10% Off Amazon Gaming Purchases and Other Perks with ECA Membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaoz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
CheapyD update - (The discount codes are presently unique one-time use coupons. Members should download one coupon per game, one game per cart. Multi-time use individually-assigned codes are coming soon.)

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IvanHood']It's a full year from the date you join.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I guess i'll wait to sign up til the day I want to buy something, to maximize it.

[quote name='KongaKing']Thanks. I guess i'll wait to sign up til the day I want to buy something, to maximize it.[/quote]
This deal is too good to be true and ppl will start abusing it, jump now before they cancel it

[quote name='Morphine']This deal is too good to be true and ppl will start abusing it, jump now before they cancel it[/quote]

How is it too good to be true? They intended to give us a permanent 10% discount on video game purchases at Amazon. It may not be working as originally advertised, but they'll eventually work it out to prevent abuse. Join up now to support a good cause immediately and get an awesome perk.

[quote name='sliknik27']How is it too good to be true? They intended to give us a permanent 10% discount on video game purchases at Amazon. It may not be working as originally advertised, but they'll eventually work it out to prevent abuse. Join up now to support a good cause immediately and get an awesome perk.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and the boatloads of extra money amazon sees from this. Now people will buy more at $60 -10% cuz they have the discount instead of waiting for $40~$50...

Anyone know if the 10% applies to videogame related items like the DSi? I know it says "videogames" but is it strictly a software discount or does it cover accessories and consoles too?

[quote name='etcrane']Anyone know if the 10% applies to videogame related items like the DSi? I know it says "videogames" but is it strictly a software discount or does it cover accessories and consoles too?[/quote]

it would probably be a good idea for you to read the thread before posting.

[quote name='lolwaut']it would probably be a good idea for you to read the thread before posting.[/QUOTE]

**BANNED**

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='etcrane']Oh, I'm sorry ... are we not allowed to ask questions on the forums anymore ... loljackas ... I mean waut

And yes ... I can read but sadly didn't have time to read through 16 pages for a simple answer to a yes or no question ... I will now happily keep my $20 if you're a reflection of the ECA's membership ;-)[/QUOTE]

Stop being condescending. You've been here since 2003 so I assume you're not a dumbass, but you neglect the search feature whereby simply typing hardware in the "Search this thread" gets four replies, all of which clearly state this doesn't apply to hardware.

Of course, you've been here long enough that you should know hardware is sold pretty much at cost and except for Dell, everyone sells at MSRP...

[quote name='etcrane']I will now happily keep my $20 if you're a reflection of the ECA's membership ;-)[/quote]

How does this even affect him at all, by the way? This would be your loss and nobody else is affected by this. Um ....

By the way, definitely excited about this working now. Just put in a pre-order for Batman: Arkham Asylum collector's edition!

Finally got the sign up thing to work and damn, that was nice. I already saved $6 and I could have saved more if it let you apply codes to old orders.

Sweet deal.

Too bad this doesn't work on third party sellers from Amazon. I vary rarely buy games brand new. Though I'm pretty sure I want to get Bioshock 2 the day it's released so maybe I'll do it for that. This would be nice for my free Amazon gift cards too [check sig].

Just signed up and did 2 pre-orders (a re-pre-order on Raiden Fighter Aces, and I picked up Steal Princess since I saw it dropped to $30.99).. I had to generate 2 different codes for each order, nothing automatically stuck, unfortunately, but the 2 codes worked fine. So I've already saved $5.10 of my membership fees.

I did accidentally use the wrong email address (not the address my Amazon account is on) when I first signed up for the account but after getting the verification email I changed it before paying. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Sort of tempted to put an order through for the Ghostbusters LE..

[quote name='Justin42']Just signed up and did 2 pre-orders (a re-pre-order on Raiden Fighter Aces, and I picked up Steal Princess since I saw it dropped to $30.99).. I had to generate 2 different codes for each order, nothing automatically stuck, unfortunately, but the 2 codes worked fine. So I've already saved $5.10 of my membership fees.

