2010 World Cup Netherlands vs Spain

[quote name='Wolve11']Say what you want, he's got a very united Argentina that really enjoy having him as a coach. It seems to be a winning formula. I really don't like his arrogance though, and during the games he's more of the comic relief with his antics than a serious coach, but it is working for Argentina.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, the Argentinian team is the complete opposite of what was going on with the French camp. BTW I am seriously going through WC withdrawals, I have watched every single game at work and it made the days go by a hell of alot faster when the games where on.

Maradona is actually getting all the media attention focusing on him and less on his players. If they lose people are going to say it is Maradona's fault, and not that Messi failed to score.

Wow Netherlands - they have found their way through the Brazilian defense and are actually playing some nice defense holding back the Brazilian offense.

Wow - red card - Brazil is falling apart.

If Brazil loses, I riot

....because they got all those hot females. Argentina isn't know for them. Uragay isn't! Damn Ghana isn't!!!!

Well Brazil is getting hosed just a little....their diving is mix in with legit fouls they are not getting. How Van Brommel didnt go off already is crazy. He has been called for at least 5-6 fouls by himself.

Brazil just lost their head for 5 min and that cost them the game.

Thank God! I was dying to see Holland make it into the Finals, and it looks like they have an amazing chance to do that. Peace out Brazil, see your overrated asses in 4 years :cool:

fuck yeah!!! fuck yeah!!!! Netherlands did it!!! We're gonna see a new champ this year!!!! My dream final Netherlands - Argentina or Uruguay - Argentina, now Spain needs to get kicked out.

I called my family in the Netherlands and they are going crazy. The whole country is lightened up partying. My house is going crazy too. Woohoo, we finally have a good chance to win this thing! I love it!

Holland was better on the second half, but the defender/goalie blunder cost Brazil the game. After that, they were not the same. I won't blame the pitch for anything, but I hope they don't play anymore games at that stadium. It wasn't even good enough for High school soccer.

ept_sports_sow_experts-286622511-1277917891.jpg

That was an awesome game. Brazil is obviously the best, but I'll still bet the coverage in the US portrays the Dutch as some shocking underdog, which they're not. They're one of the 4 or 5 best teams in the world.

I have to say im surprised but i can't be too shocked. ITs not like the NEtherlands are bad. They were always good.

I cant believe Melo unraveled like that. What an ass!

Netherlands will be short handed in the next round as two key player Nigel De Jong and Gregory Van Der Wiel will both miss the next match due to bookings. So we will see how Van Marwijk puts in there to contain either Ghana/Uruguay...but those match ups both favor the dutch.

[quote name='bvharris']That was an awesome game. Brazil is obviously the best, but I'll still bet the coverage in the US portrays the Dutch as some shocking underdog, which they're not. They're one of the 4 or 5 best teams in the world.[/QUOTE]

Brazil was obviously the best during the 1st half, the second half was a different story. Its like Brazil went out during the 1st half and ran out of gas during the 2nd. I just hope they dont fire Dunga, they should really give him a shot for 2014.

[quote name='wildcpac']Uruguay ties it up with 35 minutes to go.[/QUOTE]

Uruguay is taking it to them. Suarez is gonna break through if they keep giving him chances.

[quote name='KingBroly']That was an assholish last shot from Uraguay. Still though, they shouldn't be advancing.[/QUOTE]

Don't hate the player, hate the game. The difference was the keeper, and the Ghana keeper was simply not as good.

[quote name='lordopus99']
ept_sports_sow_experts-286622511-1277917891.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That picture is awesome! Got any others? ;)

What a crazy day of soccer. Brazil goes down and Ghana gets a devastating ending/loss; not that I care, though, after the way the beat us.

[quote name='KingBroly']That was an assholish last shot from Uraguay. Still though, they shouldn't be advancing.[/QUOTE]

Ghana shouldn't have won the game against the USA, but who's counting...karma....

Yeah I forget the score was actually 18-2 USA when we played against Ghana. I kept thinking, how did they miss that eight? Silly refs.

[quote name='dragonjud']Don't hate the player, hate the game. The difference was the keeper, and the Ghana keeper was simply not as good.[/QUOTE]

No, the player that got the red card for Uraguay sent their ass to the semis.

