2008-09 NHL Thread - Stanley Cup Finals begin May 30!!!

shieryda

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
Regular season starts on Saturday.

Rangers vs. Lightning in Prague, and Penguins vs. Senators in Stockholm.

Any early predictions on Cup winner, or season scoring champ? I'll go with Ovechkin as scoring champ (goals, at least), and Montreal for champs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, I'd have to say the Red Wings are going to win it again, not only cause they are my team;), but they are just generally an all around great team. Only team we have trouble with are the Preds, and the Penguins.

I shall second that "let's go sharks!" Does anybody know if the NHL stream geams online or anything? Like NHL Center Ice on cable/satelite where you can get out of area games. I don't get any games up here besides what is on Verses/NBC.

I would look for the Thrashers to be a contender this year, young talent mixed with some vets. Also the best goalie in the league.

No one is talking about the new and improved Hawks? They might be the team that Detroit will have to compete this year for the division title. The Hawks did make them their bitches last year.

[quote name='Canadian_Man']It's an exciting year to be in Montreal. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Carey Price for MVP??? He's going to be a helluva goalie.

No one is talking about the new and improved Hawks?

They will be fun to watch this year. Plus, all 82 games on tv! Plus, the Bulin Wall is outta here.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shieryda']Carey Price for MVP??? He's going to be a helluva goalie.
Wouldn't go that far. He played good last year and has potential, I just hope he plays better than he did in last year's playoffs.

ESPN The Magazine graded every team, and only two got an 'A+' mark: Dallas and Detroit. I know these rankings don't mean dick, but that Dallas grade really surprised me. When you think about it, though, it kind of makes sense: They have a bunch of young guys this year, plus most of the good players from last year, and enough cap space to conceivably pick up someone else down the road. Should be interesting to see how well they do, especially since they're in the same division as the Sharks and the Ducks.

I'm a Stars fan, but I'm betting on Detroit. They're always so damn good. I do hope Dallas does well, though.

Also: I love NHL Center Ice. It really makes me appreciate having Ralph Strangis and Razor Reaugh to announce the Dallas games -- most of the other announcers are pretty boring.

[quote name='dmes65']I would look for the Thrashers to be a contender this year, young talent mixed with some vets. Also the best goalie in the league.[/quote]

Lehtonen is the best goalie in the league now? I must have missed that one.

Maybe you're talking about Johan Hedberg.

[quote name='dmes65']I would look for the Thrashers to be a contender this year, young talent mixed with some vets. Also the best goalie in the league.[/quote]

Have you forgotten about Osgood? Or Brodeur? Or Fleury? Or the goalie the Ducks have, can't remember his name. No sir, I don't think he's the best goalie, nor are the Thrashers a good team. Never have been, never will be.

As for magazines picking who they think will win, I've got brothers who subscribe to SI: Kids. They've got Wings winning the cup, 4 games to one, I forgot the team they were playing.

[quote name='Canadian_Man'][quote name='shieryda']Carey Price for MVP??? He's going to be a helluva goalie.[/quote]
Wouldn't go that far. He played good last year and has potential, I just hope he plays better than he did in last year's playoffs.[/quote]

I just saw his spectacular save from last night against Detroit and WOW!

[quote name='Canadian_Man']I just saw his spectacular save from last night against Detroit and WOW![/QUOTE]

Was watching live last night. That save was ridiculous!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikeCcQg6sf4[/media]

Man, I wish I could have seen that Chicago/Dallas game last night. 5 fights, a couple misconducts and a shoot-out, to boot!

[quote name='TC']Was watching live last night. That save was ridiculous![/quote]

Pfff, that shit wasn't even headed for the goal. (Still a nice mid-air swat, though.)

I can't believe Dallas had 14 power plays last night and they still managed to lose. I know it's the preseason, but... sheesh.

[quote name='Thongsy']I shall second that "let's go sharks!" Does anybody know if the NHL stream geams online or anything? Like NHL Center Ice on cable/satelite where you can get out of area games. I don't get any games up here besides what is on Verses/NBC.[/QUOTE]
NHL Network is carrying a bunch of games this year. Every Saturday night, many Wednesdays, plus Hockey Night in Canada.

NHL Center Ice also has an online offering, NHL GameCenter Live. They've got a free weekend Oct 10-12.
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/index.html

You can also find games streamed online in the NHL forum here:
http://www.myp2p.eu

I didn't even know the season started today, but I happened to turn on the NHL Network about 1 minute into the 1st period. Awesome.

