10/17 XBOX LIVE Down for Maintenance - "Cool Stuff" Revealed

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)
Update 10/20:

The new options that debuted today let you configure settings of your Xbox Live account that were previously customizable only from your Xbox 360.

In the “Manage Profile” section of My Xbox, you can now click on Edit Gamercard to change your gamercard zone, gamer picture, configure Privacy Settings so you decide who can see your online status, motto, achievements and profile.
In the Account Management sub-section, you can modify your membership, add Microsoft Points, redeem a prepaid card and edit your billing and contact information.

Enough talk, take a look at the image below and log into My Xbox to play with the new settings and features.

myxbox_20061020.gif

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12052/My-Xbox-Adds-New-Features/

Downtime for Xbox.com and Xbox Live

We've got some scheduled maintenance coming up and want to let everyone know that both the Xbox Live® service and Xbox.com will be offline and unavailable starting at midnight Pacific Time on Tuesday October 17, 2006 for up to 24 hours. We know you've got some questions, so here are some answers:
Q: Why? Why? Why?
A: Because we're adding some cool stuff. And we have to take the service and website offline in order to do it. We're not doing it to make you mad … really.
Q: What kind of cool stuff?
A: Secret cool stuff that we'll tell you about when we're back online October 18. Other stuff we'll be talking about later in the fall.
Q: Is this a Dashboard update?
A: Nope.
Q: So what's going to happen exactly? What's it going to look like for me?
A: For the first hour or two that Xbox.com and Xbox Live are down, you'll get error messages—when you hit Xbox.com you'll see a Server Not Available message, and if you try to connect to Xbox Live you'll get the "can't connect" message. Don't freak. It's not your account, your computer, your browser, or your ISP. It's us. After a couple hours you will see a "We're down for maintenance" page on Xbox.com and a similar message on your Xbox console.
Q: Twenty-four hours? That's a whole day!
A: Yes it is. It is also 86,400 seconds. Too bad the Xbox Operations Center isn't on Jupiter. A day there is a little less than 10 hours!
Q: What the heck am I going to do for 24 hours if I can't troll the forums, pwn my rivals, download stuff on Marketplace, or video chat with my friends?
A: We're glad you asked. We hereby submit our Top Ten Things to Do on October 17 2006:
  1. Boost your gamerscore. That's right, you can still earn achievements when you're offline. Your achievements will be uploaded to the Xbox Live service when it becomes available.
  2. Bust out your big black buddy original Xbox. There are still awesome games coming out for Xbox®. In fact Destroy All Humans!™ 2 comes out on Tuesday October 17. That's pretty good timing.
  3. Go shopping! We've had a boatload of great games and accessories release in the last few weeks. Check out LEGO® Star Wars II®: The Original Trilogy, Xbox Live Vision Camera, Test Drive® Unlimited, and lots of other great stuff. Make your local retailer very happy.
  4. Nominate a friend for the Gamer Spotlight. TriXie's email will still be working, so drop her a line at [email protected] and tell her who you think needs some attention on Xbox.com.
  5. Listen to Xbox podcasts. Visit Gamertag Radio, XBLRadio, SquadXP, and Unscripted360, just to name a few. We'd suggest Major Nelson's 'cast, but we know everyone's already listened to all of his!
  6. Study up on October 17 history. Here are some examples of momentous events that occurred on 10/17:
    • 1931: Al Capone was convicted of income tax evasion.
    • 1933: Physicist Albert Einstein arrived in the United States as a refugee from Nazi Germany.
    • 1945: Col. Juan Peron staged a coup, becoming absolute ruler of Argentina.
    • 1979: Mother Teresa was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
  7. Birthdays! October 17 is also the birthday of Rita Hayworth, Evel Knievel, Mike Judge, Eminem, and Superman creator Jerry Siegel! It's a great opportunity to use Xbox 360™ for more than games—watch the Shawshank Redemption, Beavis and Butthead, and Superman: the Movie.
  8. Holiday anyone? Hoist a glass in honor of The United Nations International Day for the Eradication of Poverty (just don't waste any) and Black Poetry Day in the U.S.
  9. Talk to your significant other. Remember them? You last spoke about 11 months ago when you got your Xbox 360 console. Just don't say anything like, "Have you gained weight?"
  10. Make your holiday wish list. HD DVD anyone? How about the Wireless Headset and Wireless Racing Wheel? How about that cool new Zune thingamagig and the cool accessories to go with it? Don't forget Gears of War®, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent™, and Viva Piñata!
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2006/1012-downtime.htm

Very cool way about going at it, I dont play games during the weekdays, so I dont care, but waht is this cool new thing? I hope it isnt lame.

