MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello yeah. I want to see matt get destroyed like Franklin did. Every body mentions how Matt Hughes was great in his last fight but if BJ Penn made him look like a beginner for the first 2 rounds. BJJ at its best.

I don't think GSP will destroy Hughes. I can honestly see this fight going into the 4th or 5th round. I see this fight being similar to the Hughes vs. Penn fight. If it ends in or before the 3rd round I see GSP winning. But if it goes into the 4th or 5th Hughes will win, his cardio is just too good. I don't know if GSP can defend Hughes' takedown effectively. If Hughes wants to stand with GSP he will probably get KTFO. Should be a great fight either way. Too bad the rest of the card is ass.

Well GSP has been training with one of the best BJJ black belts so I would think that it wont be the same as the last fight. Also for Matt Hughes so call vicious ground and pound its a joke, i have not seen him open cuts like Kenny or David. He always says I want to knock the guy out but its pure BS. You're probably correct about his cardio, but just look at Franklin vs. Anderson.

Wait a minute are you saying that Kenny Florian has better GnP than Matt Hughes? Ok let's get one thing straight, good Ground n' Pound isn't based on if you can cut someone or not. David Loiseau uses his elbows to try to knock people out, they are viscious almost beyond belief. When Kenny Florian uses elbows he is trying to cut his opponent and get an early stoppage. There is a BIG difference between the two. Look at Florian's last fight with Sean Sherk. They were both pressed up against the fence early in the 2nd round (?) when Florian caught Sherk with an elbow that opened a huge gap on Sherk's forehead. Kenny knew there was no way he could KO Sherk with those elbows. They are grazing elbows while Loiseau's are more forceful. Kenny was purposely trying to cut Sherk and try to get a doctor stoppage. That is a cheap tactic and a pathetic way to try to win a fight.

Matt Hughes would run circles around Florian on the ground. Hughes might not be very skilled in BJJ but he is the best wrestler in the division and can really smother skilled opponents and take away their gameplans.

Matt Hughes is a great fighter and a great champion. He is too cocky and arrogant for his own good and it might be his downfall in this fight. I hope GSP wins but I won't be suprised if Hughes wins. But seriously, never compare Hughes to "Kenflo" again. That is a complete joke.

What I mean is that he never really does any considerable damage to his opponents. Look at the face of BJ Penn after the fight is over. I agree with you that he is an excellent wrestler. Look what happen when ex chute boxe academy fighter anderson silva came in to the UFC, I know its only two fights but he destroyed the champion and an up and coming guy who everyone said had a bright future. What would happen if the Militech fighting systems would fight against the red devil team from russia, the chute boxe academy or the brazilian top team. I apologize for not explaining myself better. Also while you call Matt a great champion and a great fighter, how come BJ Penn seemed to the the better fighter either standing up or in the ground, also keep in mind that BJ Penn normal weight class is 155 lbs. I think that the UFC is second to Pride FC in terms of who got the better fighters.

[quote name='itspaidgasterblaster']What I mean is that he never really does any considerable damage to his opponents. Look at the face of BJ Penn after the fight is over. I agree with you that he is an excellent wrestler. Look what happen when ex chute boxe academy fighter anderson silva came in to the UFC, I know its only two fights but he destroyed the champion and an up and coming guy who everyone said had a bright future. What would happen if the Militech fighting systems would fight against the red devil team from russia, the chute boxe academy or the brazilian top team. I apologize for not explaining myself better. Also while you call Matt a great champion and a great fighter, how come BJ Penn seemed to the the better fighter either standing up or in the ground, also keep in mind that BJ Penn normal weight class is 155 lbs. I think that the UFC is second to Pride FC in terms of who got the better fighters.[/QUOTE]
BJ Penn really never looks beat up after a fight. When he fought GSP he didn't have a scratch on him. Same thing when he fought Hughes.

If this fight stays standing, GSP will most definitely knock Hughes out, but GSP is going to have to keep this fight standing if he wants to win. I just don't see him winning the ground game against Matt.

The Monson/Silvia fight is interesting, because anything can happen. Monson is like three feet shorter than Silvia, and if the fight is taken to the ground, I think Silvia gets submitted or choked.

