2013 MLB Discussion

...and the umpires try to screw the Rays again. Between that called third strike against Zobrist earlier in the year and that call just now these umps in Texas are top notch. How do SIX UMPIRES miss a call that blatantly? It wasn't even close. It directly cost the Rays a run and possibly more.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/g9Nl3kHRMpU[/youtube]

Ah how fitting. The cheater makes the last out. Rays win despite the umpires. Another Rangers collapse.

Last edited by a moderator:
catch.gif

Yep we got a stud with the Angels draft pick (Wacha) and not paying Pujols meant we could resign Molina, Craig, and Wainwright while Beltran has provided pretty much what Pujols did in 2011.
Yeah, I'm so happy that Pujols signed with the Angles. A long time ago the Cardinals figured out that since they're a small to medium market team that the only way for them to win championships was for them to focus on developing talent in the farm system. Paying Pujols more than what he was worth past his usefulness as a top player made no sense, but it was an emotional decision based on his play in the past and I get that.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing the Cardinals in the playoffs and maybe the Angles will do better next year. I really do not want to see what happens when he becomes an aging designated hitter and they're still paying him 20 million a year or whatever.

Yeah, I'm so happy that Pujols signed with the Angles. A long time ago the Cardinals figured out that since they're a small to medium market team that the only way for them to win championships was for them to focus on developing talent in the farm system. Paying Pujols more than what he was worth past his usefulness as a top player made no sense, but it was an emotional decision based on his play in the past and I get that.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing the Cardinals in the playoffs and maybe the Angles will do better next year. I really do not want to see what happens when he becomes an aging designated hitter and they're still paying him 20 million a year or whatever.
He's already an aging DH. If he drops off much further he'll have to be benched against right-handed pitchers.

That's why I hope the Yanks let Cano walk if he won't be reasonable. A 31 year old player even on an 8 year deal makes me nervous as hell. As it is, the Yankees are actually ALMOST finally getting to a point where they can get out from under many of these big/bad contracts.

Rivera is gone. Pettitte is gone. Granderson is gone. Phil Hughes is gone. Jeter has one year left. Teixeira and Sabathia have 3 years left. A-Rod has 4 years left (or less depending on what happens with his suspension).

There are still some huge numbers there. But a lot of money is opening up, and the team could actually have some flexibility, as long as they don't bury themselves under Cano. It'll be interesting to see what they do...and if Brian Cashman is truly allowed to choose the players for once.

It would be pretty funny if the Braves and Rays played in the World Series. BJ and Elliot facing off against their former team. Bj was a pretty good signing  :lol:

Getting ready to head out to Progressive Field.  This isn't my first Indians playoff game, but my first where it's a win or go home situation so it should be fun.  It's nice seeing the buzz around here when one of the teams actually make it to the playoffs, it happens so rarely that it feels important.  Though I guess it was only a few years ago when the Cavs were making the playoffs, but I think it's more of an Indians town here than a Cavs town.  Hopefully the game is a blowout, but a good game down to the wire would be fine too.

Bring on Boston. I hope Detroit wins against the A's. I hate when the Rays have to travel to the West coast. They always struggle as seen by their huge slide this year in the second half when they went out West

MLB and Bud Selig's dream matchup: Boston vs LAD

MLB and Bud Selig's nightmare: Pittsburgh/Atlanta vs Tampa Bay/Oakland

The Tampa Bay Rays finished the season with an average rating of 4.93 per broadcast on Sun Sports, according to Fox Sports. A 4.93 rating translates to an average audience of 89,000 households for each Rays game.

I'm happy our numbers went up but they are still down from the 5.9 we posted in 2010.

The Yankees tv ratings dropped 31% this year. Yet a staggering 111,000 viewers disappeared from the Yankees’ telecasts for each game on the YES Network, leaving an average of 244,000 devoted souls to watch.

If I had to throw a prediction out there, I'd the say the World Series will most likely be Boston vs St. Louis. I'd like to see Pittsburgh, but I doubt that happens. I'd settle for the Dodgers or Red Sox. I'd like to see Mike Young or Mike Napoli get a ring. 

Bring on Boston. I hope Detroit wins against the A's. I hate when the Rays have to travel to the West coast. They always struggle as seen by their huge slide this year in the second half when they went out West

MLB and Bud Selig's dream matchup: Boston vs LAD

MLB and Bud Selig's nightmare: Pittsburgh/Atlanta vs Tampa Bay/Oakland

The Tampa Bay Rays finished the season with an average rating of 4.93 per broadcast on Sun Sports, according to Fox Sports. A 4.93 rating translates to an average audience of 89,000 households for each Rays game.

I'm happy our numbers went up but they are still down from the 5.9 we posted in 2010.

