2010 MMA Gaming Preview Thread - UFC Undisputed: 2010 and EA Sports MMA

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I think Gamesharing would be a great idea in this situation for people who don't want to sign up for the UFC/UFC Undisputed site.

Also, sounds great. I think the actual stand up looked kinda weird though, maybe a bit tooo fast?[/QUOTE]

It takes like 2 minutes to sign up for the site. It's not like some weird subscription or spam thing. It's a community...just like this one. Besides, how the hell would you "gameshare" an Xbox 360 demo?

I wish this demo had online play. That's about the only thing that could have made it better... that and a tutorial. They could have at least included a brief tutorial covering the new additions- I imagine they'll have one in the final game- but maybe even a full tutorial for new people. Hell, I probably could have stood another run through a tutorial, since whatever skill I had is gone now.

Hopefully I get as into this one as I did the last one. Granted, I had a lot fewer games a year ago, but pretty much the only time I turned on my 360 between the demo's release and the actual game's release, was to play the demo.

Can't wait for a CAG fight camp!

[quote name='Matt Young']

Can't wait for a CAG fight camp![/QUOTE]

Sad thing is, we would have a lot of people who will want to run it

I of course could teach people how to slam.....since nate dissed me last night when I asked him how to sub people

"Just slam them non stop like you use too"

I hate you Nate.

Maybe you can have multiple trainers. Really, I don't see why there would have to be a "head trainer". I'd imagine all could train together. But, if there is a head trainer, it has to be Nate. No question.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Sad thing is, we would have a lot of people who will want to run it

I of course could teach people how to slam.....since nate dissed me last night when I asked him how to sub people

"Just slam them non stop like you use too"

I hate you Nate.[/QUOTE]

Haha, yes, but did it not work? I just couldn't believe you were asking me. I was like "WTF? Is Gary having memory loss? Slam, slam, knee bar." I thought that was the formula. I'm just thankful it's harder to slam people this year. My back STILL hurts.

As for trainers, I doubt there will be any official designation in the game...at most maybe just for the camp creator. But in practice, my guess is just that anybody can work together and it's just like a "practice mode". It would be kinda neat if they somehow worked the tutorial in with that, so you could try to specifically target a move or whatever, and see a visual representation of what you're supposed to be doing. It seems like they've put a lot into fight camps though (considering how much they're touting them on the website), so hopefully it's even deeper than I imagine.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Haha, yes, but did it not work? I just couldn't believe you were asking me. I was like "WTF? Is Gary having memory loss? Slam, slam, knee bar." I thought that was the formula. I'm just thankful it's harder to slam people this year. My back STILL hurts.

As for trainers, I doubt there will be any official designation in the game...at most maybe just for the camp creator. But in practice, my guess is just that anybody can work together and it's just like a "practice mode". It would be kinda neat if they somehow worked the tutorial in with that, so you could try to specifically target a move or whatever, and see a visual representation of what you're supposed to be doing. It seems like they've put a lot into fight camps though (considering how much they're touting them on the website), so hopefully it's even deeper than I imagine.[/QUOTE]

LoL. You know I love you in that Hetrosexual way lol. Your my Buddy guy!! :D lol.

Anyways, yeah it was like 3 in the morning or so. My Memmory was all fuxored up. Also, I found it easy to slam them non stop. Same slam but still. Maybe slamming is just stuck in my head. Also, slamming off the cage is awesome. :D

I'm putting my money down this week for it. Can't wait for it honestly.

[quote name='Matt Young']If only this game let you record crowd taunts like MLB 10 does:

"SPAM THE SLAM! SPAM THE SLAM!"[/QUOTE]

That's actually an amazing idea. I would want crowd taunts based on the arena, so you could exagerrate how the locals talk. Like for Canada you could be like "Take heem dowan, eh!" or in Memphis you could be like "Beat dat boeh's ass!" Ah man, that shit would be awesome.