Suarez's handball victory is insane. I have to say, I'm glad Uruguay (not Uraguay) won because now one of their star players will be sitting in the stands watching the game instead of playing against the Netherlands.
It would've been nice to see a USA vs Netherlands game, but it wasn't meant to be.
I wish I didn't have to work on Tuesday.
Its been a great set of games. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's games. Hopefully those quarter finals will be just as good as today's set.

[quote name='KingBroly']No, the player that got the red card for Uraguay sent their ass to the semis.[/QUOTE]

That really bothered me about the game, since Ghana would have been going if he didn't do that.

[quote name='whoknows']That really bothered me about the game, since Ghana would have been going if he didn't do that.[/QUOTE]

Boo-hoo, cry me a river. Those are the rules of the game. He got a a red card, and will miss the next game (he's a key player for them). All Ghana had to do was convert that penalty. They missed.

I would feel sorry, but wait, the way the Ghana players faked injuries and wasted time at the end of the U.S. match reminds me that 'Karma is a b****.'

Last edited by a moderator:
every team has players that would fake injuries at the end of the game to roll the clock.
Your beloved US team has players begging for yellow cards, just as much as my beloved Netherlands team does. It disgusts me every time I see a player do it, but don't call out one team for doing it, just because they beat your team when if the US would've been in front, they would've done the same thing.

But as the announcer said in the game: One of the cruelest eliminations I've seen in a long time.

[quote name='Wolve11']every team has players that would fake injuries at the end of the game to roll the clock.
Your beloved US team has players begging for yellow cards, just as much as my beloved Netherlands team does. It disgusts me every time I see a player do it, but don't call out one team for doing it, just because they beat your team when if the US would've been in front, they would've done the same thing.

But as the announcer said in the game: One of the cruelest eliminations I've seen in a long time.[/QUOTE]

Who said I was cheering for my loved U.S. team? I do, however, remember when a team takes it to the extreme, and Ghana did so more than any other team in this worldcup (the time wasting and faking injury against the U.S.)

Faking injury, diving, time wasting are all part of the game (ugly as they may be). Ghana played a decent game today, but their attack throughout the cup has consisted of lucky long balls to their single forward. That just got too boring to watch, so I'm glad they're gone. I'd rather not see any overtime or pk the rest of the tournament...although we all know that as the tournament goes on, teams risk less and less.

[quote name='dragonjud']Who said I was cheering for my loved U.S. team? I do, however, remember when a team takes it to the extreme, and Ghana did so more than any other team in this worldcup (the time wasting and faking injury against the U.S.)

Faking injury, diving, time wasting are all part of the game (ugly as they may be). Ghana played a decent game today, but their attack throughout the cup has consisted of lucky long balls to their single forward. That just got too boring to watch, so I'm glad they're gone. I'd rather not see any overtime or pk the rest of the tournament...although we all know that as the tournament goes on, teams risk less and less.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with Ghana being worse than any other team with their time wasting and injury faking. I figured you were cheering for the US because you obviously carry some type of resentment for Ghana beating the USA. It is always different when the team you support is subjected to it.

I think it's a strange rule. One team loses a sure goal and is then given make-up chance that cannot match the situation they had in terms of difficulty/placement. The other team pays for their transgression in their next game.

Doesn't seem equivalent. I could probably think up examples in other sports where an analogous situation results in more even handed rulings, but my sports knowledge is amateurish at best, so I won't venture suggestions.

[quote name='Strell']I think it's a strange rule. One team loses a sure goal and is then given make-up chance that cannot match the situation they had in terms of difficulty/placement. The other team pays for their transgression in their next game.

Doesn't seem equivalent. I could probably think up examples in other sports where an analogous situation results in more even handed rulings, but my sports knowledge is amateurish at best, so I won't venture suggestions.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, i wish they gave Ghana the goal. Kinda like in basketball when a player goal-tends the points are given to them.

The problem is:

1. goals are a lot more important than baskets made since they are so rare.

2. There's never a way to tell for sure if the ball would have went in the goal/basket if not interfered with. The one today was clearly going in, but other handball in the box situations aren't, and rules have to be consistent and not fluid from situation to situation.

