1up officially bought by UGO. Goodbye EGM :(

Thanks for the link. Good first show, it's fun to see all the old 1UP guys together again just talking about games. I am pretty sure if they do have to start charging for downloads of CO-OP I will buy them, as long as they are reasonably priced.

[quote name='bsesb2003']You can add to the magazine list --

Next Generation and Gamefan were terrific video game mags, and they're long gone. But, at that time EGM was very strong, and it hasn't been nowhere near that over the past few years. I mean, the magazine was almost as thin as a comic book.[/QUOTE]

Next Generation still exists - its original name is Edge, it's printed in the UK, and it's very expensive. (You can go 20 pages without seeing an ad.) Gamefan also survives through Play and Hardcore Gamer; I think if you read either, you'll realize that your fondness for Gamefan is little more than nostalgia.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/21/dan-hsu-working-on-new-project-with-ex-egm-1up-staff/

Looks like Shoe's heading up the new venture with Demian Linn as his main partner and they're pretty much at the stage of looking for investors to help fund them right now. On board with them is Michael Donahoe, Greg Ford, Karen Chu, and Crispin Boyer. I'm looking forward to seeing what they've got up their sleeves since I'm guessing that this may be the 1up version of Giant Bomb.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/21/dan-hsu-working-on-new-project-with-ex-egm-1up-staff/

Looks like Shoe's heading up the new venture with Demian Linn as his main partner and they're pretty much at the stage of looking for investors to help fund them right now. On board with them is Michael Donahoe, Greg Ford, Karen Chu, and Crispin Boyer. I'm looking forward to seeing what they've got up their sleeves since I'm guessing that this may be the 1up version of Giant Bomb.[/QUOTE]

Or here , http://sorethumbsblog.com/post/72144010/new-project

This is awesome .

[quote name='bsesb2003']You can add to the magazine list --

Next Generation and Gamefan were terrific video game mags, and they're long gone. But, at that time EGM was very strong, and it hasn't been nowhere near that over the past few years. I mean, the magazine was almost as thin as a comic book.[/quote]

The list was of Ziff-Davis cancelled publications. The point was the ZD obviously has no interest in technology subject matter.

[quote name='Jest']That was a sad show :([/quote]

Tell me about it. The last 5 or 10 minutes in particular were heartbreaking. You can really tell that Garnett isn't happy about continuing.

I give the final 1UP Yours a GamePro Hawaiian Punch Juicy Red. It was an excellent send-off to a great podcast. Keep doing what you do, Garnett. We'll keep listening. :mrgreen:

How'd we listen so fast? It came out four days ago. Hell, I think I listened to half of it during my commute alone.

Dang, time goes by fast.

Anyways finished it. Bah, it was so good. This sucks... so depressing. Can't wait to hear the new "1upYours" it's going to be so bad and heartless haha. Poor Garnett =(

I finally got a chance to listen to the final 1UP Yours and yeah............it was really sad. You could just hear the emotion in their voices as they closed the show down. I think everyone (like me) that listened regularly to the show felt some of that too. The idea of doing a once a year reunion type show is really awesome though.

Not being able to hear from all these awesome people on a regular basis has always been the worst part of people leaving Ziff for me. People like Jeff Green, Shawn Elliott, Mark MacDonald, Luke Smith, and now Shane and Skip. Here's to the end of an era.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://alifewellwasted.com/

The last 1up spin-off podcast, I hope, called A Life Well Wasted, is Robert Ashley's podcast.[/quote]

Haven't listened to it, but just judging from the description it looks like a Ira Glass does the video game industry take, which would be a nice change to the rest of the gaming podcasts that seem to have the same format.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Garnett Lee's new iteration of 1up Yours is called "Listen Up." No, not this Listen Up.[/quote]

If they were going to do that, they should've called it "HEY! LISTEN!"

395030-navi_small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally getting through the latest rebel.fm. I never noticed before how often Nick Sutner and another guy (didn't catch his name) use the word "like". Its ruined the podcast for me, every 10 seconds the word pops up. I enjoy their points of view and think they all have a bright future, maybe its the relaxed setting that has them speaking like valley girls.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']CheapyD gets a mention in the Listen UP discussion of Final Fantasy and tastes in Japan.[/quote]

It was pretty clear they know very little about cheapy from that comment, although the plug was good. Also how can none of them know the prinny game is from Disgaea, they really think it's just a random game with penguins. Especially since some of them have played it. :shame:

[quote name='happy']It was pretty clear they know very little about cheapy from that comment, although the plug was good. Also how can none of them know the prinny game is from Disgaea, they really think it's just a random game with penguins. Especially since some of them have played it. :shame:[/quote]

Without Shane around the knowledge of everything Japanese will most likely drift off considerably.

bread's done
Back