Photo
- - - - -

MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6316 replies to this topic

#5491 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:40 AM

i think rape not being funny has already been well established.

a cain rematch would suck, i want to see them both fight others a couple times before that, build the rematch back up.

I like cain vs. werdum a lot. its difficult being mir is the only option riding a win streak. Reem really put the ufc in a bad spot, the loss of brock like chase mentioned is a big deal. since he was almost certainly on the sauce for that one too.
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#5492 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

Rampage is going out of the UFC after losing to Shogun anyway, so I doubt he cares. He pretty much always said and did what he wanted anyway no matter how it looked and his humor is a bit different from what most could consider "funny", but he's leaving after his next fight so he doesn't care.

On the Overeem note, I'm not surprised and I am glad he finally got busted. It was only a matter of time and it was clear for years now that he never got that huge (he is...HUGE) naturally.

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#5493 Chase

Chase

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

205 Overeem looks like a different person from 265 Overeem. I think the Nevada State Athletic Commission having a 6:1 limit for testosterone encourages fighters to abuse their therapeutic use exemptions. Rumor has it that Overeem's T levels were higher than the reported 10:1.

I think Mir has earned a title shot if Overeem can't get licensed. Velasquez still needs a win to put himself back "in the mix." Rumblings indicate that the UFC is leaning towards Nelson-Mitrione—but I'm pulling for a Nelson-Hunt fight. Give the Mitrione fight to Struve.

And I'm fine with Velasquez-Big Foot. It was rumored before and I'm still interested in seeing how Cain fairs against the living Easter Island moai.

As for Rampage, I've become indifferent to his childish shenanigans and never-ending excuses.

Quick note: I did something new with the "frontpage"/opening thread. More info packed into each week with better categorizing. And don't forget to add yourselves to the Twitter list. ;)

#5494 icp_00_111

icp_00_111

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

I agree completly with the post above for the different matches, I am not a big fan of Mir vs. JDS but what can you do. I do like Nelson/Hunt match alot and hope they make that one set in stone soon.

#5495 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

I haven't seen Hunt in a while. Has his ground game improved at all? I can't imagine it being anything but Big Country rolling Hunt with my current image of Super Samoan.

#5496 icp_00_111

icp_00_111

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

Yeah, good point, I kinda just hope it is two fat dudes swinging for the fences lol. It would be in Big Country's favor to get it to the ground.

#5497 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

nelson would tap hunt in under a minute if he takes him to the ground. i think cain/silva is a very good fight. im not enthralled with any of the other possible fights. oh well.

Posted Image

#5498 Chase

Chase

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:34 AM

Hmm. Yes... Yes, I can see Roy Nelson getting an inside leg trip, then plying various subs in an attempt to catch Mark Hunt with one.

If they keep it on the feet, I'd give Hunt the edge for R1. His conditioning has looked a lot better since the Ben Rothwell fight. I forgot what he did, but he mentioned a change in his diet or training.

On the ground, I give Roy the nod. His jiujitsu game is solid.

Oh, and hey, we found out today that Alistair Overeem's T levels were— Cue drum roll— Fourteen-to-one. 14:1. That is 1400-percent. Good lord almighty.

New NickTheFace, too.

So freakin' good. He mentioned on Twitter that he was an hour away from finishing this promo when news broke about Overeem's drama.

#5499 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

I was holding out hope that Reem would test clean because drug violations is the last thing the sport needs at this point. That said, I am not really surprised that he got caught. The last bust that surprised me was Royce after Gracie/Saku II, in a "Why??" sort of way.

#5500 Chase

Chase

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

Yeah, Royce testing positive for anabolic steroids came out of the blue. Just goes to show you how much damage can be accrued throughout a fighter's career and why people choose to fight smart, like St-Pierre.

At least fighters wear gloves sized to protect the hand while still able to put out fight-ending damage. Boxing is ridiculous. Oversized gloves that protect hands better than they protect the actual boxer.

I've seen some stupid comments at various MMA avenues. More people who try to talk MMA need to understand a.) how T:E levels work, and b.) what testosterone does and why it's different from steroids. They should try to understand why 14:1 is ridiculous.

Fedor's next fight is scheduled for June 21. The heavyweight free agent pool is limited. I'll watch any fight, but would only be interested in fights against Cro Cop or Kharitonov. I'd rather not see rematches against Arlovski and Sylvia. And Bobby Lashley is pretty unimpressive and would get his face assigned to the ground.

#5501 Chase

Chase

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:49 AM

There's something I don't like about back-to-back posts, but this is a pretty interesting development.

Posted Image

According to Dana, Mir-Velasquez will still happen. Okay. If it's not Mir (or Velasquez, for that matter), then it's either Werdum, Fedor (which won't happen), or someone in the mid-tier of the division. Perhaps, and I know it's a bit of a stretch if you haven't been following the trends on Twitter— But just perhaps, #RallyForMarkHunt worked.

Hunt-Dos Santos would be incredible.