It would be nice if the crowd would yell out fighter-specific taunts, if nothing else. They could also chant guy's names (obviously, your chosen nickname for your CAF).

[quote name='Matt Young']It would be nice if the crowd would yell out fighter-specific taunts, if nothing else. They could also chant guy's names (obviously, your chosen nickname for your CAF).[/QUOTE]

Well, they already chant "Ma-chi-da!" I don't know about chants for CAFs, but I'd hope that isn't the only chant in the game.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I wonder if they chant "Boring, Boring" I think that would be funny as hell if your having a really boring match. lol[/QUOTE]

I've heard the crowd boo loudly when I was only going for leg kicks and moving backwards.

I can send you a free poster of Matt Young if you'd like. It's a pose similar to the one Shawn Michaels did for a Raw Magazine centerfold in the mid-90's.

[quote name='Matt Young']I can send you a free poster of Matt Young if you'd like. It's a pose similar to the one Shawn Michaels did for a Raw Magazine centerfold in the mid-90's.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I'd prefer one like this

mattyoungbook.jpg

:)

Holy fuck... I didn't see that till now. LMAO! That's going on Facebook.

Dennis Rodman was my favorite player after he joined the Bulls in 1995. I own that book, too!

But on to what I came here for... demo is out for all the people like Gary who were too lazy to register for the UFC Community.

[quote name='Matt Young']Holy fuck... I didn't see that till now. LMAO! That's going on Facebook.

Dennis Rodman was my favorite player after he joined the Bulls in 1995. I own that book, too!

But on to what I came here for... demo is out for all the people like Gary who were too lazy to register for the UFC Community.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I was gonna say...took you long enough.

Also, Gary was only lazy the first night. He's had the demo for a few days now though.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Haha, I was gonna say...took you long enough.

Also, Gary was only lazy the first night. He's had the demo for a few days now though.[/QUOTE]

That is true! lol. Thanks for that nate. Plus, I forgot to post in here but I told Nate. I actually had the doctor come take a look at Rampage Jackson. The first time the Doctor OK'd him. Second time the doctor shook his head no and Rampage was pissed off. So they hold up my hand and said "TKO by way of Doctor Stoppage"

I thought that was awesome really.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']For anybody who hasn't seen a doctor stoppage yet, I found this Youtube video. Obviously, these guys were trying to make it happen, so the fight is a little ridiculous, but hopefully it will be something that happens naturally in the full game from time to time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbDIocZnyjM[/QUOTE]

What do you mean, I can totally see people fighting like this online. Its not like there is any super-takedowns or special advantage to being on top on the ground....oh, wait. :rofl:

Just played the 2010 demo for a bit...seems more or less the same to me. Also, they're insane not to include the tutorial with the demo. I only played the demo of the original (which had a tutorial), so I have no idea how to do anything outside of striking.

ill be picking it up.. but atleast from the limited time with the demo.. it did feel pretty much identical.

And still no ring entrances....ughhhhh

Thinking about getting this at GS since I like their dlc fighters better.

I think everyone felt the demo played somewhat the same as 09, but you really need time to get into it and learn some of the stuff. Once you figure out more of the game (even the striking is more...evolved) you will see that 10 has a lot of extra stuff hidden within the game.

I am very...intrigued to see what the final game will bring though, as playing with only four fighters is a little tough to see exactly what to expect.

Man, I wish the demo would have had those 16 fighters. :shock:

I'm going to try to practice a hell of a lot more during the next few days, starting tomorrow. I still opnly have single digit fights under my belt. Gonna go back to 2009, do the tutorial, finish off the fights with 10-15 fighters I need for the 40-point "Use Every Fighter" achievement and complete the remaining classic fights, then move on exclusively to the demo.

I'm going to get the game at Gamestop, same as last year, for the bonus fighters. I really want to pound in Roy Nelson's face with Marcus Jones.

