10% Off Amazon Gaming Purchases and Other Perks with ECA Membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaoz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
CheapyD update - (The discount codes are presently unique one-time use coupons. Members should download one coupon per game, one game per cart. Multi-time use individually-assigned codes are coming soon.)

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it's a one time use.

http://kotaku.com/5188412/eca-membership-delivers-amazon-discounts---updated

What's in it for you if you join the Entertainment Consumer Association? Well, now the $20 membership gives you 10 percent off games on Amazon. UPDATE: From a forum admin at the ECA, it seems the discount codes they're handing out now are one-time use only. The ECA describes this as a glitch - "the module we are using that only distributes one time use codes, such as for our GameFly promotion." They intend to fix it shortly. You can read the full statement here.
Curious that we're hearing of this as an oh-by-the-way that ECA prez Hal Halpin dropped in a GDC interview. I'd think they'd want to blast a news release far and wide on it. But it's out there now, and if you buy 2 games a year on Amazon, the membership's basically paid for itself.
The ECA is the closest thing there is to a gamer's lobby. So if you appreciate their advocacy, you can back it, and get something back from it, too.

I contacted the ECA President. He thinks the discount should be mult-use, but we won't know for sure for a day or two.

Guess I'm not really telling you anything you don't already know, but I am trying to get some answers.

[quote name='CheapyD']I contacted the ECA President. He thinks the discount should be mult-use, but we won't know for sure for a day or two.

Guess I'm not really telling you anything you don't already know, but I am trying to get some answers.[/quote]

Thanks for the help.

[quote name='prateeko']I doubt it'll end up as such, but if it is I'll probably never buy games from any other place[/quote]

Seriously, especially when they have some of their pre-orders up for like $53. Consistently getting new releases for under $50 sounds like my kind of deal.

[quote name='doodofdoods']How about the code for GOG? 20% off new game purchases. Anyone try that yet?[/QUOTE]

itsatrap.jpg

GOG doesn't sell any new games. It's right in the title: Good OLD Games

[quote name='Arcademode']i suppose the 10% discount excludes consoles? I tried using it for the DSi and failed.[/QUOTE]

EXCLUDING HARDWARE!

So for the $15 for people in college, do you just need a .edu e-mail address? $15 makes it seem a little more worth it to me than $20...I generally don't buy that many non-used / non clearance games.

ED: NM, all you need is a .edu or .mil addy to get the $15. I'm glad my college lets us keep our .edu permanently :lol:

I can't imagine that this could be 10% off games all year long at Amazon. There's no way that would make sense for them. I suspect an error on ECM's part, one I presume they'll have to refund membership fees for.

So, do we have concrete confirmation regarding the 10% Amazon discount yet or is it all still speculation at this point? I'm ready to put down my money for a membership if the 10% is good for all year long. Otherwise, it's pointless to me.

[quote name='Pck21']So, do we have concrete confirmation regarding the 10% Amazon discount yet or is it all still speculation at this point? I'm ready to put down my money for a membership if the 10% is good for all year long. Otherwise, it's pointless to me.[/quote]

Nothing confirmed as of yet

[quote name='Kaoz']Nothing confirmed as of yet[/QUOTE]

Darn. Well ok then I guess we continue to wait! Thanks for the reply!

From the e-mail I got, it seems like it's up to Amazon to decide.

"We are in touch with Amazon on this and are waiting for a response back from them. Sorry for the inconvenience and you should hear back from us today, hopefully."

I signed up before finding out about this nice glitch and since I have my college e-mail address. I'd guess they'd refund my membership if the Amazon code goes awry, since it would definitely be something along the lines of false advertising/bait and switch type stuff.

ECA website currently states:

Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it. (The discount code is presently a unique one-time use coupon. We are working with Amazon to determine if the codes can be upgraded to unique multi-use codes. Thank you for your patience.)

[quote name='clads01']ECA website currently states:

Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it. (The discount code is presently a unique one-time use coupon. We are working with Amazon to determine if the codes can be upgraded to unique multi-use codes. Thank you for your patience.)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update! If they do strike a deal with Amazon, they will be rolling in the dough from CAG members alone lol.

what the hell? they should know what the deal is with amazon before making it sound like an unlimited use code. This seems very shady or poorly handled.

