MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
So did anyone watch The Ultimate Fighter last night? I was at the gym, but I'll be watching (well, recording) the replay tonight.

Also, for those with DirecTV, did anyone else notice that Spike TV is now on channel 241 in addition to the usual 325?

UFC Fight Night was really good last night.

And TUF was solid as well. Should get better in about two episodes, you'll see why when you watch it.

[quote name='zewone']Wow.

The Frank Shamrock vs. Cung Le fight was so damn good.[/quote]

I watched the Shamrock vs. Le fight last night and the third round was terrific! It started out a little slow (for my taste), but each round got progressively better and better. I wish they would've kept on going, but at least it ended with a nice flurry from both sides in round three.

So did anyone watch The Ultimate Fighter last night? I was at the gym, but I'll be watching (well, recording) the replay tonight.

Also, for those with DirecTV, did anyone else notice that Spike TV is now on channel 241 in addition to the usual 325?

UFC Fight Night was really good last night.

And TUF was solid as well. Should get better in about two episodes, you'll see why when you watch it.

[quote name='zewone']Wow.

The Frank Shamrock vs. Cung Le fight was so damn good.[/quote]

I watched the Shamrock vs. Le fight last night and the third round was terrific! It started out a little slow (for my taste), but each round got progressively better and better. I wish they would've kept on going, but at least it ended with a nice flurry from both sides in round three.

Wow. Was Houston Alexander in denial or what? James Irvin would have hurt him really bad if it wasn't for Mazzagatti stepping in. Even when Joe Rogan showed him the replay, he kept on saying that he was still conscious.

Overall, the whole night was pretty good. TUF also looks good. Some of the guys we're shitting their pants when they were told they would have to fight to get in. :shock: Some look downright scared but I think it was a smart move by the UFC.

There's going to be a rerun this Sunday on Spike. 11:30 for mountain time.

I didn't know that UFC Fight Night was in Colorado. I drive by the Broomfield Event center all the time.

Wow. Was Houston Alexander in denial or what? James Irvin would have hurt him really bad if it wasn't for Mazzagatti stepping in. Even when Joe Rogan showed him the replay, he kept on saying that he was still conscious.

Overall, the whole night was pretty good. TUF also looks good. Some of the guys we're shitting their pants when they were told they would have to fight to get in. :shock: Some look downright scared but I think it was a smart move by the UFC.

There's going to be a rerun this Sunday on Spike. 11:30 for mountain time.

I didn't know that UFC Fight Night was in Colorado. I drive by the Broomfield Event center all the time.

TUf reruns the thursday show every saturday.

The ufn was pretty unpredictable. i really enjoy those over most ppv's.

First, I fucking hate elbows, i wish theyd axe those and bring kicks/knees to downed opponents.

did anybody notice the inactivity of pellegrino when he slammed diaz into a triangle? i want to know what was up with that, he didnt move his arm at all. I couldnt see where diaz could have been holding him that tightly while he was setting that up. something was up and i want to know. looks like he hurt himself on the slam somehow, i just cant figure out why else a guy with his bjj skills would remian that still while an obvious triangle was being set. I was really hoping to see him win that too.

to those that are mma fans not just ufc fans. check out the lightweight gp dream is putting on. VERY VERY good. Hopefully hdnet gets a deal worked otu in time to air the next event.

[quote name='paz9x']TUf reruns the thursday show every saturday.

The ufn was pretty unpredictable. i really enjoy those over most ppv's.

First, I fucking hate elbows, i wish theyd axe those and bring kicks/knees to downed opponents.

did anybody notice the inactivity of pellegrino when he slammed diaz into a triangle? i want to know what was up with that, he didnt move his arm at all. I couldnt see where diaz could have been holding him that tightly while he was setting that up. something was up and i want to know. looks like he hurt himself on the slam somehow, i just cant figure out why else a guy with his bjj skills would remian that still while an obvious triangle was being set. I was really hoping to see him win that too.

to those that are mma fans not just ufc fans. check out the lightweight gp dream is putting on. VERY VERY good. Hopefully hdnet gets a deal worked otu in time to air the next event.[/quote]

Yeah I also am hoping HDnet gets a deal done with Dream so we can watch the lightweight GP. For those of you with HDnet there is an IFL event on tonight at 8:30 ET. Looks like it will be a pretty decent show, three title fights on the card.

[quote name='cgarb84']Yeah I also am hoping HDnet gets a deal done with Dream so we can watch the lightweight GP. For those of you with HDnet there is an IFL event on tonight at 8:30 ET. Looks like it will be a pretty decent show, three title fights on the card.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you on the DREAM card. The semi's should be awesome, they are going to do a rematch with Aoki and JZ!

i really dont get what was with aoki in that last fight, hes FAR better than he looked. i do think jz is gonna wreck him regardless.

