$100 trade-in credit for PS3, XboxS, and XboxE @ Microsoft Store

tortamus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)

Get $100 of store credit when you trade in select gaming consoles
Trade up and get your hands on the new Xbox One

Welcome to a new generation of games and entertainment. Where games push the boundaries of realism. And television obeys your every command. Where listening to music while playing a game is a snap. And you can jump from TV to movies to music to a game in an instant. Where your experience is custom tailored to you. And the entertainment you love is all in one place. Welcome to the all-in-one, Xbox One.

• For a limited time, bring in your PS3, Xbox 360 S or Xbox 360 E and receive $100 of Microsoft retail store credit.
  • Terms and conditions apply.
  • See store associate for more detail.
Valid January 23, 2014 until March 2, 2014, or while supplies last. Available in select Microsoft retail stores in US (including Puerto Rico) and Canada; not valid online. To be eligible for trade in, product must power on and be in fully functional, working condition without broken/missing components, cracked display/housing or liquid damage, cannot be password protected, and include original chargers/accessories. To receive maximum trade in value, you must purchase an Xbox One at the same time. Any appraised value will be determined at trade in and provided as store credit, subject to Microsoft’s discretion and approval. All trade ins are final. Not valid on prior orders or purchases; cannot be transferred or otherwise redeemed for cash or gift cards. Combinable with select Xbox One and Xbox Live offers. Discount does not include taxes, shipping or other fees. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. Microsoft reserves the right to modify or discontinue offers at any time. Limit 1 per trade in/purchase.

Wish I lived remotely close to a MS store. My 360 has been unplugged for months. Looking for a place to trade it in for months.

The email I got for this promo is pretty funny/desperate-sounding:

jrfllc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
this is ripoff sony ps3s they r so depserate to sell xb1 its pathetic sony did not once complain or do dire sale tatics when ps3 was out now xbone is losing to ps4 lol they r on the crap end of card tis next new gen they r whining like babys morons this is why i will never support microsfot console as long i live

this is ripoff sony ps3s they r so depserate to sell xb1 its pathetic sony did not once complain or do dire sale tatics when ps3 was out now xbone is losing to ps4 lol they r on the crap end of card tis next new gen they r whining like babys morons this is why i will never support microsfot console as long i live
Lol what?

Pretty cool deal. wish I had a use for it though :(

I too wonder what they will do with them... probably what they did with the iPads that they allowed for trade in

Sometimes I'm reminded that I'm really old and am a business professional, whereas a lot of the commenters are probably quite a bit younger, students in HS, maybe college, maybe even fresh out of HS, but you guys do get why this is clever, right?

They don't care about the traded in device. It will probably go to a landfill, or to some third world country along with last year's 49ers Super Bowl Champion T Shirts. They want you tied to their store, their products, and their system. $100 in credit isn't the same as $100 currency. On lots of devices the cost of goods sold is waay less than what they sell for, so you might be spending $100 credit on something that cost them $20 to make.

On top of that, it's a snarky way of saying now that the next gen has arrived, scrap those old PS3s that nobody wants and switch over to MS. Heck, people who just bought a PS4 might want to do that.

They're creating a buzz, trying to make last gen look obsolete through the messaging, and now have a thread on CAG where we're all talking about it.

You'd be lucky to get $100 off of craigslist or ebay for a used 360 or PS3.

"It's not personal Sonny. It's strictly business."

Yeah guys... it's not like any other business out there encourages you to ditch an old competitor product for one of their own (cough *car dealers* cough). 

Yeah! Remember that E3 video where Major Nelson and Bill Gates did a video on how to borrow used games on X1? I think it was those two guys at least...

those bastards, okay im going back to play forza 5 lol

pretty sure they r building new xbox with ps3 support

Or keep your PS3 and buy a PS4 for the same price.  Actually you'd be saving ~$7.50 due to tax.  I'm sorry but the free PS+ games for February are awesome.

Sometimes I'm reminded that I'm really old and am a business professional, whereas a lot of the commenters are probably quite a bit younger, students in HS, maybe college, maybe even fresh out of HS, but you guys do get why this is clever, right?

<snip>

They're creating a buzz, trying to make last gen look obsolete through the messaging, and now have a thread on CAG where we're all talking about it.
Microsoft's PR and marketing departments haven't really been clever in years (although I did like that "Come On" commercial - it's no "Perfect Day," though). And this offer isn't exactly setting the net aflame with positive thoughts from my brief survey of the deals and gaming sites. Quite the opposite reaction. But I guess any publicity is good publicity, right?

