MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
agree re: ortiz/shamrock

since that was such a big grudge match, they needed to let it go at least a few more seconds before they stepped in

and i didn't think the fans were booing tito, they were booing the ref who stopped the fight

What type of car were Tito and Shamrock fighting for, in addition to the bragging rights and pride for defeating the other guy? They announced it during the TUF 3 show, one was black (which they both wanted), and the other was yellow. I would have been happy for either color.

[quote name='PKRipp3r']word[/quote]

How did you edit the link like that? I did it for my tradelist once, but I wasn't paying attention to how I did it.

[quote name='shieryda']How did you edit the link like that? I did it for my tradelist once, but I wasn't paying attention to how I did it.[/QUOTE]

[ url= *website address* ] *What words you want shown* [/ url ]

Of course without the spaces.

[quote name='PKRipp3r']agree re: ortiz/shamrock

since that was such a big grudge match, they needed to let it go at least a few more seconds before they stepped in

and i didn't think the fans were booing tito, they were booing the ref who stopped the fight[/quote]

I think they were sort of booing him because he was celebrating the victory. Atleast thats how I took it, as they were booing him when he was talking about a win being a win.

[quote name='craven_fiend']I think they were sort of booing him because he was celebrating the victory. Atleast thats how I took it, as they were booing him when he was talking about a win being a win.[/QUOTE]

yeah that is a good point, plus i'm sure there were lots of ken fans making noise too

tito probably could have forgone the usual 'octagon leap' and other post-win showboating since it was such a lopsided victory

i wanted to see at least 30-45 seconds of good stand-up

[quote name='craven_fiend']I think they were sort of booing him because he was celebrating the victory. Atleast thats how I took it, as they were booing him when he was talking about a win being a win.[/quote]

I don't think so. Why wouldn't anyone celebrate after getting a win? He beat the shit out of Ken, and the ref stopped the fight before he got further humiliated. I think Ken owes the ref a thank you.

Tito still has a lot of animosity directored towards him for his past antics. He gained a lot of fans back with his dedication in TUF3 and saying sorry after a few fights. I would have like to see the fight go for a few more shots, but thats what the ref called.

I listened to Silvia on the radio after the fight, he actually got a concussion.

Anyone see the first episode of "TUF 4: The Comeback"? My TiVo stopped recording before the end of the fight between Carter and Clementi. I'll have to set it to record an extra 5 minutes or so. fucking hilarious how Shonie was dressed in pimp attire when he got to the training facility.:D

I also found out that Andrei Arlovski trains at the same gym that my wife goes to. She said his trainer told her the reason Andrei didn't try to submit Sylvia when they fought last was because Andrei had injured his ankle...

Yeah, my Tivo chopped off the last bit of the first episode as well. I think as long as there isn't a live event airing before it you'll be fine without adding time to the recording.

I meant to record the end of it on a re-airing, but then I saw a promo for this week's episode during Blade and it mentioned the winner in the first 3 seconds of the spot. So guess I don't need to worry with that now...

The fight on episode 2 was the bloodiest I have seen in a while. it was just pouring out of DeWees and just when you thought it had stopped he would grind his forehead into the mat and open it up again.

I hope Bonnar vs. Griffen 2 is as good as the first one (the best fight I've ever seen) I'm definitley looking forward to UFC 62 tonight!

[quote name='advancedgamer468']I hope Bonnar vs. Griffen 2 is as good as the first one (the best fight I've ever seen) I'm definitley looking forward to UFC 62 tonight![/quote]

So what were the results of last night's events?

Hermes Franca b. Jamie Varner - Hermes Franca defeats Jamie Varner via submission at 3:31 of Round Three.

Cheick Kongo b. Christian Wellisch - Cheick Kongo defeats Christian Wellisch via TKO at 2:51 of Round One.

Nick Diaz b. Josh Neer - Nick Diaz defeats Josh Neer via submission at 1:42 of Round Three.

Forrest Griffin b. Stephan Bonnar - Forrest Griffin defeats Stephan Bonnar via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

Chuck Liddell b. Renato "Babalu" Sobral - Chuck Liddell defeats Renato "Babalu" Sobral via TKO at 1:35 of Round One.

