MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='vasco']Is Kimbo really going to join the MMA scene and stop that bullshit street fighting? Supposedly June 23rd he makes some MMA debut. But where?[/quote]He's fighting washed up boxer Ray Mercer at "Cage Fury Fighting Championships 5" at someplace called the AC Boardwalk Hall. I read on Sherdog that the PPV is only gonna be like $15.

Some freakshow MMA organization should just book Brock vs Kimbo, and let those 2 wannabe "Special Attractions" beat the hell out of each other and get it over with.

Ultimate Fight Night Live has been OK.

That Emerson/Maynard finish was insane though. Ended in a NC.

The best should be yet to come.

[quote name='zewone']I don't know why Dana White is on Emerson's nuts.

He is a mediocre fighter.

Crazy ending though.[/quote]

Agreed

He's a likeable guy but not a great fighter. I wouldn't be surprised to not see him more than a couple more times at most.

I think he's 0-3 against the UF guys right now.

[quote name='zewone']Damn, I didn't want the fight to end like that.

I wanted to see Manny get his ass beat.[/quote]Yes, because Manny was surely getting beat down by Nate. Manny would have won.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Yes, because Manny was surely getting beat down by Nate. Manny would have won.[/QUOTE]
You're right.

I wasn't commenting on how the fight was going, just by what I had wanted to happen.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Yes, because Manny was surely getting beat down by Nate. Manny would have won.[/QUOTE]

Crazy thing about the UFC is anything can change the outcome of the fight no matter who's winnign at one point. Pete Sell vs. Scott Smith anyone?

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Kimbo beat Mercer via RNC.[/quote]This is the MMA thread. That post belongs in the Official Freakshow vs Washed Up Boxer in an Exhibition Fight Thread.

[quote name='PocariSweat']It was a guillotine. Not a whole lot of technique.[/quote]

Oops, my mistake. Yeah, it was pretty crappy. I was expecting a slugfest.

I'll be watching. I haven't been this excited about a UFC card in a long time. My predictions are as follows:

Sherk over Franca (decision....???)
Tito over Rashad (decision)
Nogueira over Herring (anything he wants LOL)
Marquardt over Silva (submission)

Anyone watch UFC 75?

Here are my thoughts.

Jackson defeats Henderson via decision
These guys fought really hard, and it was a great fight. I think Henderson really needs to move down in weight; Rampage looked so much bigger and stronger than him.

He also needs to work on his cardio, because he seemed to gas really early. He'll be okay, though.

Bisping defeats Hamill via decision
Hamill was robbed big time by the refs. I had him winning round 1st and 3rd easily, and I could have argued him winning the 2nd, as well. He pushed the action the entire fight, constantly took Bisping down and had the better strikes through most of the fight.

I thought it was great to hear the English fans booing Bisping during his post-fight interview with Rogan.

Kongo defeats CroCop via decision
CroCop was totally out of synch the entire night. I just don't think this guy will ever successfully make the transition from the ring to the cage. With back-to-back losses to mediocre talent, he's totally fallen out of any title contention. He just doesn't seem like he has the heart to fight anymore.

The sad thing is he has three more fights left on his contract.

Houston Alexander defeats Alessio Sakara via referee stoppage due to strikes
Alexander is an absolute animal, and I don't think anyone can say his upset over Jardine was a fluke. This guy is here to stay, and he'll be in title contention soon.

Marcus Davis defeats Paul Taylor via armbar submission
In my opinion, this was the fight of the night. I really thought Taylor won the fight with that head kick, but I have to give credit to Davis. He did the right thing by keeping the fight on the ground until he got his wits back, and he was able to get the submission.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Anyone watch UFC 75?

Here are my thoughts.

Jackson defeats Henderson via decision
These guys fought really hard, and it was a great fight. I think Henderson really needs to move down in weight; Rampage looked so much bigger and stronger than him.

He also needs to work on his cardio, because he seemed to gas really early. He'll be okay, though.

Bisping defeats Hamill via decision
Hamill was robbed big time by the refs. I had him winning round 1st and 3rd easily, and I could have argued him winning the 2nd, as well. He pushed the action the entire fight, constantly took Bisping down and had the better strikes through most of the fight.

I thought it was great to hear the English fans booing Bisping during his post-fight interview with Rogan.

Kongo defeats CroCop via decision
CroCop was totally out of synch the entire night. I just don't think this guy will ever successfully make the transition from the ring to the cage. With back-to-back losses to mediocre talent, he's totally fallen out of any title contention. He just doesn't seem like he has the heart to fight anymore.

