2009-2010 College Basketball Thread

The internet just crashed. Congrats NIU even though my bracket is screwed that was awesome!

Well according to the bracket forecaster if all my others are right I can still get first place lol.

yeah what a game..

Northern Iowa up is up by 1 with 32 seconds left & 29 on the shot clock. You are open and fire up a 3? What the shit? And he sinks it. Definitely gonna be the shot of the tourney. Such a huge upset, poor brackets x.x;

[quote name='wildcpac']Washington has a huge 20 point lead against NM so that it's another huge upset to go with Nova losing.[/QUOTE]

You mean Georgetown? Nova should never had gotten the 2 seed.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Well I'm done watchin' this tourney.[/QUOTE]

Why? Watching these upsets is what the tourney is all about...I am loving it, even though my team is out of it.

Everyone should have realized that Kansas was never going to win this year... history has proven that... granted I thought they would make the elite 8...

[quote name='lordopus99']Why? Watching these upsets is what the tourney is all about...I am loving it, even though my team is out of it.

Everyone should have realized that Kansas was never going to win this year... history has proven that... granted I thought they would make the elite 8...[/QUOTE]

I had them getting to the Final Four. Actually despite all of the upsets I still have three of my Final Four left (K-State, Baylor, and Kentucky) and my champion K-State doesn't look half bad after all of the upsets.

It never fails. Since I hate Kansas they always do the opposite of what I pick them to do just to fuck with my bracket. If I pick them to bow out early they make a run to the Final Four or win the whole damn thing, when I pick them to make a deep run the get upset early.

Crazy, crazy tourney so far.

Working out well for my teams though. If WVU gets past Mizzouri today, they'll get 11 seed Washington rather than 3 seed New Mexico who worries me. Sucks we got stuck in Kentucky's bracket rather than Dukes though, as we don't match up well with them at all if both get that far. Hoping the Wisconsin Cornell winner can trip them up next week.

Maryland also got some help to with Kansas out of their way if they can beat Michigan State today.

My bracket is done since I had Kansas beating WVU in the title game and Nova in the Final Four.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Crazy, crazy tourney so far.

Working out well for my teams though. If WVU gets past Mizzouri today, they'll get 11 seed Washington rather than 3 seed New Mexico who worries me. Sucks we got stuck in Kentucky's bracket rather than Dukes though, as we don't match up well with them at all if both get that far. Hoping the Wisconsin Cornell winner can trip them up next week.

Maryland also got some help to with Kansas out of their way if they can beat Michigan State today.

My bracket is done since I had Kansas beating WVU in the title game and Nova in the Final Four.[/QUOTE]

Based off of last night's clinic on Wake, I doubt Kentucky has any competition until WVU and even then I dont think WVU will pull it out.

I also lost Nova for the Final Four.

[quote name='lordopus99']Why? Watching these upsets is what the tourney is all about...I am loving it, even though my team is out of it.

Everyone should have realized that Kansas was never going to win this year... history has proven that... granted I thought they would make the elite 8...[/QUOTE]

Upsets are great in the first round.

Tennessee vs. Ohio was a barn-burner wasn't it?

Let's not fool ourselves, we all love upsets, but after the first round it becomes tiresome.

UNI vs. Mich St/Maryland.....not the same excitement as Kansas vs. Mich St./Maryland.

[quote name='wildcpac']Murray State shot themselves in the foot so many times. That had to be one of he worst endings I have ever seen. They didn't even get a shot off![/QUOTE]

As a Murray State alum, I can tell ya that is how every game we play against a major school during the season or in the tournament usually goes, outside of the Vandy game. If we don't blow a lead late, then someone gets hurt.

Still an incredible run and our best season ever. We only lose 3 players (although 2 of them are starters) so hopefully we can make another run next year.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Upsets are great in the first round.

Tennessee vs. Ohio was a barn-burner wasn't it?

Let's not fool ourselves, we all love upsets, but after the first round it becomes tiresome.

