1up officially bought by UGO. Goodbye EGM :(

With Luke on I'll definitely listen. He had some good rants when he was a regular on 1up Yours. Hopefully he'll provide one for the ages with everything that has happened.

When I read that Luke and Shane were going to reunite, the lyrics "reunited and it feels so good" instantly popped into my head. Luke and Shane were Yin and Yang. When Luke left, things became unbalanced.

Awesome that's all I really wanted out of this whole thing, a proper "send-off" show. This show should be completely epic with Luke on. It's also good news that the show will continue on. As long as Garnett hosts it will always be some form of 1UP Yours to me, even with Luke and Shane both gone now.

Alas, farwell EGM.

A tad melancholy, as I just tossed my 2007 EGMs into the recycling bin. The 2008 ones will go in the bin next. Photos may be in order.

[quote name='Richlough']The show is said to clock in at over 3 hours !
According to John Davison's twitter .[/quote]

That sounds about normal.

haha, lots of Shane hate in this thread.

I wasn't sure what the buzz was around him before, since I've only seen like 2 1UP shows and had heard no podcasts. But I started listening to back episodes of Retronauts a couple weeks ago and I gotta say I love the guy. He knows his shit. Actually, they all do on that show.

I'm one of those "just because he leans towards a system doesn't mean I should hate him entirely and bitch about him every chance I get" kinds of guys.

I'm white knighting for Shane :whee:

[quote name='ninja dog']I'm one of those "just because he leans towards a system doesn't mean I should hate him entirely and bitch about him every chance I get" kinds of guys.

I'm white knighting for Shane :whee:[/QUOTE]

Did you change your CAG name ?
Weren't you Apossum ?

[quote name='ninja dog']I'm one of those "just because he leans towards a system doesn't mean I should hate him entirely and bitch about him every chance I get" kinds of guys.

I'm white knighting for Shane :whee:[/QUOTE]

I can't say a bloody thing for the guy, but I'm certain if his zeal for a certain system was not the big black Sony behemoth, the animosity from listeners would be nonexistent, or sympathetic, rather.

And if y'all are holding a guy to task for his journalistic integrity in fucking *podcasts* then boy howdy I hope y'all happily call out every motherfucker ever for their 'fanboyism.'

I can't think of a single soul I've ever heard on a podcast who isn't a flagrant supporter for one console over another. Even the bald and portly, respectively, overlords of the CAGcast.

[quote name='mykevermin']I can't say a bloody thing for the guy, but I'm certain if his zeal for a certain system was not the big black Sony behemoth, the animosity from listeners would be nonexistent, or sympathetic, rather.

And if y'all are holding a guy to task for his journalistic integrity in fucking *podcasts* then boy howdy I hope y'all happily call out every motherfucker ever for their 'fanboyism.'

I can't think of a single soul I've ever heard on a podcast who isn't a flagrant supporter for one console over another. Even the bald and portly, respectively, overlords of the CAGcast.[/QUOTE]

You've got to give him credit , most people on podcasts speak what they honestly feel .
My friend calls him the necessary evil .
There's alot of hate on pdcasts for Sony and PSN for being behind the times .
Not everybody got a free PS3 .

Right. So the same folks who want to repudiate one guy for being a "Sony fanboy" can't see far enough to recognize that, by listening to podcasts, they're fucking swimming with fanboys. It's a shitting audio blog, for cryin' out loud. Y'ever get pissed at reading a blog because you think it's too opinionated and not factual enough?

If so, run your face into a wall at a very high speed. It's a fucking blog, and you should know better.

I just think about it from the vantagepoint of listening to the CAGcast - nobody ever calls out Cheapy or Wombat for their Xbox love. They're entitled to their opinions - it's their show, after all. But it got me thinking: if nobody calls out those two for their 360 worshipping, then this Bettenhausen guy must be performing fellatio on a stuffed pillow with an image of Kaz Hirai on it if he truly deserves the internet animosity he gets.

[quote name='mykevermin']...if nobody calls out those two for their 360 worshipping, then this Bettenhausen guy must be performing fellatio on a stuffed pillow with an image of Kaz Hirai on it if he truly deserves the internet animosity he gets.[/QUOTE]

He wore out his Ken Kutaragi one . :lol:

You must not read the CAGcast threads often if you think nobody calls CheapyD or Wombat out for that. You could probably read any of the threads over the past two months where they mention not liking LBP every show to see some of that.

To clarify at least my earlier post, Shane didn't annoy me with his Sony love. He just got under my skin in general. On top of that largely had completely different interests in games than I do so his opinions weren't relevant for me, so I just never had any use for him. He's just to brash and says shit just to be controversial. Basically just the gaming equivalent of a shock jock.