The sad thing is he has three more fights left on his contract.

Houston Alexander defeats Alessio Sakara via referee stoppage due to strikes
Alexander is an absolute animal, and I don't think anyone can say his upset over Jardine was a fluke. This guy is here to stay, and he'll be in title contention soon.

Marcus Davis defeats Paul Taylor via armbar submission
In my opinion, this was the fight of the night. I really thought Taylor won the fight with that head kick, but I have to give credit to Davis. He did the right thing by keeping the fight on the ground until he got his wits back, and he was able to get the submission.
[/QUOTE]

Houston Alexander vs Alessio Sakara, and Marcus Davis vs Paul Taylor were the best fights of the night. Awesome ref during the Davis Taylor match, he could have stopped that early and ruined a great turnaround.

It's pretty cool to see a fighter (Henderson) coming from Temecula. Henderson has a gym in Murrieta, it's sad but he's basically unknown here.

Sad to see Cro Cop doing so poorly in the UFC. Gonzaga really impressed me in his 1st loss, Kongo not so much.

What's gotten into Cro Cop? I lost 5 bucks to someone last night, who wanted to bet "on the big black guy". I thought I had the inside edge since I knew that Cro Cop was one of the better heavyweights out there, but unfortunately I was paying up at the end of the fight.

It's way to early to say his career is over or anything like that, but he needs a seriously big win in his next fight.

Nudged for this weekend's UFC show. This is not exactly the most stacked card in the world in terms of big names, but hopefully Evans will put Bisping down. Chonan vs. Parisyan has potential to be fucking awesome.

Card for Saturday's show:

Frank Edgar vs. Spencer Fisher
Karo Parisyan vs. Ryo Chonan
Joe Doerksen vs. Ed Herman
Houston Alexander vs. Thiago Silva
Rashad Evans vs. Michael Bisping

Dark matches:
Akihiro Gono vs. Tamdan McCrory
Marcus Aurelio vs. Luke Caudillo
Thiago Alves vs. Chris Lytle
Joe Lauzon vs. Jason Reinhardt

Obviously next month's show is what most people are focusing on with Wandy vs. Chuck and Serra vs. Hughes.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Nudged for this weekend's UFC show. This is not exactly the most stacked card in the world in terms of big names, but hopefully Evans will put Bisping down. Chonan vs. Parisyan has potential to be fucking awesome.

Card for Saturday's show:

Frank Edgar vs. Spencer Fisher
Karo Parisyan vs. Ryo Chonan
Joe Doerksen vs. Ed Herman
Houston Alexander vs. Thiago Silva
Rashad Evans vs. Michael Bisping

Dark matches:
Akihiro Gono vs. Tamdan McCrory
Marcus Aurelio vs. Luke Caudillo
Thiago Alves vs. Chris Lytle
Joe Lauzon vs. Jason Reinhardt

Obviously next month's show is what most people are focusing on with Wandy vs. Chuck and Serra vs. Hughes.[/QUOTE]

it's a great freaking show, with a lot of potentially great fights.

Too bad lots of people will pass it by do it not getting a lot of hype, but most importantly lots of unknown names to the more recent fans.

Hopefully they'll be able to sneak the Lauzon/Reinhardt match on the air.

[quote name='zewone']Bisping > Evans[/quote]

Truth

I don't like either, but it is choosing the lesser of two evils, and Rashad bores the fuck out of me, so Bisping gets the nod.

That Karo fight is going to be awesome. He is probably one of the most exciting fighters to watch in the UFC.

Also I think Evans will take it from Bisping. The last couple of fights Bisping Stuttered against some mediocre fighters while Evans hung in there with Ortiz. I see Evans dominating on top of Bisping the whole fight. Ground and Pound.

Also I actually like Bisping more then Evans :D

[quote name='pimpinc333'] I see Evans dominating on top of Bisping the whole fight. Ground and Pound. Lay and Pray.
[/quote]
fix'd for more rashad hating ;)

I don't like what I've seen of Rashad's personality... but I'll admit he's improved a ton as a fighter from when we first saw him on TUF.

[quote name='KaneRobot']What, in terms of being an asshole?[/QUOTE]
No, in terms of being a better fighter.

[quote name='pimpinc333']The last couple of fights Bisping Stuttered against some mediocre fighters while Evans hung in there with Ortiz. [/QUOTE]

I like how you act as if Tito isn't a mediocre fighter now.

