2013 MLB Discussion

Good news for Machado. He didn't tear his ACL or MCL, and should be healed in six to eight weeks without surgery.

That is good news indeed!

Todd Helton ended his career at Coors Field with a HR and a double. The man is a class act and has been a model citizen in his career with Colorado. It makes me smile to see the man have some good karma-- only fitting to me that his last at-bat at Coors Field ends with a HR. I wish more players would stay with one team for their entire career. As someone who remembers as a kid watching Todd in his prime I have nothing but respect for the man. Would love to see him get a gig in baseball teaching young players how to have poise at the plate. I remember very fondly the story that ESPN ran that he had every at-bat archived on his iPod. Made me be proud to be a fan of his.

Todd Helton was a very good player during a time when there were so many questions about the other guys he playing with. Konerko is the same way.

Did you guys see that Cano wants 10 years $305 million? He must be smoking some good stuff with Jay-Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd Helton was a very good player during a time when there were so many questions about the other guys he playing with. Konerko is the same way.

Did you guys see that Cano wants 10 years $305 million? He must be smoking some good stuff with Jay-Z
I would be shocked if any team paid him that type of money. I am not sure if even Trout is worth that. If I were the Yankees I would offer him 6 years at $175 million and call it a day. The Dodgers can have him if he is looking for a 10 year deal.

The Yankees better just stand the hell back and laugh when no team offers him that. He's about to turn 31. I think giving him any more than 8 years is insane. If he wants a 10 year deal, he needs to factor in how ridiculously overpaid he would be for those final few years and take a lower yearly amount to compensate. When you factor that in, even 10 years, $220 million is a hell of a lot. And he still hasn't put up the individual numbers that A-Rod or Pujols did when they were commanding that kind of money anyway.

Cano is a good player, but I still don't see him as a team leader. The Yankees should make him an offer of what they think he's actually worth, and then just tell him "If another team is willing to pay you more than this, please, give us an opportunity to match it to make sure you retire in pinstripes as a great Yankee." And if he's "insulted" by that or doesn't give a shit about being a Yankee, then fuck him. Baseball is such a fickle sport where high paid players underperform and no name players play way over their heads, it's ridiculous allowing a player to dictate his "worth" with some threat that you'll be without him. The Cardinals sure don't seem to be missing Albert Pujols much.

No player is worth that kind of money over that long of a contract.  $30 million a year for 3-5 years is doable for players in their prime as barring injury they'll likely produce.

But with 10 years there's too much risk of being stuck with a huge contract you can't dump for years after they're on the decline and no longer one of the top handful of players in the game.

I hope the Yankees sign him to a nice fat debilitating contract  :D . That way they can have some more awful contracts to go along with Jeter, Texiera, CC, Arod. I really hope they keep rolling Jeter out at ss too.

Trout would be worth a $275 million contract right now. Problem with these huge contracts is you get a few good years out of them at most and then the rest of the years are awful. I don't think we will see any more $200 million contracts barring extreme cases (Trout, Kershaw types). Most of those contracts were handed out by the Yankees and Red Sox who were still afloat from the steroid era. I think you'll still see plenty of dumb, huge contracts handed out by desperate owners/gm's but those will resemble the Hamilton/Crawford types.

Remind me to never go to a Dodgers game. Jesus. What is it with their fans? One person killed. One guy in a coma. What's next?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9726950&categoryid=2521705

I hope the Yankees sign him to a nice fat debilitating contract :D . That way they can have some more awful contracts to go along with Jeter, Texiera, CC, Arod. I really hope they keep rolling Jeter out at ss too.
Seconded. Although, doesn't Jeter's contract end next year?

Jeter has a 2014 player option for $8 million. I don't know where his head is at, but considering how this disaster of a year went, he should just play out the contract , try to have a good year, and call it a career.

After 2012, I thought he still had a reasonable chance at 4,000 hits. But I'm not sure that I've ever seen a worse recovery from a broken ankle. If he keeps at it, he'll end up needing a cane to get around. Seems trivial for a guy with 5 titles, millions of dollars, and a ridiculous list of hot women who will sleep with him. It ain't worth it, brah, lol.

