2011 MLB Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='n8rockerasu'] Their biggest question mark remains though. Against teams that can pitch, they'll be in trouble.
[/QUOTE]

You're going to have to explain why they're in any more trouble than any other team against teams that can pitch. That doesn't really make any sense. Are you saying they'll score fewer runs against teams with good pitching than against teams with bad pitching? I think that's true for everyone. 1-6 start aside, the Red Sox still have a very strong offense on paper. I think what you might be trying to say is that they don't have the pitching or bullpen to win 2-1 or 3-1 games, which I think is debatable.

Their biggest question mark to me is pretty clearly what, if anything, they'll get out of Lackey, Beckett, and Dice-K.

[quote name='bvharris']You're going to have to explain why they're in any more trouble than any other team against teams that can pitch. That doesn't really make any sense. Are you saying they'll score fewer runs against teams with good pitching than against teams with bad pitching? I think that's true for everyone. 1-6 start aside, the Red Sox still have a very strong offense on paper. I think what you might be trying to say is that they don't have the pitching or bullpen to win 2-1 or 3-1 games, which I think is debatable.

Their biggest question mark to me is pretty clearly what, if anything, they'll get out of Lackey, Beckett, and Dice-K.[/QUOTE]

They're in trouble because they can't pitch. They're a team that can score a lot of runs but has very little starting pitching (much like the Yankees). It doesn't matter how good their bullpen is if they can't ever get to them with the lead (much like the Yankees). Teams with good pitching and just a little bit of offense will destroy them (much like the Yankees) because it's far easier for bad hitters to hit bad pitching than it is for good hitters to hit good pitching.

This isn't a "the Yankees are way better than the Red Sox!" argument. This is a "both teams are screwed because their foundation is built on quicksand" argument. I wouldn't bs surprised at all to see a team like Baltimore step up and shock everybody this year. They've built that rotation from within and not many people know what they've got.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']They're in trouble because they can't pitch. They're a team that can score a lot of runs but has very little starting pitching (much like the Yankees).[/QUOTE]

This is profoundly incorrect, bordering on ridiculous. It's probably not worth refuting because I doubt you'd be convinced. I'll assume you're extrapolating based on what's happened so far in the season, which I guess is okay.

Not for nothing did pretty much every single expert pick the Red Sox to win the division. They can very much pitch. Whether their 1-6 start is indicative of the fact that everyone was wrong about them or just a good team having a bad week remains to be seen.. But a broad assertion that the Red Sox "can't pitch" is, quite frankly, mindbogglingly stupid.

[quote name='bvharris']This is profoundly incorrect, bordering on ridiculous. It's probably not worth refuting because I doubt you'd be convinced. I'll assume you're extrapolating based on what's happened so far in the season, which I guess is okay.

Not for nothing did pretty much every single expert pick the Red Sox to win the division. They can very much pitch. Whether their 1-6 start is indicative of the fact that everyone was wrong about them or just a good team having a bad week remains to be seen.. But a broad assertion that the Red Sox "can't pitch" is, quite frankly, mindbogglingly stupid.[/QUOTE]

Keep telling yourself that. Beckett, Lackey, and Matsuzaka are all wildly inconsistent and overrated. Even Lester has been hit hard dating back to the end of last season. The reason everyone picked them is because they're big names. You said it yourself, you don't know what Beckett, Lackey, and Dice-K will contribute. Do you expect to win with two solid pitchers? To me, that sounds crazy.

I'm a Yankee fan. Considering the way they've started the past 5-6 seasons, do you really think I give any credit to what happens in April? I know the Sox aren't even close to out of it. I just don't think they're as good as people thought they were. Their starting pitching is suspect. That's my opinion.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Keep telling yourself that. Beckett, Lackey, and Matsuzaka are all wildly inconsistent and overrated. Even Lester has been hit hard dating back to the end of last season. The reason everyone picked them is because they're big names. You said it yourself, you don't know what Beckett, Lackey, and Dice-K will contribute. Do you expect to win with two solid pitchers? To me, that sounds crazy.

I'm a Yankee fan. Considering the way they've started the past 5-6 seasons, do you really think I give any credit to what happens in April? I know the Sox aren't even close to out of it. I just don't think they're as good as people thought they were. Their starting pitching is suspect. That's my opinion.[/QUOTE]

You're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to think your opinion is based on the fact that you're a Yankee fan and no other insight whatsoever.

If I'd watched just the seven games the Red Sox had played this season and had never seen another baseball game in my life, I would definitely agree that they "can't pitch", fortunately that's not the case.

