10% Off Amazon Gaming Purchases and Other Perks with ECA Membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaoz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
CheapyD update - (The discount codes are presently unique one-time use coupons. Members should download one coupon per game, one game per cart. Multi-time use individually-assigned codes are coming soon.)

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CheapyD']It means its not being sold by Amazon, but the order is being fulfilled by them. Amazon is doing the packing and shipping, but is not the actual seller. That's why it's not eligible for the discount.

EDIT:
Oops...I misread part of your post.
Perhaps the reason Breakdown doesn't work is because it's priced at $4.99 and would only get you a $0.50 discount? It seems like the system does some rounding up and this might throw it off somehow. Just a theory.
Note: March Madness 07 $5.49 worked[/QUOTE]

Thanks Cheapy! Well, I went ahead and posted in their forums, and I'll try to post any updates. It turns out there's a long thread there about this issue, but most are prior to when they thought they fixed it.

[quote name='prateeko']Does this work on accessories (specifically the Punch out Amazon box)?[/quote]

It works on accessories. I just tried with the ION Drummer Kit for Xbox 360. The $28 discount is neat :bouncy:.

This is totally worth it. They are also supposed to have a discount for pax, but i can't find it. Even without that, with as much as i spend on amazon and GOG this is a crazy good deal.

[quote name='genfuyung']Does this work on preorders? I'd like to use it to preorder some of the big games this year.[/QUOTE]

Yep, seems to work fine.

I've a question, how do you guys justify that yearly fee from Amazon for Prime? Do you honestly order that many items that cost under $25?

The $70 fee is outrageous, I was expecting it to be more along the lines of 15-20.

[quote name='thehoweller']I've a question, how do you guys justify that yearly fee from Amazon for Prime? Do you honestly order that many items that cost under $25?

The $70 fee is outrageous, I was expecting it to be more along the lines of 15-20.[/quote]

Outrageous?!? :rofl:

Go ship something 2nd day through UPS, its crazy expensive. I can honestly say that Prime is the best $80 I spend all year.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Outrageous?!? :rofl:

Go ship something 2nd day through UPS, its crazy expensive. I can honestly say that Prime is the best $80 I spend all year.[/quote]
Agreed.

Before I had Prime I could not understand why people would pay for it. I tried a three month trial and haven't looked back. $80 is really cheap for what you get.

Yeah, I'm on my second year of Prime. I don't really know if I get my money's worth or not...I mean since free shipping is fast enough for me, but it is pretty cool.

I try to group things though, both so its cheaper to ship for Amazon (I hope) and so I don't have to deal with so many little packages.

[quote name='thehoweller']I've a question, how do you guys justify that yearly fee from Amazon for Prime? Do you honestly order that many items that cost under $25?

The $70 fee is outrageous, I was expecting it to be more along the lines of 15-20.[/quote]

You can also share your prime account with up to 5 other people. I think it's limited to family members, but there is no verification, so you could probably share with anyone.

Oh ye of little faith. It is an absolutely fantastic deal. I buy $10 games from them all the time.

[quote name='packman75']You can also share your prime account with up to 5 other people. I think it's limited to family members, but there is no verification, so you could probably share with anyone.[/quote]

Or sell it to "family"

Haha, that is what I did. It was on sale this fall, bought a sub for $59. Sold the 5 memberships to people for $12 each. Which means free Prime for me!

[quote name='packman75']You can also share your prime account with up to 5 other people. I think it's limited to family members, but there is no verification, so you could probably share with anyone.[/quote]

;) :whistle2:$ :whistle2:\" We can't talk about that on CAG anymore :D

[quote name='sliknik27']Oh ye of little faith. It is an absolutely fantastic deal. I buy $10 games from them all the time.[/quote]

Yeah, I wish it would include something for sellers, like reduced shipping fees. I would definitely jump on Prime then.

Anybody else getting access denied errors when trying to go to the membership area? I can log in fine but I can't get a code...

I need another one because Amazon lost my code or something. They completely revamped their checkout pages.

Works fine for me. Amazon added release day delivery for Ghost busters so I used that, a code, and it was already marked down. $51.xx shipped. Awesome deal

The $70 fee is outrageous, I was expecting it to be more along the lines of 15-20.[/QUOTE]

I'll echo what others have said, this is a great deal to me.

The key is 2nd day air (which is usually next day for me due to location) and the fact that I don't have to get to $25. Prior to Prime, I would order a blu-ray movie for $22.99 and then just throw crap in the cart to get to $25. Then I'd wait a week for my stuff to get here.

Most of my shopping now is done at Amazon, free 2nd day air and no tax combined with prices that are usually lower than Best Buy/Target...sign me up!

[quote name='Vinny']Anybody else getting access denied errors when trying to go to the membership area? I can log in fine but I can't get a code... [/quote]

I have the same issue, except I've never been able to figure out how to get the code, or pay for membership for that matter. I tried emailing them about 2 days ago, and thus far, nothing.

[quote name='Crono51']I have the same issue, except I've never been able to figure out how to get the code, or pay for membership for that matter. I tried emailing them about 2 days ago, and thus far, nothing.[/quote]

Read page 15 of this thread and try this tip:
"I read that. Anyway I finally got it. You have to go to the ECA website and after you log in you have to click on edit your membership info and finally click on resend validation email.

Anyway they should fix the process."

Hopefully that should get you going, otherwise your going to have to describe how your problem is different.

so 10% which means after the $20 I spend I need to actually spend up to $200 before I start seeing savings???

I guess if they out-right and told us this is NOT going to run out... but I'd be pist if I only was able to get the code 3-4 times.