[quote name='paz9x']First, I fucking hate elbows, i wish theyd axe those and bring kicks/knees to downed opponents.[/QUOTE]
From my understanding they can't change the rules. Its specifically from the fight commission to make it more sports/competition and less brutal/raw fighting.

I also think the restrictions help make sure their awareness is intact. You see a guy like Lesnar go nuts and can tell he has no mental game.

i really dont get what was with aoki in that last fight, hes FAR better than he looked. i do think jz is gonna wreck him regardless.

[quote name='paz9x']First, I fucking hate elbows, i wish theyd axe those and bring kicks/knees to downed opponents.[/QUOTE]
From my understanding they can't change the rules. Its specifically from the fight commission to make it more sports/competition and less brutal/raw fighting.

I also think the restrictions help make sure their awareness is intact. You see a guy like Lesnar go nuts and can tell he has no mental game.

UFC 83 tonight!

Main Card
Undisputed Welterweight championship bout: Matt Serra vs. Georges St. Pierre
Middleweight bout: Rich Franklin vs. Travis Lutter
Middleweight bout: Michael Bisping vs. Charles McCarthy
Lightweight bout: Mark Bocek vs. Mac Danzig
Middleweight bout: Kalib Starnes vs. Nate Quarry

Preliminary Card
Middleweight bout: Jason MacDonald vs. Joe Doerksen
Middleweight bout: Jason Day vs. Alan Belcher
Lightweight bout: Sam Stout vs. Rich Clementi
Welterweight bout: Jonathan Goulet vs. Kuniyoshi Hironaka
Heavyweight bout: Brad Morris vs. Cain Velazquez
Middleweight bout: Ed Herman vs. Demian Maia

[quote name='CouRageouS']UFC 83 tonight!

Main Card

Preliminary Card
Middleweight bout: Ed Herman vs. Demian Maia[/QUOTE]

Here are my predictions:

GSP Win
Lutter Win
Bisping Win
Danzig Win
Starnes Win

MacDonald Win
Belcher Win
Clementi Win
Goulet Win
I have no idea who these 2 dudes are but Cain is a bad ass name Win
Herman Win

is there any way to find out what is going on at least semi-live? i have some bets on 2 of the fights and i couldnt get an online feed to work.

[quote name='CouRageouS']UFC 83 tonight!

Main Card

Preliminary Card
Middleweight bout: Ed Herman vs. Demian Maia[/QUOTE]

Wow... what a hilarious night of fighting!

Was Starnes vs. Quarry, the fight with all the running away? I'm not familiar with these guys, but I believe it was Quarry that made me laugh when he chased Starnes with the "Not in the Face Punches." Starnes needs to learn how to check a kick badly.

Charles McCarthy was a joke, I hope he's embarrassed of himself. His best offense was blocking and he should have at least waited the minute before calling it quits.

Bocek vs. Danzig, and Serra vs St. Pierre were the best fights out of the night. Bocek was bleeding like crazy, that must have been one of the bloodiest fights I'd ever seen!

1208705506387.gif

1208675671485.gif

the internets rumor, based on starnes comments, is basically he planned on that because of his last fight with alan belcher resulted in his head getting split open and apparently the UFC made him foot all the medical bills.
kinda gay, though if thats true about them not hooking up fighters with some $ for injuries the UFC needs to change that.

Well all fighters are individually contracted by Zuffa and are paid per fight. Set amount to show, bonus to win. It would be on him and his representatives to secure some sort of medical benefits in his contract. Its likely only the high profile fighters get any benefits. Also a good chunk of their income comes from sponsoring. Some fighters can get an obscene amount of money to wear a logo on their trunks/entrance attire.

The newest partner of HDNet Fights is DREAM, the upstart Japan-based MMA organization founded by the organizers of K-1 and former executives of Pride Fighting Championship. DREAM features some of the best fighters in the world including Mirko Cro Cop and Gesias "JZ" Calvancante.
This is great news courtesy of inside MMA -

As part of this exclusive broadcast agreement, HDNet will air DREAM 1 and DREAM 2 on May 2 and May 3 respectively, truly making the first weekend in May a "DREAM Weekend" for MMA fans. Both broadcasts will begin at 10:30 ET.

HDNet and HDNet Fights will also bring the next four DREAM events - DREAM 3 on May 11, DREAM 4 on June 15, DREAM 5 on July 21 and DREAM 6 on September 23 - to American and Canadian audiences.

and zewone - no shit huh, i didnt even think of that.

though when youre hurt on the job your employer takes responsibility for your injuries.
its obviously not the same though i think its ridiculous as the potential for injury far outweighs the fight purse for most fighters.
they need a union or something.

enough about gayness, rejoice in the awesomeness that is watching dream for free in hd.

