2011 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs - Boston Wins!

You jumped on the Flyers' bandwagon? Well, that's pretty stupid. We'll never win the cup as long as we half ass it at goalie every year.

Btw, that post about rooting for the red wings was pretty hilarious. Cause I considered it too even though I hate Detroit and I even kinda like the Sharkies. VIPFreak is that annoying.

In reality, I'm rooting for the Canucks. All the east teams I hate.

that's not how it works. your hometown is where you grew up, not where you moved to.

You're welcome to the bandwagon but they're not your hometown team.

i'll agree with you in regard to baseball. reds are a team with integrity, unlike the Yankees of the National League.

I'll disagree with you in regards to hockey (I was orphaned) and football (abusive relationship).

It's not like people who live here ever get along about anything under the sun anyway, so why should we agree on this?

[quote name='confoosious']I think you're failing to understand the word "hometown".[/QUOTE]

Not that it really matters but Myke didn't use hometown, he used home team.

I moved to Tampa Bay last year. The Lightning are my home team, not my hometown team. In hockey, that would have been the Indiana Ice of the USHL.

[quote name='niceguyshawne']Not that it really matters but Myke didn't use hometown, he used home team.

I moved to Tampa Bay last year. The Lightning are my home team, not my hometown team. In hockey, that would have been the Indiana Ice of the USHL.[/QUOTE]

You can absolutely adopt a team if you didn't have one before.

But you can't root for the Rangers, move to philly, and then root for the flyers. THat's just wrong. It's almost like rooting for the Yankees and then moving to Boston and rooting for the red sox.

and yes, he said "home team" but to me, that's the same as home town team. You have 1 home (town) team. The rest are adopted.

Well, if you want to condense an 18-year process into one sentence that makes it seem like I'm changing channels, or dumping one girl for the other one next to me, then yeah.

On the other hand, context is important.

really? a whole page arguing about this?

i have my unlucky sharks shirt on today, i figure whatever.

sharks win 4-2. Marleau steps up after the JR comments, scores 2 goals and an assist.

[quote name='confoosious']You can absolutely adopt a team if you didn't have one before.

But you can't root for the Rangers, move to philly, and then root for the flyers. THat's just wrong. It's almost like rooting for the Yankees and then moving to Boston and rooting for the red sox.

and yes, he said "home team" but to me, that's the same as home town team. You have 1 home (town) team. The rest are adopted.[/QUOTE]

Wow, really? This is a moronic argument. I'm guessing you've lived in one place your entire life? I see nothing wrong with rooting for the team that's close to your home (see also: what "home team" actually means). Yes, his "previous team" was the Rangers, but not because he lived in NY. He liked them because when he started watching hockey, they were a top team and he liked their players. For a guy from Cincinatti, I'm sure after those players retired, most of his interest faded.

I was the same way with the Bulls after Jordan and Pippen left (I'm originally from western NY and liked the Bills and Sabres, but didn't care for the Knicks and had no reason to root for them). Watching those players got me interested in basketball. You make it sound like he turned his back on his "hometown" to pull for a frontrunner. That's not the case at all.

tl:dr - Get over it.

I want it to be Lightning vs. Sharks, because all my friends who like Hockey are Sharks fans and so is my fiance's brother. So if the Lightning dominate I can be a dick to them!

I want it to be Lightning and Red Wings so I can see my new home team play the team I have been following since high school (and maybe I can get to some games).

Oh I'm so happy right now. Couldn't wake up in time to catch the game so I was nervous turning on the TV to see if the post game was on... 3-1 yes.
I will watch game 7.

I can't wait to watch San Jose and Detroit beat the shit out of each other in Game 7. Vancouver awaits you...

Thank god my team had it's epic collapse averted in round one. Now I can relax and just watch two great teams go at it on Thursday.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Wow, really? This is a moronic argument. I'm guessing you've lived in one place your entire life? I see nothing wrong with rooting for the team that's close to your home (see also: what "home team" actually means). Yes, his "previous team" was the Rangers, but not because he lived in NY. He liked them because when he started watching hockey, they were a top team and he liked their players. For a guy from Cincinatti, I'm sure after those players retired, most of his interest faded.

I was the same way with the Bulls after Jordan and Pippen left (I'm originally from western NY and liked the Bills and Sabres, but didn't care for the Knicks and had no reason to root for them). Watching those players got me interested in basketball. You make it sound like he turned his back on his "hometown" to pull for a frontrunner. That's not the case at all.

tl:dr - Get over it.[/QUOTE]

You know what they call people who root for whatever team is on top when they start watching a sport? Cowboys fans. That's some frontrunning bullshit. But if you're gonna front run, you can't just abandon them when they get bad. That's even worse.

I have absolutely not lived in one place all my life. But wherever I move to, the Philly teams are always my teams. That's called loyalty.

