10% Off Amazon Gaming Purchases and Other Perks with ECA Membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaoz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
CheapyD update - (The discount codes are presently unique one-time use coupons. Members should download one coupon per game, one game per cart. Multi-time use individually-assigned codes are coming soon.)

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='prateeko']I guess it hasn't been updated in a while, but yes, it is 10% off all year long.

Also, is there a reason why this isn't a sticky?[/quote]

First line in the first post is

"CheapyD update - (The discount codes are presently unique one-time use coupons. Members should download one coupon per game, one game per cart. Multi-time use individually-assigned codes are coming soon.)"

Is it still this way or has it changed?

[quote name='Kaoz']First line in the first post is

"CheapyD update - (The discount codes are presently unique one-time use coupons. Members should download one coupon per game, one game per cart. Multi-time use individually-assigned codes are coming soon.)"

Is it still this way or has it changed?[/quote]

See? This is really unclear.

I think someone in the thread tried a few things and most things worked although I don't think XBL points worked and maybe XBLA games? not sure though do a quick search, if I get time I'll try my codes out and see if they give the discount.

[quote name='evergoo']I have experimented ECA codes on the following items. Here are my results:

World of Warcraft Battlechest: Yes
Wii Fit: Yes
The Beatles Rock Band Bundle preorder: Yes
Punchout Wii preorder: Yes
Wii Remote: Yes
Wii Points Card: Yes
PlayStation 3 Bluetooth Headset: Yes
PlayStation 3 HDMI Cables: Yes
Resident Evil 5 Strategy Guide: No
Gaming Mouse: No
PlayStation 3 Uncharted Bundle: No
Nintendo Wii: No
XBox Live Points Digital Code: No

Based on these tests, it looks like the codes work on PC/video game software, software bundles, and all video game accessories. Hope this info helps others. :D[/quote]

Ah, nevermind. Found the post with the discount tests. Thanks!

I am sure this has probably been answered but...

Anyway to get the student/military discount pricing if your school doesn't provide you with an .edu email address to use?

Thanks!

[quote name='Pajama_Man']I am sure this has probably been answered but...

Anyway to get the student/military discount pricing if your school doesn't provide you with an .edu email address to use?

Thanks![/quote]

From the way the system is setup, that's the only way currently to do so. You'll have to get in touch with them to see if there's another way.

This membership is really worth it. I just joined today and have already saved over $6. I still have the next 364 days to save :D

This is weird, I made an account, but I can't find where to take advantage of the benefits, etc. Nor did it ask me for my credit card at signup, any advice?

Check your junk mail if it's not in your in-box. You have to click on a link in the e-mail and then enter your info and purchase 1 membership.

[quote name='bsmith918']Check your junk mail if it's not in your in-box. You have to click on a link in the e-mail and then enter your info and purchase 1 membership.[/quote]

Thanks...I got it for $15. This should be useful when black friday comes along.:lol:

I guess my post about various tests wasn't clear, since so many people are still asking the same questions. ;)

As jacknicklson and I have mentioned, all physical points cards work. It's just the digital ones that fail.

Signed up using my wife's student email ... this is worth it as saved $5.30 off infamous, then used other codes to pre-order Uncharted 2, Ratchet & Clank a Crack In Time and God of War III. Which saved the price of the $14.99 subscription!

[quote name='jacs']Not really good deal since you will only save $1 per every $10 spent.[/quote]
If you spend more than $200 (or $150 for the lucky ones) a year on Amazon, this comes in handy. That's easily done with a few game purchases.

That's not including the other discounts you get from being a member.

[quote name='jacs']Not really good deal since you will only save $1 per every $10 spent.[/quote]

10% is 10%, but if you want to make it seem worth it, you can spend a million dollar on games, and you can save a whopping $100,000. :p
But seriously, I think most everyone is happy with this because we can easily break even, support our hobby/ECA, and then earn an additional 10% off for the rest of the year.