I'm hoping they make it where you to see messages from Halo 2 without actually putting in Halo 2

90% of my messages come from that game but I don't have it anymore.

[quote name='seanr1221']The day splinter cell comes out? fuck this.[/quote]

Splinter Cell ships on Tuesday, out on Wednesday.

And even then, it was bumped a week, it ships on the 24th, in stores the 25th

Isn't the PSO beta suppose to be expiring on the 18th? Does that mean 24 hours less to try it out? : ( It sucks they pushed the release back and now we will have even less time.

Edit: Damn you disco catcus. I type too slow.

"Bust out your big black buddy original Xbox"

Let me bust a nut in Microsoft's eye for even saying this.

We shouldn't have to bust out anything, backwards compatibility is one reason I bought the system.

[quote name='Scorch']Splinter Cell ships on Tuesday, out on Wednesday.

And even then, it was bumped a week, it ships on the 24th, in stores the 25th[/QUOTE]
????????????????????????

I hope they have (even though they said they wouldnt do this) 4 way private/video chats

[quote name='Scorch']yes, it was bumped a week. ignore the date on the CE, the date on the games is the right one.

http://www.ebgames.com/search.asp?N...ouble+agent&N=0&find.x=0&find.y=0&find=Search

[FONT=Verdana,Arial]Pre-Release
Ships 10/24/06
[/FONT][/QUOTE]
It says 10/24 for every version except 360, so who knows?

EDIT: found this http://www.amazon.com/Clancys-Splin...bs_1/102-2036094-4726564?ie=UTF8&s=videogames
it says 10/24 there but here it says 10/18

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7689138&st=Splinter+Cell&type=product&id=1138083934281

[quote name='Apossum']how did they know I nicknamed it "xbox"?[/quote]

Ha ha ha oho ho ho! I love that kind of humor! ;)

Seriously, the Xbox/Xbox Live community manager is the bees knees! They should raise that dude (or dudette's) salary so they can write more whimsical prose about severe pay service downtime. I notice the one thing that wasn't mentioned is points or credits for the whole day of service we're going to lose. This mysterious "cool" thing that is being made ready for better blow my socks (or xbox) off.

[quote name='gunm']Ha ha ha oho ho ho! I love that kind of humor! ;)

Seriously, the Xbox/Xbox Live community manager is the bees knees! They should raise that dude (or dudette's) salary so they can write more whimsical prose about severe pay service downtime. I notice the one thing that wasn't mentioned is points or credits for the whole day of service we're going to lose. This mysterious "cool" thing that is being made ready for better blow my socks (or xbox) off.[/quote] Chill out, you're acting like M$ just kicked your dog.
I joke, I just don't care because I hardly use XBL.

I have no idea what it is...maybe it is laying the groundwork for the alleged native 1080p. Maybe a simplied live setup.

im tihnking more things for us to buy, or maybe an unveiling of a demo that is causing a major skin change or something with every menu centered around it...

Seriously, the Xbox/Xbox Live community manager is the bees knees! They should raise that dude (or dudette's) salary so they can write more whimsical prose about severe pay service downtime. I notice the one thing that wasn't mentioned is points or credits for the whole day of service we're going to lose. This mysterious "cool" thing that is being made ready for better blow my socks (or xbox) off.[/quote]

I will complain for points... enough for uno, when this surprise sux.

Seriously, the Xbox/Xbox Live community manager is the bees knees! They should raise that dude (or dudette's) salary so they can write more whimsical prose about severe pay service downtime. I notice the one thing that wasn't mentioned is points or credits for the whole day of service we're going to lose. This mysterious "cool" thing that is being made ready for better blow my socks (or xbox) off.[/QUOTE]

3 things:

1. i decided to kill the joke before someone else did.

2. 1 day isn't the end of the world. most normal people won't notice.