But I'm going mainly of reading his reviews, I only listened to the podcast once or twice and just couldnt' get into it in general. I don't like podcasts much in general, but I especially couldn't get into any of the video game ones as it's just a group of fanboys/nerds arguing about games for 2 hours. I read more than enough of that crap here so don't need to listen to it on top of that!

But bias doesn't bother me much. I stopped giving a shit what anyone else thinks about games a long ass time ago. His style just always annoyed me.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You must not read the CAGcast threads often if you think nobody calls CheapyD or Wombat out for that. You could probably read any of the threads over the past two months where they mention not liking LBP every show to see some of that.[/QUOTE]

I knew of Wombat's disdain for LBP during the two month period that I neglected to delete the UGO blog from my RSS reader. At least he did get one exceptionally clever blog title out of it. Something akin to "I've got a sack you can have for $5, Sony."

As for the CAGcast threads, I've skimmed them on occasion, but they always seemed to be so full of congratulatory pablum that I stopped reading them. "Another great show, guys!" * 500.

They both hate it pretty much about the same. Shipwreck took the cake in the, I think, first of his recent appearances on the CAGcast where he said it's not a good game, that reviewers would not have given it the same scores if they reviewed it now, and that nobody should like the game. Or something to that effect.

I'm listening to The Geekbox episode 1 basically the successor to GFW/LanParty .
So far so good , I love the old stories that are discuused in these 1up eulogies

I picked up LBP and I think I could like it alot more .
I need a little help to point me in the right direction for some kick-ass user levels .
Please PM me if you can help .

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']They both hate it pretty much about the same. Shipwreck took the cake in the, I think, first of his recent appearances on the CAGcast where he said it's not a good game, that reviewers would not have given it the same scores if they reviewed it now, and that nobody should like the game. Or something to that effect.[/QUOTE]

I'd agree that the game physics were a bit 'floaty' and keep a great game from being excellent. That alone isn't enough to express their disdain for a console. IIRC, Cheapy mentioned only using his PS3 for BD movies because there's nothing to play on it. Now, I don't know what he is or isn't interested in playing, but it's childishly incorrect to be someone who makes a living from gaming and being up on the industry, and saying there's nothing to play on a console.

N-Gage? Undoubtedly.
PSP? That's plausible, but stretching it.
PS3? You're just being a prat. Sure, Haze wasn't much fun (due to how much like Halo it is :cool:), but there are games on it that are great fun. To indicate otherwise shows some severe unprofessionalism.

The old last post on the page getting ignored trick . ;)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I don't see any mention of this, but the first episode of the Geekbox podcast is out. It's Ryan Scott's site and this episode has Greg Ford, Karen Chu, Andrew Fitch, and two others I don't recognize.

http://www.geekbox.net/archives/2009/01/17/the-geekbox-episode-1/[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Richlough']I'm listening to The Geekbox episode 1 basically the successor to GFW/LanParty .
So far so good , I love the old stories that are discuused in these 1up eulogies

I picked up LBP and I think I could like it alot more .
I need a little help to point me in the right direction for some kick-ass user levels .
Please PM me if you can help .[/QUOTE]

Or the old, it wasn't there when I typed it up trick. Plus, I was talking about the link to the podcast itself, not a linkless post. ;)

There's a thread in the PS3 forum with a list of CAG user levels and such.

My dislike of Shane isn't primarily his Sony preference (it's more the intensity of it) but his personality in general. His speaking voice just annoys me (I know, not directly tied to his personality), he talks way too fast, he rarely admits that he's wrong even when blatantly so and he comes across like he thinks the shit.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
They will be changing the name for the new incarnation for the following Friday.[/quote]

Best news I've heard all day. I never liked the name 1up Yours. I mean, I know the 1up forums are full of retarded little 12 year olds who eat up that sort of humor, but...

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The 1up Yours name was about it being for the fans "Your show" not "my goddamn show."[/QUOTE]

I always thought they stole it from the commercial 7up Yours.

What happens to our EGM subs btw? I need something to read when i'm dropping kids in the pool :( .

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']"Mistakes were made." :lol:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8978902&publicUserId=5324853

The last 1up Yours will be out on Friday instead of Tuesday. They will be changing the name for the new incarnation for the following Friday.[/QUOTE]

What I got out of that is that the new show will come out on Friday the reunion is still coming out this Tuesday .

With the new show I want to take everything we've learned in three years of doing this and launch a show that's even better. And yes, I know how high we set the bar, but I think we can do it. But it won't be Yours. That era has passed. It will be the window into today's 1UP, both the editorial team and you. Now I just need a name. Have been considering 1UP Ours as a reflection of both its roots and renewed direction. And yes, it will still be on the same feed.