Good Godfather quote, though.

It's actually not a bad promo but I don't really want microsoft store credit.  I hope they do a deal behind the scenes with best buy for $100.

A recent model 360 to xbone is not a ggod leap considering the poor xbone library at the moment.  They need to do a 100 credit for any 360 promo if they want people to upgrade. 

reads like slidecage. is not slidecage. my brain hurts.

It's actually not a bad promo but I don't really want microsoft store credit. I hope they do a deal behind the scenes with best buy for $100.
Yeah, I jumped on the Best Buy $100 trade in promo a while back. There is an old PS3 just sitting at my sister's place, if it had all the necessary bits (doesn't have a controller or AV cables) I'd probably take it in. Wouldn't put it towards an X1 (already have it) but could always use a couple more games, or some Xbox bucks or whatever.

Why would anybody wanna downgrade? lol MS just seems real desperate to me nowadays and that scares me. I dont want them buying up any more third party games.

Microsoft's PR and marketing departments haven't really been clever in years (although I did like that "Come On" commercial - it's no "Perfect Day," though). And this offer isn't exactly setting the net aflame with positive thoughts from my brief survey of the deals and gaming sites. Quite the opposite reaction. But I guess any publicity is good publicity, right?

Good Godfather quote, though.
Hmm, I wouldn't say people are railing against the deal, a few here in this thread have said they thought it was a good deal. I don't sell back consoles, so I really don't know what the exact going rate is for a used one, but my uneducated opinion is that if someone offered me $100 store credit for one of my old 360's, I'd probably take it.

But again, it's about getting a competitor's hardware out of living rooms (or MS' own outdated hardware), with an incentive to replace it with your device. That's what they're after. If nobody does it and they think the deal sucks, they at least look solid for offering it. Then to get to do it in store credit vs. actual cash, sweetens the deal for MS. It makes sense from a business perspective, it doesn't do any harm from a PR standpoint-at worst, at best, a few people think it's intriguing, and as you noted, we're talking about it.

This isn't "RAWR! My Xbone won't play used games!!! (which was of course dishonest trolling at the time)". I would argue that's bad press. This doesn't really have a way to turn bad for MS. I guess unless the consoles start showing up in Amazonian rainforests and Chinese rivers.

Hmm, I wouldn't say people are railing against the deal, a few here in this thread have said they thought it was a good deal. I don't sell back consoles, so I really don't know what the exact going rate is for a used one, but my uneducated opinion is that if someone offered me $100 store credit for one of my old 360's, I'd probably take it.

But again, it's about getting a competitor's hardware out of living rooms (or MS' own outdated hardware), with an incentive to replace it with your device. That's what they're after. If nobody does it and they think the deal sucks, they at least look solid for offering it. Then to get to do it in store credit vs. actual cash, sweetens the deal for MS. It makes sense from a business perspective, it doesn't do any harm from a PR standpoint-at worst, at best, a few people think it's intriguing, and as you noted, we're talking about it.

This isn't "RAWR! My Xbone won't play used games!!! (which was of course dishonest trolling at the time)". I would argue that's bad press. This doesn't really have a way to turn bad for MS. I guess unless the consoles start showing up in Amazonian rainforests and Chinese rivers.
You understand you're not getting an unrestricted $100 credit to the MS store right?

To receive maximum trade in value, you must purchase an Xbox One at the same time.

I don't understand how you see this as anything but a desperate attempt for attention. Console will most likely start seeing sales soon (it's already been $479.99 w/ no tax and no s/h) which will devalue your trade-in

"To receive maximum trade in value, you must purchase an Xbox One at the same time." Wonder how much less they offer if you don`t get the XB1. That`s the real question.

The $100 BB was better since their credit can be moved around to any retailer & it`s the full value. Things are gonna get real interesting if the PS3/X360 Feb. price cuts rumor are correct. Would much rather upgrade my PS3 for $100 & have a PS3(w/backlog) & a PS4 w/PS+.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/326247-ps3-price-cut-coming-in-feb/

Please support education. ;)

You understand you're not getting an unrestricted $100 credit to the MS store right?

To receive maximum trade in value, you must purchase an Xbox One at the same time.

I don't understand how you see this as anything but a desperate attempt for attention. Console will most likely start seeing sales soon (it's already been $479.99 w/ no tax and no s/h) which will devalue your trade-in
Nope, based on thread title I didn't know that. It actually hurts MS more. We know they're selling at a loss or damn near one, so now they're extending that loss by tying it to their loss leader.