I did accidentally use the wrong email address (not the address my Amazon account is on) when I first signed up for the account but after getting the verification email I changed it before paying. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Sort of tempted to put an order through for the Ghostbusters LE..[/quote]So when you fill out the initial info, I should use my e-mail tied to my Amazon account and not my university e-mail? Just making sure since I thought I read it doesn't really check for a .edu address.

[quote name='DarkYoda']Hmm I'm wondering how useful this might be on the Xbox Live deals amazon has been doing...[/quote]
Not useful, since it doesn't work on the Amazon XBL store.

Question-it's occured to me that it's really inefficient for Amazon to have to ship a bunch of separate orders to me because I can't use multiple codes on the same order for multiple games...

So is it possible to place a few separate orders, each with a different code, and then try to combine them, and still get the discount? I'm just thinking that would be cheaper for Amazon to ship that way (and possibly better for the environment than to have UPS try and deliver 5 different $7 games or whatever!)

[quote name='DarkYoda']Hmm I'm wondering how useful this might be on the Xbox Live deals amazon has been doing...[/QUOTE]

That would be awesome but it dosen't work (at least not for points codes).

I signed up finally. Used my code on Devil Summoner 2 preorder. Took off NYS tax, then some.

With this code negating tax, I might finally jump for prime and end up buying tons of stuff from amazon. Then again, that might not be the best idea for my wallet's well being.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Question-it's occured to me that it's really inefficient for Amazon to have to ship a bunch of separate orders to me because I can't use multiple codes on the same order for multiple games...

So is it possible to place a few separate orders, each with a different code, and then try to combine them, and still get the discount? I'm just thinking that would be cheaper for Amazon to ship that way (and possibly better for the environment than to have UPS try and deliver 5 different $7 games or whatever!)

That would be awesome but it dosen't work (at least not for points codes).[/quote]I haven't done this specifically at this point with the ECA codes, but I've done similar things with discounted (via code) items on Amazon in the past with no problem. Just keep in mind that you'll need to place your orders (and then try to combine them) rapid-fire since orders can end up in an uncombinable state extremely quickly, especially if you're a Prime member. :p

[quote name='Googer']I haven't done this specifically at this point with the ECA codes, but I've done similar things with discounted (via code) items on Amazon in the past with no problem. Just keep in mind that you'll need to place your orders (and then try to combine them) rapid-fire since orders can end up in an uncombinable state extremely quickly, especially if you're a Prime member. :p[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks! If it works for other codes, I'd think it would work for these too.

I guess I'll have to have them all lined up to try to do it fast-I know what you mean about stuff getting ready to ship fast a lot of times!

[quote name='SteveMcQ']So when you fill out the initial info, I should use my e-mail tied to my Amazon account and not my university e-mail? Just making sure since I thought I read it doesn't really check for a .edu address.[/quote]

am curious about this as well because I'd like to get the student price but it would also be nice to have this tied to my Amazon account automatically

that and I don't want to change my Amazon email to my college email

[quote name='buckythekat']am curious about this as well because I'd like to get the student price but it would also be nice to have this tied to my Amazon account automatically

that and I don't want to change my Amazon email to my college email[/quote]
I'm using 2 different email accounts for ECA and AMZN without any problems. However, neither one is a educational account.

[quote name='buckythekat']am curious about this as well because I'd like to get the student price but it would also be nice to have this tied to my Amazon account automatically

that and I don't want to change my Amazon email to my college email[/QUOTE]
The Amazon coupons aren't tied to your amazon account at all so it doesn't matter if you use different emails. Just sign up on the ECA membership site using your .edu address to get the student discount.

Please feel free to flame me if you need to, but I'm still confused with this offer.

So will I be able to order as many games as I like for 10% off? I just need to generate a new code with them for each purchase? And soon there will be a single code I use for all purchases for 10% off. Am I right?

really? they aren't tied to an account?
that sounds like the potential abuse there, in that 1 eca membership can yield codes to be shared with others or sold

[quote name='GeorgeCostanza']Please feel free to flame me if you need to, but I'm still confused with this offer.

So will I be able to order as many games as I like for 10% off? I just need to generate a new code with them for each purchase? And soon there will be a single code I use for all purchases for 10% off. Am I right?[/quote]

yes, you are correct. i order several games yesterday and everything was fine.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Cool, thanks! If it works for other codes, I'd think it would work for these too.