[quote name='ProggleRock']Just played the 2010 demo for a bit...seems more or less the same to me. Also, they're insane not to include the tutorial with the demo. I only played the demo of the original (which had a tutorial), so I have no idea how to do anything outside of striking.[/QUOTE]

No offense, but how is anyone supposed to take this opinion seriously? You openly admit you have little experience with last year's game, but then state that 2010 looks to be "more or less the same". I've seen at least 20 things that are different already...just from the demo. The most noticeable thing is probably that the stand up game is much faster. Then you've got things like the sway system, cage work, clinch grappling, new submissions, etc. I'll admit that a tutorial highlighting all these changes would have been a smart way to let you know that they exist. But this is a ridiculously deep game. It's not really fair to make snap judgments based on spending 10 minutes with the demo.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']No offense, but how is anyone supposed to take this opinion seriously? You openly admit you have little experience with last year's game, but then state that 2010 looks to be "more or less the same". I've seen at least 20 things that are different already...just from the demo. The most noticeable thing is probably that the stand up game is much faster. Then you've got things like the sway system, cage work, clinch grappling, new submissions, etc. I'll admit that a tutorial highlighting all these changes would have been a smart way to let you know that they exist. But this is a ridiculously deep game. It's not really fair to make snap judgments based on spending 10 minutes with the demo.[/QUOTE]

Like I said in my 3-sentence post: The only other experience I have with this series is the '09 demo. My opinion is about as valid as that of someone who's only watched the commercials. I'm not exactly writing a review for Game Informer, so no need to get your panties all in a bunch.

Just to weigh in on the demo real quick, I absolutely hate how you have to use the shine for takedowns/takedown defense now...... I just want to mash the buttons for that. I like how you have to use the shine on submissions but for takedowns I just don't have enough damn time to get my hand over the right stick to shine and then quickly get it back to the buttons and triggers..... I just hate it. Other than that my only other complaint is no tutorial, MY GOD this demo needs a tutorial as bad as any I've ever played. I played a lot of Undisputed '09 but haven't in a long time and good lord I have forgotten the majority of the controls, at least the advanced stuff. Couple that with the fact that I've been playing Fight Night Round 4 lately and whoosh it's a recipe for disaster. First thing I'm going to do when I get the game is head straight to the tutorial. I fear though that even with a lot of practice this game may fall victim to the Madden disease, by that I mean make the controls so complex and convoluted that it sucks the fun out of the game and turns it into a chore to play instead. I hope I'm wrong about that but I don't know, the jury is still out.

The demo is very good, save for 2 very frustrating aspects:

1) Even on the easiest difficulty, it is impossible to submit someone. I've drained a fighter's stamina almost completely, gained the mount, then applied a submission and did the shine. My stamina depleted as my opponent just laid there and took it like it was nothing.

2) The minor transition you're supposed to do to get the opponent's hands off your head when you're in the mount- it doesn't work 9 out of 10 times. It just sends you back to side control. And I know I'm doing the motion exactly right, because it works for every other type of minor transition in the game.

[quote name='Matt Young']The demo is very good, save for 2 very frustrating aspects:

1) Even on the easiest difficulty, it is impossible to submit someone. I've drained a fighter's stamina almost completely, gained the mount, then applied a submission and did the shine. My stamina depleted as my opponent just laid there and took it like it was nothing.

2) The minor transition you're supposed to do to get the opponent's hands off your head when you're in the mount- it doesn't work 9 out of 10 times. It just sends you back to side control. And I know I'm doing the motion exactly right, because it works for every other type of minor transition in the game.[/QUOTE]

1. Use Machida and fight Shogun. Spam slams. Then when he's rocked, click the right stick. It's a cheap way to get a submission, but you'll at least see how it's supposed to work. It was just like this with last year's demo though, remember? Last year we only had Liddell and Shogun, and neither was well versed in submissions. This year, Machida has the highest submission offense, but he's still not a guy who uses them very often. Hopefully, with hardcore BJJ guys, submissions will be easier. Otherwise, they'll have to patch it...like last year.