If you have a PS3 or 360 collecting dust, and you can get $100 off the price of an Xbone, then clearly there is value for that consumer. I bought mine for $479 from Costco, but with 3 360's in the house, I very seriously would've bit on this promo.

I have a 360 Elite with a non-functional CD drive.  Do you think I should bother bringing it in?  I don't want to scumbag and tell them it's working when they go and test it.

Nope, based on thread title I didn't know that. It actually hurts MS more. We know they're selling at a loss or damn near one, so now they're extending that loss by tying it to their loss leader.

If you have a PS3 or 360 collecting dust, and you can get $100 off the price of an Xbone, then clearly there is value for that consumer. I bought mine for $479 from Costco, but with 3 360's in the house, I very seriously would've bit on this promo.
Demand is so high for the PS4 they don`t need to offer $100 credit which is generally a credit deal you`ll only see during the holiday`s on systems. It`s smart in a way for MS b/c their current game attach rate good & over the long haul games can overcome the loss but for the short term it`s gonna hurt.

You won`t see Sony offering this type of promo anytime soon though. If PS+ gets better/bigger & PSNow works as promised this gen will be a dogfight later but Sony will continue strongly outta the gate. Both consoles will push each other to be better which is great.

Demand is so high for the PS4 they don`t need to offer $100 credit which is generally a credit deal you`ll only see during the holiday`s on systems. It`s smart in a way for MS b/c their current game attach rate good & over the long haul games can overcome the loss but for the short term it`s gonna hurt.

You won`t see Sony offering this type of promo anytime soon though. If PS+ gets better/bigger & PSNow works as promised this gen will be a dogfight later but Sony will continue strongly outta the gate. Both consoles will push each other to be better which is great.
Maybe you will. Perhaps they'll feel pressure to match something like this. It definitely brings up a variable for them to consider.

I personally think the PS4 will crush the One this gen, but so many decisions since announcement and launch has been reactionary, who knows what else is in store?

Exactly. Wait, what?

I think this is a decent deal for someone already in the market for a One, especially if they have an old unused console lying around. I have a PS3 super-slim that I use as my primary Sony device, and another crusty old phat I could use to trade in (after all, it doesn't specify the applicable models of PS3s). However, despite primarily being an Xbox user I have almost zero interest in the One until the inevitable redesign and price drop (also, uh, some games worth dropping the cash for...).

I'm absolutely shocked to say this, but if someone told me I could only have one of the next-gen consoles, I would go for the WiiU without question. Maybe I'll be more enthusiastic for the two next-gen powerhouses after some defining software is released.

Ironic you used the words pathetic and moron within this grammatical disaster.

Maybe you will. Perhaps they'll feel pressure to match something like this. It definitely brings up a variable for them to consider.

I personally think the PS4 will crush the One this gen, but so many decisions since announcement and launch has been reactionary, who knows what else is in store?
On one hand it would be foolish for Sony to copy this deal they already can`t handle PS4 demand w/o any promo needed. But if they did it & just took PS3`s in that could be quite profitable. People would hop all over a Sony factory refurb PS3 w/1 yr PS+ & TLOU for $130-$150. They`d get a PS4 sale along with profit on the console trade resale. If the person getting the PS3 becomes a Sony fan they may re-up PS+ & maybe add PSNow. After a while they too may buy a PS4.

On one hand it would be foolish for Sony to copy this deal they already can`t handle PS4 demand w/o any promo needed. But if they did it & just took PS3`s in that could be quite profitable. People would hop all over a Sony factory refurb PS3 w/1 yr PS+ & TLOU for $130-$150. They`d get a PS4 sale along with profit on the console trade resale. If the person getting the PS3 becomes a Sony fan they may re-up PS+ & maybe add PSNow. After a while they too may buy a PS4.
I do think the supply issue has been...ehem...exaggerated. I always hate it when one guy says at one store they have tons of X, so obviously everyone has them, but of my friends and co-workers who wanted to buy a PS4, I don't think any of them waited more than a week to finally track one down.

The narrative has been that PS4s are flying off the shelves and Sony can't make them fast enough, but the reality seems to be that MS and Sony learned their lesson from last gen, and ramped up production significantly. I remember trying to score my first 360 at launch. Took 5 months before I could finally find one.

Sony is stocking a lot better than before but you couldn't just walk into a store whenever you wanted to get one like with xbox one. Only recently have I started to see ps4 out in the wild

bread's done
Back