#5502 Magiblaze

Magiblaze

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

Could possibly be Dan Henderson as crazy as it sounds.I imagine they'll go with Werdum if they won't go with Mir.Could be Dan but seems less likely then Werdum but Dan says hes up for it and wants a title shot at at 205 or 185 and seems from what hes said recently he'd do 265 too.

#5503 Chase

Chase

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

Could be Hendo. I saw his tweet where he said he'd fight Junior dos Santos if asked by the UFC. But, I'm somewhat hesitant to believe they'd sacrifice a 185/205 contender to Cigano. I love Hendo, one of the best U.S.-born fighters, but Cigano is bigger and, while he might not finish Hendo with strikes on the feet, he would hurt and probably sub him.

Dependent on who you follow on Twitter, you have people saying that Overeem-Dos Santos will still happen, others saying Dana is holding back Plan B (Mir-Dos Santos), a small contingent hoping for Werdum, and a strong majority cheering for Mark Hunt. I won't lie: Hunt gets the fight and I'll be as excited for Hunt-Dos Santos as I am for Sonnen-Silva 2.

I had hoped Zuffa and M1 could come to an agreement to have Fedor in the UFC. While M1 has dropped their "co-promotion" stipulation, they still hold hostage the greatest heavyweight of all-time. Lorenzo said recently that he'd be open to discussion with M1. Dana's grudge be damned, if Rob Broughton, Steve Cantwell, and Mike Massenzio have jobs, then Fedor deserves a place in the UFC.

#5504 Chase

Chase

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:29 AM

Posted this in the freshly updated OP.

Pretty impressive considering how that suit impairs his vision and breathing. That cartwheel is a thing of wonderment. :applause:

#5505 Kuroi Kaze

Kuroi Kaze

Yes, I toss douches.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

he is trading vision/breathing for possible other advantages of the material. the cartwheel pass is ok but like most showy BJJ moves it didn't actually advance his position much.

sig.gif
Sekai wa hiroi yo!

#5506 knees_n_elbows

knees_n_elbows

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

Posted this in the freshly updated OP.

Pretty impressive considering how that suit impairs his vision and breathing. That cartwheel is a thing of wonderment. :applause:

is the person who named the youtube video color blind? theres nothing green about that man.
Posted Image

#5507 Chase

Chase

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:38 AM

That is true, Kaze. I don't have nearly enough grappling experience to say for certain, but the material looks to have helped him in a few positions.

And Knees, there is certainly nothing green about that man. Hahaha... User probably did it for page views.

First episode of UFC Primetime: Jones vs. Evans is up. I have heard a lot of buzz about the episode.

#5508 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:02 AM

is the person who named the youtube video color blind? theres nothing green about that man.

Either that or they're familiar with the character from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

#5509 Magiblaze

Magiblaze

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

Either that or they're familiar with the character from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Great show.

#5510 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Ended up watching the UFC Primetime last night. Never watched it before, but was bored so decided to take a peak. I enjoyed watching it and it makes me even more excited for their upcoming fight. I am rooting for Jones just because of his freak nature and raw talent.

It's already been said before, but if there's anyone in 205 that would even come close it would be Rashad. The fact that they are former training partners will play a role I think. Regardless if Jones has been constantly evolving, Evans should still have a rough idea of what it's going to take.

Also looking forward to seeing Miguel Torres back in the Octagon and on the Main Card.

Posted Image
"War? War never changes.."

#5511 Chase

Chase

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:33 AM

I'm a fan of both Jones and Evans. I think this is the last test for Jones at 205. Gustafsson is a work-in-progress, Hendo would probably get caught in a rear naked choke... And that's about it for 205.

Posted Image

I think Jones finishes Evans in R4 by submission. People have said that Evans would have an advantage if he can get and hold Jones on his back. I think executing that gameplan against Jones would be quite a task. Jones controlled Rua, Jackson, and Machida. Rua and Machida are BJJ blackbelts, and Jackson had some of the best hips in MMA. On the feet, I think Evans has better technique and power, but Jones has his length and far more weapons.

Updated the OP. One thing I want to point out is Akiyama-Alves. I guess Akiyama doesn't get a tune-up fight. He arguably beats Jake Shields, and is victim to uncalled, illegal strikes by Belfort. I can't help but feel sorry for The Sexy One.

Alves is my pick simply because I see him outstriking Akiyama on the feet. But hell, Alves always finds a way to lose, and isn't exactly a safe bet.

#5512 Chase

Chase

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

A hilarious NickTheFace contribution to #RallyForMarkHunt.

FuqjmQxwgDg

#5513 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

i mustve been drinking when i made my picks for this event.

bummed to see siyar the killer is siyar the great now. no idea when that changed. one of the few picks i got right on this card.

Posted Image

#5514 Chase

Chase

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

i mustve been drinking when i made my picks for this event.

bummed to see siyar the killer is siyar the great now. no idea when that changed. one of the few picks i got right on this card.

