$20 off Select titles in launch issue of @GAMER magazine (Best Buy) Just Dance Sale

nixmahn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
43 (100%)
Just got the launch issue in the mail b/c I'm a Rewards Zone member.

Includes Best Buy $20 and $15 off coupons for

$20 off
Halo3 ODST:360:
Bioshock 2:360::ps3::pc:
Skate 3:360::ps3:
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11:360::ps3::wii:
2010 Fifa World Tour South Africa:360::ps3::wii:

$15 off
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands:360::ps3:
Just Dance:wii:
AC2 :pc:

good for 6/24-7/31, Best Buy only

prices as of 7/26/10

:360: Halo ODST>>>>>$39.99 (w/coupon-$19.99)
:360::ps3: Bioshock 2>>>>>$39.99 (w/coupon-$19.99)
:pc: Bioshock 2>>>>>$29.99 (w/coupon-$9.99)
:360::ps3: Skate 3>>>>>$59.99 (w/coupon-$39.99)
:360::ps3: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11>>>>>$59.99 (w/coupon-$39.99)
:360::ps3: 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa>>>>>$59.99 (w/coupon-$39.99)
:wii:2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa>>>>>$39.99 (w/coupon-$19.99)

:360::ps3: Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands>>>>>$39.99 (w/coupon-$24.99)
:wii: Just Dance>>>>>$29.99 (w/coupon-$14.99)
:pc: Assassin's Creed 2>>>>>$39.99 (w/coupon-$24.99) ------------------------> GOOGLE DRM issues before buying

CAG's reporting they have not received a free copy. I use my RZ a lot for the deals and preordered Madden 11 a few days ago (they asked for my address and everything). It was my 1st preorder and thought it was standard procedure.

https://www.atgamermagazine.com/?h=488

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Unaki']Im a reward zone member and have been part of the gamer zone since it started. Where is my magazine?[/QUOTE]

In store for $6.

Is Prince of Persia the new Forgotten Sands game or the one from a year or two ago? Because the older Prince of Persia retails for $20, so that would make it $5 after coupon.

Yeah, what gives? I saw this mag at the checkout counter Tuesday night. Sure enough it said $5.99 near the bar code. Trying my luck, I casually said, "what do you have to do to get this magazine?" In my mind, I thought they were there as a sample issue. The cashier looked at me w/ the blankest, duh! stare, "Umm you can buy it.." Well, no thanks! I want to know how to subscribe or get this for really cheap. If it is part of BB RZ Gamer's Club, then like Unaki, where is my damn magazine? is there an 'enrollment' area??

It didn't look like that bad of a magazine, same size as an issue of GameInformer., especially if there are coupons in it!

Details on the mag from my BB meeting last weekend:

$5.99 per issue in store
$19.99 for a year's sub
RZGC members will be receiving 1 free issue on a rotating basis ( I think 200,00 go out per wave so eventually everyone gets a freebie)
Money saving coupons in every issue with the premier issue carrying ~$150.00 in cupes.

That's all I remember. It was early and I was tired :)

[quote name='Unaki']Im a reward zone member and have been part of the gamer zone since it started. Where is my magazine?[/QUOTE]

I love how people complain because they can't get the magazine for free. Let me get this straight. I am a member of the free reward zone gamers club that gives me coupons and certificates for buying games, so the least they can do is give me a free magazine!! :roll:

[quote name='token2k6']Yeah, what gives? I saw this mag at the checkout counter Tuesday night. Sure enough it said $5.99 near the bar code. Trying my luck, I casually said, "what do you have to do to get this magazine?" In my mind, I thought they were there as a sample issue. The cashier looked at me w/ the blankest, duh! stare, "Umm you can buy it.." Well, no thanks! I want to know how to subscribe or get this for really cheap. If it is part of BB RZ Gamer's Club, then like Unaki, where is my damn magazine? is there an 'enrollment' area??

