MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am hoping that Dana White will announce the offical release date of UFC 2009 for Xbox 360. I could comment on all the fights but could write a book picking them apart so I'll leave that to my real life instead of my virtual life. Good fights though!

but I guess it's already been confirmed as Rampage?
Yeah. Which kind of sucks because that means neither of them will be fighting for quite a while.

I could have sworn I once heard Rampage say he hates training, so that should make for an amusing dynamic on the show...

[quote name='zewone']Plus Sudokju vs Macheda!

If you've seen Sudokju fight in Pride, it's very easy to tell why I'm excited to see his UFC debut.[/quote]
Thats right! Looking forward to this as well.

Whoever has the VS. channel should check out the WEC event Weds.

These fights should be pretty damn good.

Urijah Faber Vs. Jeff Curran
Cub Swanson Vs. Jens Pulver
Paulo Filho Vs. Chael Sonnen
Doug Marshall Vs. Ariel Gandulla

[quote name='zewone']Whoever has the VS. channel should check out the WEC event tomorrow.

These fights should be pretty damn good.

Urijah Faber Vs. Jeff Curran
Cub Swanson Vs. Jens Pulver
Paulo Filho Vs. Chael Sonnen
Doug Marshall Vs. Ariel Gandulla[/QUOTE]

Cub vs. Pulver is gonna be really good I think.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Cub vs. Pulver is gonna be really good I think.[/QUOTE]
Yep.

I really want to see the Paulo Filho fight since his opponent was talking shit, he doesn't know what kind of beat Filho is.

[quote name='zewone']Yep.

I really want to see the Paulo Filho fight since his opponent was talking shit, he doesn't know what kind of beat Filho is.[/QUOTE]

I don't know much about either of those fighters, but I'll be watching the event so I'll find out about them I guess. I don't get Versus up here so I don't really ever see WEC.

What time does this start?

[quote name='zewone']Shit, the event is on Weds.

Here I was thinking it was Tuesday.[/QUOTE]

Best news I heard all day (and I'm serious - I got to find out my fuel pump on my truck went today. Fun!)

I had made plans to finally go see No Country for Old Men tomorrow, and now I don't have to break 'em.

So ummmm.

UFC 79 Sat (10EST/7PST)

7pm PT / 10pm ET

New Years Weekend in Las Vegas is known for being when some of the biggest fights of the year take place, and 2007 will be no exception. After sustaining a back injury, Matt Serra was forced to withdraw from his UFC 79 title fight with Matt Hughes. But finding another opponent took no time at all, as yet another nemesis of Hughes stepped up to the challenge – former champion Georges “Rush” St-Pierre. At UFC 79, Hughes and St-Pierre will do battle for the third time to determine who will walk away with the interim UFC Welterweight Title and the chance to face Matt Serra next year for the undisputed championship.
Then, the matchup that fans have waited years to see is finally here. UFC legend Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell will step foot into the cage to finally answer the challenges of former Pride superstar Wanderlei "The Axe Murderer" Silva. UFC 79: NEMESIS will be live Saturday, December 29 from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. LIVE on pay-per-view and on UFC ON DEMAND.
edit: corrected

IFL 2007 World Grand Prix Finals Sat (9:30EST/6:30PST)

The International Fight League and HDNet Fights today announced that the 2007 World Grand Prix Finals will be televised live from the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut, on HDNet on Saturday, December 29, starting at 9:30 p.m. EST. This will mark the first collaboration between the IFL, which is completing its first full season of operation, and HDNet Fights. It will also mark the first-ever live IFL broadcast in HD. The regular IFL broadcast team of Kenny Rice, Bas Rutten and Ron Kruck will call the action.

