2010 World Cup Netherlands vs Spain

why in the world did they wait until we took the ball back to call the game? they could have called it 20 seconds ago when Ghana crossed midfield.

Ghana spent more than 10 minutes laying on their back and all the refs award is 3 lousy fucking minutes. Get the fuck out of here.

Just awful, awful.

US is never going anywhere if they don't find some players up front who can not shit the bed in one one one chances, and find a defense that isn't swiss cheese to counter attacks.

Oh well. Couple of great matches tomorrow!

ESPN and ABC have to be thrilled and the tanking in ratings they'll see now though. :D

I hope Uruguay knocks these guys out. They've been riding on luck and ugly soccer for a long time. It's a damn shame they've made it this far.

Further proof that the US is never going to go anywhere in international soccer. I don't really see a way clear for them to getting any better than they have been this time around.

Interest will almost certainly evaporate in the US again. We'll be back in four years for the next "has soccer arrived in the United States?" discussion.

Just damn frustrating. We'll probably never have a path to the semi-finals devoid of power teams again in our lifetimes. You seldom get that lucky in the draw.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']well im taking a 3 year break from soccer. see you at the gold cup.[/QUOTE]

What about the 2012 Olympics?

[quote name='dragonjud']I hope Uruguay knocks these guys out. They've been riding on luck and ugly soccer for a long time. It's a damn shame they've made it this far.[/QUOTE]

They've made it to the final 8 missing their best player for the entire tournament. At some point that's more than luck.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Just damn frustrating. We'll probably never have a path to the semi-finals devoid of power teams again in our lifetimes. You seldom get that lucky in the draw.[/QUOTE]

Nope, this was probably the best chance they'll have for a long time. If they couldn't make a deep run here, they're never going to.

[quote name='KillerRamen']Eh... I think that's the last soccer game I watch. I just didn't care for it.[/QUOTE]

Echoed by millions of Americans at the moment I'd imagine.

Ultimately the fact that people were drawn in with the exciting way the US advanced and then met with a sucker punch reminder that they are in no way an international power (or close to it) is going to do more damage than good to interest in US soccer I'd imagine.

[quote name='bvharris']Echoed by millions of Americans at the moment I'd imagine.

Ultimately the fact that people were drawn in with the exciting way the US advanced and then met with a sucker punch reminder that they are in no way an international power (or close to it) is going to do more damage than good to interest in US soccer I'd imagine.[/QUOTE]

Americans have trouble getting behind Soccer for many reasons. One of them is because of the way soccer rewards faking injuries and purposefully delaying the game when the ball isn't in play in the closing minutes. America calls that poor sportsmanship. The rest of the world calls it gamesmanship.

GHANA'S GONNA GHANA

Good game US. Played hard but missed some opportunities. Get some faster defense.

Lots of fun to watch though.

[quote name='wildcpac']Ghana spent more than 10 minutes laying on their back and all the refs award is 3 lousy fucking minutes. Get the fuck out of here.[/QUOTE]Welcome to soccer :cool:

[quote name='paddlefoot']Americans have trouble getting behind Soccer for many reasons. One of them is because of the way soccer rewards faking injuries and purposefully delaying the game when the ball isn't in play in the closing minutes. America calls that poor sportsmanship. The rest of the world calls it gamesmanship.[/QUOTE]Any player on any team, including the US players, would have done the exact same thing: found a nice soft spot on the pitch and just chill there for as long as possible. It's not just a foreign thing.

I think a more authoritative referee would have cut that out sooner, but even the commentators mentioned the tiny amount of yellow cards that the game's referee had previously handed out.

----------

Smell you later, US. You'll always be the guy at the party who everyone looks at and asks "What's he doing here?" - as made evident by this game.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Welcome to soccer :cool:

Any player on any team, including the US players, would have done the exact same thing: found a nice soft spot on the pitch and just chill there for as long as possible. It's not just a foreign thing.

I think a more authoritative referee would have cut that out sooner, but even the commentators mentioned the tiny amount of yellow cards that the game's referee had previously handed out.

----------

Smell you later, US. You'll always be the guy at the party who everyone looks at and asks "What's he doing here?" - as made evident by this game.[/QUOTE]

So exactly what part of my post was incorrect?

