2012 Fantasy Football "Who should I start?" Thread

[quote name='gbpackers94']Hey guys, trade question here. I'm wondering if I should Trade Rivers for Reggie Wayne and Robert Meachem. 10 team league (3rd pick).

QB- Aaron Rodgers
RB- Darren McFadden
RB- DeMarco Murray
WR- Julio Jones
WR- Jeremy Maclin
TE- Fred Davis
FLEX- Doug Martin
D/ST- 49ers D/ST
K- David Akers

B- Philip Rivers
B- James Starks
B- Justin Blackmon
B- Andrew Luck
B- Donald Brown
B- Jacob Tamme
B- Greg Little
B- Packers D/ST
B- Cedric Benson

I picked Rivers in the 5th round because I thought I could start him at the FLEX. Now I'm trying to deal him, but being only a 10 team league almost everyone has a good QB so I'm going to have to sell low.[/QUOTE]

You could also hold on to Rivers in case there is an injury, then you could get quite a bit more for him.

[quote name='gravel']You could also hold on to Rivers in case there is an injury, then you could get quite a bit more for him.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think thats what I'm going with. Thanks!

[quote name='GamerDude316']I have my live draft tonight, any good recommendations on sleepers? Curious if theres anybody way under the radar worth a look.[/QUOTE]

Kyle Rudolph, he only had like 25 catches but he looked good doing it. He has the size, skill and hands to be an awesome TE & if their line can block and with them easing Peterson back, he could a big red zone target. He'd make a great backup TE I think if you have the need and his ADP is like 155 or something so you could even potentially get him in the last round (maybe even free agency if you have a small league).

[quote name='DestroVega']First pick in 12- team non PPR. Over thinking it by not just going with Foster?[/QUOTE]

If you don't like Foster, pick Rice or McCoy. You can't go wrong with any of them.

I like Ray Rice as a 1st overall PPR league or no, in the past 3 seasons the guy has like 5700+ yards from scrimmage and hasn't missed a full game either in that time. It's hard to overlook that kind of consistency.

I just finished my draft this year. It's a $75 ten person league. I drafted 10th. Points are awarded for return yards.

QB: Matthew Stafford
WR: Calvin Johnson
WR: Andre Johnson
WR: Julio Jones
RB: Darren Sproles
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw
TE: Vernon Davis
WR/TE: Fred Davis
K: Matt Bryant
DEF: Eagles
D: Navorro Bowman
DB: Tyvon Branch
DL: Jason Babin

QB: RGIII
RB: Jonathan Stewart
RB: Cedric Benson
WR: Titus Young
WR: Greg Little
TE: Greg Olson
DEF: Texans
DB: Jason McCourty

[quote name='Miami_13']I just finished my draft this year. It's a $75 ten person league. I drafted 10th. Points are awarded for return yards.

QB: Matthew Stafford
WR: Calvin Johnson
WR: Andre Johnson
WR: Julio Jones
RB: Darren Sproles
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw
WR/TE: Fred Davis
K: Matt Bryant
DEF: Eagles
D: Navorro Bowman
DB: Tyvon Branch
DL: Jason Babin

QB: RGIII
RB: Jonathan Stewart
RB: Cedric Benson
WR: Titus Young
WR: Greg Little
TE: Greg Olson
DEF: Texans
DB: Jason McCourty[/QUOTE]

How on earth did you get both Johnsons and Stafford?

[quote name='GamerDude316']How on earth did you get both Johnsons and Stafford?[/QUOTE]
Picking 10th; last in the first round so I had back to back picks and went Stafford-Megatron. Then AJ fell to the 30th overall pick so I snatched him up. Overall I'm very happy with my draft.

[quote name='Miami_13']Picking 10th; last in the first round so I had back to back picks and went Stafford-Megatron. Then AJ fell to the 30th overall pick so I snatched him up. Overall I'm very happy with my draft.[/QUOTE]

You should be, the people in your league are retards.

Congrats on your championship.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I don't know if I'd say that yet. His RBs aren't that great.[/QUOTE]

Sproles is way better than you'd think. And as long as Bradshaw is healthy, he'll be fine. He can also trade a WR for a monster RB.

[quote name='Miami_13']Picking 10th; last in the first round so I had back to back picks and went Stafford-Megatron. Then AJ fell to the 30th overall pick so I snatched him up. Overall I'm very happy with my draft.[/QUOTE]

That's crazy...kudos to you

Draft is tonight. I'm 3rd. My league starts 2QBs and they get 6 points per TD. Assuming he is there do I take Rodgers or should I stick with Foster/McCoy/Rice (whoever is left)? Last season Rodgers out scored just about everyone by a ton.