That show will debut a week from Friday on January 30. This week it's 1UP Yours episode 164, the last 1UP Yours. I hope you enjoy it and the memories, and will be excited about the debut of the new show the following week.

from http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8978902&publicUserId=5324853

[quote name='gokou36']I always thought they stole it from the commercial 7up Yours. [/quote]

I hated that commercial, too.

The new show's next Friday, not this Friday. The whole "a week from Friday" and "This week" parts of the last paragraph and no mention of Tuesday specifically as the day it will be out makes me think it'll be out Friday like it usually is, but we'll see tomorrow if that's the case or not

[quote name='foltzie']So... was there any word on what would become of outstanding subscriptions?[/quote]

Discontinued magazines and websites

I wouldn't hold your breath for anything remotely related to the subject matter.

[quote name='Vegan']Discontinued magazines and websites

I wouldn't hold your breath for anything remotely related to the subject matter.[/QUOTE]

Not holding my breath at all... especially since my EGM subscription has been comped for a few years already.

Oddly enough for the remaining Ziff Davis publications I dont pay for the subscription either (eWeek and CIO Insight). In fact, almost no one pays for anything of the trade papers they have left. How odd... Advertiser dollars must still be good for trade papers.

[quote name='Vegan']Discontinued magazines and websites

I wouldn't hold your breath for anything remotely related to the subject matter.[/quote]
Maybe Game Informer?

That list is very sad. There are some great magazines on it (with Computer Gaming World/Games for Windows magazine easily being the best gaming mag I ever read).

[quote name='mykevermin']I can't say a bloody thing for the guy, but I'm certain if his zeal for a certain system was not the big black Sony behemoth, the animosity from listeners would be nonexistent, or sympathetic, rather.

I can't think of a single soul I've ever heard on a podcast who isn't a flagrant supporter for one console over another. Even the bald and portly, respectively, overlords of the CAGcast.[/QUOTE]

I should mention that I only listen to Retronauts, so the PS3 doesn't really come up, except when they bitch about the lack of PS1 games. He's great on Retronauts.

[quote name='ninja dog']I should mention that I only listen to Retronauts, so the PS3 doesn't really come up, except when they bitch about the lack of PS1 games. He's great on Retronauts.[/quote]

I don't know, he can be pretty elitist on Retronauts, too, in the "look at me, I only played weird obscure Japanese games" kinda way.

[quote name='Vegan']I don't know, he can be pretty elitist on Retronauts, too, in the "look at me, I only played weird obscure Japanese games" kinda way.[/QUOTE]

I love hearing about that stuff. I'm listening to the show because I wanna hear these guys talk about what they know about--the anecdotes and tidbits about the games I knew, as well as the random, obscure knowledge that they can bring to the table.

[quote name='Vegan']I don't know, he can be pretty elitist on Retronauts, too, in the "look at me, I only played weird obscure Japanese games" kinda way.[/QUOTE]

I would think the same thing if it weren't clear that he's played pretty much everything. I mean, yeah, he definitely likes his imports, but I don't think it's to the point of elitism. And honestly, it'd be a lot less interesting if you didn't have people on that show who didn't have enthusiasm for some of the more obscure stuff out there that people haven't heard about.

I think my problem with him (and a lot of game journalists/podcasters) is just feeling elite since they're hardcore gamers that play everything out there. That's easy to do when games are your top hobby and you have tons of time to play them since your job is to play games and write/talk about them.

But I guess that's more a fault with me than them, since podcasts etc. are aimed at the hardcore gamer audience and not more casual gamers like me who take the hobby much less seriously. *shrugs*

They're supposed to be elite, it's their job! What the hell would Led Zeppelin be if Jimmy Page stepped back let the rhythm section do most of the work, what if Obama was like "nah, I wanna hear what Biden has to say today," or if Die Hard wanted to negotiate with terrorists instead shooting them-- boring!

I guess there are different levels of coverage in different kinds of media, but these podcasts are definitely the unedited, "say everything you know" kinds of affairs. I just wonder what people who are intimidated by the guy want from the podcast.

I agree, like I said it's more that such podcasts, blogs etc. aren't for me rather than anything being wrong with them.

I'm better off just glancing at a few reviews, forum threads and game rankings avg. scores for my game opinion need, than spending time on blogs or podcasts (which I haven't done for quite a while).

You can add to the magazine list --

Next Generation and Gamefan were terrific video game mags, and they're long gone. But, at that time EGM was very strong, and it hasn't been nowhere near that over the past few years. I mean, the magazine was almost as thin as a comic book.

bread's done
Back