10% Off Amazon Gaming Purchases and Other Perks with ECA Membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaoz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
CheapyD update - (The discount codes are presently unique one-time use coupons. Members should download one coupon per game, one game per cart. Multi-time use individually-assigned codes are coming soon.)

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sliknik27']
Unfortunately for them, they fail to realize that it doesn't matter why people join, it just matters that the ECA gets our dues and has sufficient funds to operate effectively. Some people are so loyal it sickens me.[/quote]

Well what really matters is how much these codes are costing the ECA. If they were meant to be one-time use (regardless of what verbage was on the site), turning them into multi-use might cost them more than your $20 per person.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Well what really matters is how much these codes are costing the ECA. If they were meant to be one-time use (regardless of what verbage was on the site), turning them into multi-use might cost them more than your $20 per person.[/QUOTE]

All I can say to that is that it sucks for them and maybe they'll learn how to communicate to potential members properly next time.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Well what really matters is how much these codes are costing the ECA. If they were meant to be one-time use (regardless of what verbage was on the site), turning them into multi-use might cost them more than your $20 per person.[/quote]

That's obviously true, but they've already made it clear that they intended them to be unlimited use. And besides that, this simply reinforces what everyone has been saying: They should've done their homework better before posting it to the site and letting Hal go crazy with the PR promises.

[quote name='sliknik27']That's obviously true, but they've already made it clear that they intended them to be unlimited use. And besides that, this simply reinforces what everyone has been saying: They should've done their homework better before posting it to the site and letting Hal go crazy with the PR promises.[/quote]

Yeah, I find this fairly humorous. I hope they at least have SOMETHING done though in the next few weeks. I'm gonna lose 2.50 not being able to use this on Rhythm Heaven, but my next order is Devil Summoner 2 in mid-May. The funny thing is that, in the e-mail they sent me a few days ago, they said they would probably have an answer for me that day...and it's been quite a few days now.

They really must know their video games well though if they're able to emulate one of the vital aspects of the industry: providing promises of something awesome and then resulting with utter disappointment.

apparently even the one time use code can only be applied to one game, not an entire order with multiple games....

I had a cart full of games with patapon 2 being the cheapest at $19.99. I applied the coupon and only received $2 off of my entire order (around $360 worth of pre-orders). I went and took out patapon 2 and my discount increased to $4.70 because the next cheapest game in my order was punchout at $46.99. Kinda lame that you can't use it for the total order price.

I don't like that this auto-renews either. I actually think I'd keep supporting them, but I don't like ANY auto-renewing thing, especially if there's no web interface for disabling it.

Oh well, at worst I'll be giving them some cash and getting a few dollars off some Amazon and Gog thing. They really did blow it though with this! Its like they and Amazon never remotely nailed down what this was.

[quote name='BooSe86']apparently even the one time use code can only be applied to one game, not an entire order with multiple games....

I had a cart full of games with patapon 2 being the cheapest at $19.99. I applied the coupon and only received $2 off of my entire order (around $360 worth of pre-orders). I went and took out patapon 2 and my discount increased to $4.70 because the next cheapest game in my order was punchout at $46.99. Kinda lame that you can't use it for the total order price.[/quote]

Interesting... Not just one-time use, but one-item use. I hope they are able to fix it.

I agree everything seems too up in the air. Like that guy here said, what if Amazon decides not to do more codes? So when is this new unlimited one-time use code thing suppose to be up?

So basically, "sign up now before the codes get used up... and hope for the best later?"

Their response doesn't even make sense. Tell your friends to sign up, so that you'll have more competition for the limited pool of codes we have. Use them up sooner, because only after we use up all our codes will amazon work out a deal with us? I'm curious, when did they already implement the login and download system?

The ECA site now generates additional codes if you are a member, however I have yet to get any of them to work... I've tried both pre-ordering games and buying something that is already out... no luck with the new codes at all.

I've inquired about the problem on the ECA forums... we'll see what happens

Let us know. I'm more concerned that you have to actually CALL to cancel. Like I'd probably be a member yearly anyway, but I want the CHOICE to renew or not every year.

Yeah...
For me, it is like... Fine, this is for a good cause and I saved 4 bucks, I can live with that. The auto renewal on the other hand would be the reason that I consciously go forward with canceling my membership.

Can someone who has already used their Amazon code please log into their ECA account and see if they can generate another code? I just got a press release from the ECA that says:

The Amazon coupon codes are individual unique one-time use codes that members can download. Amazon has not restricted the number of codes each member can retrieve through their profile page on theECA.com, so members who buy more than a few games per year will effectively cover their ECA dues and save a lot more, annually, than non-members.
Edit: I did just log into my ECA account and was able to generate multiple codes, but the subsequent codes don't work after you've already placed an order using a code.