I think it's safe to assume Bahadurzada changed his moniker given that (stupid) people in the U.S. would probably be less-than-welcoming towards an Afghan named "The Killer."

And have you read his Twitter? A change in the breeze and he goes on exhausting rants about the social climate in Afghanistan. I should have picked Bahadurzada. One of a few times where I picked with my heart instead of my head. Dumb, dumb mistake. Thiago does wars, and Bahadurzada outclasses him on the feet.

On the flip side, I went 7 for 12. Not too bad. GamblingFury mentioned Brian Stann enduring the recent death of his friend and personal issues, and moving his camp—but I figured that would fire up the Marine even more than he had been. Really glad I didn't stray from my pick. Plus, Sakara is just a mediocre fighter.

Out of all the picks I missed, I'm only pissed that Papy Abedi is seemingly a dud. I will be very hesitant to pick him again. He lost to James Head. Good lord.

And I'm a little bummed that my underdog DeBlass didn't get it done. I know he was injured, but I figured he could sub Diabate in the first round before he gassed. And I'm torn about the Wisely loss. Young scored some takedowns, but did little with them, while Wisely worked a lot off his back and outstruck him.

Here are my picks if you want a peep: fantasy.sherdog.com/cards/view/user:100

#5515 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

yeah i follow him on twitter, im a fan of his. Hes the killer, this the great business is for the birds.

I was happy to see cyrille win but i had deblass too, I thought hed take him down and get a stoppage.

Posted Image

#5516 Chase

Chase

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:15 AM

I updated the OP with the latest and greatest.

One thing I want to touch on from the OP. I think a fight with Jake Shields would be good for Brian Stann. Shields is a name, and that fight could headline a non-PPV card. A fight with Chris Weidman might be good to eliminate a prospect from a division with other prospects like Rousimar Palhares and Mark Munoz. Speaking of Paul Harris and Munoz, I'd be okay if they booked Stann against Munoz or the winner of Palhares-Belcher.

(But really, I want to see Paul Harris-Bisping just for the possibility that Palhares snaps Bisping's leg.)

Dana commented on drug testing in the UFC. What I took away from the video is that "Super Fuckhead League" is the funniest thing I've heard all day. :lol:

#5517 Chase

Chase

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:03 AM

Added news to this week's OP.

Just want to touch on a couple things. First, Zuffa threatening Cage Potato with a lawsuit over satire about Dana White betting on UFC fights is ridiculous. And, Dana put up a vlog in 2009 where he bet on a UFC fight between— I can't recall, but the vlog is linked in the OP.

And lastly, the Olympic judoka and current Bellator middleweight champion, Hector Lombard, is finally UFC-bound.

He has been ducking Bellator Season 5 winner Alexander Shlemenko—with whom he went the distance and beat by UD in 2010. Shlemenko has been one of his toughest fights to date.

Should be interesting to see how he fairs against the upper-tier in UFC's 185 division. For his UFC debut, I'd feed him someone like Jared Hamman or Tom Lawlor. Fights with Rousimar Palhares, Wanderlei Silva, and Chris Leben would be intense. Regardless of their credentials, I almost never bet on a judoka. Unlike world-class wrestlers, the success rate of world-class judoka seems pretty low.

Edited by Chase, 19 April 2012 - 06:10 AM.

#5518 icp_00_111

icp_00_111

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:17 PM

I'm interested to see how he does also, Leben would be a pretty awesome first fight and you know it will be great one way or another. Say what you want about Leben but he always puts on a show.

#5519 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

Leben is the greatest mixed bag I've seen in MMA. Win or lose, you can bet on action with him.

#5520 Chase

Chase

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

I'm a fan of Chris Leben. He's really grown as a fighter since his first years in the UFC. For example, his fight with Akiyama shows off the grappling he didn't have when he first entered the octagon.

I have seen people doubt Leben's chin, and say that he's on a decline. I think Leben's chin is solid. He has only been stopped by top contenders, Mark Munoz and Brian Stann, and the greatest fighter of all-time and current 185 kingpin, Anderson Silva. His wins over Mike Swick and Aaron Simpson are impressive, and his wins over Yoshihiro Akiyama and Wanderlei Silva secure his place as one of 185's best gatekeepers.

I know not many people who post here watch Bellator—even I miss Bellator due to its new Friday slot. But, I catch-up on Saturday, and man, have their cards been a solid collection of fights. Bellator 66—which is tonight—should be a great card headlined by a very important 155 fight involving Shinya Aoki and Eddie Alvarez.

Despite his championship loss to Michael Chandler, Alvarez is still one of the best lightweights in the world. Aoki, who beat Alvarez in the first fight, is entering the rematch on a seven-fight win streak, with notable wins over Tatsuya Kawajiri and Satoru Kitaoka. However, Aoki's last fight in the U.S. was a UD loss to Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez.

There is heavy speculation that the winner of Aoki-Alvarez 2 will receive a UFC contract (though I'd love to see both fighters in the UFC).

Edited by Chase, 20 April 2012 - 09:34 AM.