2009-2010 College Basketball Thread

[quote name='dmaul1114']Not lucking good...Ohio up 16 wit 15 minutes to play. Would screw my bracket since I have them in the Elite 8.

But I'm in no money pools this year, so I don't care. And I hate Georgetown.[/QUOTE]

I have personal reasons to wish OU lose handily - even if seeing them beat Georgetown is kinda neat.

I didn't fill out a bracket this year, for a change of pace. But I enjoy reminding my family that Kentucky ain't gonna take it all anyway. :lol:

Glad to see Kansas State kick butt. Frank Martin for National Coach of the Year!

My bracket has taken a beating already! I haven't lost any big dogs but I'm only 3-5 on my picks so far.

[quote name='Kilraven']Ohio U has officially fucked up more brackets than Murray and St. Mary's.[/QUOTE]

And it figures, I picked the other 2 in the CAG bracket and had Georgetown playing UK for the Championship. Oh well. Let's see what upsets are left for tomorrow.

Just awful post season for the Big East so far. 3 teams lose to double digit seeds today, and Nova needed bad calls and OT to beat a 15 seed. On top of that, USF and Seton Hall got upset at home in the NIT. Yeesh.

Hopefully it goes better for the Big East tomorrow. At least for WVU! And not for Pitt, they can lose by 50.

...Lehigh's out to a 10-4 run in the opening minute of their game with Kansas. With the way this day has gone, this could be good.

My bracket is jacked up. 7-12 right now. I always choose the wrong upsets. Luckily I only had G-town going to the sweet 16.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Just awful post season for the Big East so far. 3 teams lose to double digit seeds today, and Nova needed bad calls and OT to beat a 15 seed. On top of that, USF and Seton Hall got upset at home in the NIT. Yeesh.

Hopefully it goes better for the Big East tomorrow. At least for WVU! And not for Pitt, they can lose by 50.[/QUOTE]

I find it hilarious to watch the supposed best conference in the nation losing to random mid-majors. Puts them in there place.

I don't find it funny as a huge Big East fan. But I kind of expected it. College basketball kind of sucks this year. It's been Kansas, Kentucky, then a drop off to a cluster of teams like Cuse, WVU, Ohio State, K-State, and then everyone else pretty much. Real lack of dominant, power teams this year.

Anyway, this may be the best day of first round games I can recall. Tons of upsets. Tons of close games. 3 OT games (including one 2OT game), a buzzer beater and a couple game winners with a second or two left. Unbelievable.

My brackets not looking great! But with all the upsets it could be much worse.

I finished 10-6. Lost 3 of my sweet 16 (G-Town, UTEP, Texas) and 1 Elite 8 (G-Town). My other misses were UNLV, ND, and Marquette, which I had all losing on Saturday.

Went 10-6, but only lost one in the Sweet 16. Bad thing was that all of my losses (save for Georgetown) were in games decided by one shot.

Wow and the Big East was supposed to be the best... 1-4 with Villanova escaping a 15 seed... :lol:

What a great first day of tourney! The games were enjoyable to watch. As for my bracket, Georgetown and Marquette busted two rounds for me. I went 11-16 yesterday (ones I missed were Murray St, Ohio, Washington, Old D, and St Mary).

How does Texas blow an 8 point lead in OT?

Cornell is just murdering Temple right now. Another bracket buster for alot of people.

I called Cornell a very dangerous 12 a few days ago I didn't think they would destroy Temple this bad. Kicking myself for not going for the upset, oh well I had Temple losing in the next round anyways.

Yeah, another bracket buster for me as I had Temple in the Elite 8.

Oh well. At least WVU won big. Terrible start going down 10-0, but dominated from there on and won by 27.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, another bracket buster for me as I had Temple in the Elite 8.

Oh well. At least WVU won big. Terrible start going down 10-0, but dominated from there on and won by 27.[/QUOTE]

I was a tad nervous since I have them going far but they start slow so I was not worried.

Pretty boring day of games so far--especially compared to yesterday's craziness.

Only close game was Wisc. and Wofford. Couple of upsets with Mizzou and Cornell winning, but those weren't big upsets.

WVU gets Mizzou on Sunday. I like the match up. We don't tend to struggle with the press, and should be able to slow the pace down and they don't seem like much of a half court team.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
Only close game was Wisc. and Wofford. [/QUOTE]

And there was an anticlimactic D'OH moment from the Wofford PG at the end of that game. Dribbled straight to the corner and lost the ball.

They were supposed to hit the 3 and continue destroying brackets.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, I actually picked Wofford in that game, had them going out in the next game.[/QUOTE]

Nice, I picked Montana but then a similar situation happened last night. If both Montana and Wofford had won, we might be in uncharted tourney territory.