[quote name='Javery']Draft is tonight. I'm 3rd. My league starts 2QBs and they get 6 points per TD. Assuming he is there do I take Rodgers or should I stick with Foster/McCoy/Rice (whoever is left)? Last season Rodgers out scored just about everyone by a ton.[/QUOTE]

In that league format, gotta take the QB

[quote name='GamerDude316']How on earth did you get both Johnsons and Stafford?[/QUOTE]

Personally Andre Johnson is overvalued. He IMHO wouldn't be worth a first or second round pick. Maybe a mid thrid rounder. The issue is 3 fold. Depth at his position. His numbers over the years do not warrant a 1st round or early 2nd round pick. Injury history. Also this is a guy who has never had more than 10 TD's in a season that is consistently drafted in the first round. Sorry better value in the first 3 maybe four rounds than Andre Johnson. Megatron However is worth his draft position.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']Personally Andre Johnson is overvalued. He IMHO wouldn't be worth a first or second round pick. Maybe a mid thrid rounder. The issue is 3 fold. Depth at his position. His numbers over the years do not warrant a 1st round or early 2nd round pick. Injury history. Also this is a guy who has never had more than 10 TD's in a season that is consistently drafted in the first round. Sorry better value in the first 3 maybe four rounds than Andre Johnson. Megatron However is worth his draft position.[/QUOTE]

But this guy took Andre in the third.

[quote name='Javery']Draft is tonight. I'm 3rd. My league starts 2QBs and they get 6 points per TD. Assuming he is there do I take Rodgers or should I stick with Foster/McCoy/Rice (whoever is left)? Last season Rodgers out scored just about everyone by a ton.[/QUOTE]

Please for the love of all things Holy take Rodgers, Brady, Brees, or Stafford with that pick in that order in my opinion. Frankly in 2 QB leagues I would go QB - QB in the First 2 rounds. If somebody is crazy enough to leave perhaps Stafford, Newton or any mentioned above in the second round grab them and don't look back. WR is crazy deep this year and you can play the wire. RB is a gamble after the top 4 or five so do your homework. But in this format QB is king. You have to start 2 so you figure you will Roster 3 to 4. Simple math tells you there isn't many quality starters to go around. Let somebody else start Blain Gabbert in as their second QB. Vick, Romo, Rivers, Newton shouldn't last past the Second round. Cutler, Schaub, Manning brothers won't survive the 3rd/4th round. Palmer is a nice sleeper with some weapons that you may be able to snag pretty late. RGIII, and Andrew Luck would be nice backups to your primary starers maybe in the 6th round along with Flaco and Andy Dalton. But you shouldn't be stressed by these later rounds because you were smart and realized that there are less "stud" QB's than any other position and you drafted accordingly. Sorry for the rant but I got creamed my First year playing this format by my second QB being next to worthless. Just wouldn't want a fellow CAG making the same mistake.

[quote name='DestroVega']But this guy took Andre in the third.[/QUOTE]

I can definitely live with him in the 3rd. I just still see him going in the 1st early second and it's crazy to me with WR being so deep this year.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']I can definitely live with him in the 3rd. I just still see him going in the 1st early second and it's crazy to me with WR being so deep this year.[/QUOTE]

After last season I wouldn't ever draft Andre Johnson before late 2nd/3rd Round.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']Please for the love of all things Holy take Rodgers, Brady, Brees, or Stafford with that pick in that order in my opinion. Frankly in 2 QB leagues I would go QB - QB in the First 2 rounds. If somebody is crazy enough to leave perhaps Stafford, Newton or any mentioned above in the second round grab them and don't look back. WR is crazy deep this year and you can play the wire. RB is a gamble after the top 4 or five so do your homework. But in this format QB is king. You have to start 2 so you figure you will Roster 3 to 4. Simple math tells you there isn't many quality starters to go around. Let somebody else start Blain Gabbert in as their second QB. Vick, Romo, Rivers, Newton shouldn't last past the Second round. Cutler, Schaub, Manning brothers won't survive the 3rd/4th round. Palmer is a nice sleeper with some weapons that you may be able to snag pretty late. RGIII, and Andrew Luck would be nice backups to your primary starers maybe in the 6th round along with Flaco and Andy Dalton. But you shouldn't be stressed by these later rounds because you were smart and realized that there are less "stud" QB's than any other position and you drafted accordingly. Sorry for the rant but I got creamed my First year playing this format by my second QB being next to worthless. Just wouldn't want a fellow CAG making the same mistake.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the rant. That is pretty much my thinking exactly. We started the 2QB thing last year (it is awesome) and my only hesitation is that I won the league with Stafford and Carson Palmer (I started the season with Kolb as my #2 QB - yikes) which wasn't that hot on paper. One guy in my league had Brees AND Brady and finished 4th (most points though - just bad luck on match-ups). I'm thinking of going Rodgers if he is there and then the best RB or QB left on the board when is comes back to round 2.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']I can definitely live with him in the 3rd. I just still see him going in the 1st early second and it's crazy to me with WR being so deep this year.[/QUOTE]

