2009 MLB Discussion Thread

[quote name='JStryke']I'd hate to say it, but when they said the Tigers were up 7 in September, the first thing I thought of was a repeat of the Mets.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Hopefully for their sake, they don't hit a downward spiral like this sorry of an organization.

And it shouldn't get much easier for the Rox with another lefty in Hamels tomorrow - and if Manuel does the smart thing Happ on Saturday.

[quote name='yukine']Well this is uneventful, Lee is really dominating the Rockies.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='yukine']Not really being invested in either team, I was rooting for the Twins. Nice to see them win it, but it was a great game either way.[/QUOTE]

Let's hope the Twins-Yankee games are entertaining as well.

I the Yankees will blow them out 2 out 3 games in a sweep.

Dodgers and Cardinals have left 19 on base combined through 4.5 innings. Neither Mike Shannon nor Vin Scully have ever seen that according to Shannon, and they have almost 90 years combined experience calling baseball games.

That game went on for a very long time, but it was worth the wait. Hopefully, LA can pick up the win tomorrow. I'm sticking with a Dodgers 3-1 victory in the series.

P.S. MSUHitman: :p

That was an awesome game. Ugly, but a good result. Let's see what the kid can do today. If he pitches like he did on Saturday, we may be up 2-0.

That is the cardinals as well as the redsox biggest issue. Usually a large part of their lineups (minus pujols) all get cold at the same time. I would like to see both of them in the world series and I feel it could happen, but I worry that one or both teams might have a lot of players in slumps facing good/great pitching in Oct.

What a great finish, but that game was frustrating for the first 7 innings. It was the kind of game I expected to see last night, actually.

Awww yea. It's the ninth inning. It's when everything is just right. Down by 1, 2 outs. You lean in and whisper something sexy in my ear like "Damn it Holliday... ". I know what you're trying to say. You're tryin to say aaaaawwww yea.

It's business time.

hahaha i knew you'd be flipping out over that win. What a crazy game. After Wainwright, there is a big disparity in pitching. So it could be the dodgers series after knocking out the two cy young candidates.

[quote name='dafoomie']How did he not see the tag made at 1st?[/QUOTE]

That was one of the most horseshit calls I've ever seen. He was standing RIGHT there, no human being on the planet should have had a clearer view of it, and yet somehow every Red Sox player saw the tag. It wasn't close.

CB Bucknor is easily the worst ump in MLB though, so it's not a surprise.

Lester got out of it, but had to throw a bunch of extra pitches.

Lackey hasn't consistently thrown strikes all night, he's not getting ahead in the count, but they're letting him off the hook. His pitch count isn't even that high.

It is not possible that just happened again. This isn't a new thing with CB Bucknor, he has no clue out there. How does he still have a job?

For the record, he's consistently been voted the worst umpire in the league by the players (by a fairly wide margin) and yet still has work.

[quote name='yukine']Yeah... the Sox are getting pretty screwed by the umps in this game.[/QUOTE]

LOL

fuckin whiners. Neither of the 2 blown calls by the first base ump hurt them. Red Sox got their asses beat.

WOOOOOO!!! A-ROD!!! Freakin unreal! Joe Nathan shit the bed majorly. 2 batters, 2 runs. Now the Yanks just gotta put this one away. Let's go Yankees!

That was a fucking shot.

Why the hell are the Yankees throwing ANYTHING but fastballs down the middle to Nick Punto? He's a little midget with no offensive talent. But Hughes gave up that hit, because they went to the breaking ball, and now Ace walks him! Just throw fastballs right over to this guy. What the hell is he ever gonna do with them? I don't even think the right-field porch in Yankee Stadium is close enough for him to knock one out.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']That was a fucking shot.

Why the hell are the Yankees throwing ANYTHING but fastballs down the middle to Nick Punto? He's a little midget with no offensive talent. But Hughes gave up that hit, because they went to the breaking ball, and now Ace walks him! Just throw fastballs right over to this guy. What the hell is he ever gonna do with them? I don't even think the right-field porch in Yankee Stadium is close enough for him to knock one out.[/QUOTE]

That's all right. He got out of it. Gotta put it away here though. The bullpen is getting thin.

