Photo
- - - - -

The Guild Wars/2 Topic *Its Out All the Way Now!*

• Please log in to reply
1255 replies to this topic

#31 Kayden

Kayden

Posted 11 October 2005 - 01:24 PM

cool - I just picked it up off of a CAG - great game so far = I'm about an hour in - I haven't had the time to figure out how to party up though :-s

Click the person you want to party with and then click the + next to their name.

I'm going to pick up Guild Wars later this week. Anybody have any recommendations on classes and such?

I want to start with something simple like a tank warrior. But I then want to do something interesting as my secondary class. I was thinking Mesmer, since that's a tricky class to play it seems. That'll give me a chance to practice it.

And for some spells you need to get in close. That way I can not just walk into the fray but unleash one or two DoT spells or hexes. I hear energy is low with warriors but Mesmers have some spells that give them more energy points from what I've read.

They say moonk is one way to go but I think that would be common. Not to mention, I would assume that in PvP pure monks would be healing. Thought a Wrrior Necro sounds interesting because I could increase my attack damage with necro spells and also drain enemies for healing too.

I can't wait to play. I've heard there are afew balance issues so I want to know what's a good class combination.

Subbing any class as a warrior will really hose your mana supply. The most popular build is w/mo. You cant heal for shit, but they have some spells that really save your ass. There are also 2 enchantments you can pop on yourself that are just great. One raises your damage and the other heals you every time you attack. Then there are skills that heal you every time you get attacked. The only bad part is enchants take one |> of mana (regen unit). So since warriors only have 2 |> You cant regen mana.

I had some success with a Mo/war tank. I didn't do the most damage, but I could hold 3-5 guys with no real troubles. Healling everytime I attacked and then, when my life got low, cast the spell that heals me for 17 when I get hit. since most things only hit me for about 6-10, Id get fully healed by 4 guys trying to rape me. The one glarring fault with this build is the fact that mesmers rape you with shatter enchant.

My main was a R/mo. At first I played with beast mastery, but I found the pets really lacking and not worth the two skills they took up. I eventually started playing with marksmanship and traps. Traps are awesome. AOE crippling, blinding, fire damange, bleeding... such greatness in PVP. Drop a spike trap by the monks. When the warriors rush them they wind up crippled. ^_^ Wander into a melee and drop a dust trap. Their warriors = blind = pwnt! That damn mage kiting your warriors away? Cripple FTW! Casters in a group? Spam barrage! With a 1 second cool down and 5 mana cost, its the best way to hit 5 people for 50 damage repeated. :twisted: Casters being annoying? Drop a choking gas arrow and they cant cast shit (aoe too). Theres another arrow enchant that causes bleeding and does +30 damage to enchanted targets. Combined with doubleshot, you can do 200 damage in one attack.

And amazing as I make the Ranger sound, they're one of the least desired classes. :sad: I also had rez on hand just for the hell of it.

Elementalist are pretty easy to solo with. They have a buff that heals them for 250% of the mana cost of their spells. So drop a lava font and then spam fireball and youll keep healed and aoe them. Subbing monk will also give you a massive mana pool to heal with.

Wasn't much of a fan of Mesmers, but they had some decent skills that would support a warrior. You can steal mana and life, damage monks that keep healing... bunch of fun stuff.

Necros are to be feared. I've PVPd against necros that could raise 20 minions. O_O. The way the game is setup, you generally cant summon a 4th before the first one deteriorates. However, if you have a good monk, he can just keep casting blood of the master to heal all the minions and then theres the monk's AOE heal and its just scary. Necros also get mana for EVERY death near them. Nothing dominates PVP like a properly spec'd zookeeper.

Its really a pretty great game, I just go sick of dealling with all the stupid fucks.

Posted Image Posted Image

Kayden you would be awesome in Congress.

#32 Admiral Ackbar

Admiral Ackbar

It's a trap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2005 - 02:46 PM

Hmm.. maybe I should reverse tyhings then and go with a primary of either a monk or mesmer and a secondary of a werrior.

I don't get somethinmg. Maybe you cna explain it Kayden. How does the second class efefct stats? Does it only effect skills?