Who else is excited as hell to see the Crocop vs. Fedor fight? Mirko is an absolute beast right now, and I think he has a helluva opportunity to finally beat Fedor. That fight against Silva was one of the most well-fought fights I've ever seen Mirko fight. And he ended it all with his devastating left high kick.

[quote name='itspaidgasterblaster']What I mean is that he never really does any considerable damage to his opponents. Look at the face of BJ Penn after the fight is over. I agree with you that he is an excellent wrestler. Look what happen when ex chute boxe academy fighter anderson silva came in to the UFC, I know its only two fights but he destroyed the champion and an up and coming guy who everyone said had a bright future. What would happen if the Militech fighting systems would fight against the red devil team from russia, the chute boxe academy or the brazilian top team. I apologize for not explaining myself better. Also while you call Matt a great champion and a great fighter, how come BJ Penn seemed to the the better fighter either standing up or in the ground, also keep in mind that BJ Penn normal weight class is 155 lbs. I think that the UFC is second to Pride FC in terms of who got the better fighters.[/quote]
I agree with you for the most part. I think BJ Penn is P4P the most talented MMA fighter active today (except for Fedor HAHA). Hughes may not physically beat up his opponents as much as some other but this doesn't diminish the fact that he is a great champion and a world class fighter.

I'm glad that you are a fan of Pride. Anyone who considers themselves a MMA fan needs to watch Pride. It is just an entire plateau above the UFC on almost every level. If you look at both rosters as a whole Pride has a better roster with a huge advantage in depth. They are both awesome but IMO Pride is #1.

I feel Hughes is slighted by so many people because he can be a real jackass sometimes. But his accomplishments can't be denied. Saturday's fight should be great and I'm really looking forward to it.

Btw, what did you guys think of Pride's U.S. debut? I thought it was a solid show overall. It obviously could've been better but seeing Fedor fight in the States and get a great response was awesome.

The whole fightcard on Pride was excellent. I always enjoy Shogun's fights, the Robbie Lawler fight was pretty good IMO. The real deal did not have a boring fight, I thought all the fights were either good fights or great. I also agree Fedor is the best fighter today. He has excellent stand up as well as excellent ground game. As far as Matt Hughes I don't like him because of the comment he said about BJJ. I'm not saying that you can only go by with BJJ but its an integral part of any fighters training. He relies too much on his strength and I don't think he should come out and say " I want to know him out." Also the comments he made at the fight with BJ Penn (WFT). He knew that he was going to lose the fight right when th e second round was over. It was just luck that BJ Penn got hurt. I can't wait for Fedor vs. Cro cop but i'm torn because I really admire both of them as fighters and I want them to win. PS. for some reason I can't stand Josh Barnett and he is a good fighter.

PS2. Anyone in the bellflower area in so cal and is interested in learning BJJ, I know of a school i'm attending is called 310 Jiu Jitsu. I've been going for about 2 months and i've told that to everyone I know. He is a great instructor and anyone who might be interested let me know, the dues are only $100 a month.

Did any of you guys watch the fight on Saturday. Matt hughes got his ass handed to him. GSP had no trouble at all. I always said that while Matt being an excellent wrestler he was only that. Look how GSP made him look like a fool. I hate the fact that after the fight Matt was humble but before he had the audacity to say he could beat GSP standing up or on the ground. Also the other Miletech fighter Silvia was pathetic. In his last two fights he was fighting not to lose.

GSP is just way, way too good right now. Noone is going to beat him for a while. He's on top of his game mentally and physically. I've had the chance to roll with him before and his movement is just unbelievable, even compared to other world-class guys I've rolled with. He's just so fast and powerfull, his physical abilities are off the charts.

Also definitely every MMA fan owes it to themselves to watch Pride. Their talent level is through the roof, the production is top quality, you get to watch a nice freakshow matchup about once a card, etc. The ring is so much nicer than the cage since it's not all about stuffing a guy up against it so they can't do anything, the yellow-card system works well, and their scoring system makes a lot more sense.