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']So exactly what part of my post stated that you were incorrect?[/QUOTE]

Nothing, I just didn't quite understand what you were responding to. I get my hopes up every 4 years, but realistically it will probably never happen. We can't get by having our least skilled athletes playing the sport (except for rare cases). Even worse when kids born and raised in New Jersey play for other countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='anubis20']Damn it Honduras yesterday, the US today, every friggin team im following is getting kicked out.[/QUOTE]

please dont follow england :D

nah just playing.

Ill be rootin for England because of Stevie G and Jamie Carragher. at least I can still support them through Liverpool.

The US had a disastrous first couple minutes and disastrous ending minutes otherwise they played great. the US has some figuriing out to do. I think charlie Davies was too much a blow. Findley cant cut it as a striker and Altidore just struggled throughout the games. They also need an attacking minded midfielder. Too many holes for this team to take down the black stars. Oh well. Good showing US but not good enough

US didn't show up the first half. They were a mess - I think maybe anxious - maybe a little cocky thinking the game was gonna be breeze - conceding in 5 mins. just threw them way off. Second half they looked good but by overtime they lost a lot of steam. Where was Altidore the whole game?!? Edu didn't do much either. US has pretty spotty first touch and often doesn't win/challenge balls in the air at midfield (saw a lot of this in the US/England game also). They couldn't handle/defend Ghana's speed. I think we really just got out-played here unfortunately.

[quote name='integralsmatic']please dont follow england :D

nah just playing.

Ill be rootin for England because of Stevie G and Jamie Carragher. at least I can still support them through Liverpool.

The US had a disastrous first couple minutes and disastrous ending minutes otherwise they played great. the US has some figuriing out to do. I think charlie Davies was too much a blow. Findley cant cut it as a striker and Altidore just struggled throughout the games. They also need an attacking minded midfielder. Too many holes for this team to take down the black stars. Oh well. Good showing US but not good enough[/QUOTE]

Im not, Argentina and Netherlands are my teams from now on. Hope they both make it to the end so we can have a badass final.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Americans have trouble getting behind Soccer for many reasons. One of them is because of the way soccer rewards faking injuries and purposefully delaying the game when the ball isn't in play in the closing minutes. America calls that poor sportsmanship. The rest of the world calls it gamesmanship.[/QUOTE]

That because they prefer a sport in which the winning team can take a knee to run out the clock, or a sport in which you must retaliate if you teammate got hit. They also prefer endless substitution, such as the manager taking all day to the mound to give player time to warm up

37380_417987330888_648520888_4520214_4018944_n.jpg

Judging from the posts a lot of people were watching soccer only during the world cup. It's hard to develop soccer in a nation that offers so many sports for growing young children. The US has come a long way and should be proud. Other countries will usually be superior. Maybe one day some rich folks will heavily invest in the MLS and make the league interesting for tons of superstars to go to. When the MLS grows and interest grows thenmaybe the youth will choose soccer instead of the other sports. But due to the love a d money invested in football and baseball etc the amount of exposure the MLS and thus the US players get will be limited and success will be minimal. It is possible though.

[quote name='62t']That because they prefer a sport in which the winning team can take a knee to run out the clock, or a sport in which you must retaliate if you teammate got hit. They also prefer endless substitution, such as the manager taking all day to the mound to give player time to warm up[/QUOTE]

If you are going to comment on my post at least come up with an argument analogious to other sports in context. How in the world does lying on the ground a half-dozen times waiting for the official to come over in an attempt to milk the clock akin to retaliating by putting a runner on first base via HBP? One is a strategy used in soccer to win at the end of the game while the other is an endlessly argued unwritten rule that has very little to do with the score of the game.

Your point about a reliever is slightly more relavant but still very flawed. It does give the reliever extra time to warm up, but he must still execute when on the mound. Last time I check baseball operated on outs and innings, not minutes and halves. Pitchers don't get free outs for falling off the mound funny.

Taking a knee in American football or running the ball to keep the clock going is in the rule book and doesn't need any type of referee's interpretation as to whether or not it is a foul for embellishment. Soccer has something similar to this strategy when taking the ball into the attacking corner. Furthermore, American football penalizes a team that lets the play clock expire with a 5-yard penalty and a stoppage of the game clock. They also require a team with an injured player in the closing minutes to burn a timeout or a 5-yard penalty after a 4th injury timeout is awarded (if the team has used all 3 timeouts).