Will I root for the local team when I go to a game? Sure, when it doesn't conflict with Flyers/Phils/Eagles/Sixers. And obviously never for a divisional rival. I lived in NYC for a few years. I didn't start rooting for the Mets. You grow up rooting for a team and you don't change.

You're gonna tell me it's ok to move to Boston and root for the Red Sox if you grew up a Yankees fan?

If you grow up in an area and hate the local team? Cool. Pick a team. You wanna root for the Bulls and live in western ny? Fine. But you don't start rooting for the Lakers after you move to California or when Kobe and Shaq teamed up. That would be fraudulent fandom right there.

---

anyway... lol @ sharkies

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='confoosious']You know what they call people who root for whatever team is on top when they start watching a sport? Cowboys fans. That's some frontrunning bullshit. But if you're gonna front run, you can't just abandon them when they get bad. That's even worse.

I have absolutely not lived in one place all my life. But wherever I move to, the Philly teams are always my teams. That's called loyalty.

Will I root for the local team when I go to a game? Sure, when it doesn't conflict with Flyers/Phils/Eagles/Sixers. And obviously never for a divisional rival. I lived in NYC for a few years. I didn't start rooting for the Mets. You grow up rooting for a team and you don't change.

You're gonna tell me it's ok to move to Boston and root for the Red Sox if you grew up a Yankees fan?

If you grow up in an area and hate the local team? Cool. Pick a team. You wanna root for the Bulls and live in western ny? Fine. But you don't start rooting for the Lakers after you move to California or when Kobe and Shaq teamed up. That would be fraudulent fandom right there.

---

anyway... lol @ sharkies[/QUOTE]

I have to agree, you can't just constantly switch teams because they're good or because you move. In my opinion, if you're a true fan of any sport, you have your team that you root for and you stick with them through the good times and the bad times. Fairweather fans piss me off so much, I remember when the Saints started to become good and eventually win the Super Bowl, Saints jerseys started popping up everywhere and all I could do is roll my eyes.

Wait. So I can't root for the teams where I live? Cause that's how I roll. Let's say by some random chance if I move to Atlanta I will be a Thrashers fan.

[quote name='confoosious']You're gonna tell me it's ok to move to Boston and root for the Red Sox if you grew up a Houston Astros fan?[/QUOTE]

Fixed that to change the context a little bit. You're saying two things here - one is a blanket "you must never switch teams" claim. But to back it up, you're going to the well and digging up the most extreme examples to support your claim. It's easy to see the lack of "integrity" (if such a thing is defined by affiliating with a sports team) in moving from one team to a long, long, LONG hated division rival. Yankees to Sox? Blasphemous!

But you're making the claim in general as well. You're saying "if you move from Kansas City to Milwaukee, you're not allowed to like the Brewers." You shouldn't have to use the most extreme case to support your point - but you do select that, because your claim is incorrect on the surface. Nobody gives a shit about someone who likes the Royals or the Brewers. What if the person was a poor, poor Cubs fan or Houston fan? Woe be for them to move to Pittsburgh for baseball the past few years. 100+ losses? Oh, these shameless fairweather fans, right? :roll:

For your argument to be true, it has to be true in every circumstance. Which it is not, and you've not even bothered to look into. I'm a Flyers fan, like it or not. No more "true" or "false" than any other fan (well, there is that dude at my gym who had their logo tattooed into the side of his head - he gets one up on you or I).

But my previous allegiances? Long gone. Vancouver is a phenomenal team that is not the team I despised. Bure is long gone, the logo is changed, my childhood animosity towards those sons of bitches is just that. Today's NY Rangers don't have Mike Richter, Brian Leetch, or Mike Messier - or Kovalev, Zubov, or Tikkanen. I don't care who the d-bags are in NY now. Haven't for the better part of a decade.

You may cling to some high and mighty throne of righteousness, where the team(s) a person supports is a reflection of their personal moral/spiritual worth. But in doing so, you refused to make the kind of difficult claims that negate your argument, instead going for cheap and easy claims that boiled down to another argument altogether - you don't switch favorite teams when they are long term rivals. That I can get down with.

But if you want to tell me that someone who switches from Ottawa to NY Islanders is a heathen and a fairweather fan, then you're just being obnoxious.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']I honestly could never see myself switching, regardless of circumstance. Maybe it is just part of being a Philly fan from the start.[/QUOTE]

It's in the blood for better or worse. 4 for 4. Although is really hard being a Sixers fan.

[quote name='mykevermin']Fixed that to change the context a little bit. You're saying two things here - one is a blanket "you must never switch teams" claim. But to back it up, you're going to the well and digging up the most extreme examples to support your claim. It's easy to see the lack of "integrity" (if such a thing is defined by affiliating with a sports team) in moving from one team to a long, long, LONG hated division rival. Yankees to Sox? Blasphemous!