Actually no, not for me at least. The site does allow me to generate multiple codes just as CheapyD says, but Amazon won't let me redeem the code. I get the following message:
We're sorry, but the promotional code you entered cannot be applied to this purchase. Please refer to your promotional coupon for information about item or store restrictions.

All video and PC games currently have a promotion that gives you 50% off a future magazine subscription purchase, and this promotion is automatically applied when you go to check out. So I suppose it's possible that the ECA code might work on its own, but is being blocked due to the magazine promo? Either way, it looks like no dice, at least not yet.

It seems like this will definitely be resolved soon, but as abilyk says (and I just confirmed myself), you can generate multiple codes, but the subsequent codes don't work after you've already placed an order using a code.

I've emailed the president of The ECA about this and will update you when I know more. Sorry for jumping the gun!

I can generate multiple codes, but Amazon says that they are invalid when I try to enter them at checkout. I used my initial code a week ago with no problems, but none of these are working.

Yup. I'll jump at this IMMEDIATELY if they can get those codes working. Could be a wonderful wonderful thing for an amazon addict like meself :)

[quote name='MuzykMann']Yup. I'll jump at this IMMEDIATELY if they can get those codes working. Could be a wonderful wonderful thing for an amazon addict like meself :)[/quote]

Ditto. I'm already going to be using Amazon a LOT more because of the huge CA tax increase, especially in LA county where I think its either 10% or very close to it. Since Amazon doesn't charge tax (yet, hopefully never will), and they usually sell games for less anyways PLUS an extra 10% discount from the ECA (hopefully) would give them a huge edge over local retailers and online sites that charge CA tax.

[quote name='prateeko']Also, are people able to apply the code to current pre-orders?[/quote]I pre-ordered Rock Band: Beatles Special Edition.

I heard from the ECA President. They currently have a bunch of these one-time use codes. Apparently some users have problems using more than one of these on the same account. Once they burn through these codes, Amazon is going to provide each ECA member with a single unique code that will stick to their account and provide the 10% off discount.

[quote name='CaptDS9E']Once cali passes a law for it they will. It happened in NYC last year[/quote]

Wasn't there more to that law though? I remember Amazon fighting New York over it since they didn't want to charge NYC customers tax.

If they end up doing that in California, I'm moving to Oregon or something.

Cheapy, they'll actually ship that huge box over to Japan? Amazon is awesome if they do.

[quote name='CaptDS9E']Once cali passes a law for it they will. It happened in NYC last year[/QUOTE]

California doesn't have to pass anything. Under California law, you are required to pay a use tax on any item you buy from an out-of-state retailer and use in California. There is a section on the California tax forms already for this tax. I know that some people ignore it, but it doesn't change the fact that it's already the law here.

[quote name='bojay1997']California doesn't have to pass anything. Under California law, you are required to pay a use tax on any item you buy from an out-of-state retailer and use in California. There is a section on the California tax forms already for this tax. I know that some people ignore it, but it doesn't change the fact that it's already the law here.[/quote]

This guy knows his stuff. The thing is though, since theyre upping the tax percentage here, theyre probably going to change that requirement and make it the responsibility of out-of-state retailers to charge people in california that tax instead of expecting people to voluntarily shoot themselves in the foot by essentially signing up for taxes.

Its like when you buy a car from a private seller. When you go to the dmv, you can either truthfully tell them how much you paid for the car and pay a hefty tax, or tell them you bought it for $1 and give them a few cents. Which option do you think most people would choose?

ANYWAYS, back on topic. I finally registered to the ECA. Thanks for the update CheapyD.

So maybe a clarification - but how does Amazon know you are the proper owner of the code? By that I mean, what is preventing someone from getting a free 10% off code and giving it away, then just getting a new one?

[quote name='ducci']So maybe a clarification - but how does Amazon know you are the proper owner of the code? By that I mean, what is preventing someone from getting a free 10% off code and giving it away, then just getting a new one?[/quote]

I haven't signed up with ECA yet (planning to), but don't you have to link your ECA account to your Amazon account? That is the way I understood it.

They finally recognized the problem with the Amazon codes it seems (the NEWER problem with the one-time use code) on this thread. I think we might know the OP of that thread. I was wondering when they were going to address this. I had sent them an e-mail about a day after Xfactor posted that thread, and I have yet to hear back from them.

[quote name='United_Korea']can you use the free gamefly month even if you've already tried a free month from the netflix promo?[/QUOTE]

probally not... its usually one promo per household... Call gamefly up and ask them

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back