League I'm in has 3 WR's starting a week plus a TE/WR option. So I tried to stockpile them. I had AJ last year and I got screwed when he went down but IMO he's worth taking #30 overall. Of course there's risk with it though. I drafted Jamall Charles 1st round last year and that was a waste.

Some guy just released Kenny Britt. He goes on waivers the 24th and I have 1st priority. Anyone think he's worth adding despite all his issues and injury?

Last edited by a moderator:
Andre Johnson at 30th is not bad but not that uncommon this season. I think his ADP is like 25, so he usually has ended up late 2nd or so. But if your league is IDP and you get points for return yardage how are you not drafting Patrick Peterson?

[quote name='Miami_13']

Some guy just released Kenny Britt. He goes on waivers the 24th and I have 1st priority. Anyone think he's worth adding despite all his issues and injury?[/QUOTE]

It's really risky, you don't even know if he'll be physically ready by the regular season and on top of that you don't know how long he could be suspended for. I think it's like offense number 7 or 8 of the conduct policy in the last 3 years, so it could be somewhat lengthy this time around. Honestly I'd keep your waiver spot for someone with more potential.

so I did my live draft the other night. 10 team non-PPR league. I picked 8th.

QB: Cam Newton
RB: Frank Gore
RB: Ahmed Bradshaw
WR: Roddy White
WR: Greg Jennings:
Flex: Demaryius Thomas
TE: Aaron Hernandez
DEF: Seahawks
K: Rob Bironas

BEN: Ben Tate
BEN: Michael Bush
BEN: Brandon Jacobs
BEN: Anquan Boldin
BEN: Darrius Heyward-Bey
BEN: Mike Williams
BEN: Andy Dalton

FWIW, Megatron, Andre Johnson, Rodgers, Brady, and Foster were all keepers so there wasnt much at the top.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']It's really risky, you don't even know if he'll be physically ready by the regular season and on top of that you don't know how long he could be suspended for. I think it's like offense number 7 or 8 of the conduct policy in the last 3 years, so it could be somewhat lengthy this time around. Honestly I'd keep your waiver spot for someone with more potential.[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna disagree on this one. Britt dominates when healthy. He was on his way to a monster season last year. I'd roll the dice picking him up, someone else is going to.

[quote name='Miami_13']
Some guy just released Kenny Britt. He goes on waivers the 24th and I have 1st priority. Anyone think he's worth adding despite all his issues and injury?[/QUOTE]
Who would you cut to get him? Also, if you pick him up, do you lose waiver priority? While Britt is fantastic when he plays, I could see him missing at least half the season between his current injuries and all of his legal issues. Is this a keeper league? If you get to hold first priority until you make a move, you might be better off waiting to see who this year's breakout stars are in week one. Last year Cam Newton and Victor Cruz went from free agents to must starts, and you usually see something similar early on each year.

[quote name='GamerDude316']so I did my live draft the other night. 10 team non-PPR league. I picked 8th.

RB: Frank Gore
RB: Ahmed Bradshaw
WR: Roddy White
WR: Greg Jennings:
Flex: Demaryius Thomas
TE: Aaron Hernandez
DEF: Seahawks

BEN: Ben Tate
BEN: Michael Bush
BEN: Brandon Jacobs
BEN: Anquan Boldin
BEN: Darrius Heyward-Bey
BEN: Mike Williams
BEN: Andy Dalton

FWIW, Megatron, Andre Johnson, Rodgers, Brady, and Foster were all keepers so there wasnt much at the top.[/QUOTE]
Not bad, with Cam and two top tier WRs. FWIW Brandon Jacobs got hurt the other night and was carted off. I'm not sure how bad it was, but you might want to look at Kendall Hunter or David Wilson to handcuff with Bradshaw if he's available.