It's easy to forget how heavyweghts can actually be good if you're forced to watch a Sylvia 25 minute snoozefest every other PPV. Fedor, Minotauro, Barnett, CroCop, Kharitonov, Hunt, etc. would all obliterate the UFC's heavyweight division.

[

It's easy to forget how heavyweghts can actually be good if you're forced to watch a Sylvia 25 minute snoozefest every other PPV. Fedor, Minotauro, Barnett, CroCop, Kharitonov, Hunt, etc. would all obliterate the UFC's heavyweight division.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you on that. Tim sylvia would have a problem with most pride heavies. He calls out fedor cause he knows it will never happen.

[quote name='Cmoore58']
I totally agree with you on that. Tim sylvia would have a problem with most pride heavies. He calls out fedor cause he knows it will never happen.[/QUOTE]

That's what irritates me the most about Sylvia, hearing him constantly call out guys who would annihilate him since he knows those fights would never happen (Fedor, LeBanner - is he kidding me?). He would not last a round with either of those guys.

Also how he talks every fight how he's going to knock his opponent the fuck out and then he goes out there and shadowboxes for a while. Basically he wins by being big and tall and boring. It's even worse that he's got 5 round fights while defending the belt. I mean his last 50 minutes of fighting have had basically no action.

Tim is bragging about his ground game now since monson didn't submit him. I think he is a good fighter but not near the level of a pride heavyweight. UNLESS you count the Henry Miller's or Giant Silva and Zulu jr. lol

I do feel the UFC 155's have a pretty good class and I think they would give pride some trouble.

[quote name='rockhero']Also definitely every MMA fan owes it to themselves to watch Pride. Their talent level is through the roof, the production is top quality, you get to watch a nice freakshow matchup about once a card, etc. The ring is so much nicer than the cage since it's not all about stuffing a guy up against it so they can't do anything, the yellow-card system works well, and their scoring system makes a lot more sense.

It's easy to forget how heavyweghts can actually be good if you're forced to watch a Sylvia 25 minute snoozefest every other PPV. Fedor, Minotauro, Barnett, CroCop, Kharitonov, Hunt, etc. would all obliterate the UFC's heavyweight division.[/quote]
I agree with pretty much everything you said. Any of the top 6 or so Pride HW's would murder Sylvia. He looked like complete ass against Monson. He says he's going to knock someone out before every fight. What he forgets to mention is how he is going to knock someone out, by shadowboxing him to death. That fight was shit and a complete disgrace to MMA.

Thank God GSP vs. Hughes lived up to the hype. I was rooting hardcore for GSP. He is an extremely talented, exciting, gracious fighter who deserves to have the belt and everything else that comes with being the champ. I hope the UFC markets the piss outta him, he really deserves it.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']That news calls for a Cro Cop quote!

"Right kick, hospital. Left kick, cemetary."[/quote]

Hah hah, best ever.

God, Cro Crop is my favorite fighter, and I've been wanting him to come to the UFC to murder every heavyweight fighter in the division.

GOD, I CAN'T WAIT FOR THEIR DEATHS!!!!!

I honestly think a left-high kick from Mirko can kill a man.

[quote name='cthcky33']just got my website up and running guys. check it out

http://telfomma.com

and now it looks like Crocop hasnt decided yet[/quote]
Well, Cro Cop has officially gone to the UFC now. Silvia has to be pissing his pants. And in case some of you don't know who Cro Cop is, here's a funny video of him.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qHo2Fv-WAM[/media]

[quote name='zewone']I can't wait to see Cro Cop and Quinton Jackson dominate the UFC.[/quote]

I think UFC really missed out on a great opportunity. They should have had Rampage guest commentate for the Chuck/Tito fight. The guy is funny as hell and has already beat Chuck within an inch of his life and will do so again. I mean, Chuck's corner threw in the towel. How sad is that?

And yeah, I feel sorry for Sanchez. He will be dead soon.

Also, I hear GSP has been injured and is out for the Feb. PPV. I wonder what match they can replace it with.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I think UFC really missed out on a great opportunity. They should have had Rampage guest commentate for the Chuck/Tito fight. The guy is funny as hell and has already beat Chuck within an inch of his life and will do so again. I mean, Chuck's corner threw in the towel. How sad is that?