Not to mention it isn't like I said that soccer sucks, American sports are better, Ghana didn't deserve to win, or anything that isn't true. All I said is it is one of the reasons the many Americans don't care for the sport. I stated an opinion based on why other people I have met don't care for the game. Although with them it is more faking injury to sell a call as a whole rather than specifically to burn the clock. Sorry if I took your binky.

So after France got knocked out I started rooting for the USA.. Who to root for now.. Suppose I have to go with England since I did live there for a year and have quite a few British friends. Plus, they're the only team remaining on which I know who all the players are.

[quote name='paddlefoot']If you are going to comment on my post at least come up with an argument analogious to other sports in context. How in the world does lying on the ground a half-dozen times waiting for the official to come over in an attempt to milk the clock akin to retaliating by putting a runner on first base via HBP? One is a strategy used in soccer to win at the end of the game while the other is an endlessly argued unwritten rule that has very little to do with the score of the game.

Your point about a reliever is slightly more relavant but still very flawed. It does give the reliever extra time to warm up, but he must still execute when on the mound. Last time I check baseball operated on outs and innings, not minutes and halves. Pitchers don't get free outs for falling off the mound funny.

Taking a knee in American football or running the ball to keep the clock going is in the rule book and doesn't need any type of referee's interpretation as to whether or not it is a foul for embellishment. Soccer has something similar to this strategy when taking the ball into the attacking corner. Furthermore, American football penalizes a team that lets the play clock expire with a 5-yard penalty and a stoppage of the game clock. They also require a team with an injured player in the closing minutes to burn a timeout or a 5-yard penalty after a 4th injury timeout is awarded (if the team has used all 3 timeouts).

Not to mention it isn't like I said that soccer sucks, American sports are better, Ghana didn't deserve to win, or anything that isn't true. All I said is it is one of the reasons the many Americans don't care for the sport. I stated an opinion based on why other people I have met don't care for the game. Although with them it is more faking injury to sell a call as a whole rather than specifically to burn the clock. Sorry if I took your binky.[/QUOTE]
I am just making a point that there are flaws in each sport. It is really the same reason American football and baseball will never catch on in Europe.

[quote name='Wolve11']Judging from the posts a lot of people were watching soccer only during the world cup. It's hard to develop soccer in a nation that offers so many sports for growing young children. The US has come a long way and should be proud. Other countries will usually be superior. Maybe one day some rich folks will heavily invest in the MLS and make the league interesting for tons of superstars to go to. When the MLS grows and interest grows thenmaybe the youth will choose soccer instead of the other sports. But due to the love a d money invested in football and baseball etc the amount of exposure the MLS and thus the US players get will be limited and success will be minimal. It is possible though.[/QUOTE]

Well a lot of people don't watch regular games until the WC in Europe. Sort of like most people don't watch American football until the super bowl.

Well the Dutch, France, and Portugal all have weaker league compare to Germany, England, Spain and Italy. However as result those pro team focus a lot more on player's development. If you showing talent in South America or Europe you people will notice you. In America you are likely being coach by soccer dad or a coach who is also the math teacher. Compare to other American sports where you will find quality coaching at the youngest level. If you read the article I post earlier on Ajax it shows the different approach European had on youth development.

trust me, having been born in Rotterdam and having lived in the Netherlands for 15 years of my life, I know all about the Ajax youth soccer program.
Its a lifestyle in Europe, but it is because soccer is the primary sport too.

Always funny watching the news for "bay area" sports fans. They get interviewed, act as though they've been watching Soccer forever, and know what they are talking about... It's like watching Sharks fans (NHL).

This is from the show Harry(Enfield) and Paul(whitehouse). Its a parody of Jose Mourihno and Didier Drogba when Jose was with Chelsea.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgQld_0vyEU[/media]

Personally, I'm happy it didn't get called :cool:

The Germans got lazy after going up 2-0. I hope they straighten up for this next half - it'd be nice if a Germany/England game didn't go into extra time for once.

Maybe the dinosaurs in charge of Fifa will finally give in. This sport generates a sh**load of money for them, and yet they choose to stay in the stone ages with the way they handle the game. I don't care for either team, but Fifa keeps talking about this fair game sh**t. Guess what? It's not fair when this happens.

Geez, the English keepers might as well go play mid-field. Horrible in that third goal for Germany. Both of them have sucked.

ENGLAND SUCKS!

Maybe i should not follow any team lol. What a joke. England Defense looks like swiss cheese out there.

Well my world cup has ended. both of my teams out and i can care less who wins it now.

bread's done
Back