No more perfect brackets on Yahoo.

Figures my team would kill themselves in the first half with terrible passing :(... we just couldn't dig ourselves out of the huge hole from the first half. Congrats Zaga on the great shooting... you guys made some tough shots.

My bracket is beyond repair. In the East, I only have one team that has a chance to make the sweet sixteen since I had Clemson, Marquette, and Temple getting there, which both Clemson and Temple lost today.

Pretty boring day of games, but WVU and UMD won which is all I cared about!

Bracket is in pretty poor support.

Went 21-11 for the first round. Lost 5 of my sweet 16 (Georgetown, UTEP, Temple, Texas and Siena) and two of my elite 8 (Temple and Georgetown). Could have been much worse, but still worst first round bracket I've had in a few years.

I didn't make a bracket this year. It's so nice to be free of not having a bracket.

Most interesting Saturday game: St. Mary's/Villanova

Most interesting Sunday game: Michigan St./Maryland

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Evan Turner's lucky that his teammates stepped up for him to get them a big win, as he played like shit (9 pts, went 2 for 13).[/QUOTE]

Yes and I'm glad to see that happen cause they're not living and dying by Turner's play. He is a huge factor since he forces a team to always account for him and can breakdown defenses and get the ball the open man. However, they need him to step it up and have a good game against Georgia Tech.

[quote name='lordopus99']Figures my team would kill themselves in the first half with terrible passing :(... we just couldn't dig ourselves out of the huge hole from the first half. Congrats Zaga on the great shooting... you guys made some tough shots.

[/QUOTE]

Do not sleep on the Zags, as I told you. Size doesn't really bother us -- we have size to burn. Quickness may be another matter.

Bring on the 'Cuse!

[quote name='wildcpac']How does Texas blow an 8 point lead in OT?

Cornell is just murdering Temple right now. Another bracket buster for alot of people.[/QUOTE]

Because they remembered who they were this year.

Sunday game schedule sucks for me.

1. WVU and MD games (my two alma maters) are on at the same time.

2. Their on at the same time as Georgia Tech, so neither will be on TV here in Atlanta.

Oh well. Will watch WVU on my laptop, maybe borrow another laptop from the girlfriend for the MD game.

I love the Big East, but poor showing this year for sure. But as long as WVU keeps winning I couldn't care less what the conference does! Thankfully it's not like college football where it's more a popularity contest than a sport and you have to root for your conference to do well to improve your chance at getting high rankings and shots at the title etc.

Anyway, St. Mary's is a damn good team. Have caught them a few times this year since the games were on late and I'm a night owl.

They have a real shot at making a George Mason type run in the tourney. Pretty favorable path remaining for them. Get Baylor or Old Dominion in the next round, hardly world beaters there.

Probably Duke in the Elite 8, and they're easily the weakest 1 seed. If not Duke then Cal, Texas A&M or Purdue. So they definitely have a shot as they have no dominant teams in their path.

Murray State shot themselves in the foot so many times. That had to be one of he worst endings I have ever seen. They didn't even get a shot off!

3rd time its happened in the tourney. Guard dribbles the ball too long at the end of a game down 2 or 3 and turns it over... game over. Hate to see it happen over and over again and Murray State had a great game too. Oh well, lets go Northern Iowa!

[quote name='ph33r m3']Ummm Kansas.....it's called a bunch of white-shooters....guard em?[/QUOTE]

I love it, GO NORTHERN IOWA! Even though it will destroy a major chunk of my remaining bracket it would be well worth it!

Kansas still down 12 with 12:30 or so to play.

NM down 12 at the half to Washington. Hope that holds up as I'd much rather WVU play Washington if they take care of Mizzou tomorrow.

Way to jinx the Panthers CBS... As soon as they put the stat up on the screen that they had not committed a turnover in 15 minutes what happens, TURNOVER!

Kansas is making a huge comeback as Northern Iowa is turning the ball over every other time.

Washington has a huge 20 point lead against NM so that it's another huge upset to go with Nova losing.

What a huge 3 by Iowa to take a 4 point lead with less than 30 seconds.

Wtf is UNI doing? They apparently don't know how to throw the ball inbounds. Its not hard.

EDIT: HUUUUUGE Fkn shot by Faruqminesh!(sp?)

EDIT2: Annnnnd Kansas goes down!!!!!!!! Now all I need is Syracuse to lose and I wont even care if my team wins.

While I loved seeing OU upset G-town, N. Iowa thumping Kansas, Morris taking it to Villa, and Washington beating Marquette, I fully expect RPI to get reevaluated.

bread's done
Back