Lester is a bona fide ace, if you don't agree with that than I'm not sure you've ever watched him pitch. Buchholz, while certainly not there yet, is at this probably moving into the 2nd tier of good young pitchers. His ERA was a bit over his head last season, but if he gets his K rate up he still has the potential to be every bit as good as Lester.

That leaves Beckett (30), Dice-K (30), and Lackey (32) all of whom have had success at the major league level (Dice-K much less so) and none of whom are outside the theoretical "prime" of their careers. For the record I was against the Lackey signing and still am to this day, but at the very worst he's going to be a league average guy and innings eater over the course of the season. Ditto Beckett, who if healthy has shown he's perfectly capable of being a productive pitcher (of course his health is always a question). As for Dice-K, well, he is what he is at this point - a 5 inning pitcher who's going to keep you in the game about as often as he doesn't.

Is it the Phillies rotation? No. Are these guys making more than they are ultimately worth? Probably. But taking finances out of the equation, there are very few teams in the major leagues who would not take the Red Sox rotation if given the chance.

As for winning with "two solid pitchers", even though I don't agree with that assertion, both the 2004 (Pedro and Schilling) and 2007 (Schilling and Beckett) Red Sox won titles with only "two solid pitchers" and a bunch of other starters just filling slots.

Very happy today when I found out the braves beat Cliff Lee. Tomorrow should be interesting throwing Beachy on the mound against Oswalt, but I like our chances. I like this kid personally, and myself, I was never a fan of Oswalt. Not to say he isn't a good pitcher, and maybe those years in Houston is tinting my vision somewhat, but he never scared me. I always viewed him as the #4 guy with Cole being the #3.

Son of a bitch. Tampa Bay had scored 8 runs total in their 6 losses to start the season, but 2 Chicago errors contributed to 5 Rays runs in the 9th and the White Sox lost 9-7.

Just got home after not checking the internet for a bit, wow at Manny retiring, what a piece of garbage, I'm glad he's out of the game and hope he doesn't come back.

On another note, Rowand is hot, thank you for that walkoff 2 out RBI bomb in the bottom of the 12th, tomorrow Matt Cain should be shutting down the Cardinals tomorrow.

It's nice to see that the Indians are winning early on even if that doesn't pan out over the rest of the season. I'm not surprised at the poor ticket sales after the way management's gotten rid of most of the star players we've had over the years.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Keep telling yourself that. Beckett, Lackey, and Matsuzaka are all wildly inconsistent and overrated. Even Lester has been hit hard dating back to the end of last season. The reason everyone picked them is because they're big names. You said it yourself, you don't know what Beckett, Lackey, and Dice-K will contribute. Do you expect to win with two solid pitchers? To me, that sounds crazy.

I'm a Yankee fan. Considering the way they've started the past 5-6 seasons, do you really think I give any credit to what happens in April? I know the Sox aren't even close to out of it. I just don't think they're as good as people thought they were. Their starting pitching is suspect. That's my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Huh?

I'm glad to see Ian Kennedy is playing well so far, he absolutely dominated the Reds today. Nice to actually have some offense as well, Montero has been impressive.

[quote name='Beatofficer']Just got home after not checking the internet for a bit, wow at Manny retiring, what a piece of garbage, I'm glad he's out of the game and hope he doesn't come back.
[/QUOTE]

I hate that steroids was such a big part of the game for as long as it was as much as the next guy, but I really hope we get to the point where we stop vilifying the individuals and let more of the blame be shared with the league, which is where it belongs. It was a culture which was endemic and I guarantee every single team had guys who were using and the league looked the other way.

That said, Manny is certainly an idiot for continuing to try and use whatever he was trying to use after everyone woke up to it, especially after his first suspension. But then, haven't we always known Manny was an idiot?

For the record, I think Manny should be in the HoF. I also think Bonds, McGwire, and all of those guys should be in. The sport of baseball shouldn't be able to sweep the steroid era under the rug like it never happened, they should have to wear it like a black eye.

[quote name='yukine']I'm glad to see Ian Kennedy is playing well so far, he absolutely dominated the Reds today. Nice to actually have some offense as well, Montero has been impressive.[/QUOTE]

Seconded on Montero. If he does what some projected for him to do last year, I'll be a very happy guy (drafted him as my catcher in fantasy).