3. the new cool thing will be Pong. yes, the original Pong! YOU LOVE PONG!! It'll be 800 points. there will also be Pong gamerpics (your choice of left line, right line, black background or dot) and Pong dashboard themes. There will be an expansion available for 400 points as well. It includes 5 new skins for the lines-- red, yellow, blue, green, and orange colored lines. C'MON? REMEMBER PONG??? PONG WAS SO AWESOME!!! Welcome to the next gen!!!!

[quote name='help1'] or something with every menu centered around it...[/QUOTE]

If they set up a system where it replaces my default theme with the monthly Coca-cola sponsor, I am going to buttrape the microsoft live marketing team with the old Xbox 1 duke controller.

lol....first time in a week ive gone to log onto Live...and it wouldnt connect

good thing i saw this thread i thought my internet was being dumb

And even then, it was bumped a week, it ships on the 24th, in stores the 25th[/QUOTE]

I don't think the Xbox 360 one was bumped. I just saw an ad on ESPN for it and it said October 19.

How much you want to bet the "cool stuff" we get soon after is....nothing out of the ordinary?

I'm sure we won't be credited for a day of service either.

[quote name='Weedy649']lol....first time in a week ive gone to log onto Live...and it wouldnt connect

good thing i saw this thread i thought my internet was being dumb[/QUOTE]

But it's not 10/17 yet?

It ill problaly be something with the dash or they are setting it up so that your phone etc...can connect to xbl....XBL Anywhere anyone?

Unfortunately I won't have Splinter Cell to play. Picking it up with the TRU B2G1 deal. I think I can survive 24 hours though, just play the Fifa demo.

Considering that it's a big release, they'll probably have copies days in advance to release on tuesday. If they do release it on the 17th, then just play through the single player campaign.

What's the point of not telling people what the secret updates are going to be? This is only a few days away and people are going to know soon enough, they might as well tell everyone.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']"Bust out your big black buddy original Xbox"

Let me bust a nut in Microsoft's eye for even saying this.

We shouldn't have to bust out anything, backwards compatibility is one reason I bought the system.[/quote]
Lol :lol:

This (17th) is the day before the last day of the PSU beta testing... and that hasn't even hit Marketplace yet.

It'd be nice if they let you sign on to your account automatically under a different status, like "Busy" or "Appear Offline". I have my friends hop on my account and play and other people end up messaging me when I'm not the one playing.

[quote name='Brak']This (17th) is the day before the last day of the PSU beta testing... and that hasn't even hit Marketplace yet.[/QUOTE]

The 18th's the last day, actually.

Also, there might be a way to get around it. Check the PSU thread, for I am lazy.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Considering that it's a big release, they'll probably have copies days in advance to release on tuesday. If they do release it on the 17th, then just play through the single player campaign.[/quote]

"big releases" don't mean they get copies days in advance, only street dated titles come in days in advance. They may same day ship it so they'll have it Tuesday night, though.

Awesome about the 360 version being this week.

[quote name='SpikeSpiegel']Chill out, you're acting like M$ just kicked your dog.
I joke, I just don't care because I hardly use XBL.[/quote]

Who are you?

[quote name='Apossum']3 things:

1. i decided to kill the joke before someone else did.

2. 1 day isn't the end of the world. most normal people won't notice.

3. the new cool thing will be Pong. yes, the original Pong! YOU LOVE PONG!! It'll be 800 points. there will also be Pong gamerpics (your choice of left line, right line, black background or dot) and Pong dashboard themes. There will be an expansion available for 400 points as well. It includes 5 new skins for the lines-- red, yellow, blue, green, and orange colored lines. C'MON? REMEMBER PONG??? PONG WAS SO AWESOME!!! Welcome to the next gen!!!![/quote]

Yeesh, is it Friday the 13th already? Not sure why you and that other guy I wasn't even addressing are taking my post so seriously, but I was just being facetious--or maybe that :wink: wasn't enough? What we can't even joke around here anymore?

In all seriousness, Blizzard credits customers for long downtime without anyone even asking--so all those alleged 6 million subscribers aren't normal?

And, hey even if MS doesn't do anything, the world will still turn, go figure.

Meh, whatever.

360 Achievement Points --->>> Live Marketplace Points (???)

That'd be neat. It'd make those numbers mean something anyway.

bread's done
Back