2011 MLB Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='bburpee']So, baseball's here. I've never done an MLB.TV account before, but I'm thinking about taking the plunge this year. I guess they have a $120 version with DVR functions and home/away broadcasts and a $100 version without those features.

I've heard tell of multiple logins on different systems, and this leads me to believe it could be even more affordable, if you could find a like-minded person (maybe on a different time zone)... but I've never used it before.

If anyone has experience they want to share, or they're also thinking about it, let me know via PM or here![/QUOTE]

i was going to get mlbtv until i found out they black out the local team's games which was the only reason why i wanted to get it.

I spoke to soon Willie Harris. Thank you for stopping the embarrassment of potentially getting no hit on opening day.

I am sure enough the Giants will get their act together.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Murph dog really is a good player. Everything looked good except for the catcher. Poor young they showed him and he looked sad. haha[/QUOTE]
I'd like to see Murphy make the switch to every day LF and move Hamilton back to center. I didn't see the error by Borbon as I got home in time for the start of the second but they were talking about it as I turned it on. Murph proved himself to be a great player countless times last season and again today, and I'm really second guessing moving the MVP of the league out of center. But as I said, it's early. I like Borbon. And I know I'd be nervous as hell being a young player getting the call on opening day. Who knows, maybe this will be a good move for the team in the long run. I guess time will tell.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']I'd like to see Murphy make the switch to every day LF and move Hamilton back to center. I didn't see the error by Borbon as I got home in time for the start of the second but they were talking about it as I turned it on. Murph proved himself to be a great player countless times last season and again today, and I'm really second guessing moving the MVP of the league out of center. But as I said, it's early. I like Borbon. And I know I'd be nervous as hell being a young player getting the call on opening day. Who knows, maybe this will be a good move for the team in the long run. I guess time will tell.[/QUOTE]

I watched the whole game and that error was pretty bad. Like you said, who knows what this season will hold, but so far it looks good.

[quote name='steve nash']i was going to get mlbtv until i found out they black out the local team's games which was the only reason why i wanted to get it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but if you wait 30 minutes after the end of the game, you can watch them then, just not live.

Also if you have an MLB.TV account or know someone's MLB.TV info, there is a free app on the PS3 so you can stream it on there instead of a PC/MAC.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']I'd like to see Murphy make the switch to every day LF and move Hamilton back to center. I didn't see the error by Borbon as I got home in time for the start of the second but they were talking about it as I turned it on. Murph proved himself to be a great player countless times last season and again today, and I'm really second guessing moving the MVP of the league out of center. But as I said, it's early. I like Borbon. And I know I'd be nervous as hell being a young player getting the call on opening day. Who knows, maybe this will be a good move for the team in the long run. I guess time will tell.[/QUOTE]

Hamilton is an injury waiting to happen, he shouldn't be in CF.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Dear Tony La Russa,

Lance Berkman has no business being in the outfield.[/QUOTE]

He has no business playing in the NL unless for pinch hit reasons nowadays.

Kinsler with his 3rd home run in as many games, took him 52 to hit that many last season.

Hopefully this series with the Sox is a sign of things to come. So glad to have baseball back again. Can't wait to get MLB.tv later this month, probably going to be rare that I leave my room after that haha.

Dear Jorge Posada and Miguel Cabrera. Can you please not hit any more home runs this week? Maybe strikeout a few times for good measure?

Dodgers, Giants together to condemn senseless beating on the field this weekend.

lol @ Aubrey Huff.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was some horrible defense by the G'aints this weekend. I mean they gave the Dodgers at least two out of the three wins by errors and sloppy play. They have great pitching, but damn pray for a strike out and not to have the ball hit at anyone.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'm beyond happy about the Orioles sweeping the Devil Rays. Now I hope we do it to the Tigers.[/QUOTE]

tough task when Miggy looks like he starting his hot streak. Also Brandon Boesh looks like he is starting to come in to his own. Even though its the third game, he looks really comfy in the batters box.

but than again, the Os looked great for a first series.

great win tonight. Sent Hamels packing in the third inning and Young owned Howard on every essential AB the phils needed to get back in the game. I do hope Young can keep us in games and i would like to see him go deeper later in the season.

Atleast the worst we can do is go home with a .500 record. Thats better than what is expected so far. i am happy.

[quote name='integralsmatic']great win tonight. Sent Hamels packing in the third inning and Young owned Howard on every essential AB the phils needed to get back in the game. I do hope Young can keep us in games and i would like to see him go deeper later in the season.

Atleast the worst we can do is go home with a .500 record. Thats better than what is expected so far. i am happy.[/QUOTE]

I like Young but his drop in velocity so early really worried me. As soon as he had that drop, the phillies started hitting him. The Mets have surprised me through 4 games though. With no production from Beltran and Bay being out, I would never think they would be 3-1.

