1st CAG SSBB Season - Week 14: Championship & 3rd Place Matches + Smash Bowls MIA?

[quote name='evergoo']Damn you JFD! I was wondering if anyone would go 0-8 this season.

Now, my only hope lies in yukine. Lol.

Edit: Wth is up with your sig, Moxio? Did you do something bad?[/quote]
:lol:
I was terrible in those matches.
We did a first match, but little did we both know it was timed.
I won that one, and then lost the stocked one. I forgot how, but I bet it was stupid.
Also, the diddy one was stupid.
:bomb:

[quote name='evergoo']Damn you JFD! I was wondering if anyone would go 0-8 this season.

Now, my only hope lies in yukine. Lol.

Edit: Wth is up with your sig, Moxio? Did you do something bad?[/quote]

That hurts. :cry:

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']You're goin' down, Yukine. :twisted:[/QUOTE]

Hey, maybe JFD will screw up again and give you your first win.

Then we can pass the name to JFD and call him SANDBAG.

Come on yukine! Pull off the upset! :bouncy:

Last edited by a moderator:
After a 3-day extension, the following players have used up their bye and forfeited their match with a LOSS:

TimPV3
zerowing
FallMoon

Please do your part and abide by the rules like the other 27 of us.

It's time for the Week 4 polls! Poll participation is the highest yet, with 14 tourney players sending in their ballots! Thanks to Arikado, BlueLobstah, Daisydog, eliter1, evergoo, Foo228, Gothic Walrus, hero101, Mad D, maigoyume, Rig, suko_32, The Chop Suey and zitanix for sending them in.

Week 4 CAG Poll & Rankings

Player (1st Place Votes) / Record / Previous Ranking

1. Arikado (3) (4-0) 1
2. JoeB1223 (2) (3-0) 2
3. Fallmoon (8) (1-1) 3
4. maigoyume (1) (4-0) 4
5. suko_32 (4-0) 5
6. zitanix (3-0) 6
7. evergoo (3-1) 7
8. Mad D (1-3) 8
9. BlueLobstah (2-2) 12
10. Daisydog (2-2) 9
11. zerowing (tie) (2-1) 10
11. The Chop Suey (tie) (3-1) 11
13. dallow (3-1) 13
14. dyeknom (2-2) 15
15. Ingwe (3-1) NR

Others receiving votes:
Rig, eliter1, hero101, AmigoOne, JohnnyFoxDarko, Foo228, Gothic Walrus.

Dropped from rankings:
Rig 15

There's actually not a lot to talk about in this week's polls. The top 8 is unchanged from last week. Probably the most amazing ranking is Mad D. Not only does he have the highest ranked losing schedule at #8, nothing has seemed to affect him since he has been ranked #8 in every single poll, including the pre-season. The most significant changes are BlueLobstah leapfrogging 3 spots to #9, Ingwe returning the top 15 again, and Rig dropping out from the bottom. dallow remains steady even with 1 loss, and Fallmoon, while having the most first place votes still remains in 3rd place. Some exciting games are coming up this next week, so I will be interested to see if those games will affect the polls more so than this past week's games.

Schedule Strength Preview

This is the last week that strength of schedule will not take affect, and I will be introducing that into next week's poll. This week, I will offer a preview of the top and worst 5 schedules so far, which may or move a player up or down depending on how strong or weak their schedule is.

Top 5 (Toughest Schedules)

1. foltzie
2. hero101
3. AmigoOne
4. JoeB1223
5. dallow

Bottom 5 (Weakest Schedules)

1. Fallmoon
2. Rig
3. JohnnyFoxDarko
4. dyeknom
5. TimPV3

The higher a player is ranked, the less they will be affected by their schedule strength, while a lower ranked player stands to gain more from a tougher schedule. Unfortunately for Rig and dyeknom their weak schedules will not help them very much in the polls. dallow and hero101 may potentially see a boost next week in their rankings due to their difficult schedules.

See you again next week for more exciting polls and results!