I guess I'll have to have them all lined up to try to do it fast-I know what you mean about stuff getting ready to ship fast a lot of times![/QUOTE]

Yesterday, I placed orders for three games (with Prime and the ECA discount) all within about 45 seconds total. Another 20 seconds later, I had clicked everything to combine the orders, only to be told "these orders cannot be combined" with no explanation. I kept trying with combinations of two of the three orders, with no luck, and two minutes later, one of the orders entered "shipping soon" status.

All three orders shipped separately, two-day air, and I was kind of annoyed. Didn't Amazon used to auto-combine their Prime orders? I considered e-mailing Amazon, but I decided I would rather not draw any attention to myself or to the promotion.

[quote name='vherub']really? they aren't tied to an account?
that sounds like the potential abuse there, in that 1 eca membership can yield codes to be shared with others or sold[/QUOTE]
Pretty much. Thankfully, most people are still supporting the ECA. I did give my wife a couple codes in case she felt like buying me something. :lol:

So I can give out codes to anyone I want? Kiss this deal goodbye...won't last unless they prevent this abuse. Shoot...I might as well starting selling codes on ebay for 50 cents each and make a shitton of money...

Of course I won't though.

I hope they link the code to the account so that it is not abused. At the very least, it is just a lot more convenient. This is a great deal on top of the normal amazon discounts/shipping/tax

All told, I have saved $21.9 so far with orders/pre-orders.

[quote name='kevzik']So I can give out codes to anyone I want? Kiss this deal goodbye...won't last unless they prevent this abuse. Shoot...I might as well starting selling codes on ebay for 50 cents each and make a shitton of money...

Of course I won't though.[/quote]I think Amazon understands that and probably has some motivation to get the unique multi-use coupons up and running ASAP.

[quote name='cage']Yesterday, I placed orders for three games (with Prime and the ECA discount) all within about 45 seconds total. Another 20 seconds later, I had clicked everything to combine the orders, only to be told "these orders cannot be combined" with no explanation. I kept trying with combinations of two of the three orders, with no luck, and two minutes later, one of the orders entered "shipping soon" status.

All three orders shipped separately, two-day air, and I was kind of annoyed. Didn't Amazon used to auto-combine their Prime orders? I considered e-mailing Amazon, but I decided I would rather not draw any attention to myself or to the promotion.[/QUOTE]

Dang, yeah.

The real solution would just be to allow you to enter multiple codes on one order, or have one code work on a full order, or whatever :whistle2:/ Such a waste to second day tons of little packages to me.

It always blows my mind when I consider that it's usually cheaper for me to have something like those points 2-day shipped to me, than it is for the same thing to be just purchased electronically from Microsoft :D

[quote name='wasabi5858']I hope they link the code to the account so that it is not abused. At the very least, it is just a lot more convenient. [/quote]

Get serious, amazon could give a rats arse if you or anybody abuses these codes. Each abuse in a code equates to a sale.

This "abuse" you say is the best marketing ploy there is, they don't have to pay a penny for advertising.

TRUST me, amazon will gladly give you the 10%, they are still selling the game for 90% and games cost them nothing to print on a disc anyways.

Its like that entire microsoft live cashback hoopla, where people where "abusing" the cashback, but in actualllity it was a HUGE success to microsfot in promoting live.com.

And to the guy who mentioned that he minght start selling teh codes on ebay..... don't worry about that buddy i am sure there are MANY people already sellling them aleady.

true, I am not under the illusion that this somehow hard amazon. however, I think one thing people want is control...

with live search, they dictate the time, the percentage?, and the retailers it applied to. Having codes with a deal worked out with another entity flying around, I am not sure any corporation will like it, even if it is, as you said, free publicity and a sale whenever one passes hands. Play-asia has on their coupon to have you pass it around if you are not going to use it.

I would be surprised that ECA is the first and only entity Amazon has a deal worked out for a discount... yet we do not see 10% code flying around as easily as this could possibly be if this is how they intended... or maybe I am not just looking.

Anyway, while I did sound kind of dumb with the abuse characterization, I however really just don't care. I simply want mine to work and that this to be offered next years and beyond.