Last saturday I caught Strikeforce on NBC at like 3 or 4am. Its where Cung Le and Shamrock fought last month. It was the debut show so it had an older Cung Le fight and another fight I forget. They need to secure a better time slot though. I was pretty surprised though since I didn't think Strikeforce had that kind of money.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Last saturday I caught Strikeforce on NBC at like 3 or 4am. Its where Cung Le and Shamrock fought last month. It was the debut show so it had an older Cung Le fight and another fight I forget. They need to secure a better time slot though. I was pretty surprised though since I didn't think Strikeforce had that kind of money.[/QUOTE]

infomercials have enough money to buy a time slot, nothing to impressive there. i havent seen the show but ive heard the production value isnt half bad.

zewone- hdnet is good, get it if you can. even without dream its worth the $8 or so a month they charge, with dream, its no brainer.

im VERY excited about that deal. cant wait until next weekend.

[quote name='paz9x']the internets rumor, based on starnes comments, is basically he planned on that because of his last fight with alan belcher resulted in his head getting split open and apparently the UFC made him foot all the medical bills.
kinda gay, though if thats true about them not hooking up fighters with some $ for injuries the UFC needs to change that.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CouRageouS']Well all fighters are individually contracted by Zuffa and are paid per fight. Set amount to show, bonus to win. It would be on him and his representatives to secure some sort of medical benefits in his contract. Its likely only the high profile fighters get any benefits. Also a good chunk of their income comes from sponsoring. Some fighters can get an obscene amount of money to wear a logo on their trunks/entrance attire.[/QUOTE]

The problem is the vast majority of fighters don't make much from sponsorships, and don't make much from fighting. Most can barely afford to even be fighters (food, shelter, gym, supplements, medical bills) on the amount they make. That's why you see like auto dealerships and body shops advertising on fighters who aren't in the main event (barring TapOut which is notorious for small sponsorships, why Matt Serra dumped them as soon as he could)

check http://www.mmapayout.com to get an idea of how little it is.

Here's Randy Couture talking about it in a recent interview.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZBHvt_j-D8

For instance, when he got his ass handed to him by Belcher he only made $7,000
http://www.mmapayout.com/2007/10/ufc-77-payouts.html

Not that I'm trying to defend the guy. If he was going to act like that he shouldn't have even showed up. He should just find a different job.

It would really help the sport if the
forbes.gif
"Ultimate Cash Machine" would follow the lead of other professional sports and provide at the minimum health care. NFL has top notch health care and even after the players retire they're taken care of.

I'm hoping that EliteXC on network TV & DREAM & Affliction on HDNet Fights can put the pressure on to elevate the sport. EliteXC is still sort of a joke in my mind though. DREAM has been good so far. & Affliction looks to have the best cards of the year; Barnett is back, Fedor, Couture, Sylvia, Lindland, etc..

[quote name='paz9x']dream 1 is airing tonight on hdnet at 730pst
dream 2 is on tomorrow night at 730 pst.

hot shit.[/QUOTE]

http://hdnetfights.com/mmaonhdnet.php

LIVE!
Sun. May. 11 3:00 AM ET DREAM 3
Catch the second round of the DREAM lightweight tournament exclusively on HDNet! Eight fighters will enter the Saitama Super Arena in Japan and four will advance. Four of the participating lightweights ranked in the top ten in the world by Inside MMA.

Aoki will be fighting in DREAM 4 though do to an injury from the second JZ fight. Bruised rib i think.

dream offers medical care for their fighters. the ufc should too. my opinion on starnes has changed some since that post. hes a jackass and IMO the medical issue was not at the forefront of his antics.

dream is great.
dream 3 looks very nice though the diaz fight would have been extra nice.
hansen/alvarez should be awesome.
the more aoki i see the happier i am. i LOVE that guys game. i think hell beat everybody left in the tourny. we shall see.

The UFC pays for medical expenses pertaining to injuries from the fight. Kalib excuse from a cut getting infected later on, this could have been dealt with by his own free health care, requestions some assistance from the UFC, etc. The UFC has had a lot of complaints, but none pertaining to their medical coverage. The Kalib situation is sketchy, if you remember on TUF he complained about his rib and didn't want to fight. Ken thought he didn't have heart, another he gave up so much in front of his country that I doubt it was thought about before hand. More likely he got frazzled and didn't recover.

Dream 3 was pretty good. Classic showing from Nate, just wish he wouldn't use his face to block shots so often.

I'm an Aoki fan, and the flying guard pull was sweet, but he really seems too frail, despite his ranking I think this would become a problem vs the stronger grapplers.

Sengoku II was ok, but still amazing compared to Yamma 1.

Really nice cards coming up in the next 2 months!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back