2013 Thrift Store Thread

I stopped at a thrift I barely go to and today found these

N64 controller lime green $2
N64 controller atomic purple $2
N64 controller gray $2
007 for N64 $3
NES rf switch $1

[quote name='jk17866']Stopped at a few local thrifts again today. I had to stop back at the place I just bought my boxed N64 from because she forgot to put the a/v cable in the box. So grabbed that and picked up:

- Super Mario Advance & Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario 3 (GBA, cart only) - $4

At a place called Wayne's world I got Blackjack for the NES for $5, cart only.

Then right before work, stopped at another place and saw nothing at first. Asked if they had anymore games and the kid grabbed the stack that they look up on ebay before they sell them. Found these:

- Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball & Zelda II (NES, cart only). Paid $30 for them.

Sucks that they look everything up or else that could've been a great steal. They still give me decent deals I suppose, seeing as how DD Softball alone goes in the $50 range loose. Just wish I could find these games at the other stores that don't look them up![/QUOTE]

Nice! Lol Wayne's world, haven't been there in awhile. He moved from another location years ago. I still find games with his little gold circular sticker on them all the time.

Video game finds have been virtually non-existent this week, but I did find one of these today for $16:

http://www.amazon.com/K-15160-CP-Co...out-Polished/dp/B000MF6UJ8/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

I was actually looking at Home Depot a few weeks ago for a new faucet, since the one in the kitchen is circa 1980s, leaky and in need of replacing. I had it installed in 20 minutes and it works awesome! I love how the faucet itself pulls out into a sprayer.

I finally found something not horribly overpriced at GW. A copy of GTA:San Andreas strategy guide from Brady games and a copy of COD:BLOPS strategy guide no price so she only charged me $.70 each.

This isn't really a thrift store or pawn shop pick up, but I didn't know where else to put it really. I got this bundle at a computer shop that fixes computers and also has a gaming room for online play. The guy was trying to sell a bundle of stuff: PS1 game & system lot, Dreamcast game & system lot and a small tube TV for $125. He wanted $50 for the PS1, $75 for the Dreamcast and $50 for the TV (which is ridiculous) if bought seperately. The Dreamcast bundle didn't have many good games, so just decided to get the PS1 bundle. So for $50, here's what I got:

sony1s.jpg

- PS1 Console w/ Hookups (extra a/v cable), 2 controllers (1 original & 1 dual shock) and 2 memory cards

sony2m.jpg

Love the big box games. Got: A-Train, Assault Rigs, Alien Trilogy, Warhawk & Doom. All complete and in very good shape.

sony3f.jpg

Rest of the games: Crash Bandicoot 1-3, Syphon Filter 1-3, 007: Tomorrow Never Dies, Disruptor, Duke Nukem: Land Of The Babes, Time To Kill & Total Meltdown, Power Slave, War Games Defcon 1, Final Doom, Fear Effect, Tomb Raider, Hexen, Medal Of Honor & Underground and Quake II. Not a spectacular lot of games, but at less than $2 a piece, can't go wrong.

sony4u.jpg

Tomb Raider & Syphon Filter 3 strategy guides

Everything's in excellent condition and complete, you can tell this guy really took care of his stuff. BTW, this was a Monday purchase, just didn't have any time to post it.

[quote name='jk17866']This isn't really a thrift store or pawn shop pick up, but I didn't know where else to put it really. I got this bundle at a computer shop that fixes computers and also has a gaming room for online play. The guy was trying to sell a bundle of stuff: PS1 game & system lot, Dreamcast game & system lot and a small tube TV for $125. He wanted $50 for the PS1, $75 for the Dreamcast and $50 for the TV (which is ridiculous) if bought seperately. The Dreamcast bundle didn't have many good games, so just decided to get the PS1 bundle. So for $50, here's what I got:

sony1s.jpg

- PS1 Console w/ Hookups (extra a/v cable), 2 controllers (1 original & 1 dual shock) and 2 memory cards

sony2m.jpg

Love the big box games. Got: A-Train, Assault Rigs, Alien Trilogy, Warhawk & Doom. All complete and in very good shape.

sony3f.jpg

Rest of the games: Crash Bandicoot 1-3, Syphon Filter 1-3, 007: Tomorrow Never Dies, Disruptor, Duke Nukem: Land Of The Babes, Time To Kill & Total Meltdown, Power Slave, War Games Defcon 1, Final Doom, Fear Effect, Tomb Raider, Hexen, Medal Of Honor & Underground and Quake II. Not a spectacular lot of games, but at less than $2 a piece, can't go wrong.

sony4u.jpg

Tomb Raider & Syphon Filter 3 strategy guides

Everything's in excellent condition and complete, you can tell this guy really took care of his stuff. BTW, this was a Monday purchase, just didn't have any time to post it.[/QUOTE]

Does A-Train have the pack of Sim City trading cards? If not, it's not complete ;)

I had a lucky find this morning. I dropped my daughter off at school and headed over to Goodwill when they opened to pick up a shelf I bought last night.