It didn't look like that bad of a magazine, same size as an issue of GameInformer., especially if there are coupons in it![/QUOTE]

I don't know why I got 1 free but, I use my RZ a lot for the deals and preordered Madden 11 a few days ago (they asked for my address and everything). It was my 1st preorder and thought it was standard procedure.

It's possible that the free launch issue is for selected few. Anyhow, if every mag has $15-$20 coupons, $19.99 a year subscription is not a bad option at all. PoP FS is still $59.99 in BB, so the coupon doesn't really make it a hot deal :whistle2:(

[quote name='stikmanrp']I love how people complain because they can't get the magazine for free. Let me get this straight. I am a member of the free reward zone gamers club that gives me coupons and certificates for buying games, so the least they can do is give me a free magazine!! :roll:[/QUOTE]
It wasn't free in the beginning, but corporations don't remember that long ago :lol:

[quote name='stikmanrp']I love how people complain because they can't get the magazine for free. Let me get this straight. I am a member of the free reward zone gamers club that gives me coupons and certificates for buying games, so the least they can do is give me a free magazine!! :roll:[/QUOTE]

well the magazine is clearly printed for self-serving purposes by Best Buy. IIRC correctly, at least GameInformer was it's own magazine before GS got their hands on it. Over the years people thought they gave all games no lower than a 6, b/c if nobody goes to GS to buy the games, then that's bad for business.

I just see this magazine as jumping on the bandwagon. Sure RZ is free, but if this magazine is going to be 80% advertisements and BB propaganda, then it does need to be free. Afterall, they can print up millions of the little flyers for both the DVD & Game section every month, perhaps scale that back a little for the magazine, and give it away for free. I don't think I'd sign up for $20, $10 maybe, but it would be like the 4th video game magazine I get, they need to look at it like that, 'who really needs another game magazine subscription? we should just give this to them, they will see the coupons and come into the store!"

Yeah. It should be free. Especially if other people are coming on here saying they just got a random issue in the mail for being a RZ member. Not going to pay $6 to save money.

[quote name='token2k6']well the magazine is clearly printed for self-serving purposes by Best Buy. IIRC correctly, at least GameInformer was it's own magazine before GS got their hands on it. Over the years people thought they gave all games no lower than a 6, b/c if nobody goes to GS to buy the games, then that's bad for business.

I just see this magazine as jumping on the bandwagon. Sure RZ is free, but if this magazine is going to be 80% advertisements and BB propaganda, then it does need to be free. Afterall, they can print up millions of the little flyers for both the DVD & Game section every month, perhaps scale that back a little for the magazine, and give it away for free. I don't think I'd sign up for $20, $10 maybe, but it would be like the 4th video game magazine I get, they need to look at it like that, 'who really needs another game magazine subscription? we should just give this to them, they will see the coupons and come into the store!"[/QUOTE]

when was Game Informer their own magazine? I remember going back *at least* 10-12 years ago when FUNCO LAND would try to sell it to me everytime I went in.

[quote name='Unaki']Yeah. It should be free. Especially if other people are coming on here saying they just got a random issue in the mail for being a RZ member. Not going to pay $6 to save money.[/QUOTE]

I must be an idiot because I put an extra $1500 down on my house at closing to save $18,000 over the life of my mortgage. Damn :whistle2:/

[quote name='smoger']when was Game Informer their own magazine? I remember going back *at least* 10-12 years ago when FUNCO LAND would try to sell it to me everytime I went in.[/QUOTE]

really? like I said, I'm not too far versed in it and I never had the pleasure of stepping into a Funco Land, but yeah, just read the wiki, started in 1991 by FuncoLand..oh well! I just needed some fuel for my argument :lol: ;)

[quote name='token2k6']really? like I said, I'm not too far versed in it and I never had the pleasure of stepping into a Funco Land, but yeah, just read the wiki, started in 1991 by FuncoLand..oh well! I just needed some fuel for my argument :lol: ;)[/QUOTE]

it's all good! it's a shame you missed out on FuncoLand.. it was a gem.. but Game Informer always turned me off because it was self published. I haven't really looked through a copy in years, so maybe it's better now than it used to be.