2. This does seem harder than it needs to be. For this one, I'd use Rampage just so you have a big ground and pound guy. The only way I've been able to get it to work is to transition away from your opponents head. Like if you have him mounted with his head on the right, transition up and to the left...or even down and to the left. Just make sure the motion is very small. When done right, you should see your guy push away from your opponent. Then you can hold the left stick back to fully posture up and start raining down punches. The camera will spin around to the front to give you a really nice view of the strikes. Hopefully the controls will be a little tighter in the final product though.

[quote name='moojuice']http://www.giantbomb.com/form-a-fight-camp-with-your-friends-in-ufc-undisputed-2010/17-2493/
Fight Camp stuff.

Also, I've been purposely staying away from the demo after a few runs so that I will play the tutorial and pick up the cheesemint for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't touch the tutorial. In fact, I never got the tutorial achievement for UFC 2009, and I got the tutorial achievement for NHL 10 about a month after release.[/QUOTE]

That's actually not a bad idea. I've probably put about 3-4 hours into the demo, and I feel like I've seen everything is has to offer. It just seems kinda limited with the types of fighters you can use and the things they can do. My guess is the full game will have a lot of things we haven't even been able to try yet. The tutorial will definitely be useful.

Also, watching that video you posted, Alan, it looks like we finally got some confirmation on being able to customize banners (at least for online fights). I was going to be really disappointed if they left that out this year because it seemed like such a simple thing, and very similar to customizing shorts. I doubt we'll be able to import our own images, but at least we can have like a "team logo". That's pretty awesome.

Just saw on Gamestop's site that stores are having an "Ultimate Fighter Tournament" on June 5th. Unfortunately, the closest store to me that is doing it is 2 hours away. They've got some pretty cool prizes though, including UFC gear and even a replica championship belt (how lame is it that I want one? lol)

http://www.gamestop.com/UFCtournament

Hm, unless I'm reading it wrong, the winner of each tournament gets a chance to get the belt :/

And yeah, hopefully the demo will be more elaborate and cover new features.

[quote name='moojuice']Hm, unless I'm reading it wrong, the winner of each tournament gets a chance to get the belt :/[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it does sound that way. Surprisingly, there are a lot of replica UFC belts in existence. I saw some really top notch ones on eBay (which is probably what GS is giving away) that cost a couple hundred bucks. But then, I also found this, haha.

http://www.amazon.com/UFC-4169-Belt...e=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1274243003&sr=8-1

There's even a WEC belt and a Pride belt. Obviously, these ones are kids toys, but that almost makes more sense than someone buying a $300 high-quality replica of a belt that they didn't earn, lol. I mean, unless you're wearing it around town (oh my God, that would make an amazing Youtube video), the one made by Jakk's is probably plenty good enough to hang on a wall or something. Not really the kind of thing I NEED right now, haha. But still interesting information to be aware of.

Hmm... They usually have this stuff at one of the stores here in Riverside, but not this time. I don't know if it's worth traveling 20 minutes to Corona to get beaten down.

The replica belt is worth around $300 and yeah you have to win a tournament just to have a chance to win the belt. It doesn't say if they are giving away more than one.

So, uh, branching off on my idea from earlier, I started looking at random "UFC" videos on Youtube. And wow...there is a ridiculous amount of kids fighting trying to pull off armbars and shit. Just search for "UFC Kids" if you want to see some hilarious stuff. But by far, the one that takes the cake is this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh_B4JgiA28

Can we say "bad parent"? lol. WOW...

[quote name='whiptcracker']Rumor has it that THQ will require a code that will be included in new copies of the game in order to be played online.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't surprise me. EA has already laid the foundation for these practices. My only problem with it is if companies want to start doing this kind of crap, they better make damn sure the game performs great online on day one. No lag, no glitches, no exploits. If online is going to be looked at as this special "bonus" mode, it needs to be worth it.

bread's done
Back