Does anybody know if the weekly Bodog Fight show is on TV in America anymore? It used to be on Ion, but it hasn't been on in the last three weeks. I know it's still on in Canada, but that doesn't help me.

Bumped for show tonight...

Anyone ballsy enough to go with Speer? That dude is fucking dangerous, I just feel like if he doesn't manage to smash Danzig into oblivion in round 1 that he'll eventually get worn out/choked. Danzig said in an interview that he's dropping to 155 after tonight and only was up in weight because he wanted to be on the show.

[quote name='Kidnemo']it's a great freaking show, with a lot of potentially great fights.

Too bad lots of people will pass it by do it not getting a lot of hype[/QUOTE]
I'm jealous of people that skipped that show. I threw in 5 bucks on it and still felt ripped off.

[quote name='KaneRobot']What, in terms of being an asshole?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='zewone']No, in terms of being a better fighter.[/QUOTE]
Waiting for evidence.

*Edit* - Tonight is apparently John McCarthy's last night as a UFC ref, he's going to work for the Fight Network as an analyst (among other things).

I think Danzig will pull it out. He's more technical and has a ton more experience then Speer. If the fight goes to the ground by means of Danzig, I think he will finish the fight unlike the 3 Submissions Speer broke in 2 of his previous fights.

I can't wait for the Guida/Heurta fight. I love watching Guida. It's going to be an exciting fight.

I guess Danzig-Speer went as planned, although Mac getting a takedown that early sort of surprised me. Still think Speer can be a monster with another year or two of experience though.

Rollins - War Machine was fun.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I could have sworn tonights show was "commercial free, brought to you by World of Warcraft". So much for that...[/QUOTE]
I heard that too.

I think it was just the first round of the first fight that was commercial free.

Kolosci needs to stick to his day job.

War Machine VS. J-Roc should be semi interesting since they had that little " Upper Decker" incident,lol. Who does everyone want in the Huerta Vs. Guida fight? Half hour till fight time. But UFC 79 might be one of the best cards in a little while. Hughes Vs. St Pierre and Lidell Vs. Silva!!! Oh and Dean Lister comes back. I think the two Headline fights are worth it alone. Peace

[quote name='ironlion']War Machine VS. J-Roc should be semi interesting since they had that little " Upper Decker" incident,lol. Who does everyone want in the Huerta Vs. Guida fight? Half hour till fight time. But UFC 79 might be one of the best cards in a little while. Hughes Vs. St Pierre and Lidell Vs. Silva!!! Oh and Dean Lister comes back. I think the two Headline fights are worth it alone. Peace[/QUOTE]
Plus Sudokju vs Macheda!

If you've seen Sudokju fight in Pride, it's very easy to tell why I'm excited to see his UFC debut.

War Machine vs. J-Roc was a great fight.
I'm not suprised with Danzig winning, he has more experiance then Tommy Speers. Speers will be back, and will be dangerous with some training.

NICE main event. When Huerta survived what was essentially a KO at the end of the 2nd I had a feeling he'd pull it together in the third.

He announced Forrest as a coach and that TUF will be getting a huge revamp (no details as to what the changes are).

He said he would announce the other coach at the VGA awards, but I guess it's already been confirmed as Rampage?

[quote name='zewone']Plus Sudokju vs Macheda!

If you've seen Sudokju fight in Pride, it's very easy to tell why I'm excited to see his UFC debut.[/QUOTE]
This is my most anticipated fight because Machida is one of my favorite fighters. How can you not show respect for a half Japanese/Brazilian fighter that is seemingly untouchable? Yes they say he's boring because he lets his fights go to decision in UFC, but watch his agility and frustration he causes his opponents. Its a different kind of exciting to me, cause with his counter striking he just pisses off his opponents and then they become sloppy. Matching up with Sokoudjou will be a wild one. I'm juiced cause me and my friend just watched the finale plus part of the replay then worked out hahah.

Really good event last night. The Huerta/Guida and J Rock/War Machine fights were awesome. And yes, the "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT" was shit just like all of Dana's announcements. I hope it is Forrest and Rampage as coaches. Rampage is just awesome, he will be the best coach ever on the show by default, he is just too damn hilarious. And IMO he will come up a gameplan against Forrest similar to what Jardine did against him. Rampage will frustrate Forrest and mentally defeat him imo. It will be impossible for Forrest to knock out Rampage, that guy has an iron chin (unless it's Wanderlei kneeing his face 0_0....).

And I will repeat what everyone else is saying, UFC 79 should be awesome. WAR Wanderlei and GSP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back