[quote name='JStryke']Very happy today when I found out the braves beat Cliff Lee. Tomorrow should be interesting throwing Beachy on the mound against Oswalt, but I like our chances. I like this kid personally, and myself, I was never a fan of Oswalt. Not to say he isn't a good pitcher, and maybe those years in Houston is tinting my vision somewhat, but he never scared me. I always viewed him as the #4 guy with Cole being the #3.[/QUOTE]

Ha, I knew that Braves win would get you talking. Tough break for Cliff, but I can take satisfaction in the fact that that loss came to a good team and not the Pirates or something. Those always hurt the most.

[quote name='bvharris']I hate that steroids was such a big part of the game for as long as it was as much as the next guy, but I really hope we get to the point where we stop vilifying the individuals and let more of the blame be shared with the league, which is where it belongs. It was a culture which was endemic and I guarantee every single team had guys who were using and the league looked the other way.

That said, Manny is certainly an idiot for continuing to try and use whatever he was trying to use after everyone woke up to it, especially after his first suspension. But then, haven't we always known Manny was an idiot?

For the record, I think Manny should be in the HoF. I also think Bonds, McGwire, and all of those guys should be in. The sport of baseball shouldn't be able to sweep the steroid era under the rug like it never happened, they should have to wear it like a black eye.[/QUOTE]

It's not about the steriods, I'm a Giants fan, and also a Bonds fan. It's more about Manny and his attitude towards the game (Bonds wasn't any better to be fair). Not to mention I have a rage towards anything Dodgers, even ex-dodgers.

I'm with you on the hall of fame, I believe Bonds should be in, same with Big Mac, and Manny. As much as fans hate it, the steroid era was apart of baseball in the 90's and early 2000's. No one was complaining when these guys were crushing balls, in fact, most people were enjoying it.

I think asterisks are dumb, Bonds is the home run king, single season, and all time. I didn't see Bud Selig complaining when Baseball started getting a bigger audience when Big Mac and Sosa were doing that home run race that year, or that owners were getting sold out Stadiums just because Bonds was going to play that day.

I just don't like Manny, watching Manny being Manny for so many years has made me believe he has no care for the game. At least Bonds still tried when he was in the outfield.

[quote name='Beatofficer']
I just don't like Manny, watching Manny being Manny for so many years has made me believe he has no care for the game. At least Bonds still tried when he was in the outfield.[/QUOTE]

I think his aloof attitude put a lot of people off, but I can tell you as someone who watched him play every day for 8 seasons that he definitely cared. This (from his walkoff home run in Game 2 of the 2007 Division Series against the Angels) remains one of my favorite sports photos of all time:

Manny-Ramirez-2.jpg

Furthermore, without him I'm probably still waiting for a Red Sox World Series win, so he has a lifetime pass in my book even if I was often aggravated by him, especially the way he left town.

[quote name='madbst']Minor league deal, Yanks only responsible for major league minimum if he makes the team. Sure, why not?[/QUOTE]

If he makes it to the majors with them, is it safe to say that they'll have the most overweight starting rotation in baseball?

Not today, Tampa Bay. I worried a bit when Sale allowed a home run in the 9th and the Rays cut it to 4-2, but it stayed that way and the White Sox got the win along with their first save of the year.

I had such an amazing day today. Was able to navigate the subways lol, had lower level seats for 60 bones, beautiful weather, yanks sox, couldn't ask for anything better. I was a little disappointed in the loss, but the fact that maybe 50 people behind home plate left in the 8th inning and I scooped up their seats.. I think that makes up for it :)

Anyone watching this angels game? These fucking 7 year olds are sitting pretty much right next to the camera/mic or whatever and just screaming their little asses off non stop lol. Really wish I didn't have to watch this game without sound

I believe all the Red Sox problems are to be blamed on Canada...well specifically the fact Ferrell is up there and not coaching them! But blaming Canada sounded good.

As for the Reds, I just want to know what the fuck happened last night, that was a beat down! Good to see a better showing tonight!

Torture so early in the season and it feels soooooo good.

I think that's the 3rd blown save by Franklin so far. Maybe it's time to switch to Motte or someone else.

[quote name='TheRock88']Torture so early in the season and it feels soooooo good.

I think that's the 3rd blown save by Franklin so far. Maybe it's time to switch to Motte or someone else.[/QUOTE]

2nd night in a row the last ball has been hit towards Rasmus, you could tell that took everything out of him after he dropped it.

If the giants keep winning like this, I might now live to the end of the year.

Cant believe the Mets won and Beltran belted 2 home runs and Wright and Ike hit in the clutch. Even though Capuano gave up 4 runs, he looked pretty good in his first game back. So far the low risk high reward guys are working out. now only if there was a way to fix Mike Pelfry.