The savings all adds up.

for example, SMT: Devil Summoner 2 ended up being $32.39

If I were to pick this up at retail, it would be $39.99 + 9.25% tax. which would be approx $43.7 so I saved over $11 which all of a sudden is more than 25% off retail. I can live with that. Plus, you are supporting ECA which essentially cost me nothing.

[quote name='asthmatic']10% is 10%, but if you want to make it seem worth it, you can spend a million dollar on games, and you can save a whopping $100,000. :p
But seriously, I think most everyone is happy with this because we can easily break even, support our hobby/ECA, and then earn an additional 10% off for the rest of the year.[/QUOTE]

Most people will break even on Black Friday alone.

Ugh, my school e-mail rejected the validation e-mail, so I ended up using my other non-student e-mail address. I wanted to use the coupon for Prince of Persia so badly, plus I didn't want to deal with going to computing support to resolve the issue.

$20 is still worth it - I'm already buying $200 worth of games within the next 3 months, including Batman Arkham Asylum.

Hey CAGs the 10% code also works on game accessories, I tried it on a PS3 Dualshock 3 and it worked, it took $4.30 off. So its games and accessories.

I tried it on a console but it did not allow it.

Thanks for pointing out what 10% off means to everyone.

Seriously, one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen.

Thanks Mr Obvious. It's a great deal if anyone typically spends more then $150 or $200 on amazon in a year which I tend to do with their DoTD's and tendency to price match major ad's from other stores.

[quote name='eastx']I haven't received a confirmation email even after requesting that it be resent. Is there anything I can do?[/QUOTE]

Did you check your spam folder?

[quote name='WreckedPIG']How do I use the gog.com code more than once? I keep getting refused.[/QUOTE]

gog (and direct2drive) are 1-time only coupons. There is a chance they might move to unlimited, but nothing new on this front has been mentioned.

[quote name='WreckedPIG']How do I use the gog.com code more than once? I keep getting refused.[/quote]

Get a new code for every use. It's on the benefits page.

I forgot my .mil address was still active. Signed up for $14.99. Not bad. My first purchase will be inFAMOUS for less than $50 shipped on release day. Sweet. I can't wait until black Friday.

Read through the whole thread, but still concerns...

1. Cheapy said they were working on getting a single coupon code that linked to your Amazon account and worked all year automatically. This would be MUCH easier. If this ends up happening, does that put early subscribers at a disadvantage, who will still have to use the clunky coupon generator?

2. This still applies to only 1 item per order? So, if one bought 4 Wii Motion Plus Units, you'd have to place 4 separate orders? Seems like this is grounds for Amazon to permanently close your account due to Prime abuse (I had a warning sent to me for using Prime excessively in the past, and if I didn't use it less, my account would be closed without refund).

3. There's no denying this is a great deal, but Amazon is known for closing members' accounts if they're not making money of them more or less (just google 'amazon account closed'), so I wonder if this discount increases risk... Once you get banned from Amazon, it's near impossible to ever open another account with them...

[quote name='ddeeaallzz']Read through the whole thread, but still concerns...

1. Cheapy said they were working on getting a single coupon code that linked to your Amazon account and worked all year automatically. This would be MUCH easier. If this ends up happening, does that put early subscribers at a disadvantage, who will still have to use the clunky coupon generator?

2. This still applies to only 1 item per order? So, if one bought 4 Wii Motion Plus Units, you'd have to place 4 separate orders? Seems like this is grounds for Amazon to permanently close your account due to Prime abuse (I had a warning sent to me for using Prime excessively in the past, and if I didn't use it less, my account would be closed without refund).

3. There's no denying this is a great deal, but Amazon is known for closing members' accounts if they're not making money of them more or less (just google 'amazon account closed'), so I wonder if this discount increases risk... Once you get banned from Amazon, it's near impossible to ever open another account with them...[/quote]

1. The ECA stated they were working on getting those codes for after the 10% codes were used up.

2. I have abused Prime and never got anything like that nor have I heard anything like that. And yes, 1 discount per order.