[quote name='mykevermin']Hermes Franca b. Jamie Varner - Hermes Franca defeats Jamie Varner via submission at 3:31 of Round Three.

Cheick Kongo b. Christian Wellisch - Cheick Kongo defeats Christian Wellisch via TKO at 2:51 of Round One.

Nick Diaz b. Josh Neer - Nick Diaz defeats Josh Neer via submission at 1:42 of Round Three.

Forrest Griffin b. Stephan Bonnar - Forrest Griffin defeats Stephan Bonnar via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

Chuck Liddell b. Renato "Babalu" Sobral - Chuck Liddell defeats Renato "Babalu" Sobral via TKO at 1:35 of Round One.[/quote]

Thanks. I just finished watching the Gideon Ray vs. Edwin DeWees fight. Holy fuck, was that a bloody match! It was as if an artery had been severed!

[quote name='shieryda']Thanks. I just finished watching the Gideon Ray vs. Edwin DeWees fight. Holy fuck, was that a bloody match! It was as if an artery had been severed![/quote]

And when it would quit bleeding for a little bit, he would rub his face into the mat and it would open back up. By the end pretty much the entire ring was covered. Pretty good fight though.

Same with the PPV last night, the card seemed a little weak, but it turned out to be fairly good.

Who is Matt Hughes going to be fighting in UFC 63? On the website, it says he'll be fighting BJ Penn, but the insert in my DirecTV bill has him fighting George St. Pierre.

[quote name='shieryda']Who is Matt Hughes going to be fighting in UFC 63? On the website, it says he'll be fighting BJ Penn, but the insert in my DirecTV bill has him fighting George St. Pierre.[/QUOTE]
St. Pierre had to pull out due to a groin injury. Penn is stepping in. Gonna be a championship fight.

When Penn made his comeback and fought St. Pierre it was a good fight. Penn lost a decision but St. Pierre's face was all sorts of fucked up and Penn had no scratches on him.

I think Penn has a good chance at beating Hughes. Either way it will be good.

if anyone cares im attending my first BJJ/MMA class tomorrow. ive been wanting to start training for a while and finally decided to do it

Does anyone know how Anderson Silva is getting a title shot already? they announced he will be fighting Franklin on UFC 63 I believe.

[quote name='cthcky33']if anyone cares im attending my first BJJ/MMA class tomorrow. ive been wanting to start training for a while and finally decided to do it[/quote]

At a gym or a dojo? I want to start some martial arts training, but I don't know which style to choose. Maybe Tae Kwan Do?

[quote name='shieryda']At a gym or a dojo? I want to start some martial arts training, but I don't know which style to choose. Maybe Tae Kwan Do?[/QUOTE]

My friend took Tae Kwan Do (sp? most def) He sais its like 75% Defensive.

So, is anyone else excited to find out what happens at the Pride GP?

Here's the official card.

1. Yousuke Nishijima vs Evangelista Cyborg

2. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs Josh Barnett

3. Mirko Cro Cop vs Wanderlei Silva

4. Sergei Kharitonov vs Aleksander Emelianenko

5. Lee Tae Hyun vs Ricardo Morais

6. Kazuhiro Nakamura vs Yoshihiro Nakao

7. Ricardo Arona vs Allistair Overeem

8. Mauricio Shogun vs Cyrille Diabate

9. OWGP Championshiop Final

I have Cro Cop over Nog in the finals.

[quote name='pimpinc333']My friend took Tae Kwan Do (sp? most def) He sais its like 75% Defensive.[/quote]
Like with all martial arts, different schools focus on different things. There are also many different styles of Tae Kwon Do.

To get what you want you pretty much just have to try and sit in on a couple of classes to see if it offers what you are specifically looking for.

Some Tae Kwon Do schools focus 99% on sparring, others focus more on the actual martial art aspect. Just depends on what you're looking for.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']So, is anyone else excited to find out what happens at the Pride GP?

Here's the official card.

1. Yousuke Nishijima vs Evangelista Cyborg

2. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs Josh Barnett

3. Mirko Cro Cop vs Wanderlei Silva

4. Sergei Kharitonov vs Aleksander Emelianenko

5. Lee Tae Hyun vs Ricardo Morais

6. Kazuhiro Nakamura vs Yoshihiro Nakao

7. Ricardo Arona vs Allistair Overeem

8. Mauricio Shogun vs Cyrille Diabate

9. OWGP Championshiop Final

I have Cro Cop over Nog in the finals.[/quote]

Too many great fighters to the card. I just wished the fighters in UFC were as welll rounded as most of the Pride FC fighters. I mean in every class in the ufc there is the champion and hadly any real competition for them.