Hopefully we can get an answer by tonight so we can use the 10% off all day tomorrow! (Gold Box Wii event)

Glad I've taken 10 years to work through college ;) It will save me $5!

I'm thinking that Amazon might try to meet them in the middle and probably will offer "multi-use" as far as being able to get the discount either 2 to 3 times per year. For some reason, I get the feeling that they won't do an all-year promotion...but if they did, I am soOOOooOO in! :whee:

[quote name='RobnessMonster']I'm thinking that Amazon might try to meet them in the middle and probably will offer "multi-use" as far as being able to get the discount either 2 to 3 times per year. For some reason, I get the feeling that they won't do an all-year promotion...but if they did, I am soOOOooOO in! :whee:[/quote]

ditto. if they got one year coupon codes from amazon this org would have a LOT of money from just membership fees.

Okay, I signed up. Well worth it if you want to make sure gaming doesn't get screwed over by politicians or publishers.

Also, as far as benefits go there's a GOG.com 20% off deal (saw it now that I'm logged in). I *think* that's one time use, but regardless, worth something right there too.

[quote name='thaima1shu']I would definitely be all over this if this code could work all year. Hope that's the case. Anxiously awaiting an update.[/QUOTE]

I can see getting alot of pre-orders if this is the case.

Amazon already does do 10% off on pre-orders now, and getting another 10% on top is just enough to get me to get day 1 purchases.

so far, being too much of a cheap ass... I can't pay retail anything.

with Atlus' goodies and amazon's prices... that could change.

The way they have dealt with this promotion so far has left me unimpressed.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Guys, I read this today:

http://feeds.arstechnica.com/~r/arstechnica/index/~3/nftxHUH2E7M/halpin.ars

And this is an organization we want to join anyway. Even if we're only getting to use this code once, it's still more than worth it. Nobody else is standing up for us. The discounts you get are just a bonus regardless.

I'd actually heard about this a while back, but somehow forgot. I'm signing up now though.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ebay33']The way they have dealt with this promotion so far has left me unimpressed.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it says a lot about an organization's effectiveness in how they deal with issues... if they can't even get their president to say the right things about their promotion, then are sent scrambling trying to figure out what the promotion even is, what does that say about their ability to get their actual points across for gaming?

Not trying to flame them, but this whole situation does give a look into how an organization works.

[quote name='ebay33']The way they have dealt with this promotion so far has left me unimpressed.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.

[quote name='Justin42']Yeah, it says a lot about an organization's effectiveness in how they deal with issues... if they can't even get their president to say the right things about their promotion, then are sent scrambling trying to figure out what the promotion even is, what does that say about their ability to get their actual points across for gaming?

Not trying to flame them, but this whole situation does give a look into how an organization works.[/QUOTE]

+1

If a company, no matter how morally good, cannot get their "S" in a pile over something as simple as their own promotion, then it does not shed a good light on that company. I don't care what the outcome of the situation is, I just want a firm and concrete answer. If the promotion is 10% off ALL gaming purchases for an entire year on Amazon, count me in. Otherwise, I'm out. The ball is in their court now and they better figure out a solution, and fast, before they lose the people that were initially interested, like myself.

Because no company has ever made a mistake in the history of business right? Therefore, no one should ever join or invest in any company in the history of ever?

[quote name='Traitorious']Because no company has ever made a mistake in the history of business right? Therefore, no one should ever join or invest in any company in the history of ever?[/QUOTE]

I think you're taking my, and other posters', thoughts to the extreme. This is a new company to me and right now I don't have a high opinion of them because of the way they have conducted business. Every business has a few black marks, but I have a choice at which one I want to conduct business with. At this point, I'd rather choose to go elsewhere and other CAGs may feel the same way.

[quote name='Traitorious']Because no company has ever made a mistake in the history of business right? Therefore, no one should ever join or invest in any company in the history of ever?[/QUOTE]

It is how a company HANDLES the inevitable mistakes that defines whether or not you should do business with them.