[quote name='evergoo']After a 3-day extension, the following players have used up their bye and forfeited their match with a LOSS:

TimPV3
zerowing
FallMoon

Please do your part and abide by the rules like the other 27 of us.[/quote]

And just so you guys know, this is how your forfeit will look in the Smash Records (the same goes for their opponents).

Stats Affected

Wins
Losses
Win %
Games Behind
Division Win % (if applicable)

Stats Not Affected
Streak
Round Wins
Round Losses
Round Win %
Kills Scored
Kills Against
Home Win %
Away Win %
Kill Differential

I'm amazed that Mad D is still ranked as high as he is, honestly - a 1-3 record isn't exactly indicative of a season that's going well, and his schedule isn't exactly the toughest out there. I think that most of that ranking is based on past performance. If that's all it took, my Michigan Wolverines would be ranked in college football right now. ;)

Also, I may be in a minority but I'd say that FallMoon and zerowing not showing up for their matches warrants a drop in the rankings next week.

I'm not sure what people are basing their rankings off of, but I just put them together. Mad D does have a tougher schedule, but it doesn't come close to other lower ranked players like dallow or foltzie. This is part of the reason why strength of schedule should help next week. Mad D received a vote as high as 6, and as low as 12. Fallmoon's lowest vote was 7, but a majority were still 1st place votes. People can vote however they want, but hopefully those votes should reflect how players are playing throughout the season.

Honestly, I think dallow, The Chop Suey, and Ingwe are all under ranked. All three are on the tougher end of schedules and have only suffered one loss; all to high ranked players. The top 7 or so players are pretty solid, given a few exceptions, but I do expect to see some shifting next week.

People are going based on past experiences.

We have all played Mad D quite a bit and know he is quite good so the rankings reflect that.

I don't take win-loss into it for the most part :)lol:), I rank based on who I have played and how good I feel they are regardless.

Mad D has played some high ranked opponents so perhaps that's why his rank isn't fluctuating. Also, the week he lost to zerowing, others around his rank had lost as well. It's still funny/awesome about his rank though. Also, no I do not have him at #8 on my list, but it's very close.

Edit: suko_32 vs. yukine...at 8 EST. Can't wait!

[quote name='BlueLobstah']

Others receiving votes:
Rig, eliter1, hero101, AmigoOne, JohnnyFoxDarko, Foo228, Gothic Walrus.

[/quote]

not one?
damn
I must be hated lol
>_<
:bomb:

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Honestly, it's possible the only vote I got was the one I gave myself. :lol:[/quote]

Same here.
generic evil laugh
muahahahahaha

[quote name='suko_32'] It's still funny/awesome about his rank though. Also, no I do not have him at #8 on my list, but it's very close.

[/QUOTE]It better be funny/awesome :bomb: ... very close? So that means 9th :mrgreen:

If I lose this week Chop Suey can have that cursed 8 spot and my Joe's Mad Goo membership :lol:.

I agree with Gothic Walrus' earlier statement regarding those who forfeited. If you cannot even play your match, regardless of skill level, you cannot expect to win. Therefore, your current ranking is at risk since you have no more byes.

Re: Smash Polls,
I vote based on who can kick my ass, not on previous tourney results. Out of the Top 7, Arikado and suko_32 are the most mysterious to me since I haven't played 1-on-1 against them in a long time. I also think I have gotten a lot better and smarter recently. So I might feel confident enough to vote myself ahead of some of the other 6 for once, even though I'm the only one who has truly lost a match.

As for the rest of the Top 15, I think frequency of play somewhat affects your rankings. For example, people like Ingwe and The Chop Suey are under-rated b/c they don't play friendlies enough so it's hard for others to judge them. Whereas those who play often get their name out on the boards.

P.S. Even though he's on my team, Mad D rarely gets Top 10 within my Smash Polls. I need to see victories if you're in the Top 10, regardless of schedule difficulty.