HDNet Fights: Fedor Returns Mon (6AMEST/3AMPST)

Fedor's opponent for this upcoming match is Korea's Hong-Man Choi. At 7-feet, 2-inches tall and 360 pounds, Choi is known as "Techno Goliath."
Also on this eight-fight Yarennoka card are six of the top ten lightweights in the world as ranked by HDNet's "Inside MMA." They include Hayato Sakurai (#2), Gilbert Melendez (#3), Tatsuya Kawajiri (#6), Shinya Aoki (#9) and Gesias "JZ" Calvancante (#8).
WHEN: Monday, December 31 LIVE at 6:00 a.m. ET. With additional re-broadcasts on Monday, December 31 at 3:00 p.m. ET, Friday, January 4 at 10:30 p.m. ET, Saturday, January 5 at 3:00 a.m. ET (late night Friday), and Saturday, January 5 at 3:00 p.m. ET.

\\:D/:boxing:\\:D/HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!\\:D/:boxing:\\:D/

[quote name='TURBO']
UFC 79 Friday (10EST/7PST)[/QUOTE]

Up against Giants-Pats on two OTA stations...not good for UFC. Between the two I'll take the UFC show in a heartbeat, but that is going to suck up a lot of the casual "let's get it and have a party" casual fans.

The two main events are too close to call for me...normally I'd take GSP over Hughes but the short training time throws a wrench in there. Silva hasn't had a fight in quite a while and is coming off a loss, and this should determine whether Liddell is just coked out and broken or not.

[quote name='KaneRobot']...yes. So is the game.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't sure if you knew, since the quote you quoted said Friday.

Can't wait to watch this, is this the one with Brock Lesnars debut? i'm hyped also to watch Chuck Lidell back in action, hope theirs a knockout.

no the lesnar/mir fight is in february.

should be a decent night.
gsp will demolish hughes, im as sure of that as i was of gsp demolishing serra. hey im not perfect =)

its not as good as the pride of a champion card but it should be entertaining.

[quote name='zewone']UFC 79 is on Saturday.[/quote]
Sorry about that, at 2AM my mind has a tendency to wander. :lol: Corrected now.

Wanderlei Silva (205) vs. Chuck Liddell (204)

54048.jpg

54049.jpg

54050.jpg

Matt Hughes (170) vs. Georges St. Pierre (170)

54051.jpg

54052.jpg

54053.jpg

I always was a fan of Silva but I always thought he would lose to Chuck if they fought and saddly I was right...but you F cares about that fight cause GSP made Matt Hughes his Bitch! Hughes had nothing for GSP :D

[quote name='Underfoot']I always was a fan of Silva but I always thought he would lose to Chuck if they fought and saddly I was right...but you F cares about that fight cause GSP made Matt Hughes his Bitch! Hughes had nothing for GSP :D[/QUOTE]
If it was in Japan a couple years ago under PRIDE rules, I believe chuck would have been mauled. Wandy was a little apprehensive for his first UFC appearance & nervous about breaking the rules. I'm sure shoguns performance was also in the back of his mind. I was happy for Chuck though, he seemed to really fall hard off the wagon for a while. I'm not sure if he was drunk, or coked up or what; but he definitely wasn't in the Zone when he fought jardine. That's a rematch I'd like to see soon.

Hugues just doesnt want to fight anymore. He's just doing it to do it, because the money's so good. Not because he has that hunger anymore. GSP has that hunger though. It seems to disappear w/ age/time.

One of my friends had the best line ever:
"After watching the fight, I am convinced that GSP should no longer be allowed to fight human beings. He now should be resorted to fighting Wild Bears or Mountain Lions... that weigh in at or under 170 pounds of course!"

Anyway UFC 80 is less then 2 weeks away... pretty meh card for me... same for UFC 81 (Although I am curious as to how Lesnar will fare.) To be honest, the next fight I looking forward to is Anderson Silva-Dan Henderson at UFC 82 in March.

Hendo FTW!

I can't wait to see the spider try to put him in a clinch like he did Franklin. He's gunna be in for a surprise :)

So....

Lesnar got caught, just like everyone and their mother predicted. Until he made that rookie-looking mistake though, he looked fucking unstoppable. If he gets his submission counters down, he's going to be a killer.

That stoppage for a punch to the back of the head seemed a tad arbirtrary...we've seen people warned before rather than an immediate stoppage.