As soon as I walked in, on the table where they keep the books were three boxes. One had a fat PS2 with cables and a controller (and dirty as hell), another had a black N64 with all cables and three controllers and the third had... a mini SNES with cables and controllers. In addition, inside the box were cart only copies of:

Super Mario World
Star Fox
Jurassic Park
Captain America
Jungle Strike
Frogger
Pokemon Blue
Mario Kart 64

The system was $10 while the games were tagged $1/ea, so I took it all and left happy.

Went to a local pawn shop, almost didnt go since the first time we went they were overpriced, but glad we did, picked up: All $8 a piece.
-Pokemon Soulsilver
-Pokemon White
-Pokemon Platinum
-Pokemon Diamond
-Pokemon Pearl
-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of time

^^ Two great finds, real nice!

[quote name='sp00ge']Does A-Train have the pack of Sim City trading cards? If not, it's not complete ;)
[/QUOTE]

Lol, actually upon inspection, I don't think it actually included the pack with the game. There's a form that you have to fill out and send in to recieve your SimCity Starter Pack, and yes, the form is included. Take that!

[quote name='jk17866']^^ Two great finds, real nice!

Lol, actually upon inspection, I don't think it actually included the pack with the game. There's a form that you have to fill out and send in to recieve your SimCity Starter Pack, and yes, the form is included. Take that![/QUOTE]

I see your claim and raise you this from my collection:

Boom! ;)

There are, my a-train does not mention the sim city trading cards. I'm moving and have everything packed or i'd take a picture.

I love longboxes!

Maybe it's a sticker, i don't know.

a-train-para-ps1psx_MLC-F-3724740209_012013.jpg

Not a bad stop yesterday at GW, got The Hobbit for $3, and the MSA and KOTOR (sealed) for $4 each. Cooking Mama was technically free, since whoever donated MSA stuffed that one in there as well.

8816840810_d5e2052b75_z.jpg

[quote name='jer7583']There are, my a-train does not mention the sim city trading cards. I'm moving and have everything packed or i'd take a picture.

I love longboxes!

Maybe it's a sticker, i don't know.

a-train-para-ps1psx_MLC-F-3724740209_012013.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's just a sticker on the box, not actually printed. I wonder what the difference is, rarity-wise, between the two.

The local Goodwill today had a bunch of loose consoles (meaning no wires, cotrollers, or games) today that were all comically overpriced. They wanted $8 for a Purple Gamecube, $15 each for a PS1 and Sega Saturn and $25 each for a PS2 original model and original Font Loading NES. Why would anyone even consider paying those prices with no way to test anything, and no retun policy? Considering the number of different consoles they had, they were probably broken and passed off to Goodwill by a local collector or reseller. There's a Game XChange right down the street, it's possible they are just passing off their damaged goods to GW.

[quote name='spmahn']The local Goodwill today had a bunch of loose consoles (meaning no wires, cotrollers, or games) today that were all comically overpriced. They wanted $8 for a Purple Gamecube, $15 each for a PS1 and Sega Saturn and $25 each for a PS2 original model and original Font Loading NES. Why would anyone even consider paying those prices with no way to test anything, and no retun policy? Considering the number of different consoles they had, they were probably broken and passed off to Goodwill by a local collector or reseller. There's a Game XChange right down the street, it's possible they are just passing off their damaged goods to GW.[/QUOTE]
Strange, the Goodwills around here always allow a return within two weeks, I thought they were all like that. One of the main reasons why I like shopping there compared to other thrifts / yard sales / CL.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']Strange, the Goodwills around here always allow a return within two weeks, I thought they were all like that. One of the main reasons why I like shopping there compared to other thrifts / yard sales / CL.[/QUOTE]

Out here, it's 7 days period. But only electronics (and Target before they phased it out) are eligible for a cash refund. Anything else is exchanged.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']Strange, the Goodwills around here always allow a return within two weeks, I thought they were all like that. One of the main reasons why I like shopping there compared to other thrifts / yard sales / CL.[/QUOTE]

It's entirely up to the individual store. The local store here don't allow any returns, period, once you pay for it, it's yours, so choose wisely. Now I can understand why a thrift store like Goodwill would have such a policy, but if that's how it's going to be, don't charge ridiculous prices, especially for items you can't even guarantee are working. The worst thing that happens though is when I see items on the shelf that are obviously broken or missing essential pieces, and are still priced as though they were complete and working. Stuff like that shouldn't even be on the shelf, or at least should be relegated to a low priced junk section.

Loose consoles should, at most, be $5 a piece since you cannot verify whether or not they work. At that price, even if it's broken, someone can still likely harvest some working parts from it so it's not a total loss.