The Yankees tv ratings dropped 31% this year. Yet a staggering 111,000 viewers disappeared from the Yankees’ telecasts for each game on the YES Network, leaving an average of 244,000 devoted souls to watch.
And I hope the A's win :D. To be honest, I don't see the Rays beating the Red Sox. I feel like the Red Sox are a more complete team and more consistent. Of course, anything can happen on any given day.

Actually the only reason Boston has such a good record against the Rays this year is because of their inability to hit with RISP during most of the games. Boston had 4 walk off wins. In most of the early games the Rays offense was literally not scoring against anyone. It was ugly. The games later in the season are more indicative of the real match up between them. Tampa Bay held Boston to a .207 BAA in the season series. Moore, and Price dominate the Red Sox. The Sox are hitting .165 off of Moore. .215 off Price. Alex Cobb has been fantastic since he was hit in the head. The Sox are hitting .256 off of Cobb.

If they can steal 1 or even 2 games in Boston, the Sox are in trouble. The only pitcher the Rays struggle against is Buckholtz. Lester, Lackey and Peavy aren't an issue. I really don't understand why Boston isn't trying to get Buckholtz to go against the Rays twice. He's killed us this year. 

Boston was more consistent because of their offense this year. If the Rays had the Red Soxs offense they would have won 105-110 games. The Rays pitching shut Boston down though so I'm not really that worried about it. They got the monkey off their back in 2008. 

Kershaw's curveball wasn't there for him at all for the first 5 innings and he still ends up with 1 earned and 12 K's in an away playoff game. Dude is insane. Anyone seen a pitch track on him yet? The announcers said he was throwing a cutter like pitch. 

Third most strikeouts in Dodgers playoff history. Most since Koufax in '63. 

Self indulgent side note: I always thought I would never see a Dodger pitcher as good as Drysdale/Koufax because that's what my dad and grandpa told me. Nobody better than Sandy. And even if we did get someone as good, it was going to be some douche superstar full of himself brought in on a contract bigger than the GDP of South America. 

And in the last two years he's won the Roberto Clemente and Branch Rickey awards. Youngest ever winner of the Branch Rickey. 

I'm going to be telling my grandchildren that they'll never see anyone as good as Clayton. 

Reds fire Dusty Baker and A-Rod is suing Major League Baseball.

I find myself agreeing with both decisions. 

I'm officially worried now that Cards have to go to Pittsburgh with an almost auto loss in game 3 against Liriano and then a rookie in game 4 to try to get back to STL for Wainwright vs. Cole showdown.

Lynn better be banished to the bullpen to be replaced by Miller IF the Cardinals survive this.

Well the Rays crapped the bed. I think their travels finally caught up to them. They have been playing sloppy, sloppy baseball these past two games

As a Braves fan, I hope Kershaw crashes and burns tonight. I'm kind of worried that our fate rests in the arm of Freddy Garcia. I think I might feel better if David Hale was starting.

If the Braves lose, I'm pulling for an Oakland-Pittsburgh World Series.

I didn't even know anyone picked Sweaty Freddy up. I thought Baltimore just released him and he retired.

Umps blew that call on the steal in the 8th inning in the Rays game. Berry was clearly out and they called him safe. It wasn't even close. It must be nice to be a team like the Red Sox and Yankees. 

Uehara giving up a postseason home run. Who saw that coming?

I can't even watch this Braves game. I'm tired of seeing that fat-faced bitch Carl Crawford going deep. I hope Fredi Gonzalez is job hunting this time next week.

Uehara giving up a postseason home run. Who saw that coming?

I can't even watch this Braves game. I'm tired of seeing that fat-faced bitch Carl Crawford going deep. I hope Fredi Gonzalez is job hunting this time next week.
Didn't see it, but did he have that dumb look on his face when he gave up the bomb?

Dear Braves fans,

Tell your team to stop trying for about the next two decades to not get your hopes up.  Maybe then you won't feel as much heartbreak as you do when you get eliminated from the playoffs next year in the same miserable fashion.  You know, as well as everyone else, that the Braves just can't win in the Playoffs.  And no, while you won a Championship against Cleveland in 1995, remember one thing:  It's Cleveland.

Love,

KingBroly

Didn't see it, but did he have that dumb look on his face when he gave up the bomb?
Yes. That bent over, butt out goofy look that he does.

USATSI_7478897_154511044_lowres.jpg

Juan Uribe just sent the Dodgers to the NLCS.
What is it with Juan Uribe and clutch hr's in the playoffs. Dude can't get a bunt down twice in a row and then jacks one

Peter Gammons trashed the trop because he is a Red Sox's homer.

“Maybe if the Rays played in an amusement park rather than this joke they’d do better than be last in the majors in attendance”

In response Raysindex.com posted this and it's true

FACT #1: The pinball machine known as Fenway park affects more balls in play every year by 500-fold than the catwalks and has impacted more playoff games and pennant races in a negative manner than the Trop ever will (Bucky Dent, anybody?).