[quote name='DomLando']I like Young but his drop in velocity so early really worried me. As soon as he had that drop, the phillies started hitting him. The Mets have surprised me through 4 games though. With no production from Beltran and Bay being out, I would never think they would be 3-1.[/QUOTE]

yeah it did...but i can't expect too much from a guy who has been out all season. im sure it will gradually return as his arm gets more work. I like a guy who can get himself out of jams and Young looks like that guy.

Yeah seriously, with Beltran doing subpar and Bay being out...i think it made Wright and Davis pick up the slack....and when Reyes gets on base and scores runs...i know we have a great chance to win games.

Hamels had no movement on his fastball and let the Mets tee off that whole inning. Eh, it's only his first game, he'll bounce back in his next start.

[quote name='tcrash247']Hamels had no movement on his fastball and let the Mets tee off that whole inning. Eh, it's only his first game, he'll bounce back in his next start.[/QUOTE]

He just has no luck against the mets. i still think Hamels is a great young pitcher but for some reason the Mets always have his number. I am sure he will bounce back too.

Hey im just happy we can take 1 game from you all....as i said before...ill be happy going back to Citi with atleast a .500 record. We are lucky to dodge at least 2 of the big 4 this time around.

White Sox score 4 in the top of the 9th and go into extras at Kansas City again, but this time they drove in 3 runs in the 12th to earn the 10-7 win to split the 2 game series with the Royals and improve to 3-2 on the year. Home opener tomorrow!

[quote name='Matt Young']White Sox score 4 in the top of the 9th and go into extras at Kansas City again, but this time they drove in 3 runs in the 12th to earn the 10-7 win to split the 2 game series with the Royals and improve to 3-2 on the year. Home opener tomorrow![/QUOTE]

Yup, they got to a tired Soria pitching in his 5th straight game, Yost is going to pitch these guys in the bullpen until their arms fall off.

Good win for the ChiSox though, hopefully it's a competitive series all year, can't believe we don't meet again until June.l

It doesn't help either team's bullpen that the games have been heavy on offense and have gone into multiple extra innings.

[quote name='Beatofficer']And Lincecum with 8 Strikeouts in 4 IP[/QUOTE]

Great for my fantasy team!

LOS ANGELES -- A San Francisco Giants fan who was beaten at Dodger Stadium after last week's opening game shows signs of brain damage and remains in critical condition, a doctor said Tuesday.
holy shit.

Sox 0-5. It's a long season... yet at the same time.. it's the cleveland indians.

lol I'm sure they'll turn it around at some point. Hopefully that "some point" is this saturday vs the yanks. Just got my tickets for $60 after fees, woo! Real excited to finally be a part of the rivalry. Just hoping for a good game..

It's been brutal to watch. When the starting pitching sucks, the bullpen sucks, and the offense is anemic.. Yeah, you're going to lose a ton. The brightside is that none of those things should suck on the Sox, so odds are they will turn it around once they realize the season has started.

[quote name='integralsmatic']Pelf and bucholz sucking wind. Oh well .500 here we come[/QUOTE]

Well you know they are going to be a below .500 team this year. I see on all these Mets boards and blogs stupid expectations of 90 wins and division or wildcard predictions. These people are crazy. Do they realize the Mets pitching staff? Pelfrey is no way a number 1, not sure if he is even a 2 or 3 at this point, seems like a back of the rotation guy who pitches better when the spotlight is not on him. Dickey in no way will match last year. Dude is 35 and he had one good season, that has to tell you something. Niese is still young and learning, I do think though he might be the best pitcher on this staff. Chris Young and Capuano, two guys coming off a few seasons with injuries are just huge question marks.

Even if the offense performs well and stays healthy (which we know wont happen), they still have holes there at second base and catcher.

Anyone who thinks the Red Sox aren't about to get swept by the Yankees to start 0-9 is kidding themselves. They're playing like the worst team in baseball right now, and it may well be true, it's truly stunning.