@ Final Destination, suko_32 (R.O.B.) d. yukine (Ike), 3
@ Smashville, suko_32 (Marth) d. yukine (Snake), 3

Ugh, so overmatched. :cry:

My only hope is JFD now. Actually... I take that back, maybe Tim will get an automatic loss for missing his match. :lol:

Verizon is taking their time, I saw them out there fixing something the past 2 days but I still don't have internet, I hope you all understand this is not my fault as I would have done my matches right away in reference to this "Please do your part and abide by the rules like the other 27 of us." I would have gotten my matches done but its beyond my control and I am not willingly trying to lose or break the rules.

[quote name='zerowing']Verizon is taking their time, I saw them out there fixing something the past 2 days but I still don't have internet, I hope you all understand this is not my fault as I would have done my matches right away in reference to this "Please do your part and abide by the rules like the other 27 of us." I would have gotten my matches done but its beyond my control and I am not willingly trying to lose or break the rules.[/QUOTE]

It's cool man, I understand. Let me know when we can play our match, no rush.

[quote name='zerowing']Verizon is taking their time, I saw them out there fixing something the past 2 days but I still don't have internet, I hope you all understand this is not my fault as I would have done my matches right away in reference to this "Please do your part and abide by the rules like the other 27 of us." I would have gotten my matches done but its beyond my control and I am not willingly trying to lose or break the rules.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, I also understand it's not your fault and you didn't do this on purpose or anything.

I understand, and I don't even play you. :lol:

Given that this is beyond your control, I'm not sure if an automatic loss is the right way to handle this - you don't have any control over Verizon, after all. The rules are there for a reason, but I'd say this would warrant an exception...

One question, though: if you don't have internet at home, how'd you manage to make that post? :whistle2:s

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I understand, and I don't even play you. :lol:

Given that this is beyond your control, I'm not sure if an automatic loss is the right way to handle this - you don't have any control over Verizon, after all. The rules are there for a reason, but I'd say this would warrant an exception...

One question, though: if you don't have internet at home, how'd you manage to make that post? :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

He's that guy in Starbucks.

I briefly IM'ed FallMoon tonight. She hadn't been online for a few days. Said she just got a new modem from her ISP, since her other one bit the dust Monday.

She said problems were still happening on her end with her setup. I told her to come in here and explain the situation, but she never replied back.

Honestly,
I don't think she's coming back.

Moonie, explain yourself!

We don't mind giving extensions if there are technical difficulties.

It's just that some of you expect us (the co-hosts) to know what's going on without any updates.

Come Sunday, I will PM those who have not played there games. If you want an extension, please make sure to PM me back so I know what's going on.

Edit: There sure are alotta "marc" tags. Marc Marc Marc Marc Marc Marc Marc. Sounds alot like some of my students.

Evergoo, Foo and I tried having our match but he couldn't make it and now we can't have it till maybe Late Sunday night but Monday is a more realistic option since I will be out of town. I just wanted to give you a heads up in case we might need an extension and if we can have one of course.

Hero, I'm heading out around 6:30 PM CST tonight. Not sure when I will be back, but it will be late. If you can play in the next hour or so, let me know. Otherwise, we can play late tonight, or try and schedule it sometime tomorrow. I should be around in the morning/afternoon tomorrow, but will be gone all evening/night.

Alright, results:

@Smashville, zitanix (Olimar) d. Gothic Walrus (Samus), 2
@Final Destination, zitanix (Ike) d. Gothic Walrus (Wario), 2

Fun games, Walrus! Good luck in the rest of the tournament!

[quote name='zitanix']Alright, results:

@Smashville, zitanix (Olimar) d. Gothic Walrus (Samus), 2
@Final Destination, zitanix (Ike) d. Gothic Walrus (Wario), 2

Fun games, Walrus! Good luck in the rest of the tournament![/QUOTE]

Did I not tell you at the beginning of the week you'd kick my ass? :lol:

Hey z,

If you're still on, would you mind playing our matches now? Unless you desperately want them recorded, I'd rather just get them done! ;)

EDIT: Nevermind - I forgot that we're the bye match and our game doesn't have to be played until much later. Sorry about that!