I got back from the game between Dallas and Edmonton a few hours ago. Dallas had 41 shots on goal and Edmonton had 14, but Dallas still lost 2-3.

Honestly, it was kind of boring, but I got to get a look at some of the new guys on the Stars. I don't see why there was so much hubbub over this Fabian Brunnstrom. James Neal had a couple nice shots on goal, though.

By the way everyone was playing, you could definitely tell that it was a preseason game.

[quote name='siderealshift']I got back from the game between Dallas and Edmonton a few hours ago. Dallas had 41 shots on goal and Edmonton had 14, but Dallas still lost 2-3.

Honestly, it was kind of boring, but I got to get a look at some of the new guys on the Stars. I don't see why there was so much hubbub over this Fabian Brunnstrom. James Neal had a couple nice shots on goal, though.

By the way everyone was playing, you could definitely tell that it was a preseason game.[/quote]

Wow. I had forgotten about that Brunnstrom kid. I was hoping that Detroit would get him. Maybe he'll be a bust, but it's still real early to make that claim.

[quote name='shieryda']Wow. I had forgotten about that Brunnstrom kid. I was hoping that Detroit would get him. [/QUOTE]

The Wings snuck in and grabbed this guy from the same league. http://www.redwingscentral.com/prospects/leino.php He's been very impressive in the preseason and normally would be a shoe in to make an NHL team. Too many good bodies and not enough spots right now.

[quote name='shieryda']Probably not good for Kindl, either.[/QUOTE]

Kindl is another year out for sure. He will benefit greatly from playing every day in Grand Rapids rather than watching from the press box in Detroit.

Jonathan Ericsson on the other hand is very, very close to NHL ready. He will see some time up with the Wings this regular season. Especially being 6'5 225 and can skate damn well for a big man.

Now with the offense it will be a real shame is Darren Helm doesn't make this team this season. I don't think he can learn anything more by playing in the minors and he is a PURE skater. I mean this guy can really fly. He and Leino are really battling it out. Hell Justin Abdelkader would be regular 3rd or 4th line player on many teams right now and he will probably be sent down.

Everything is still up in the air. Roster numbers, how many d-men/forwards they are going to carry. Hell I think they are slightly over the cap. A bottom tier defenseman is most likely going to have to be traded in the next 72 hours. The Wings have problems most other teams wish they had. Its going to be a fun season. Looking forward to seeing some good battles against your Hawks.

[quote name='TC']Kindl is another year out for sure. He will benefit greatly from playing every day in Grand Rapids rather than watching from the press box in Detroit.

Jonathan Ericsson on the other hand is very, very close to NHL ready. He will see some time up with the Wings this regular season. Especially being 6'5 225 and can skate damn well for a big man.

Now with the offense it will be a real shame is Darren Helm doesn't make this team this season. I don't think he can learn anything more by playing in the minors and he is a PURE skater. I mean this guy can really fly. He and Leino are really battling it out. Hell Justin Abdelkader would be regular 3rd or 4th line player on many teams right now and he will probably be sent down.

Everything is still up in the air. Roster numbers, how many d-men/forwards they are going to carry. Hell I think they are slightly over the cap. A bottom tier defenseman is most likely going to have to be traded in the next 72 hours. The Wings have problems most other teams wish they had. Its going to be a fun season. Looking forward to seeing some good battles against your Hawks.[/quote]

First battle will be October 25. I will be watching in glorious HD from the comforts of my home. There are 3 games that they are offering 2-for-1 tix this month, so I should try to get to one of them.

Plus, New Year's Day will be frickin' insane.

Well they sent Darren Helm and Ville Leino and defenseman Jonathan Ericsson to Grand Rapids. Arron Downey was put on waivers and should clear to go to GR. Kyle Quincey defense is basically waiting to be traded. As soon as Jimmy Howard is healthy he will be sent down and open a spot for another skater. He can't be sent down while injured. Most likely Helm or Leino will get called up right away. There is room for another player based on the roster number, but there isn't enough cap space.