And yeah, I feel sorry for Sanchez. He will be dead soon.

Also, I hear GSP has been injured and is out for the Feb. PPV. I wonder what match they can replace it with.[/QUOTE]
fuck it. GSP should still fight. It fucking Matt Serra he is fighting. A Wrestler that isn't very good at takedowns. A 50% GSP is better then Serra.

Also everyone is saying that Rampage isn't the same fighter as he used to be. I just watched that fight between Rampage and Wandi Silva. O Man did Wandi fuck Rampage up real bad. How many knee's to the face? 10?15?20?

[quote name='pimpinc333']
Also everyone is saying that Rampage isn't the same fighter as he used to be. I just watched that fight between Rampage and Wandi Silva. O Man did Wandi fuck Rampage up real bad. How many knee's to the face? 10?15?20?[/QUOTE]
I watched that fight again last night too. I think it was 37 knees. :)

I really hope Rampage is fighting like he used too. After getting beat by Shogun he hasn't been the same.

This weekend had UFC 69 Shootout and Pride 34 Kamikaze.

Here are the results:

UFC 69
Matt Serra def. Georges St. Pierre via KO due to strikes
Josh Koschek def. Diego Sanchez via decision
Yushin Okami def. Mike Swick via decision
Kendall Grove def. Alan Belchar via rear-naked choke
Roger Huerta def. Leonard Garcia via decision
Heath Herring def. Brad Imes via decision
Thales Leites def. Pete Sell via decision
Luke Cummo def. Josh Haynes via KO due to strikes

Pride 34
Jeff Monson def. Kazuyuki Fujita via to rear-naked choke
Sokoudjou Cameroon def. Ricardo Arona via KO due to strikes
Shinya Aoki def. Brian Lo-A-Njoe via armbar submission
James Thompson def. Don Frye via TKO via strikes
Gilbert Yvel def. Akira Shoji via TKO via strikes
Makoto Takimoto def. Zelg Galesic via armbar submission
Eric “Butterbean” Esch def. Zuluzinho via keylock submission
Yoshihiro Nakao def. Edson Drago via modified neck crank submission

Obviously, the big upsets are Serra over GSP and Soukou over Arona.

I don't think anyone would have guessed Serra would KO GSP. Submit him maybe, but I really underestimated his striking skills.

And Soukou has already KOed Nog and has now killed another BTT fighter. Pretty impressive. He's the real deal.

P.S. UFC 69 sucked ass. The Serra/GSP match was the only good fight on the card. Pretty bad, but that's what happens when you fill more than half your card with crappy fighters from the Ultimate Fighter show.

I just read the UFC 69 results at UFC.com. I can't freaking believe Serra won and Kos beat Diego. Just insane. I imagine it was a fun event to watch.

So does anyone know where I can view or download Ultimate Fight Night 10 from Tuesday night? My VCR did not record it for some reason. I need a DVR.

[quote name='Matt Young']So does anyone know where I can view or download Ultimate Fight Night 10 from Tuesday night? My VCR did not record it for some reason. I need a DVR.[/quote]

Youtube, maybe?

Getting excited for Pulver vs. Penn next Saturday!

[quote name='Matt Young']I tried Youtube and DailyMotion.com to no avail.[/quote]

watch spike throughout the weekend, probably saturday night, they usually show that shit 10 times over.

This last Fight Night was a really solid show, probably the best F.N. ever. There were no decisions that were televised and all the fights were exciting. I was glad to see Jon Fitch actually get on tv for once, considering he is probably top-5 in the welterweight division. UFC 72 looks like ass but I thought that about this last Fight Night too so here's hoping for the best.

[quote name='cgarb84']This last Fight Night was a really solid show, probably the best F.N. ever. There were no decisions that were televised and all the fights were exciting. I was glad to see Jon Fitch actually get on tv for once, considering he is probably top-5 in the welterweight division. UFC 72 looks like ass but I thought that about this last Fight Night too so here's hoping for the best.[/QUOTE]

The main event was a decision...... But the main event was probably one of the best fights that i've seen in a long long time.