Edit: I guess Jacobs' MRI showed 'no major damage', so who knows if he'll miss time at all.

[quote name='gravel']Who would you cut to get him? Also, if you pick him up, do you lose waiver priority? While Britt is fantastic when he plays, I could see him missing at least half the season between his current injuries and all of his legal issues. Is this a keeper league? If you get to hold first priority until you make a move, you might be better off waiting to see who this year's breakout stars are in week one. Last year Cam Newton and Victor Cruz went from free agents to must starts, and you usually see something similar early on each year.[/QUOTE]
I would cut DB Jason McCourty since I have Tyvon Branch starting. Waiver is Reverse order of standings. So I'm not exactly sure what happens to my waiver if I take him the 24th.

It's early, so your priority in a 10-team league will be good fast. Also, he's not gonna miss half the season.

I'd take the chance, just my opinion.

[quote name='Miami_13']I would cut DB Jason McCourty since I have Tyvon Branch starting. Waiver is Reverse order of standings. So I'm not exactly sure what happens to my waiver if I take him the 24th.[/QUOTE]

Go and use it man, after the first week of games the waiver order will be set form the teams with the worst record to the best record. Pick him up man, he won't serve more than 2 to 3 game suspension and he is already making cuts. They are also saying he might play in the final preseason game. The reward far out weighs the risk.

Alright guys... how did I do?

QB - T. Brady (NE)
QB - J. Freeman (TB)
RB - C. Johnson (TEN)
RB - M. Forte (CHI)
WR - M. Wallace (PIT)
WR - J. Jones (ATL)
RB/WR - A. Bradshaw (NYG)
TE - J. Graham (NO)
K - D. Akers (SF)
DEF - Texans

BN - J. Stewart (RB-CAR)
BN - D. Bowe (WR-KC)
BN - S. Ridley (RB-NE)
BN - D. Williams (RB-CAR)
BN - R. Randle (WR-NYG)
BN - A. Smith (QB-SF)
BN - T. Gonzalez (TE-ATL)

[quote name='DestroVega']I'm gonna disagree on this one. Britt dominates when healthy. He was on his way to a monster season last year. I'd roll the dice picking him up, someone else is going to.[/QUOTE]

A guy who can't stay healthy at 23 can't dominate anyone. A guy on the PUP list cannot dominate anyone. A guy who will get at least a 4-8 game suspension cannot dominate anyone. Furthermore, we have different definitions of "dominates". He has yet to finish a season with more than 42 catches. And yes, he had 2 good games last year, but so did lots of other WRs. I'll concede he may look good at times but my point is the cons stack up a lot faster than the pros IMO. And on top of all the issues and injuries he also publicly trashed his team, that'll make for great chemistry out there...

The only way I recommend picking him up is if he could it without losing his wavier spot, as the top waiver spot can come in handy in the first week. (and I'd drop Greg Olsen but that's because I almost never endorse having 3 TEs on a team unless you have a terrible stable of wideouts).

[quote name='Javery']I hope so - My QB2 isn't so great. Aaron Rodgers went #1 overall and there was a run of QBs in the first round.[/QUOTE]

Any QB #1 overall is weird IMO, but it always makes for an entertaining & interesting draft that's for sure.

[quote name='Javery']Alright guys... how did I do?

QB - T. Brady (NE)
QB - J. Freeman (TB)
RB - C. Johnson (TEN)
RB - M. Forte (CHI)
WR - M. Wallace (PIT)
WR - J. Jones (ATL)
RB/WR - A. Bradshaw (NYG)
TE - J. Graham (NO)
K - D. Akers (SF)
DEF - Texans

BN - J. Stewart (RB-CAR)
BN - D. Bowe (WR-KC)
BN - S. Ridley (RB-NE)
BN - D. Williams (RB-CAR)
BN - R. Randle (WR-NYG)
BN - A. Smith (QB-SF)
BN - T. Gonzalez (TE-ATL)[/QUOTE]

I like your team. Freeman should have a bounce-back season, and while I'm not thrilled with Smith, he's a nice consistent QB3 to have and can easily be a spot QB2 if Freeman struggles. I think you did a great job with your picks.

Okay my deadline for keepers is wednesday and I have a tough call to make. I drafted 2 great late round sleepers last year at WR and can only keep one though.