[quote name='shieryda']Ready for the Ortiz/Shamrock re-re-match? October 10 on Spike TV. It's free this time, for those of us who feel ripped off from the previous 2 PPV events in which they fought.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=3151[/QUOTE]
When thye anounce more fights I will be. Sure the match is free. but I am expecting the same out come a bit longer than the second fight though.

[quote name='ECW_fan']When thye anounce more fights I will be. Sure the match is free. but I am expecting the same out come a bit longer than the second fight though.[/quote]
So, how many times has Shamrock "retired" or it has been his "last fight?"

[quote name='itspaidgasterblaster']Too many great fighters to the card. I just wished the fighters in UFC were as welll rounded as most of the Pride FC fighters. I mean in every class in the ufc there is the champion and hadly any real competition for them.[/quote]

The heavyweights in UFC aren't very deep, but I think the middleweight and welterweight are better than Pride.

Matt Hughes Vs. BJ Penn

Mike Swick Vs. David Loiseau

Jason Lambert Vs. Rashad Evans

Joe Lauzon Vs. Jens Pulver

Gabe Ruediger Vs. Melvin Guillard

*Roger Huerta Vs. Jason Dent

*Mario Neto Vs. Eddie Sanchez

*Danny Abbadi Vs. Jorge Gurgel

*David Lee Vs. Tyson Griffin

*may not be broadcast

Looks like a pretty decent card for tomorrow night. Hopefully we get to see the Gurgel/Abbadi, just because I want to see Danny get demolished. :bouncy:

If Tito vs. Ken 2 wasn't bad enough, we get to see round 3 tonight!!

Thankfully it is on SPIKE, so we won't have to pay to see the destruction.

[quote name='AK85']If Tito vs. Ken 2 wasn't bad enough, we get to see round 3 tonight!!

Thankfully it is on SPIKE, so we won't have to pay to see the destruction.[/QUOTE]I'm still rooting for Shamrock. :) I need to DVR it since i'll bhe at work though :(

[quote name='pimpinc333']I'm still rooting for Shamrock. :) I need to DVR it since i'll bhe at work though :([/quote]

I will be at school, so I will have to tape it as well, but I wouldn't mind seeing Shamrock win. The only thing would be if he won, there would probably be a 4 and maybe 5, and I really don't want to see that so........I guess I am saying go Tito. :lol:

I used to really like Shamrock just because he was a vet and I caught his first UFC match (on tape not back when it happened) where he manned up and admitted that he had tapped out when the ref hadn't seen the tap and was probably going to let the match go on if Sham insisted on it. (Damn some of the refs at the early UFCs sucked...) But after he was such a shitty coach on his season of TUF, basically he was just there to get his match against Tito, meh screw him.

[quote name='shieryda']I'll think I'll be able to reserve 3 minutes to watch the fight tonight (that's all it'll take, anyways).[/QUOTE]

Looks like you were able to find time to brush your teeth tonight, too.

[quote name='AK85']Pretty much what I was expecting ;)[/quote]

Yep. Anyone not predicting a first round KO by Tito or ref. stoppage is pretty much clueless. I'm still not sure if I like the fact that they are "friends" now after this fight. I guess it's cool that Tito said he respects Ken now.

Pretty good show. Watched it on DVR, so I didn't have to sit through all the filler :mrgreen:

Hammil (deaf guy) looked pretty impressive, although there is something about him I just don't really like. It was a somewhat tough fight to watch IMO, what with Hammil grinding his elbow and hand into Petruzelli's hurt bloodied eye.

Herman's fight was short, but with all of the movement and reversals of guard it was pretty entertaining.

Grove - Price was stopped too early I thought.

And Tito crushed Shamrock as expected. I'd love to see Liddell kick his ass in December. I'd say the UFC has milked the 'old vet takes on a top guy and gets dominated' thing pretty well dry at this point. I think that's the 3rd fight like that this year. (Two Shamrock and one Gracie matches.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back