FACT #2: As recently as the 1980s, the Red Sox consistently finished between fifth and ninth in the AL in attendance.

Attendance for Roger Clemens’ 20-strikeout game in 1986 was 13,414.

FACT #3: If The Trop was 100 yrs old it would be quirky and iconic. If Fenway was 25 yrs old it would be a piece of sh*t.

Peter Gammons trashed the Trop not because he's a Red Sox homer. He trashed the Trop because it's a dump. An ugly dump that requires unique rules and plays on Home Depot carpet.

Even when it was built everybody thought it was a dump. Hence why it sat unused for a decade and why the Rays want a new stadium ASAP.

You're a Nationals fan, a franchise that has won 4 playoff games since 1969.
To further expound on this, EVERY MLB team other than the Nationals has won at least 4 playoff games in a single season, while the Nationals franchise has managed 4 wins in nearly a half century. So, yes, go ahead and talk shit about playoff failure.

Peter Gammons trashed the Trop not because he's a Red Sox homer. He trashed the Trop because it's a dump. An ugly dump that requires unique rules and plays on Home Depot carpet.

Even when it was built everybody thought it was a dump. Hence why it sat unused for a decade and why the Rays want a new stadium ASAP.
I'm not saying the Trop is a great stadium. It isn't, but what exactly makes it a "dump"? I love when people throw that word at the Trop. Yea it's not a great stadium and it has its quirks, but it is comfortable and its not falling apart or anything. Gammons is a Red Sox homer. Fenway is sh*ttier than the Trop. The only reason people don't call it out is because it's "historical". The stupid a** green monster makes so many outs into hits. The stadium has seats that don't even face the field properly. The clubhouses are awful. It smells like piss.

The catwalks at the Trop hardly ever come into play. Being an Orioles fan you should know that if you actually watch any games when they play in the Trop. The only reason the catwalks get so much attention is because during the playoffs you get one or two balls that hit the catwalks and people freak. Also the announcers think it is so hard to figure out the catwalk rules so they talk about it every 10 minutes when they aren't sucking off the Red Soxs. Trashing the Trop is just a worn out joke. The only people that don't think Fenway is a piece of sh*t are people in Massachusetts.

In your opinion why is the Trop a dump? I'd love to know. Have you ever actually been there or are you calling it a dump because it's fun to jump on the trash the Rays stadium bandwagon?

It's not how balls play or anything that has to do with the Trop being a dump. Just looking it at you can see that it is a dump. I went to a game there about 3 years ago and it was by far the worst Major League stadium I have ever been. And I went to several games at Dolphin Stadium. I'd say Oakland's stadium is worse. Both teams need new stadiums ASAP.

It's a dump because it's ugly as sin, uses carpet for grass (though I will admit they spruced for the better carpet than what they had 3-4 years ago), sounds like a high school gym most of the time, and it's, again, ugly as sin. Everything is darkened, the outfield is boring, and it has no skyline to view. The best thing about the stadium are the manta ray tanks, and you can't see them during normal play. Fenway is by no means the best ever (though better than Wrigley), but it's miles ahead of the Trop. Hell, even O.co is better, and that's saying something. I loathe it whenever the Orioles (or ESPN) travel down there because I can never truly enjoy the broadcast even if the Orioles win big. At least the Metrodome used Daylight bulbs instead of Soft White.

You could say that about any domed stadium really. It looks ugly. That doesn't make it a "dump". It is pretty funny whenever I go to Rays games and talk to people there. Rays fans love the stadium. How exactly is Fenway miles ahead of the Trop? Every reason you gave for it being a dump was basically it is a dome. You can't really do much with a dome to make it look nice. You can't really grow grass in a dome. You can't show a skyline in a dome unless you have a fairly new one and it has a retractable roof. Why does it sound like a high school gym? You don't like the cowbells I take it?

Admit it. You can't enjoy an Orioles broadcast down there because the Rays are usually beating them. 

Domes without retractable roofs are inherently awful. But, guess what? Most of them are long gone. The Twins jumped ship to Target Field and those fans love it. Tampa is the last one left. There's a reason for that. And Tropicana Field is one of the worst ever. Hence why it was laughed off when it was first built and only used because it was convienent. You think the Rays would rather play in that crap hole than someplace like PNC, Pac Bell, Camden, Busch, etc.? fuck no. Even the players hate it.

Almost forgot, but the bullpens are in play as well. I despise it when the bullpens are not separated from the field of play. It's the only blemish on the otherwise-amazing Pac Bell Park.

Nobody likes Tropicana Field. At best, they tolerate it.

Stop pretending that anyone who dislikes the Trop is a Rays hater. People dislike the Trop because it's fucking horrible. There is a reason EVERYBODY ranks the stadium as the worst baseball stadium and one of the worst overall.

bread's done
Back