[quote name='Wolve11']I disagree with Ghana being worse than any other team with their time wasting and injury faking. I figured you were cheering for the US because you obviously carry some type of resentment for Ghana beating the USA. It is always different when the team you support is subjected to it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about the whole team being worse. But the Ghana player straying down, being carried off on a stretcher, then bouncing back up and running right on the field when he got to the sideline was one of the more extreme examples of injury faking I've seen.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'm not sure about the whole team being worse. But the Ghana player straying down, being carried off on a stretcher, then bouncing back up and running right on the field when he got to the sideline was one of the more extreme examples of injury faking I've seen.[/QUOTE]

IIRC the guy didnt even get touched either. just fell over.

[quote name='dmaul1114']The problem is:

1. goals are a lot more important than baskets made since they are so rare.

2. There's never a way to tell for sure if the ball would have went in the goal/basket if not interfered with. The one today was clearly going in, but other handball in the box situations aren't, and rules have to be consistent and not fluid from situation to situation.[/QUOTE]

Yeap. As much as I hate it, both of these are big reasons as to why that happened.

The Executioner must be tearing his house down right now in enjoyment seeing Germany just destroying Argentina. South American Teams dropping like flies...and I also take everything back about the German squad....This squad is soooo high energy and just out classed Argentina.

[quote name='integralsmatic']The Executioner must be tearing his house down right now in enjoyment seeing Germany just destroying Argentina. South American Teams dropping like flies...and I also take everything back about the German squad....This squad is soooo high energy and just out classed Argentina.[/QUOTE]

Ok, hands up, who had Uruguay going farther than Argentina and Brazil? Although I think Spain wins later it would be funny to have two South American teams in the semis, neither of whom were Brazil or Argentina.

Looks to me like Europe is taking home another Cup.

Maradona is so incredibly arrogant, I'm happy Argentina is out.

EDIT: now its 4-0? If only Maradona channeled the Hand of God...

From an ESPN article about a potential ban from Suarez:

"To think that Suarez, when he committed the handball, knew what was going to happen afterward would be something superhuman," the coach said. "The hand of Suarez is the hand of God and the Virgin Mary -- that's how Uruguayans see it."

And this....is why every country is different and also why I'll never underestimate the power of sports. Nobody in America would say this, and if they did, they would be looked at crazily.

I've had the biggest soccer boner for over 2 hours now.

Today turned out muuuuch better than I had hoped for. I expected a 2-1 win, or something similar, but it seems that Germany have a thing for scoring 4 goals - which is fine by me. I only wish that Podolski could have put his name up on the board with everyone else.

I wish I could feel bad for Argentina, but I don't. There's been an air of South American arrogance in this tournament that I don't care much for, and I'm glad Brazil and Argentina got the door shown to them - especially with the clean sheet today. You could see it in the Brazilian and Argentinian teams every time they didn't get their way on a specific call - getting in referees' faces, throwing their arms around, etc. All I have to say to that kind of attitude is: peace out!

Poor Müller receiving that laughable yellow card today. I really hope that Özil can pick up the slack that his absence will leave in the Semifinals. I'm so happy that Germany are guaranteed at least two more games - and I hope that Klose can improve upon his performance today.

There needs to be a .gif image of Maradona saying "nervoushhh Schwensteiger?" (his corny line from one of the pregame conferences) followed by Bastion's cut through Argentina's defense which led to the Friedrich goal and the subsequent look on Maradona's face. All talk, no talent.

You can look at the scoreline from today in many different ways:
Germany 4 - Argentina 0

The Wrath of God

Ball boy 1 - Fat boy 0

:lol:

----------
[quote name='integralsmatic']The Executioner must be tearing his house down right now in enjoyment seeing Germany just destroying Argentina.[/QUOTE]The house is still standing, but if Paraguay wins it today then it'll get torn down.

[quote name='wildcpac']Germany just kicked a ton of ass today. What an ass whooping that was.[/QUOTE]How about a nice temporary title change to reflect said ass whooping? :cool:

----------

Time to celebrate!!!

wow....
If Germany and the Netherlands face off in the final it would be amazing. Of course I'd hope the Dutch would win, especially having lost twice in the finals already. Still it would be a great game.
Germany was so solid and kept pressuring the ball carrier, which really put the Argentine players in awkward positions. I think this was the key to their success and it really took Messi out of the game. Nobody expected that big of a blowout. Great game.

Now lets see if Spain can beat this surprising Paraguay team.

bread's done
Back