That was an awful call down the line, and even before they showed the replay, I was like, "That seems like it should have been fair." I'll definitely take it, though, especially after the way the last inning ended.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']That was an awful call down the line, and even before they showed the replay, I was like, "That seems like it should have been fair." I'll definitely take it, though, especially after the way the last inning ended.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, shit happens. And even with an extra umpire down the line, he can't get the call right. Crazy that Mauer ended up getting a hit anyway. Even CRAZIER that DRob got out of that without giving up a run. If the Yanks don't win this game, I'm going to be pissed. ONE RUN. They HAVE to do it NOW!

WOOHOOO!!!!!! YEAH!!!! Another walk-off dagger stabbed into Minnesota's heart! I love it! I was at the first walk-off game on 5/15 when Melky blooped the single into center. And they just keep getting sweeter and sweeter. Now we just gotta close out that abomination that is the Metrodome, and let them turn that place into a parking lot!

I'm not a Twins or a Yankees fan - but my god did the umps decide that game - the ball to the left field corner the Twins hit was fair by a mile. The ump was right there too - no idea how you miss that. It cost the Twins one run *minimum*.

It would be excusable if it were even close, but man...

[quote name='austenwithane']I'm not a Twins or a Yankees fan - but my god did the umps decide that game - the ball to the left field corner the Twins hit was fair by a mile. The ump was right there too - no idea how you miss that. It cost the Twins one run *minimum*.

It would be excusable if it were even close, but man...[/QUOTE]

The umps have been utterly miserable all year long. The MLB needs to re haul the umps. either give them some better eyes or toss em for umps that have good eyes. Its pathetic. Ed Cuzzy sucks!

A great game nonetheless.

[quote name='austenwithane']I'm not a Twins or a Yankees fan - but my god did the umps decide that game - the ball to the left field corner the Twins hit was fair by a mile. The ump was right there too - no idea how you miss that. It cost the Twins one run *minimum*.

It would be excusable if it were even close, but man...[/QUOTE]

That's such a stupid argument. The umpiring is always bad. Despite dumbass Chip Caray stroking Merriwether's ego behind the plate, his strikezone was all over the place. Their k-zone even proved that he wasn't consistently calling the same locations. But the announcers were so stupid, they actually praised him for "not always giving the same close pitches". How the hell is that good umpiring??? I have no problem with an ump calling a strike 2 inches off the plate. But call it every time!

As for the umps "deciding the game", yeah...the umpires caused Minnesota to leave 17 runners on base. The umpires caused Joe Nathan to completely implode in the 9th and 10th innings. I agree, the ball down the left field line was a blown call...with the ump right there, no less. But that's not the Yankees fault. Review the umpire and punish him. The correct calls should be made.

But in the end, the Twins failed to execute numerous times and had plenty of opportunities to put that game away. Even early in the game, A.J. Burnett pitched like shit. 2 hit batters and 5 walks...and the Twins could do nothing with it. Was that the umps fault? I'll agree that the Yankees were fortunate to win this game, and I didn't think it was a very strong showing from them (hitting was non-existent until the 6th inning on, AJ sucked, bullpen was shaky, etc.). But even so, Minnesota couldn't beat them. And that falls squarely on them.

[quote name='Setzer']LOL

fuckin whiners. Neither of the 2 blown calls by the first base ump hurt them. Red Sox got their asses beat.[/QUOTE]
Well old news... but yeah, it does matter and it hurt the Sox. It wasn't the reason the Red Sox lost, but whenever a pitcher has to get that extra out it brings up his pitch count, thus having to resort to the bullpen sooner. Lester had to get three additional outs because of blown calls. He might have been able to pitch another inning if the umps got it right.

And for the record, I dislike the Red Sox and I've been rooting for the Angels to win the AL. So come now, don't be so ignorant.

For those who want to complain about the Morneau foul ball.