UNI vs. Mich St/Maryland.....not the same excitement as Kansas vs. Mich St./Maryland.[/QUOTE]
With how many highly-ranked teams that go into games without any preparation, it's much more interesting to see the teams that are well prepared for their opponents getting to continue on and play hard for the entire game. If Kansas was anywhere close to being as good as previous years where they won the championship, they'd have beaten Northern Iowa easily. They shouldn't get a pass when they don't deserve it.

Chalk is good when those top teams are great teams, but it's also good when they're not, as we can go into games not having any idea what to expect when Northern Iowa and Michigan State face each other.

Cornell on the verge of another huge upset over Wisconsin. When was the last time an Ivy Team won 2 games in 1 tournament?

Amazing finish to the Maryland/Michigan State game.

Definitely happy to see Evan Turner finally show up for this tournament as they were getting pushed around by Georgia Tech's defense for the beginning of the game.

[quote name='wildcpac']Cornell on the verge of another huge upset over Wisconsin. When was the last time an Ivy Team won 2 games in 1 tournament?[/QUOTE]

Yeah no kidding. One of the most consistent teams in the tourney so far has been Cornell. Holy crap! What a finish in the Maryland Michigan State game!

Go WVU! 4th sweet 16 the last 6 years. Bring on Washington. Hope Cornell can take care of Kentucky as well, then WVU has a chance to get the to the final 4 playing all double digit seeds.

Tough, tough loss for Maryland (my #2 team and 2nd alma mater). Puts a bit of damper on the day. Saw that coming when Vasquez scored with 6 seconds left, needed to use more time before taking a shot.

Maryland put no pressure on the guy that got the inbound pass with six seconds left, so they were just begging for Michigan State to sink that buzzer beater.

[quote name='wildcpac']Cornell on the verge of another huge upset over Wisconsin. When was the last time an Ivy Team won 2 games in 1 tournament?[/QUOTE]

I believe it was Penn in 79.

Good job Buckeyes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fitting that this crazy opening weekend finishes up with a 2 point overtime game. Easily my worst bracket every. Only got 7 of the Sweet 16 right, only have 4 elite 8 teams left, (Cuse, K-State, WVU and Duke), 2 final four (WVU, K-state), an done title game participant (WVU who I had losing to Kansas).

Can't wait for Thursday!

My bracket is done. Only one final four team left and my pick for Champion in Kentucky. Only three Elite 8 teams left. This is easily the worst bracket I have ever done.

Thanks Big East for showing that your conference isn't as strong as the analysts thought. 2 teams left out of the 8 that made it in.

Completely fucked up the Midwest Region but somehow still have 6 of 8 elite 8 left.

My bracket may be messed up but I'm having more fun watching this years tourney than ever.

On a side note, I'm getting really sick of listening to Colin Cowherd in the morning on my way back from class. He was just really putting the tourney down this year. Then again he has always gotten on my nerves. Any other good sports radio you guys listen to in the morning on Sirius?

Butler beats Syracuse. Down goes another #1 team. Turning point of the game was Cuse up 54-50 inbounding the ball with the chance to make it a 6 point lead with less than 4 minutes to go and turned it over. Butler scored a 3 right after.

Kentucky and Cornell should hopefully be epic.

The lack of Onuaku finally caught up with Syracuse. My interest in the tournament is almost gone now, unless Cornell makes a miraculous run.

My knowing nothing about college basketball is paying off, had Butler over Syracuse. Now just need Duke and West Virginia to go out and Kentucky to win the tournament.

KSU/Xavier in a knock out fight.

Cornell should be sick to their stomachs. They hold Kentucky to 55ish points and they the Big Red still lose. Turnovers and missed 3 pointers did Cornell in.

The KSU/Xavier game was maybe the best I've seen all year. Just big shot after big shot down the stretch and in the 2 OTs. Crazy game!

WVU takes care of business, though playing VERY sloppy with 23 turnovers, beating Washington 69-56.

I don't like our matchup with Kentucky, but feel better after watching their game. If Cornell can slow them down that much and keep their bigs from dominating inside.....