(Forwards)
Tomas Holmstrom-Pavel Datsyuk-Marian Hossa
Johan Franzen-Henrik Zetterberg-Jiri Hudler
Dan Cleary-Valtteri Filppula-Mikael Samuelsson
Tomas Kopecky-Kris Draper-Kirk Maltby

(Defensemen)
Nicklas Lidstrom-Brian Rafalski
Niklas Kronwall-Brad Stuart
Brett Lebda-Andreas Lilja
Derek Meech-Kyle Quincey

(Goalies)
Chris Osgood
Ty Conklin

(Injured reserve)
Chris Chelios (long-term, doesn't count against cap)
Darren McCarty (short-term, counts against cap)
Jimmy Howard (short-term, counts against cap)

It's really sad that a lot of people don't know the NHL season has started already. Gary Bettman needs to go, NOW!

^shit... I couldn't figure out if it started or not? The Sharks played and I thought it was a real game but I guess it was preseason.

I'm gonna have to go with Chicago this time around they got some good people and I see no reason why they can't go far this year. I'll also have my eye on Wash.

: Sigh: I have to keep tabs on the Sharks too but I see them going to the playoffs and then choking again.

As for that Carey Price save! Wow!

TC, you go to the games? My mom won a trip to Detroit to see the home opener against Toronto and I am so pissed. I can go because you need to be 21. I'm the Detroit fan in the house and I can't go. Those first two lines would make me squeamish if I had to play against them. Heres hoping Osgood (never one of my favourite goalies) can pull it off this year.

[quote name='Jest']TC, you go to the games? My mom won a trip to Detroit to see the home opener against Toronto and I am so pissed. I can go because you need to be 21. I'm the Detroit fan in the house and I can't go. Those first two lines would make me squeamish if I had to play against them. Heres hoping Osgood (never one of my favourite goalies) can pull it off this year.[/QUOTE]

Few years back I used to split season tix with a couple guys. I've been to a ton of games. I usually get to a couple games each season now. Sucks you can't go.

[quote name='TC']Kindl is another year out for sure. He will benefit greatly from playing every day in Grand Rapids rather than watching from the press box in Detroit.

Everything is still up in the air. Roster numbers, how many d-men/forwards they are going to carry. Hell I think they are slightly over the cap. A bottom tier defenseman is most likely going to have to be traded in the next 72 hours. The Wings have problems most other teams wish they had. Its going to be a fun season. Looking forward to seeing some good battles against your Hawks.[/QUOTE]

its also a problem of the Salary Cap, they are also shopping Quincy but they are in no urgency to move him.

Helm,Erricson,Adelkadder,Lieno should all make their way to the starting lineup soon. This is why i think Kenny Holland is one of the best GMs in Hockey. He knows what he is doing.

After the Wings game, watch the Bruins play the Avs on VS... Keep an eye on #42 Blake Wheeler, potential rookie of the year.

[quote name='TC'](Entire Detroit line-up)[/quote]

I don't understand how Detroit can be so stacked and still fit under the salary cap.

...It didn't help them tonight, though! Zing! ;) I thought the Ron Wilson Leafs were pretty impressive, and I liked what I saw of the Bruins. I didn't watch too much of the Sharks/Ducks game, but both look like good teams.

I'm going to the Stars opener tomorrow night -- hopefully they'll play like they mean it. I really want to see what Sean Avery brings to the team, if anything.

Ron Wilson is a very, very good coach and his guys stuck to the game plan. The Leafs out played the Wings almost all night.

I told you to watch Wheeler... He scored his first NHL goal tonight.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASqLj3ZeI8s[/media]

The Wings didn't play good at all. There were so many give aways and turn overs. Still hung-over I guess. I was very impressed with the Leafs. They were quite solid defensively.

Kings begin their quest to get out of the Western Conference cellar tomorrow night at 7. I'm excited for my first full season as a hockey fan.

Still 1-0 after 1.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but we get Hockey Night in Canada here in America now on NHL Network. In the opener, Montreal raped Toronto 6-1, and in the nightcap, Calgary leads Vancouver 3-1 in the first.

Hey, yeah, talkin' to myself...

Between all the penalties and being outshot by a whopping 32-8 margin, it's a miracle the Kings are only down 2-1.

Oh, and the video quality on Fox Sports West is atrocious compared to the NHL Network. I have a 52" TV and it's hard to read the clock, it's so blurry.

[quote name='Matt Young']Still 1-0 after 1.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but we get Hockey Night in Canada here in America now on NHL Network. In the opener, Montreal raped Toronto 6-1, and in the nightcap, Calgary leads Vancouver 3-1 in the first.[/quote]

You, my friend, just made my day.

Red Wings looked much better tonight. No more guys standing around, giving up easy interceptions, etc. Good win, although 2 of the goals were weak.

bread's done
Back