[quote name='evilmojo12542']suprise suprise broc got punked out[/QUOTE]
Hardly. He had a questionable stoppage that benefitted his opponent, and made a rookie mistake and got caught after looking dominant.

Part 1 (intros)
Part 2

If Lesnar hadn't have hammered down on the back of Mir's head, I think he would have won.

[quote name='evilmojo12542']suprise suprise broc got punked out[/QUOTE]

I suggest you actually watch the fight in question, or at least read the results before giving your opinion. Lesnar absolutely dominated that fight, made a small mistake that stopped him from winning, dominated some more then mad a nother small mistake that cost him the fight.

Honestly, Brock in the UFC pretty much pushed me over the edge into a UFC fan (I wouldn't say MMA fan just yet, because UFC is my only exposure to the sport thus far).

[quote name='guyver2077']he fucked up when he got in that sharpshooter position[/QUOTE]

He looked like he had no idea how to react. He stalled and Mir capitalized on that.

Don't forget that this was Lesnar's 2nd MMA fight and against the former UFC heavyweight champion. He looked pretty good until the end. It seemed like he was going to get caught in an armbar a couple of times.

I think that the ref should have given Lesnar a warning for the punch to the back of the head. You can see that Mir turns his head as he sees that the punch is coming. If Brock Lesnar keeps training, he will be very good. He is extremely agile for a big man.

While I'm not jumping on the Brock bandwagon yet. I was impressed with Lesnar's power and speed. The man has only had one MMA fight before UFC 81 and that was vs a can. Lesnar needs the Roger Huerta treatment - build the man up slowly. UFC's biggest downside is its so stacked with talent its hard to build up fighters skills.

Also huge props to Big Nog for being the first fighter to hold belts in Pride and the UFC.

[quote name='Brak']If Lesnar hadn't have hammered down on the back of Mir's head, I think he would have won.[/quote]

He hit the back of Mir's head cause Mir was turtling and turning away. While I understand its illegal to hit the back of a opponates head, not really Lesnar's fault when he is aiming for Mir's face and Frank turns away.

[quote name='KaneRobot']So....

Lesnar got caught, just like everyone and their mother predicted. Until he made that rookie-looking mistake though, he looked fucking unstoppable. If he gets his submission counters down, he's going to be a killer.

That stoppage for a punch to the back of the head seemed a tad arbirtrary...we've seen people warned before rather than an immediate stoppage.[/quote]I don't think it was arbitrary at all. I think the refs have to consider who is doing the pounding. If it is a little 150 lb. guy, a couple of quick hits to the back of the head isn't a big deal. If you have arguably the biggest and strongest man in UFC history, on the other hand, punching down with ful force on the back of a guy's head that is pinned to the mat, it has to end immediately and you have to take measures to ensure it doesn't happen again.

I mean, Brock was unleashed for like 30 seconds before Mir looked like someone had been beating him in the face with an ugly stick for hours.

That being said, I do agree that Mir turned into (or away from) that punch in the middle of Brock's swing. But with a guy like Brock, we're talking about someone's life being at stake.

But I do want to make it known that I have hated Brock for a long time. I hated him at the end of his WWE tenure, I hated him when he decided to shaft the fans, I hated him when he tried the football route, I hated him when he started talking tough about trying MMA, I hated him last year when he had his first match and I hated him when he was going into this match at UFC 81. That's a lot of hate. I was hoping that Mir would tear him apart to the point that he could no longer be an athlete and popping up into my forms of entertainment. But after watching this match, I can see that for once he has really tried to discipline himself. I gained a lot of respect for what he was doing as I watched him fight. And then when I saw his behavior and the way he spoke after his loss, I gained a lot of respect for him personally. I am excited to see what Lesnar can become in the UFC.

Too bad he was a total noob against one of the greatest fighters UFC has seen. But he still almost owned Mir until he gave his leg up for one split second.

Brock Lesnar was completely dominating Mir until the split. I found that to be a very suspicious split, I've been watching MMA for 15 years and I've never seen a split like that. Much less a point deduction, in the UFC,, for ONE contestable mistaken hit nonetheless.