In any case, I think the WVU-Kentucky winner goes on to win the championship!

Let's go Mountaineers!

Cornell didn't have a chance... even with holding Kentucky's scoring down, which only happened in the second half. Cornell didn't hold their bigs down... Patterson had 12 boards and 3 blocks and Cousins still scored close to his average with 7 of 8 shooting (16pts) with 7 boards, while being in foul trouble. Kentucky outrebounded them 37-26 and you can add in their 16 steals. I don't feel WVU has a chance of stopping John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, and the rest of the Kentucky Wildcats. We can go ahead and give them their trophy; just like previous year of UNC all-star team. On the positive note, they will lose everyone to the draft... so Kentucky will be back to mediocrasy.

Their bigs had good games, but I was expecting 35-40 points out of Patterson and Cousins, but they just had good, not great games.

WVU has a lot more size, length and athleticism to throw at them.

Devin Ebanks will probably guard Wall, He's 6'9", very long and fast and has been a shut down defender. That will be the key matchup. We've not had problems with being dominated with bigs inside as we usually have 4 or 5 forwards on the floor and have 2 freshman centers we can put in to bang and not worry about foul trouble.

As long as we can keep them from running and gunning, we win. We haven't lost a game this year when holding opponents to 59 or less. So that's the real key. Slow it down and win the rebounding battle.

And it can be done, Kentucky isn't invincible. They're hardly last years UNC team as they lack the experience that team had.

They've lost to South Carolina, Tennessee and had several other close calls, all mostly to teams no where near as good as WVU.

If I were a betting man I'd put my money on Kentucky for sure. But WVU has a great chance. Should be a heck of a game, with these being the 2 best teams left in the field IMO.

Xavier vs K State was a great game! Tonight should be interesting with Northern Iowa now playing the role as the favorite.

As always GO BUCKS!

[quote name='dmaul1114']And it can be done, Kentucky isn't invincible. They're hardly last years UNC team as they lack the experience that team had.

They've lost to South Carolina, Tennessee and had several other close calls, all mostly to teams no where near as good as WVU.

If I were a betting man I'd put my money on Kentucky for sure. But WVU has a great chance. Should be a heck of a game, with these being the 2 best teams left in the field IMO.[/QUOTE]

I never said they were invincible... I just said on paper they are the best team... the lack of experience is the only thing working against them. They actually have more talent than the UNC team last year... Wall and Cousins would be in the NBA right now if the NBA didn't install the 1 year college rule and they both would have still gone in the first round.

Past losses don't mean much when it comes to tournament time or playoff time. All teams normally turn it up. You guys lost to a just as bad UConn (lost 1st round NIT) or how about Nova, ND, or majority of Big East schools who stunk it up in the Tourney... hey at least Tennessee is still playing. But again, past losses don't mean anything, when a trophy is within reach.

I am not saying the game wont be competitive. I agree with you. I think it will be the toughest game that Kentucky plays in the whole tourney, including whoever makes the championship with them. I always stated that the East was the toughest region.

EDIT: Tennessee just made the elite 8 by beating a good Ohio St team. They can't be that bad :p

I honestly think every team in the tourney can with this thing, except for Michigan State. They may make the Final Four but won't get past K State with Lucas out. I just hope someone stops the stolen Memphis Tigers, excuse me... Kentucky, before they win the title. (I'll give you Patrick Patterson Kentucky fans, he wasn't on the tigers.)

[quote name='KingBroly']I think today's Kentucky/West Virginia matchup will decide who wins it all.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I don't see any of the other remaining 8 teams beating the winner of that one (barring a major injury to Wall, Cousins, Butler, Ebanks etc.).

Butler knocked off K-State to make the Final Four.

Ugly start to the WVU-Kentucky game. UK up 16-9 with under 8 to play in the first half. WVU can't get anything going on offense (just 3 three pointers) and UK hasn't been much better, but has got some inside buckets and free throws.

Butler should've had the ball every possession in the last couple minutes of the first half... He was, and hopefully still is, on fire.

bread's done
Back