I don't pay for full price and if amazon's pre-orders get low enough on DS games I might jump but saving 10% over that I might not....

I can justify Edge... used + trade ins + mag, on everything... but this... I don't know.

I don't want to buy alot of titles from amazon, only deals, and only games so I'll have to figure out if I'm going to be spending >$200 and hope I do and still be able to use the codes.

Someone tell me I'm totally backwards on this....

[quote name='Guerrilla']Cool trick for non-primes: if the ECA discount drops your Amazon game purchase under $25, you can still ship FSSS.[/quote]

That's not a trick. Coupons and GC's have NO effect on the FSSS minimum requirement.

[quote name='xycury']Someone tell me I'm totally backwards on this....[/quote]

I don't think your logic is wrong. To me, though, this is more about supporting the ECA. The 10% is a bonus. I think most of us spend $200 a year on Amazon, so at the end of the day, as long as the codes work, you'll break even. Not bad.

Either I'm impatient in waiting for Amazon to update the price on the Infamous that I've already ordered at $59.99 less the 10%, or they aren't updating the order I did w/ the ECA discount to $53.99 less the 10%. I reordered to get the price below $50 but I'm curious to see if they'll update the other order.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I don't think your logic is wrong. To me, though, this is more about supporting the ECA. The 10% is a bonus. I think most of us spend $200 a year on Amazon, so at the end of the day, as long as the codes work, you'll break even. Not bad.[/quote]That's a good way of thinking about it. Also, in xycury's case, I would understand why he doesn't see much value in it. If you're not out to support the ECA as your main driving point to signing up then it's not really a deal.

If, however, you're the type who buys console games at release, it's a great deal since Amazon frequently gives better prices than retail stores at release. Couple that with free shipping and no tax and you're saving somewhere around $10 on each release.

Dang it, the problem with some of these Amazon preorders is I need to be getting them from Gamestop because I have all that credit there (and that's where I trade in my games...although does Toys R Us have a program like that now?)

This is stupid... it's still not working for me. I can log in fine, view my info fine, but I still get the access denied error when I try to go the membership benefits page.:bomb:

[quote name='packman75']You can also share your prime account with up to 5 other people. I think it's limited to family members, but there is no verification, so you could probably share with anyone.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Prime is a "Christmas Gift" I share with my Mom, Sister, Dad and In-laws. They all love it as well, but I easily make use of it myself. The money I save in tax alone by buying all my CDs, DVDs and games more than pays for the service. Factor in the sharing and I can't believe I didn't do this years ago.

[quote name='Vinny']This is stupid... it's still not working for me. I can log in fine, view my info fine, but I still get the access denied error when I try to go the membership benefits page.:bomb:[/quote]

did you pay?

[quote name='Pootie Thang']Where do you pay at? I've been trying to find that for over two weeks now.[/quote]

Yeah me to I've been trying to find out how to pay for membership.

[quote name='bywaytm']did you pay?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was able to generate the codes just fine last week.

But it's working now... I have no idea what it didn't work for nearly a whole day.:whistle2:k

[quote name='Vinny']Yeah, I was able to generate the codes just fine last week.

But it's working now... I have no idea what it didn't work for nearly a whole day.:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Can you tell us where you paid at?

The ECA sends a confirmation email after you originally sign up. You need to click the link in the confirmation email in order to be a full member.

I did not get the original confirmation email so logged in and there was a link to request another confirmation email to be sent. I clicked it, got the email and was able to sign up for full membership.

If you didn't get the activation email then you have to request it while logged in. You'll get directed to the page to pay for a membership when you click on the activation email.

It's really confusing and they should clarify this somewhere prominent.

man with my pre-orders I've done so far I've saved like $35+ I'm definitely loving the eca right now. Helping support gamers rights rocks hardcore too!

[quote name='yingfo']Oh ok, the email to confirm got sent to my school spam mail, duh should of figured that out.[/quote]

I didn't figure it out either, since I got a confirmation mail and their newsletter in my inbox. However, the other email with the link to pay was in my spam folder.

Why it isn't visible on the ECA website is a mystery to me, but whatever.

[quote name='majorscud']man with my pre-orders I've done so far I've saved like $35+ I'm definitely loving the eca right now. Helping support gamers rights rocks hardcore too![/quote]
Yeah, this deal is great. It immediately paid for itself when I preordered a couple games that were on my 'definite' list and ordered Riddick. I figured I'd hold off on more game purchases for at least a month (I've been buying way too many games lately). But then my wife got me a PS3, so I was able to use the 10% off on a couple PS3 games, too.

In reality, I did think about if I wanted to support the ECA to get this discount. I'm not sure how I feel about Hal Halpin; I have no specific reason to say this other than I don't know much about Hal other than reading a handful of articles he's written.

I signed up when the deal was first announced, and have used codes on two purchases so far. I usually buy new release games from Amazon so this deal is very much relevant to my interests. :)

I haven't read all 22 pages of this thread, but there's also a 10% discount code for AstroGaming.com which will save you a nice chunk of change off a $250 pair of killer 5.1 wired headphones.

I would suggest that people that are having issues with the ECA website might try sending an @reply to @theECA on Twitter. I got a better response there as opposed to sending an e-mail.

Well, I must be stupid. I cant find the Amazon 10% discount code. From what I can see I'm a full member (I paid and it shows that I paid...) but I'm not seeing any codes...anywhere. It says to go to the "Benefits" section, but I canst find it...?

EDIT: I swear, every time I ask how to do/find something, I figure it out right after...under Members Area, not Membership Benefits...

Er, but now the code isnt working...is it only for games? Im trying to order a PS2? Hm, not systems I guess...now I think I remember reading that...or did I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back