If Trout hits free agency at 24/25 (which could happen or couldn't happen), he will make over 300 Million. He is worth that much. Most experts and front office scouts view 1 WAR to about 5-6 million, though this number is always changing from year to year. 10 WAR would equate to around 60 million a year. Now, obviously that isn't going to happen, but it's not impossible to see him making 30 million or more a year. Hell, look at the Angels RAR, it's 58.5 (4th in baseball) and Trout has to be at least 75% of the Angels offense production. 

This is also coming from someone who really hates the Angels. 

Got two Indians playoff tickets so far let's see if I get to use them.  Even if things go well, one is for the Wild Card game which I'm thinking will be away and the other is for Game 4 of the divisional series.  That series could end before the game happens though doubtful.  I'm thinking we're going to get a tiebreaker with the Rangers here on Monday.

Got two Indians playoff tickets so far let's see if I get to use them. Even if things go well, one is for the Wild Card game which I'm thinking will be away and the other is for Game 4 of the divisional series. That series could end before the game happens though doubtful. I'm thinking we're going to get a tiebreaker with the Rangers here on Monday.
I think you overestimate the Rangers. They will drop two of the games against the Angels. I hope I am wrong but the Rays will lose tonight (never swept the Yanks in NY) and probably Friday (Hellickson pitching). The Indians should win out and host the wild card game against the Rays.

The pitching match-ups certainly benefit the Rangers against the Angels. I see the Rangers going 3-1 and praying they get some help.

I think you overestimate the Rangers. They will drop two of the games against the Angels. I hope I am wrong but the Rays will lose tonight (never swept the Yanks in NY) and probably Friday (Hellickson pitching). The Indians should win out and host the wild card game against the Rays.
Rangers have killed the Angels all year.

I don't think they make the playoffs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they win 3 out of 4.

Won't be sad to see Matt Garza leave in the off season. Just wish that we were under the old CBA where the Rangers would at least get a draft pick.

Edit: I thought it was a pitching issue. 4 errors is refuckingdiculous.

Wrong on number 1

Garza was pretty bad tonight, too. The errors didn't help, but he still was erratic as fuck. I hope the Angels sign him so he can continue to suck in the American League.

Player A            Player B

fWAR during the last 5 years:       12.7                 18

Career slashline:                  3.85/3.99/4.00       3.94/3.80/3.98

Both are free agents this year. Player A is expected to recieve a deal between 50-80 mill while player B might get a one year contract. Any gueses?   

It's always nice to play the Phillies to get the bats going again.
Well, when you play against Tyler Cloyd, any team is bound to get a ton of runs. Plus, you got shut down after he left the game, so don't put too much stock in getting 7 runs against a shit pitcher. Thankfully our bullpen has been looking much better lately.

Well, when you play against Tyler Cloyd, any team is bound to get a ton of runs. Plus, you got shut down after he left the game, so don't put too much stock in getting 7 runs against a shit pitcher. Thankfully our bullpen has been looking much better lately.
Well, we got shut down by some pretty bad pitchers against Milwaukee, so I guess it's progress to score runs off anyone at this point.

I hope the Phils do get better next year. I could see the division being a four team race depending on what the Mets do in the offseason and if they have Harvey for most of the year.

Well, we got shut down by some pretty bad pitchers against Milwaukee, so I guess it's progress to score runs off anyone at this point.

I hope the Phils do get better next year. I could see the division being a four team race depending on what the Mets do in the offseason and if they have Harvey for most of the year.
I doubt they will. A lot would have to go right for them to contend and I don't see them making any significant offseason signings. It's so painful watching NL East teams bringing up their top prospects and them having a huge impact. Sure Dom Brown has finally found himself, but I wish we had a Teheran, Harvey or Fernandez. Hopefully Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez won't be a huge bust.

All the Rangers need to do is win and they get to play more. I'd like to see Tampa Bay stumble again tomorrow so the Rangers don't have to play two play-in games, but I'll take it at this point.

Braves up 5-0 in the 4th.

Hope the Cubs can knock off the Cards.

Edit: Shouldn't ave posted that and jinxed them as Phillies got 4 in bottom of inning. *sigh*

The Rangers/Angels game looks like it could be another 1-0 Darvish loss. It would be his fifth of the year. 