AJ Green for a 11th round pick or Jordy Nelson for a 13th round pick?

Both are great values no doubt so it's hard to decide. I'm sort of leaning towards Green because he seems to be the clear #1 in Cincy, but he & his QB are not as proven and I'm slightly afraid he could hit a sophomore slump (or Dalton hits one).

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Okay my deadline for keepers is wednesday and I have a tough call to make. I drafted 2 great late round sleepers last year at WR and can only keep one though.

Both are great values no doubt so it's hard to decide. I'm sort of leaning towards Green because he seems to be the clear #1 in Cincy, but he & his QB are not as proven and I'm slightly afraid he could hit a sophomore slump (or Dalton hits one).[/QUOTE]

Nelson for a 13th round pick is great value IMO, the only question is whether you trust him to get enough deep balls from Rodgers this year.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Okay my deadline for keepers is wednesday and I have a tough call to make. I drafted 2 great late round sleepers last year at WR and can only keep one though.

Both are great values no doubt so it's hard to decide. I'm sort of leaning towards Green because he seems to be the clear #1 in Cincy, but he & his QB are not as proven and I'm slightly afraid he could hit a sophomore slump (or Dalton hits one).[/QUOTE]

I keep Green all day. He's a top three WR this year.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Any QB #1 overall is weird IMO, but it always makes for an entertaining & interesting draft that's for sure.[/QUOTE]

Depends on the format. In two QB leagues if say 5 to 6 don't go in the first round I'm not sure folks know simple math. In standard leagues this year the Elite (Brady, Brees, Rodgers and maybe Stafford) shouldn't make it out of the first. Rodgers would be the safest pick at 1. I can see the argument for one of the elite runners with picks 1-5 (Foster,McCoy,Rice and maybe MJD). After that it should be Megatron and at least 3 of the QB's mentioned above.

Wanted to get some opinions. It'll be my first time doing an auction draft, and tested the waters in a mock. Here's what I came out with, and was wondering where the improvement would be needed from you smart folk:

RB: Jamaal Charles
RB: Adrian Peterson
WR: Percy Harvin
WR: Marques Colston
W/R: Vincent Jackson
K: David Akers
DEF: 49ers

BN: Matt Ryan
BN: Desean Jackson
BN: Antonio Brown
BN: Ravens
BN: Tony Gonzalez
BN: Shonne Greene

I did have money left over (bout $15), but filled all the spots. Whether this means I should spend more, or do some condensing, any help would be appreciated. I have a feeling I could get about the same picks if I wanted to go the same, somewhat safe spending, route.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never done an auction before - how does it work? Everyone has the same budget and every player is available to buy?

[quote name='Javery']I've never done an auction before - how does it work? Everyone has the same budget and every player is available to buy?[/QUOTE]

The one I am in, everyone has a $200 budget. Players are nominated and everyone bids if they want them. Highest bid gets that player. Im not sure whay happens if u run out of funds before the roster is filled...

[quote name='Javery']I've never done an auction before - how does it work? Everyone has the same budget and every player is available to buy?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='4thHorseman']The one I am in, everyone has a $200 budget. Players are nominated and everyone bids if they want them. Highest bid gets that player. Im not sure whay happens if u run out of funds before the roster is filled...[/QUOTE]

You are not allowed to over bid to the point where you can't fill your roster. You have to save at least $1 per vacancy on your roster.

How'd I do? 10 team standard.

QB: Mike Vick
WR: Miles Austin
WR: Jordy Nelson
WR: Hakeem Nicks
RB: Ray Rice
RB: Matt Forte
TE: Jacob Tamme
DEF: Buffalo

Bench:
Sidney Rice
Justin Blackmon
Jermaine Gresham
Jay Cutler
Reggie Bush
Titus Young

I was just offered Mike Vick and Sidney Rice for Matt Ryan and Eric Decker. I should probably accept that, right? I know Matt Ryan is everybody's favorite sleeper this year, but will he be good enough to win in a 10 team league? Will Vick stay healthy long enough in order for me to win? Should I try and trade for a different QB?

Jeez - you did great, IMO. Miles Austin and Vick are your only major question marks. I might hold on to Vick and ride it out until he inevitably gets hurt because he has more point potential than Matt Ryan - plus you have Cutler backing him up who is actually pretty good. Ray Rice and Matt Forte is a beastly combination. What was your draft spot?

bread's done
Back