The Silva signing is low risk high reward too...plus he could be a decent fill in if one of the starters goes down beyond Colon.

ugh! Chris Young pitching another Gem today for only the Bullpen and lapse in defense and not to mention 17Ks as a team today let him down.

well the bright side to all of this is that if Boyer passes through waivers he can start working on his stuff. I dont like that Duda was sent down but it could only help him on his fielding. Izzy and Iggy come up and I hope izzy has a good comeback.

Dont think we have a bats in hell of a chance against the Rockies but whatever at this point. hope they can try and atleast split the series.

Kershaw kills the Giants again. 23 1/3 consecutive scoreless against em. Man, I wish we could play the last place Giants every day.

looks like parnell just joined the insane fastball no location crew with Kyle Farnsworth and Matt Lindstrom.

doesnt matter though. He is just part of the league's worst bullpen now lol.

I can't believe that the third base coach sent Hamilton on that play. fucking season started off so good until today. Walk off loss and the MVP goes down.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I can't believe that the third base coach sent Hamilton on that play. fucking season started off so good until today. Walk off loss and the MVP goes down.[/QUOTE]

you can look at it both ways though. Dave Andersen saw that home plate wasn't covered by the pitcher and Beltre hit a high pop up. Hamilton should have slid feet first instead of head first, first of all. Plus, he should have hustled more and not hesistated. He just threw his 3rd Base Coach under the bus and now will probably get him fired. i feel bad for him.

[quote name='integralsmatic']you can look at it both ways though. Dave Andersen saw that home plate wasn't covered by the pitcher and Beltre hit a high pop up. Hamilton should have slid feet first instead of head first, first of all. Plus, he should have hustled more and not hesistated. He just threw his 3rd Base Coach under the bus and now will probably get him fired. i feel bad for him.[/QUOTE]

If he slid feet first he might as well have just given up on the play. There was no way he even comes close to being safe if he slides feet first.

Not a big believer in 'must-win' games considering it's fuckin' April.

But tonight's game against los Doyers was as close as you can get.

Team needs to get back Torres/Ross back so I don't have to see Huff in the outfield anymore.

It's not funny or even cute.

I wonder if Rowand can play like this all year, I still don't like him but...
I'd be ok with Huff in left field as long as Belt can heat up.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']If he slid feet first he might as well have just given up on the play. There was no way he even comes close to being safe if he slides feet first.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i guess your right taking a closer look at the replay. I guess the whole problem lies with anderson being way to aggressive and Hamilton no agreeing to go but went reluctantly.

I think its a blow but not a huge one. He is injury prone and they have David Murphy. The guy hit .291 last year so its not a huge drop off offensively, plus now they have flexibility. They can move Feliz to LF, Have Moreland play RF, and then YOung/Napoli can play first....or you can just stick Murphy in LF. Hamilton has been injury prone the last 4 years and has been out extensively each injury. He is a heck of a ball player but its not going to stop the Rangers whatsoever.

On another note...
What happend to the Red Sox? They just dropped 2 straight to the Rays. Man i thought i had it bad but geez...Fenway getting ready to riot soon lol.

It was fun to watch the Diamondbacks manhandle Carpenter today, although he didn't pitch like himself at all.

Nice to see Haren be successful, I didn't see his 1 hitter live unfortunately but watched the highlights.

Man was i way off on what I wanted. The Mets are going to get swept in their own house. Starting pitching is a disaster with only Young,Cap, and Dickey(who apparently had a broken nail which made him walk 5 batters) that are doing anything. I had a good feeling Pelf was going to struggle but not Niese. Why would you pitch the Tulowitski in that situation. he has been crushing the ball and you are going to feed him? man!

Well at least the bull pen didnt blow it this time! :)

[quote name='speedracer']Kershaw kills the Giants again. 23 1/3 consecutive scoreless against em. Man, I wish we could play the last place Giants every day.[/QUOTE]

I'd gladly do that.

The Giants would be 150-12.

Days we don't face Kershaw it's easy sailing!

[quote name='ph33r m3']I'd gladly do that.

The Giants would be 150-12.

Days we don't face Kershaw it's easy sailing![/QUOTE]

That make sense since we are 4-3 against you....

[quote name='vrs1650']That make sense since we are 4-3 against you....[/QUOTE]

It's impossible to make sense out of his Giants troll posts.

[quote name='vrs1650']That make sense since we are 4-3 against you....[/QUOTE]

Yeah since I counted out 150 games.

You have the extra home game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back