[quote name='KoolFreebies']And the red sox go down again. lol[/QUOTE]

They lost giving up 3 hits, none of them a home run. The run scored on a walk (to Adam fucking Everett), steal, sac bunt, sac bunt. They're finding a new and creative way to lose every day. I'm this close to writing a letter and asking for them to foot the bill for my mlb.tv subscription if I have to watch this garbage. :bomb:

[quote name='bvharris']Anyone who thinks the Red Sox aren't about to get swept by the Yankees to start 0-9 is kidding themselves. They're playing like the worst team in baseball right now, and it may well be true, it's truly stunning.[/QUOTE]

Hey, don't you try to unjinx your team out of a losing streak! The Yankees are completely capable of tanking at any moment. The only reason they've been winning is because for whatever reason they decided to start off this year on fire in terms of hitting (and I can't remember the last time that happened with so many "slow starters" on the team). The pitching is completely suspect. So, when the bats cool off, the losing will begin. Plus, they always find a way to make the Sox look good. I really wouldn't be surprised if Boston took 2 out of 3.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Hey, don't you try to unjinx your team out of a losing streak! [/QUOTE]

Don't you try to jinx me from unjinxing my team out of a losing streak!

So, when does Texas get their first loss and when do Boston and Tampa Bay get their first win?

Boston and Tampa play a 3 game series next week. So something gives there.

Texas plays Baltimore this weekend.

[quote name='Nate Nanjo']So, when does Texas get their first loss and when do Boston and Tampa Bay get their first win?
[/QUOTE]

Boston will take at least one against the Yankees at home. If they don't, they might as well start golfing.

At least my MLB11: The Show Red Sox are 29-5. :roll:

As much as I fucking despise the yankees, I'm kinda hoping for them to take game one of this series so the Fenway Faithful lose their minds when I get out there saturday, and so I can potentially witness the first sox win of the year. Getting swept by Cleveland though..... damn lol.

And I feel like Texas is going to sweep the O's and take a loss to the Yankees but win the series. Playing great ball right now, and I'm glad they're reminding everyone who the defending AL champs are.

It took 56 innings, but the Red Sox offense finally realized that the season has started. Granted, the way doughboy John Lackey is pitching they'll still probably lost this game 15-13, but it's nice to see another team's pitchers pitch like crap for a change. Especially when it's Phil Hughes.

[quote name='tcrash247']I would have liked a sweep of the Mets, but I'll gladly take 2 out of 3.[/QUOTE]

be lucky we didnt take game 2. Our pitching was just worse that night. I knew we had no chance of winning of the third game. Halladay didnt even pitch great and he still threw a shut out. When Wilson Valdes is getting RBI doubles off your pitchers, your team just deserves to lose.

Manny Being Manny One Last Time

Just heard during the Yankees - Sox game that Manny Ramirez was informed there was a problem with his drug test. Rather than "go through the process" (ie. get slapped with his 2nd suspension in 3 years for PEDs), he decided to retire. Way to end your career, Manny. Hilarious.

He probably figured a 2nd suspension would permanently torpedo his HOF chances.. Which may not be great anyway.

He didn't have much left in the tank, but I would have liked to have seen him come back to Fenway at least once (which would have been next week).

[quote name='bvharris']He probably figured a 2nd suspension would permanently torpedo his HOF chances.. Which may not be great anyway.

He didn't have much left in the tank, but I would have liked to have seen him come back to Fenway at least once (which would have been next week).[/QUOTE]

True. But it's a coward's exit and basically indicates that he never stopped using. His plan all along may have been to retire if he ever got caught again. As Costas said, just walking away is an admission of guilt. They won't let him anywhere near the HOF.

As for the game today, I told you. Leave it to the Yankees pitching to make the Sox look good. fuck you, Phil Hughes.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']
As for the game today, I told you. Leave it to the Yankees pitching to make the Sox look good. fuck you, Phil Hughes.[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox are good, the Yankees pitching just helped them remember. Never doubt the power of the reverse jinx.

That said, at least Girardi was smart enough to get Hughes out of there when he did, Colon pitched very well. Can't say the same of Francona who left Lackey in to get pummeled. Ironically Lackey gets the win and Colon the loss, what silly statistics. :lol:

[quote name='bvharris']The Red Sox are good, the Yankees pitching just helped them remember. Never doubt the power of the reverse jinx.

That said, at least Girardi was smart enough to get Hughes out of there when he did, Colon pitched very well. Can't say the same of Francona who left Lackey in to get pummeled. Ironically Lackey gets the win and Colon the loss, what silly statistics. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Well, the Sox hit today and their bullpen looked good. Their biggest question mark remains though. Against teams that can pitch, they'll be in trouble.

But yeah, if Hughes keeps this up, he'll be back in the bullpen. Colon looked amazingly sharp for a guy who hasn't faced big league hitters in almost two years.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']True. But it's a coward's exit and basically indicates that he never stopped using. His plan all along may have been to retire if he ever got caught again. As Costas said, just walking away is an admission of guilt. They won't let him anywhere near the HOF.
[/QUOTE]

Plus it would be a 100 game suspension this time, so he'd have missed most of the year anyway. Unless he planned on playing again next year, really not much point in sticking around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back