In a rather disappointing season, the farewells to Mo and Pettitte this past week were really something special. Mo decides that his last game should be in Yankee Stadium and Andy pitches his final game in his hometown and throws a complete game. It's not a World Series win, but considering the circumstances, that was great to see.

The Yankees better just stand the hell back and laugh when no team offers him that. He's about to turn 31. I think giving him any more than 8 years is insane. If he wants a 10 year deal, he needs to factor in how ridiculously overpaid he would be for those final few years and take a lower yearly amount to compensate. When you factor that in, even 10 years, $220 million is a hell of a lot. And he still hasn't put up the individual numbers that A-Rod or Pujols did when they were commanding that kind of money anyway.

Cano is a good player, but I still don't see him as a team leader. The Yankees should make him an offer of what they think he's actually worth, and then just tell him "If another team is willing to pay you more than this, please, give us an opportunity to match it to make sure you retire in pinstripes as a great Yankee." And if he's "insulted" by that or doesn't give a shit about being a Yankee, then fuck him. Baseball is such a fickle sport where high paid players underperform and no name players play way over their heads, it's ridiculous allowing a player to dictate his "worth" with some threat that you'll be without him. The Cardinals sure don't seem to be missing Albert Pujols much.
Yep we got a stud with the Angels draft pick (Wacha) and not paying Pujols meant we could resign Molina, Craig, and Wainwright while Beltran has provided pretty much what Pujols did in 2011.

I'm a little confused on the post-season on mlb.tv. Is that included with the "year" I paid for, or is that extra? Do I even get to see it at all? I see a thing on mlb.tv about post season alternate angles companion for $4.99, but it doesn't sound like that is the main feed anyway. Do I get the main feed on MLB.tv?

It is such BS that steroid players are allowed to play in minor league games while they are suspended which is just what Nelson Cruz has been doing. 

No.

MLB.TV Postseason Live Blackout: Due to Major League Baseball exclusivities, during the MLB Postseason, all live games will be blacked out in the United States (including the territories of Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands) and Canada. If you are an MLB.TV Subscriber outside of the United States and Canada, each of these games will be available live and as an archived game as soon as possible after the conclusion of the applicable game. If you are an MLB.TV subscriber within the United States or Canada, each of these games will be available as an archived game approximately 90 minutes after the conclusion of the applicable game.

Postseason.TV: Subscribers to Postseason.TV, available only during the MLB Postseason, will be able to view live alternative video feeds (excluding the broadcast feed) from MLB Postseason games without blackout restrictions.

Live Audio of those games subject to the blackout restrictions reflected above is available as part of any MLB.TV subscription, as part of MLB.com Gameday Audio.

Yeah, no, it's not "bullshit" that players can play in instructional leagues. It's perfectly legal and abides by the rules. 

How so? A player shouldn't be able to stay in shape and play in games while they are suspended?
No they should be forced to do that on their own time. They CHEATED. How is that fair to other players that work hard and play legally? They should be punished. Not just get some time off. The punishment is a slap on the wrist as it is. The fact that they are allowed to come back and play in the playoffs is bad enough, let alone play in games with the team in any level of the minors while they are suspended.

The punishment is 50 games. That's it. The player has the right to play in whatever instructional league he wants and do whatever they want to get back to peak shape. And technically, they are doing on "their own time." 

No they should be forced to do that on their own time. They CHEATED.
Practically every single baseball player since the game was popularized has cheated. Baseball IS cheating. They cheated 100 years ago, they will cheat 100 years from now. The only way to stop cheating in baseball is to get rid of baseball all together.

Practically every single baseball player since the game was popularized has cheated. Baseball IS cheating. They cheated 100 years ago, they will cheat 100 years from now. The only way to stop cheating in baseball is to get rid of baseball all together.
This. Jonah Keri wrote a great article about A-Rod that highlighted just how many people have cheated over time. Mays and Aaron cheated and no one cares. Also no one cares that every football player is a roided up freak.

Also if someone is working on their game while they aren't getting paid, what is the big deal?

I got an ESPN Mobile Alert earlier today saying Francona joked that the Indians made the playoffs because of chicken and beer.

It's funny, but us it really worth a Mobile Alert?

bread's done
Back