In other words, I guess HP and Mana are the same for all warriors, no matter what secondary class you get. That the only think you get from a second class is skills.

Anmd if so, what's the stat breakdown. i've read several FAQ's at gamespot but they don't really explain the hp, mp stats of each class and how they advance.

The 2014 E3 Theme: "Coming in 2015."

#33 LaseK

LaseK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2005 - 03:08 PM

This game got really boring after awhile. If any of you ever heard of the guild Final Dynasty [FnlD], we got rank #3 or #4 at our highest once we realized that all you need to do to win ANY PvP game is to run in and cast Maelstrom on the guild lord while spamming Rend Enchantments, Strip Enchantments, and have two protection monks alternating Aegis and Healing Hands on the people targetting us. The rest are air elementalists nuking the Guild Lord. He falls, we win, gg.

"I don't get somethinmg. Maybe you cna explain it Kayden. How does the second class efefct stats? Does it only effect skills? "

Yes. Hence, a W/E will be able to cast maybe one low mana spell, and won't even be able to cast high-energy air spells, yet a E/W can basically spam them. You can't use a secondary classes primary attribute (E's is Energy Storage) if its a secondary class.
hellogoodbye on the microphone

#34 Kayden

Kayden

Posted 11 October 2005 - 04:00 PM

90% of your character is determined by your main class. Armor, HP, mana, mana regen and class skill. Each class has 5 skills. You can only get 4 of them when its your sub. Monks special is Divine favor, rangers get Expertise, etc. Any ability that requires that skill can only be level 0 if that profession is you sub.

#35 dude2003

dude2003

CAGiversary! x 10

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:44 PM

picked it up 2 weeks ago and about 20 hours in
currently lvl 11 w/me not using too much mesmer spells due to lack of mana but i can tank
if you wanna do a quest together you can message me (Oriental Dragon)

#36 Admiral Ackbar

Admiral Ackbar

It's a trap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:38 PM

Well, I bought it today. So maybe I'll pop on tonight. I won't be back from the gym until at least eight though. SO maybe I won't get on until nine. and then only be on long tenough to make a character and see what's what.

#37 Admiral Ackbar

Admiral Ackbar

It's a trap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2005 - 02:22 AM

I created a wrrior and reached level 2. Haven't subbed any other class yet. Gained my first couple of skills to.

Eventuually it looks like I'll want to do an Elementalist/Necro. That looks like a good skill combo. As an Elementalist I''ll get bonus mana and have their spells. As a Necro I'll be able to drain health if I get low and raise dead as allies to help protect me.

It's nice you get four classs. But I admit rangers look kinda blah. Traps look cool.

I need to figure out the stat breakdown of classes.

#38 Admiral Ackbar

Admiral Ackbar

It's a trap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:57 PM

I'm level 2 now and if my dog stops bothering me I'm going to get on now.

Look for me, Daegar Firebrand. level 2 warrior.

#39 Admiral Ackbar

Admiral Ackbar

It's a trap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:24 AM

Looks like this thread is dead. :P

Anyway, i'd like to team up with some CAG's this weekend. I'm now a Level 5 W/Mo. Been doing some quests to gain XP. SO fare everyone I've teamed with has also been a W/Mo. So it would be nice if I could join up with someone other class.

PM me if you're intereested or just post here.

Also, is there a CAG Clan?

#40 greenpea

greenpea

MMMMMM....Turkey

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:43 PM

Looks like this thread is dead. :P

Anyway, i'd like to team up with some CAG's this weekend. I'm now a Level 5 W/Mo. Been doing some quests to gain XP. SO fare everyone I've teamed with has also been a W/Mo. So it would be nice if I could join up with someone other class.

PM me if you're intereested or just post here.

Also, is there a CAG Clan?

THere is a Cag Guild. Look for more info in the first post of the thread. I haven't played this in a while, so I can't remember who you need to get the invite from.

#41 dude2003

dude2003

CAGiversary! x 10

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2005 - 06:59 PM

i'll be playing this weekend. i'm in a rare class - W/Me so if you'd like to team up look for Oriental Dragon in post searing. i'm still a noob though. still trying to figure things out.