1. The Twins had the bases loaded in that inning with no outs and failed to score a run.

2. The three runs scored by the Twins all came after the Yankees got screwed by the umps. AJ had a strikeout not called by home plate ump. That was right before the triple. Hughes had Gomez struck out and that led to the 2 run 8th. Another non call by the Ump.

3. The Twins Pitchers were getting strikes call all day on the same exact location that the Yankee pitchers were getting calls called balls.

[quote name='yukine']Well old news... but yeah, it does matter and it hurt the Sox. It wasn't the reason the Red Sox lost, but whenever a pitcher has to get that extra out it brings up his pitch count, thus having to resort to the bullpen sooner. Lester had to get three additional outs because of blown calls. He might have been able to pitch another inning if the umps got it right.

And for the record, I dislike the Red Sox and I've been rooting for the Angels to win the AL. So come now, don't be so ignorant.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Well if that's the case then I guess the Red Sox fans should feel better because last night Weaver had 2, 3-2 counts on hitters where the next pitch was a strike but called a ball by the same dumbass umpire who was at firstbase the night before. So, Weaver had to throw extra pitches.

Oh and the Twins must have gotten fucked good last night. Figures...the Yankees need the help from the Umps to beat the Twins. Pathetic.

[quote name='Setzer']Oh and the Twins must have gotten fucked good last night. Figures...the Yankees need the help from the Umps to beat the Twins. Pathetic.[/QUOTE]

More retard comments. Awesome...

Tonights Rockies/Phillies game got ppd due to snow. Huge break for the Phillies as they can move Lee to game 4 and Hamels to game 5.

What I love the most is when the conspiracy nuts start claiming stuff like the umpire blew the call on purpose, and that the networks are covering it up...even though TBS showed the replay a few times.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']What I love the most is when the conspiracy nuts start claiming stuff like the umpire blew the call on purpose, and that the networks are covering it up...even though TBS showed the replay a few times.[/QUOTE]

Espn showed it at least 1000 times.

[quote name='Setzer']:lol:

Well if that's the case then I guess the Red Sox fans should feel better because last night Weaver had 2, 3-2 counts on hitters where the next pitch was a strike but called a ball by the same dumbass umpire who was at firstbase the night before. So, Weaver had to throw extra pitches.

Oh and the Twins must have gotten fucked good last night. Figures...the Yankees need the help from the Umps to beat the Twins. Pathetic.[/QUOTE]

so Nathan blowing it the ninth and leaving 17 on base
surely had nothing to do with it.

[quote name='integralsmatic']so Nathan blowing it the ninth and leaving 17 on base
surely had nothing to do with it.[/QUOTE]

You forgot to mention that all 3 runs for the Twins came after the Yankees pitchers getting squeezed on pitches that should have been called strike 3 to end the inning.

Bye Bye Cards. Thanks for playing. Who would have thought that Pujols, Wainwright, Carpenter, Molina, Holliday and Ludwick would get swept in the first round by the Dodgers. That is the MVP, the Cy Young winner, Cy Young runner up, best catcher in the nl and 2 corner OF studs. Holliday dropping the ball changed that series. That and the Cards going like 4-30 with RISP.

[quote name='wildcpac']You forgot to mention that all 3 runs for the Twins came after the Yankees pitchers getting squeezed on pitches that should have been called strike 3 to end the inning.[/QUOTE]

See, even that I wouldn't complain about. I didn't think Burnett was impressive in the least as his command was all over the place. Both teams had chances to score. Minnesota blew theirs, and the Yankees came through when they needed to (blowing a 2 run lead in the bottom of the 9th is inexcusable). That's baseball.

Some people hate on the Yankees just because they're the Yankees, and can't even give them credit when they play the game the right way or make big plays when they need them. All that shows is a huge bias and a lack of baseball intelligence. Obviously, not everyone likes the Yanks. But give credit where credit is due.

It was great to see such a strong performance from the Dodgers. Bring on the Phillies! I want Philly to beat Colorado so Jayson Werth can continue playing, and the Dodgers can hopefully get revenge from last year.

bread's done
Back