The abuse also harms the ECA. There could just be a single member churning out codes for everyone.
I don't have access to Amazon's accounting books. Maybe this generates more profit for them, but it's a different business model than what MS wants to achieve with Live Search.
If people cancel pre-orders and reorder with the discount- that certainly isn't a HUGE win for amazon.

[quote name='guywhotrades']...and games cost them nothing to print on a disc anyways.[/quote]
Do you think the games create and market themselves? There is much more to getting a game in your hot little hands than the physical production - that is the easy cheap part. Most of the expensive stuff occurs prior to production.

Well, I went ahead and signed up incase they change the rules for new users or something. With the amazing batch of summer games (Bionic commando, Infamous, Prototype, Ghost Busters, Batman, etc) It'll pay for itself instantly.

I ended up just signing up with my normal Amazon email address instead of my .edu just to be safe in case they decide to tie the 2 emails together. Figured it's only $5 for peace of mind. ;) I buy more than enough games from Amazon to pay for this many, many times over.

Anyone selling a code is a dumbass. The ECA knows who gets what codes (forget email, look at billing) and that can easily be cross checked by Amazon or the ECA to get people selling these or giving them away.

It's $15 frickin dollars and it supports a good cause. Just pony it up if you buy $150 or more of games a year.

that and I don't want to change my Amazon email to my college email[/quote]I ended up filling out the initial form using my regular e-mail. So of course, that doesn't automatically give you the student discount, so I switched my e-mail in the profile to my university e-mail. That gave me the discount and once I had signed up, I switched the e-mail to my Amazon-tied account. Seems to work fine for me (only used the code once so far). Hopefully my changing my e-mails doesn't mess things up in the future. Thought you'd like to know.

[quote name='prateeko']
It's $15 frickin dollars and it supports a good cause. Just pony it up if you buy $150 or more of games a year.[/quote]

But it's $20 for non students! Still debating if I should do this. Tempted to pickup Beatles Rock Band bundle which would more then cover my cost.

Please forgive me, because I've skimmed through the thread but not read every message.

If I join now, for $20, I can now get 10% off of every Amazon game purchase- pre-order or no (no consoles, just games) for 1 full year?

There was a lot of confusion in the beginning, so I want to make sure before I join. Amazon is my main supplier now, and just want to make sure I can save 10% on ALL games (normal and pre-order) for 1 year before I actually sign up.

thanks

[quote name='Haggar']Please forgive me, because I've skimmed through the thread but not read every message.

If I join now, for $20, I can now get 10% off of every Amazon game purchase- pre-order or no (no consoles, just games) for 1 full year?

There was a lot of confusion in the beginning, so I want to make sure before I join. Amazon is my main supplier now, and just want to make sure I can save 10% on ALL games (normal and pre-order) for 1 year before I actually sign up.

thanks[/quote]

yes, 15$ if you have a .edu email addy.

[quote name='Haggar']Please forgive me, because I've skimmed through the thread but not read every message.

thanks[/quote]

Yes, that's our understanding. Seems like the agreement with amazon is not an issue, but how they will handle it when their batch of codes are used up is unknown and they will reassess when the time comes. Probably not much to worry over, but I am ready for some bump when that time comes.

but so far, I've managed to apply the codes and saved myself over $21 with orders and pre-orders so it is easy to get your money's worth if you are concern with that aspect.

This is where we've left off, as far as I know.

quote:

"Once we've used the current allotment of coupon codes, we'll re-assess and likely request one unique multi-use code per member, which would remain in your respective profiles. So... the faster we use up the current batch, the faster we're likely to have an end-solution (tell your friends!)."

"Once we blow through that entire batch of original codes, we'll request a new batch that we believe will be single multi-use codes, assigned to each member, individually. The faster we use the original batch, the faster we can request the second batch. It's pretty straight-forward.
"

http://forums.theeca.com/showthread.php?t=5725&page=3

I did it. I have prime so it'll be even better. Now, just waiting for some decent DotD's and some crazy Amazon sale.
In fact, if this keeps up I am VERY much looking forward to Black Friday this year...:drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back