#42 Admiral Ackbar

Admiral Ackbar

It's a trap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:58 PM

Okay, cool. I'll be logging on tonight probably.

How's the ME working out. Or are you screwed because of lack of mana?

#43 dude2003

dude2003

CAGiversary! x 10

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:05 PM

pretty much screwed because of lack of mana but the mesmer spells are powerful against a group

#44 Renegade_Zero

Renegade_Zero

D1 Scholarship

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2005 - 07:23 AM

Ackbar if you need any help msg me in game- chuck the great. I'll help you with whatever put me on your friend's list yeah? you as well dude and whoever else needs help. I've gotten kind of bored with this game so I might as well help since i'm still playing every day.
Super Smash Bros Brawl FC
Chuck 2191-7319-7874
Posted Image

#45 Admiral Ackbar

Admiral Ackbar

It's a trap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2005 - 05:26 PM

What's the firends list? I haven;'t found out how to use it yet.

Edit: I see it's 'N' on the keyboard from the reference card.

#46 Lord Melvin

Lord Melvin

Posted 16 October 2005 - 04:32 AM

To add a friend you just type in their name at the top of the friends list, and then it will show you when any of the characters on their account are on. Feel free to add me, my name in game is Lord Melvin too, and if im ever on I can help you out.

And yes, there is a CAG guild, its just not really active right now. But if youd like to be in the guild, just let me know and I can send you an invite.
Posted Image

#47 Kayden

Kayden

Posted 16 October 2005 - 02:45 PM

To add a friend you just type in their name at the top of the friends list, and then it will show you when any of the characters on their account are on. Feel free to add me, my name in game is Lord Melvin too, and if im ever on I can help you out.

And yes, there is a CAG guild, its just not really active right now. But if youd like to be in the guild, just let me know and I can send you an invite.

O_o! You live!

#48 Lord Melvin

Lord Melvin

Posted 16 October 2005 - 05:18 PM

O_o! You live!

Yep, im just really busy going to school and working.
Posted Image

#49 Admiral Ackbar

Admiral Ackbar

It's a trap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2005 - 01:35 PM

When you join a guild does that affect all your characters?

Oh, and are there any detrimental effects when you get killed. Loss of XP? Gold?

#50 Moxio

Moxio

Supervillain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2005 - 12:13 AM

When you join a guild does that affect all your characters?

Oh, and are there any detrimental effects when you get killed. Loss of XP? Gold?

When you join a guild, you get a nifty cape (ours rocks).

As for being killed, you loose HP and MP percentage. Ex. die once, you have 80 % of max health/MP. Die twice, you have 60%. Etc etc.

#51 dude2003

dude2003

CAGiversary! x 10

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2005 - 05:18 PM

When you join a guild, you get a nifty cape (ours rocks).

As for being killed, you loose HP and MP percentage. Ex. die once, you have 80 % of max health/MP. Die twice, you have 60%. Etc etc.

but you can get back to 100% health/mana if you restart from town

#52 Lord Melvin

Lord Melvin

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:22 AM

You can also get rid of death penalty by killing monsters and bosses, or other people if you're doing pvp.
Posted Image

#53 Admiral Ackbar

Admiral Ackbar

It's a trap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2005 - 09:48 PM

I created my second character last night. "I Admiral Ackbar I"

I laughed when someone called me a retard when I first logged in. A couple more gave lol's and I even saw a "wow."

Anyway, he's an elementalist. But now I gotta figure what class to hook together with.

I have three in mind.

First is Mesmer. I can combine my larger elementalist energy pool with some of the cool debuff and hex powers of the mesmer. It would be a nice fit but I wouldn't have much defense or healing in PVP or PvE.

Second is Necroe. This was my original intention. Because I can use spells that both drain health and add to my own. I can also summon the dead to act as warriors to supplement my lack of combat wariness. But in PVP I would think that enemies would ignore the undead and come straight for me.

Then there's the Ranger. It doesn't seem like a good mix. But I could summon an animal to act as a fellow fighter like the Necro can summon undead. That's good for PvE. But in PVP I coulkd lay traps to defend myself and slow down attackers as they try to get to me. Then unleash spells.