But you're making the claim in general as well. You're saying "if you move from Kansas City to Milwaukee, you're not allowed to like the Brewers." You shouldn't have to use the most extreme case to support your point - but you do select that, because your claim is incorrect on the surface. Nobody gives a shit about someone who likes the Royals or the Brewers. What if the person was a poor, poor Cubs fan or Houston fan? Woe be for them to move to Pittsburgh for baseball the past few years. 100+ losses? Oh, these shameless fairweather fans, right? :roll:

For your argument to be true, it has to be true in every circumstance. Which it is not, and you've not even bothered to look into. I'm a Flyers fan, like it or not. No more "true" or "false" than any other fan (well, there is that dude at my gym who had their logo tattooed into the side of his head - he gets one up on you or I).

But my previous allegiances? Long gone. Vancouver is a phenomenal team that is not the team I despised. Bure is long gone, the logo is changed, my childhood animosity towards those sons of bitches is just that. Today's NY Rangers don't have Mike Richter, Brian Leetch, or Mike Messier - or Kovalev, Zubov, or Tikkanen. I don't care who the d-bags are in NY now. Haven't for the better part of a decade.

You may cling to some high and mighty throne of righteousness, where the team(s) a person supports is a reflection of their personal moral/spiritual worth. But in doing so, you refused to make the kind of difficult claims that negate your argument, instead going for cheap and easy claims that boiled down to another argument altogether - you don't switch favorite teams when they are long term rivals. That I can get down with.

But if you want to tell me that someone who switches from Ottawa to NY Islanders is a heathen and a fairweather fan, then you're just being obnoxious.[/QUOTE]

See, that's where you're wrong. I never said that. If you want to root for the Brewers, go ahead. But when your hometown/childhood team should have rooting priority. You can't just abandon your hometown/childhood team just because they start to suck.

If I lived in Milwaukee, I'd root for the Bucks for the hell of it. But the Sixers will always be my priority. You can't just like em growing up cause they were good and had Dr J and then just ditch em now cause they have Andre Igoudala. Gotta stick with your teams through good and bad.

Poor houston and cubs fans? Are you kidding me? The Phils went through 10,000 losses.

Alright guys. Game 7 is almost here.
My guess is that if the Wings win the game winner will be by Cleary. Some scrappy goal with commotion around the net.

Crazy-ass backhand Datsyuk goal there! If they can't tie it up on this power play, I don't think it's going to end well though.

Well... at least the "important" prediction was right. I'd like to marry Niemi even though I'm not gay. Pretty glad we signed him BEFORE he got good.

If the sharks third goal was our goal, and that was Holmstrom crashing the net, it would have been called goaltender interference. How that wasn't called is still a bit beyond me, puck is under Jimmy, dude crashes into Jimmy, puck is no longer under Jimmy. All aside, Sharks out played us hard tonight. GG sharks.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Well... at least the "important" prediction was right. I'd like to marry Niemi even though I'm not gay. Pretty glad we signed him BEFORE he got good.[/QUOTE]

joke?

Did you watch the playoffs last year?

Well the anger has subsided. Still hate you San Jose for the rest of these playoffs. Datsyuk was out of his mind the whole game... nice job Huds taking out Cleary... no I don't actually have anything against Hudler but going down two men was very hard. Oh well it's over and my sleep schedule is whack now.
Thanks Sharks.
I want Tampa to win the Cup for Stevie Y

PS. What was up with the powerplay? Did it look that sloppy the whole series?

[quote name='confoosious']Did you watch the playoffs last year?[/QUOTE]

:sigh: This year.... We picked him up then signed him for 4 yrs earlier in the season.

Edit: Also if I didn't say this I'd be lying but... GOOD fucking RIDDANCE!

I'd have had to find a new place to live and erase my home town...

[quote name='VipFREAK']:sigh: This year.... We picked him up then signed him for 4 yrs earlier in the season.

Edit: Also if I didn't say this I'd be lying but... GOOD fucking RIDDANCE!

I'd have had to find a new place to live and erase my home town...[/QUOTE]

And you said you signed him BEFORE he got good. Last I checked, Niemi's name is on the Stanley Cup already. Was he no good last year?

So my predictions for the last three series'

Lighting win in six games.
Sharks win in seven games.

Lightning over Sharks in 5 games and I get to deal with all my friends who are Sharks fans hating me for about a month 'cause my Lightning won. Cannot wait.

[quote name='VipFREAK']He wasn't on OUR team last year and he wasn't all that great in the beginning of this season for us...[/QUOTE]

What?

But he was Already good last year. You make it sound like your team discovered him or something.

bread's done
Back