The Skate3 one can be good if you PM the Kmart sale next week (or if BB has it for the same price of $39.99)... $19.99 for a new(ish) game is a good deal where I'm standing.

[quote name='duckydan']The Skate3 one can be good if you PM the Kmart sale next week (or if BB has it for the same price of $39.99)... $19.99 for a new(ish) game is a good deal where I'm standing.[/QUOTE]

Anyone find Halo 3 ODST for $20 so we can pricematch BB to.

does best buy price match amazon because on amazon they have it new for $27.25..my 2 friends both need this game..for $7.25 thats an amazing deal.!..well $7.25 plus the magazine cost but still...

[quote name='smoger']I must be an idiot because I put an extra $1500 down on my house at closing to save $18,000 over the life of my mortgage. Damn :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]yep worst decision ever!"!!!!

Hey did anyone get this that isnt using the World Cup 2010 coupon. I would really appreciate getting that :) PM me please!!

Man that $20 off of Bioshock 2 is amazing considering that Gamestop is doing a price drop on that game effective tomorrow making it $40. So if the $20 off works like a manufacturer's coupon, you could get Bioshock 2 for $20. :) If anyone gets this to work, please post. I've been waiting to get that game for a while now. Good luck to anyone that tries and succeeds. :bouncy:

[quote name='smoger']it's all good! it's a shame you missed out on FuncoLand.. it was a gem.. but Game Informer always turned me off because it was self published. I haven't really looked through a copy in years, so maybe it's better now than it used to be.[/QUOTE]

Ahh funcoland!! I remember back in the day when the internetz would give you free stuff left and right. I must have gotten ~$1000 in free funcoland gift certs for clicking on ads at freeride and trade in games gamespot gave out each month in easy to win contests. Too bad everything was usually MSRP there, not much different from gamestop.

The biggest downside is that you aren't really saving money on these games like Bioshock 2 with the $20 off coupon because Bioshock 2 at Best Buy is still $60 MSRP.

I'm wondering the same? I never understood how they "pick and choose" who receives perks like this, and who doesn't?

It's like Newegg.com. They only send coupon codes to people who have an account with them but haven't bought anything. Does that make any sense at all? It'd make more sense to reward people who spend money at their site, and continue to do so even without the perks they offer.

That's just my opinion though. :roll:

Just got the first issue for free. Rather surprised to see it in there. I would post the coupons but it's against CAG rules sadly. Not sure if it means anything but I am also a Premiere Silver member in addition to GamerZone.

[quote name='Jodou']So, is there a PDF of this coupon yet or what?[/QUOTE]

That would be highly YMMV. The coupons are printed on a glossy paper and the magazine is right beside the checkout counter for comparison. I'm sure management would crack down real quick on that.

[quote name='smoger']it's all good! it's a shame you missed out on FuncoLand.. it was a gem.. but Game Informer always turned me off because it was self published. I haven't really looked through a copy in years, so maybe it's better now than it used to be.[/QUOTE]

FUNCOLAND, maybe it was just my area but that was the absolute worst game store I unfortunately ever walked into. I remember they had boxes for like every game that was ever made and everytime you took one to the counter to buy it they would say, Let me check if we have that one. and they never did have it. I still don't understand that store

Has anyone read this new mag yet? Is it any good? I miss EGM, especially when they used to give numerical scores instead of letter grades in their reviews. Gameinformer is pretty good, but a "7 out of 10" being an average game skews the scores a little higher than what would seem to be intuitive.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Just got the first issue for free. Rather surprised to see it in there. I would post the coupons but it's against CAG rules sadly. Not sure if it means anything but I am also a Premiere Silver member in addition to GamerZone.[/QUOTE]

I'm a Premiere Silver and GamerZone member too so I hope I get the free issue. I plan on getting Tiger Woods 11 for the Wii and that coupon would come in handy.