Right nwo I'm leaning towards mesmer for pure magical combat.

#54 Renegade_Zero

Renegade_Zero

D1 Scholarship

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2005 - 11:19 PM

I had an Ele/Mes once and it was pretty effective. not if you're going for a AOE nuker though. At least not in my opinion. I wouldn't use necro for summoning though, as without runes the highest level you can get I believe is 12 or 13 and I don't find that useful enough to really be worth maxing it out. Ranger with a pet though wouldn't be a bad idea, as you could send your pet in then nuke people while they're surrounding it if you wanna solo. If you want more info message me in game Chuck The Great
Chuck 2191-7319-7874
Posted Image

#55 Admiral Ackbar

Admiral Ackbar

It's a trap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2005 - 02:06 AM

Aoe?

#56 Lord Melvin

Lord Melvin

Posted 22 October 2005 - 06:05 PM

AoE is area of effect. Basically its anything that will hit your target and other creatures around your target. Eles have tons of these. Another one you might need to know is DoT, which is damage over time, like bleeding or poison.
Posted Image

#57 spyhunterk19

spyhunterk19

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2005 - 06:28 PM

I got this game 2 weeks ago about, but I have my own Guild from my school.

Lvl 18 Mo/Me - Shank Shank
Posted Image

#58 Admiral Ackbar

Admiral Ackbar

It's a trap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:58 PM

I just discovered that you can use the upgraded salvaging tools to salvage magical enchantments and apply them to other items. Very cool.

Also, What are runes for and how are they applied? Most of them seem to affect skills. Are they applied to equipment? And I also found a rune that will expand the number of storage spaces on your "sack" olr something like that. Will that work on your belt pouch?

#59 Renegade_Zero

Renegade_Zero

D1 Scholarship

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2005 - 04:10 AM

I just discovered that you can use the upgraded salvaging tools to salvage magical enchantments and apply them to other items. Very cool.

Also, What are runes for and how are they applied? Most of them seem to affect skills. Are they applied to equipment? And I also found a rune that will expand the number of storage spaces on your "sack" olr something like that. Will that work on your belt pouch?

Runes up your attribute points by 1 for minor, 2 for major, and 3 for superior. but there are penalties on major and superior, -50hp for major and -75 superior. most people use 1 superior rune on a char. and runes of holding u just apply to the bag and it makes you able to hold 10 items in each bag. as for the belt pouch, no you can only have 5 in the belt pouch. but with the inventory, belt pouch and 2 bags, you should have 45 spaces and I feel as it's enough.
Chuck 2191-7319-7874
Posted Image

#60 kingtz

kingtz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:48 AM

I created my second character last night. "I Admiral Ackbar I"

I laughed when someone called me a retard when I first logged in. A couple more gave lol's and I even saw a "wow."

Anyway, he's an elementalist. But now I gotta figure what class to hook together with.

I have three in mind.

First is Mesmer. I can combine my larger elementalist energy pool with some of the cool debuff and hex powers of the mesmer. It would be a nice fit but I wouldn't have much defense or healing in PVP or PvE.

Second is Necroe. This was my original intention. Because I can use spells that both drain health and add to my own. I can also summon the dead to act as warriors to supplement my lack of combat wariness. But in PVP I would think that enemies would ignore the undead and come straight for me.

Then there's the Ranger. It doesn't seem like a good mix. But I could summon an animal to act as a fellow fighter like the Necro can summon undead. That's good for PvE. But in PVP I coulkd lay traps to defend myself and slow down attackers as they try to get to me. Then unleash spells.

Right nwo I'm leaning towards mesmer for pure magical combat.

Mesmer is actually a great secondary for an elementalist. These days E/Me are very high in demand in high-level areas such as UW/FoW, because these Ele have access to one very powerful Mesmer skill, Echo. These eles are known as "Echo Nukers" and they can pretty much use Meteor Shower twice in a row, while a regular ele uses it once, and has to wait for it to recharge. Like I said, "Echo Nukers" are very much in demand and you'll be dealing twice the nuking damage of a regular ele.
Posted Image