UFC 72 does look like ass. I hope it will be good though.

[quote name='pimpinc333']The main event was a decision...... But the main event was probably one of the best fights that i've seen in a long long time.

UFC 72 does look like ass. I hope it will be good though.[/quote]

Oh yeah thanks for correcting me lol. I don't know how I let that one slip by. Maybe I didn't even think of it as a decision because it was such an exciting fight.

[quote name='tiredfornow']watch spike throughout the weekend, probably saturday night, they usually show that shit 10 times over.[/QUOTE]

I know they re-air UFC Unleashed, but not UFN.

Holy crap. From wrestlingobserver.com:

Shocking drug test failure revealed today

by Dave Meltzer

Royce Gracie tested positive for decadurabolin, a steroid also known as Nandralone, and has been suspended for one year by the California State Athletic Commission. The test was taken prior to his match with Kazushi Sakuraba on 6/2.

No other details were available from the commission. The commission also revealed Sakuraba, Kim Min-soo and Brock Lesnar all tested negative for both steroids, diuretics, masking agents and street drugs from the same show.

Unlike Nevada, where the decision of Gracie beating Sakuraba would be reversed with such a test, California's commission does not have the power to overturn a decision.

Gracie was also fined $2,000. He will not be allowed to fight in any U.S. commission state until June 1, 2008, pending an appeal.

[quote name='shieryda']That ping-pong match between Penn and Pulver was pretty entertaining.[/quote]

I like how Penn was acting all confident at the start then was freaking out during the game :lol: .

He maybe could've won if he'd just relaxed.

That Diaz kid was pretty amazing last night. He'll make you scared to do anything, even if you're on top.

I thought Manny was pretty unimpressive, I look for Nate to win next week.

Manny was shit.

He has to be one of the most unentertaining fighters in all of MMA.

"Hey, I'm fat so I'll sit on top of you and do small, unpainful punches just to score for 15 minutes."

I hope Nate breaks his arm in a submission.

[quote name='zewone']Manny was shit.

He has to be one of the most unentertaining fighters in all of MMA.

"Hey, I'm fat so I'll sit on top of you and do small, unpainful punches just to score for 15 minutes."

I hope Nate breaks his arm in a submission.[/quote]I always say this whenever someone complains about a guy being boring: But he could kick YOUR ass!

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I always say this whenever someone complains about a guy being boring: But he could kick YOUR ass![/quote]

I always make sure I don't bad-mouth any of these guys. If I ever saw them on the street, I'd probably fall into the fetal position and shit myself in fear.

So who else will agree with me that UFC 72 was one of the worst in recent memory? I think the UFC should have just aired this one free on Spike.

Now UFC 73: Stacked will be much, much better:

Big Nog vs. Herring
Ortiz vs. Evans
Silva vs. Marquardt
Sherk vs. Franca

Any of those fights are easily better than anything UFC 72 offered. Oh, well.

There are rumors Shogun will be coming to the UFC soon, as well as Soko, so it looks like there will be even more talent coming into the UFC. Personally, I'll be glad to finally watch a UFC without some TUF scrubs.

I thought UFC 72 was ok, not the worst I've ever seen. I had VERY low expectations going in because I knew the card was shit so maybe that's why I thought it was ok. The Guida/Griffin fight was really good. I was disappointed with Rich in the Okami fight. I think if he had been more aggresive in that fight he would've fared better. I did like his ground work though, Okami had that Kimura in DEEP. UFC 73 is indeed the best card the UFC has had in a long time. I am picking Marquardt over Silva, Sherk over Franca, Tito over Rashad, and Nogueira will destroy Herring.

UFC 72 was supposed to be on either HBO or Spike, I can't remember. Something messed that up, contracts wise, so they had to put it on PPV. And as for the actual show, I thought it was ok. Just because it doesn't have title fights or huge names doesn't always mean it's going to be bad. Shoot, Griffin/Guida was a hell of a lot better than Chuck vs Rampage, in terms of a pure MMA fight.

Is Kimbo really going to join the MMA scene and stop that bullshit street fighting? Supposedly June 23rd he makes some MMA debut. But where?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back