3. Sounds like paranoia, the ECA President himself said Amazon was pleased witht heir partnership.

Sorry one last question I forgot to ask... What's to prevent a member from giving away discount codes to other people that are generated?

[quote name='ddeeaallzz']Sorry one last question I forgot to ask... What's to prevent a member from giving away discount codes to other people that are generated?[/quote]

Not a thing right now... since the Amazon account and ECA account are disconnected. That is another reason that tying the accounts together benefits the ECA.

Oh... and I am selling discount codes $1 each.

Just kidding about the last part... but it was funny.

[quote name='ddeeaallzz']Sorry one last question I forgot to ask... What's to prevent a member from giving away discount codes to other people that are generated?[/quote]

Mob Violence against any greedy a-hole wanting to sell them for a buck a pop leading to the program being canceled and ruining it for everyone using them legitimately and trying to support a good cause.

[quote name='hoofrog']Not a thing right now... since the Amazon account and ECA account are disconnected. That is another reason that tying the accounts together benefits the ECA.

Oh... and I am selling discount codes $1 each.

Just kidding about the last part... but it was funny.[/QUOTE]

It's really stupid thing to do and easy to track down who is doing it since they have billing addresses, ip addresses, etc on everyone. I mean, it's $15 for a good cause. Even the cheapest of asses can shell that out considering how good Amazon's deals are (and no tax for most).

It's disappointing that the ECA didn't think this out better to benefit their organization with more subscribers. A coupon code that "sticks" to 1 Amazon account for multiple use was the only way to go...

I imagine with friends of friends of friends, this promotion is already getting abused...coupled with the Internet, it shouldn't take long before things get out of hand. Hopefully that 1-year-coupon for a single Amazon account is well on its way...

Signed up tonight (as student) and preordered Wii Resort, Wii Motion Plus, and Batman Collectors edition on PS3 - Membership paid for itself.

Mine seemed linked w/my Amazon account since I signed up yesterday. All orders I made last night and today show 10% discount already applied and yes, I already made $20 paid off. All good so far.

[quote name='n2Deepeth']Ugh, my school e-mail rejected the validation e-mail, so I ended up using my other non-student e-mail address. I wanted to use the coupon for Prince of Persia so badly, plus I didn't want to deal with going to computing support to resolve the issue.

$20 is still worth it - I'm already buying $200 worth of games within the next 3 months, including Batman Arkham Asylum.[/QUOTE]

My school e-mail also rejected the validation e-mail. Like 5x. It said there was a virus.

[quote name='Pootie Thang']My school e-mail also rejected the validation e-mail. Like 5x. It said there was a virus.[/quote]

This doesn't surprise me, as thunderbird keeps telling me (They are emailing me their newsletter everyday) that "this might be a scam".

I'm not sure why either, I mean its a legitimate enough email.

I never got a validation e-mail where I could enter payment info - I got the validation e-mail to sign up for the newsletter, i clicked that link, and now I get newsletters but I still can't give them money.

WTF? You'd think they'd, you know, want money.

[quote name='ddeeaallzz']It's disappointing that the ECA didn't think this out better to benefit their organization with more subscribers. A coupon code that "sticks" to 1 Amazon account for multiple use was the only way to go...

I imagine with friends of friends of friends, this promotion is already getting abused...coupled with the Internet, it shouldn't take long before things get out of hand. Hopefully that 1-year-coupon for a single Amazon account is well on its way...[/quote]
I'm sure that's what the ECA initially wanted (judging by the blurb under membership benefits), but they don't have control over what type of codes actually get used. That's all on Amazon's end.

I know I myself haven't abused this b/c I paid for it so I want this deal to stay around for the year I signed up for. hoping others have this train of thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back