Looks like the magazine is from Future, which publishes both Official Xbox & PS mags, along with Nintendo Power & PC Gamer. I'm curious to see the mag has some quality to it... The magazine that EB started before GS bought them out (GMR) was excellent, so here's hoping this might be something equally as worthy....

I'm nowhere near being a silver/premier/prestige whatever they call it but I got the mag a day or so ago. I thumbed through it, not really reading it too tough. It seemed on the level of the old GamePro mag that used to have BBY coupons.

I probably wont use any of the coupons though unless there is some type of double stacking potential with say Tiger Woods.

[quote name='smoger']I must be an idiot because I put an extra $1500 down on my house at closing to save $18,000 over the life of my mortgage. Damn :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

Statistically speaking, it is the bank that comes out ahead with you paying the extra $1500.

Not to say that it was a bad move on your part. You may come out ahead if and only if you stay at your current home long enough. That is the reason why the bank offered you the deal, most people will not stay in the house long enough to reap the benefit.

Back on topic, RZ was so much better in the past than it is now. Having said that, there maybe an opportunity to get in on some pretty good deals. I guess we will have to wait and see if any materialize.

From Future Publishing
Industry veterans William O’Neal and Andy Eddy lead the editorial team as Editor-in-Chief and Executive Editor. O’Neal formerly acted as G4TV’s gadget and technology correspondent on “Attack of the Show,” while Eddy has been a journalist and consultant in the game industry for more than two decades. Chuck Osborn, Group Editor-in-Chief of Future Plus, and Julian Rignall, Future Plus’ Editorial Director will oversee @Gamer. Combined, their experience includes PC Gamer, NVISION magazines, and the launch of the World of Warcraft Official Magazine.
What's to know:

-First issue is 90+ pages
-Ads about every 3-4 pages. Sometimes every other page. (Including one for ECA, boo!!)
-July/August 2010
-Medal of Honor cover
-Some editorial/news (but as a launch issue it is obviously light)
-writing seems decent (I haven't spent more than 10 minutes with it)
-Release Calendar inside (not removable)
-Some iPad Game "recommendations"
-"$145 in Best Buy Coupons" (Coupons are double-sided and say "No Copies"
-atgamemagazine.com

Previews:
-Not too lengthy, some are a bit short. Madden is the longest (duh sell more mags that way)
-What's Great vs What's Not So Great for each
-They note BB incentives for Preorders

Games Previewed:
-Madden NFL 11
-Mafia II
-Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions
-City Of Heroes: Going Rogue
-Need For Speed World
-StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
-Kan & Lynch 2: Dog Days
-Two Worlds II
-Dead Rising 2
-Metriod: Other M
-DeathSpank
-Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock

Reviews:
-0(1?)-5 scale with half points used (not really explained though)
-What's Great vs What's Not So Great for each
-Platform differences noted
-Lowest score this issue - 3
-Highest score this issue - 5
-some short reviews
-they said they will be mostly reviewing games "worth your time and money" to meet page count

Games Reviewed:
-Crackdown 2
-Backbreaker
-Lego Harry Potter
-Green Day: Rock Band
-Tiger Woods: PGA Tour 11
-Alpha Protocol
-Dragon Ball: Origins 2
-Ace Combat: Joint Assault
-Naughty Bear
-Super Mario Galaxy 2
-Sniper: Ghost Warrior
-The Sims 3: Ambitions

Also some gear/tech/accessory reviews (not as fleshed out as the game reviews, only 2-3 paragraphs)
-Galaxy GeForce GTX 470 vs PNY GeForce GTX 480
-Tritton AX 720 vs Turtle Beach X41
-Iomega Prestige 1 TB Desktop HDD vs Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB External HDD

bread's done
Back