The fact that ECA don't even seem to know what their promotion is-- and it's been in limbo for a few days-- doesn't look good. The big selling point was "Just buy 3 games in a year and your membership is paid off!" but if it's a one-time use code that's not quite so easy.

The ECA president has brought some news. Here's a direct quote:

Quick update: the developers are working on a fix that will permit members to login and download multiple unique one-time use codes. Each code will continue to be used one time and by the member only. Once we've used the current allotment of coupon codes, we'll re-assess and likely request one unique multi-use code per member, which would remain in your respective profiles. So... the faster we use up the current batch, the faster we're likely to have an end-solution (tell your friends!).

[quote name='ID2006']The ECA president has brought some news. Here's a direct quote:[/quote]

Is that on their website anywhere?

[quote name='kidu']Is that on their website anywhere?[/quote]

Yeah. It's in the forum. I should have just linked it in my post, but I wasn't thinking.

LINK

doesn't that seem like one could enter early and get the code in on multiple purchases, effectively drying up the option for other members?

oh and didn't see, is GOG discount good for 1 purchase or all purchases?

Quick update: the developers are working on a fix that will permit members to login and download multiple unique one-time use codes. Each code will continue to be used one time and by the member only. Once we've used the current allotment of coupon codes, we'll re-assess and likely request one unique multi-use code per member, which would remain in your respective profiles. So... the faster we use up the current batch, the faster we're likely to have an end-solution (tell your friends!).

or all of the codes could be used ./... amazon says no more and then you just got a hell of a mess on yoru hands

why so dense?

If you're trying to get people to pay money to join your group and you offer a promotion with that, you better make sure you have it right. Nobody likes a bait-and-switch. and with the wording of the promotion and the current situation, that's what this looks like. I feel bad for anyone who joined up thinking they'd have a permanent 10% off at amazon.

Things happen, I can deal with the mess up, but the way they handle this is really odd...

Like others stated, when you run a promotion, especially one dealing with another company, how can you not know specifically the term and how it would be handled.

So fine, they goofed the 1st time with 1 time use coupon, but after a few days, how could they still leave it to limbo with languages like "we'll reassess", "likely" and "the faster we use up the current batch, the faster we're likely to have an end-solution".

Seriously, knock down the term, let us know... either we bite or like me, lick my wound and move on.

I would act like people here are in the right for them wording it improperly, but with how other mistakes get dealt with here... (zOMG THEY CANCELED MY PRICE ERROR ORDER! THAT 90% OFF COUPON ORDER GOT KILLED? OHEMGEES THEY WON'T HONOR THAT OFFER NOW?) I really can't take the majority of people here very seriously.

[quote name='georox']I would act like people here are in the right for them wording it improperly, but with how other mistakes get dealt with here... (zOMG THEY CANCELED MY PRICE ERROR ORDER! THAT 90% OFF COUPON ORDER GOT KILLED? OHEMGEES THEY WON'T HONOR THAT OFFER NOW?) I really can't take the majority of people here very seriously.[/quote]

It sounds like you don't really have a handle on the situation. I'm not going to explain it all to you, but maybe you should go back and inform yourself a little better before posting.

[quote name='wasabi5858']Things happen, I can deal with the mess up, but the way they handle this is really odd...

Like others stated, when you run a promotion, especially one dealing with another company, how can you not know specifically the term and how it would be handled.

So fine, they goofed the 1st time with 1 time use coupon, but after a few days, how could they still leave it to limbo with languages like "we'll reassess", "likely" and "the faster we use up the current batch, the faster we're likely to have an end-solution".

Seriously, knock down the term, let us know... either we bite or like me, lick my wound and move on.[/quote]

I brought up these points on the ECA forum when this all started and got flamed by the regulars for joining for the wrong reason and not truly supporting the ECA. They actually suggested it was better that people who joined for the discount not join at all and it was somehow wrong of me to expect what I was promised.

Unfortunately for them, they fail to realize that it doesn't matter why people join, it just matters that the ECA gets our dues and has sufficient funds to operate effectively. Some people are so loyal it sickens me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back