I watched this fight on PPV in HD, DVRed it and watched it back several times. To me, it looks as though Brock was specifically trying not to hit the back of Mirs head. Stopping himself from hitting when he thought Mir was turned to far away. But Mir was turning to and fro, I think he was waiting for that single hit to get the fight separated and him off.

That said, Lesanr did get caught by a pretty rudimentary ankle-lock. Though being on a major card like that with such relative inexperience; I don't care how much experience he has w/ crowds and competition; He was nervous. And that can make you do stupid things.

All things considered, it was a decent fight despite its length. But I think Brock needs to come to terms with being punched in the face more, since I feel he'd do better at standing and banging & using his wrestling to defend takedowns. Then GnP when his opponents are tired.

[quote name='zewone']Kimbo Slice is fighting Tank tomorrow, what it do?![/QUOTE]

Thompson will be fighting tomorrow too.
icon14.gif

[quote name='TURBO']Thompson will be fighting tomorrow too.
icon14.gif
[/quote]

Thompson's fights are always exciting, but that's because the big dumb oaf always storms into his opponents and always ends up getting KOed. The guy can't take a punch and is a walking knockout waiting to happen.

The funniest fight I've seen him in was him against Alexsander Emelianenko in his first fight in PRIDE. Alexs was standing around looking indifferent with Thompson in the other corner about to explode with pure energy. Thompson comes storming in right as the fight starts and nearly knocks Alexs down, but then proceeds to eat about four precise punches to the head and is flopping around all over the place. Classic.

Congrats to Elite XC for actually making it seem like Tank Abbot was a formidable opponent. I will say that Kimbo Slice is a bad motherfucker, but I'm anxious to see how he does against an opponent that has some real MMA skills.

[quote name='MorPhiend']I think the refs have to consider who is doing the pounding.[/QUOTE]

So basically, you're asking that the refs not look at it evenly and favor one of the two fighters.

I don't buy it. We've seen from both this fight and the Sylvia - Couture fight that the "little guy" is perfectly capable of handling themselves. They're in the same weight class - that's enough.

They need to keep feeding Kimbo washed up chumps and nobodies until he has more training under his belt...then by the time he finally fights someone who won't collapse like a house of cards, he'll have more than a miniscule chance.

[quote name='TURBO']Brock Lesnar was completely dominating Mir until the split. I found that to be a very suspicious split, I've been watching MMA for 15 years and I've never seen a split like that. Much less a point deduction, in the UFC,, for ONE contestable mistaken hit nonetheless.

I watched this fight on PPV in HD, DVRed it and watched it back several times. To me, it looks as though Brock was specifically trying not to hit the back of Mirs head. Stopping himself from hitting when he thought Mir was turned to far away. But Mir was turning to and fro, I think he was waiting for that single hit to get the fight separated and him off.

That said, Lesanr did get caught by a pretty rudimentary ankle-lock. Though being on a major card like that with such relative inexperience; I don't care how much experience he has w/ crowds and competition; He was nervous. And that can make you do stupid things.

All things considered, it was a decent fight despite its length. But I think Brock needs to come to terms with being punched in the face more, since I feel he'd do better at standing and banging & using his wrestling to defend takedowns. Then GnP when his opponents are tired.[/quote]

Mazzagatti already said that he warned Lesnar before he split them and deducted a point. Moreover, because it was an illegal blow, it was right to allow Mir time to recover and start them standing up. That's just how things work in MMA.

Lesnar is going to be a force in MMA, and I think his next fight should be against Sylvia. It would definitely test his stand up, and it'd be fun to see how Sylvia fairs against someone much stronger than him.

So, uhhh...UFC 82 is coming up in a couple of weeks less than a mile away from me. I went the UFC event they held in Columbus last year and saw the tim sylvia and randy couture fight.

I'm more excited about the Jon Fitch fight more than I am the main event. He's on a 7 fight win streak and i havn't really seen or heard anything about his opponent Chris Wilson.

May 31st, MMA coming to primetime national TV (CBS).

Kimbo Slice will be fighting in joint venture between Elite XC and CBS.

It's nice to see MMA breaking into the mainstream so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back