...Phooey. I am free, but since there isn't any rush, we can wait for Blue. Both Saturday and Sunday nights are good for me!

Eliter1 and Foo228, you have until Tuesday 11:59 PDT. That should give you enough time.

Blue, Ingwe played in some FFAs yesterday so he is alive.

just watch
FallMoon will show for our match next week
and here i was hoping for a 2-4 by default

Dastly75 VS Daisydog:

@ Smashville, Daisydog (Link) d. dastly75 (Toon Link), 2
@ Yoshi's Island, Daisydog (Link) d. dastly75 (Game&Watch), 1
Round 3 didn't count, but Dastly won that one:
@ Final Destination, dastly75 (Game&Watch) d. Daisydog (Lucas), 1
(well I didn't think he'd pick Game&Watch again :lol:)

Good games Dastly :applause:
I was practicing with random CPU opponents set to level 9. I had no idea who you would pick! I think I've seen you play as Jigglypuff the most.

The second round was much closer. But luckily I've seen a lot of Dyeknom's Game&Watch to know his attacks and keep my distance. You got in some good combos to kill my second stock fairly quickly.
I was worried going into this match because you're pretty crafty. But I think my grabbing gave me an advantage. Some of the top CAGs seem to do it excessively, so I feel like I need to add that into my game :lol:.
I've been practicing, and it actually helped me rack up damage really fast.

Good games and thanks for the extras afterwards. Good luck with the rest of your matches. :D

Hey the first league game in awhile that I actually enjoyed Daisy, thanks. While I didn't win, I'm glad I didn't get slaughtered like in the past few.
[quote name='"Daisydog"']I had no idea who you would pick! I think I've seen you play as Jigglypuff the most.[/QUOTE]
I should have picked Jigglypuff in that first match...even if I'm not good with her...I do try to be crafty...
Again thanks for the games Daisy.

Is Rig online for our game?

Does the D in Mad D mean Dog?
Edit: It must be David...Dog sounds kooler.

[quote name='dastly75']Hey the first league game in awhile that I actually enjoyed Daisy, thanks. While I didn't win, I'm glad I didn't get slaughtered like in the past few.[/QUOTE]

No kidding. :lol:

I'm thinking that, if we do this again, we might want to consider doing divisions based on how the rankings from this time around fall out in the end, kind of like they do in British soccer where leagues are determined by skill and teams can move up or down based on their performance.

Despite the faults, I miss team doubles. Team Doubles League would have been awesome. At least then I could lose with someone else :D

dallow and I tried to have our game, but it just didn't happen.

That said, I'm going to be really busy tomorrow, so if I don't get online, please give dallow the win. :)

[quote name='The Chop Suey']mad d has not pmed me lol and tomorrow is season opener for football lets goooo mad[/QUOTE]

Aw man, the hour I didn't periodically check the site or online, I missed you. My fault, I was working on something.

I actually was waiting for your PM, Chop :whistle2:x Don't know which game you're going to be watching but we could probably play at the half? or maybe the end.

[quote name='dastly75']Despite the faults, I miss team doubles. Team Doubles League would have been awesome. At least then I could lose with someone else :D[/QUOTE]

Ugh. Imagine that scheduling nightmare, spread out over an entire season. Trying to get four people together at the same time, every week, for eight weeks... :shock:

You're right in that it would be a lot of fun, but given the number of byes and missed matches we've had so far I think it'd be a disaster waiting to happen.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']

You're right in that it would be a lot of fun, but given the number of byes and missed matches we've had so far I think it'd be a disaster waiting to happen.[/quote]

That's true and that's why it won't happen.

Over at goozex they have mvp nights where everyone who shows up on at a certain time online on brawl and in their chat room gets put into a tournament tree and they do a rapid tournament. The same principle could be applied to a doubles style rapid tourny if enough people showed up and paired up.

bread's done
Back