Boy, am I glad I pay attention to these threads...

Got out of work early and went to the Half-Price Books I used to go in all the time, since they're doing their "discount" weekend. They must have a new manager or something, because all the games and consoles were now marked at essentially eBay prices. Even a 20% discount was asking too much. Dead to me.

Stopped at the Goodwill down the street from my house, and first find a stack of PS3 games in the case...all older ones, not worth much, except for The Orange Box, marked at $10. Claimed it and kept looking. Then found Nascar Racing 2003 Season tucked under a bunch of empty cases for $1! It's case and disc only, but the CD Key's there. Wouldn't have thought about it, but I remembered some of the conversations here. Makes up for not being able to shop at HBP anymore.

The Goodwill's I go to hardly ever have games or consoles and if they do are way overpriced. Half Price books is just as bad. I did get a Xbox 360 copy of Dishonored for $15 a few months ago but that is only because I had a 50% off coupon...:( I was looking for a real cheap DVD player for the bedroom and found one at goodwill for $2.99 so I grabbed that. I got it home and the DVD drive door wouldn't open so after I took it apart and messed with it I couldn't get it to work so I just tossed it out instead of returning it because it had a copy of Spaceballs in it so I figured 2.99 for Spaceballs on DVD was good enough...

So I was at Target doing some Ipoll survey on my phone, basically I got $16 for scanning barcodes and buying a $3 box of cereal. I went to GW since its right there and Im glad I did.

Bioshock Infinite for Xbox360, complete- $7
Super Smash Bros Brawl for Wii, complete- $5
Sandisk 8GB SDHC card, brand new- $7

The girl said the 2 other workers totally wanted those games, LOLZ!

While Not a gaming find, I found a Star Wars Ultimate FX Lightsaber for $3 at my Goodwill.

I don't know anything about them, I just bought it because it was cheap and looked cool. No box and slightly beat up unfortunately. Looking on the Internet I think its the anakin handle but has a green saber? none the less for $3 its pretty cool.

[quote name='r00kie']While Not a gaming find, I found a Star Wars Ultimate FX Lightsaber for $3 at my Goodwill.

I don't know anything about them, I just bought it because it was cheap and looked cool. No box and slightly beat up unfortunately. Looking on the Internet I think its the anakin handle but has a green saber? none the less for $3 its pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

A green Anakin? Odd, since the only green force FX lightsabers are Luke and Yoda. Does yours light up fully? I have a green Luke and a red Vader and both have a few loose LEDs and either flicker or don't light at all in sections.

[quote name='sp00ge']A green Anakin? Odd, since the only green force FX lightsabers are Luke and Yoda. Does yours light up fully? I have a green Luke and a red Vader and both have a few loose LEDs and either flicker or don't light at all in sections.[/QUOTE]

It seems to light up fully but about 3/4 of the way up it seems slightly dimmer so maybe there is a loose one in there...I'm thinking whoever had this may have swapped blades with either the yoda or luke then?

[quote name='r00kie']It seems to light up fully but about 3/4 of the way up it seems slightly dimmer so maybe there is a loose one in there...I'm thinking whoever had this may have swapped blades with either the yoda or luke then?[/QUOTE]

It could be. I'm still trying to figure out how to disassemble mine without breaking them so I can fix the flickering/dead LEDs.

[quote name='TheHeef']Naperville, IL[/QUOTE]

Too bad, I love that one. Used to be great, but I never get over there unless visiting the mother in law. Check out Bloomingdale if you get a chance.

[quote name='Bing147']Too bad, I love that one. Used to be great, but I never get over there unless visiting the mother in law. Check out Bloomingdale if you get a chance.[/QUOTE]

Next time I visit my mother. She's up around there.

Bloomsburg, PA Goodwill now checks game prices on Amazon >.>

Saw a worker carrying a bag with a gameboy and games and stopped her and asked the price $26, we looked the price up on amazon.

Walked out with
Records $0.25 each
Johnny Cash
Beethoven 5th symphony
Beethoven 1st symphony

Books (hardbacks in bold)
Opinions by O. Henry (shape is a little rough, but I love his writing) $5
Tom Clancy splinter cell $0.49

so Not bad at all, my sister grabbed some kids books at $0.25 ea as well.

8760754390_28959b83b6_z.jpg

Pretty good Sega haul. Went to a local thrift store to pick up an AC Adapter and asked if they had any game stuff not out yet. The lady working brought me a big bag and left me go through it. I told here that on average games like what they had with me glancing at it were about $1 each any more if they were to trade them anywhere. So I picked up 10 genesis games.

Gargoyles (no case)
Bass Masters Classic Pro Edition
Tom and Jerry: Frantic Antics
NBA Jam TE
World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
A Dinosaurs Tale
Sports Talk Baseball
Sonic the Hegehog
Sylvester and Tweety in Cagey Gapers
Mickey's Ultimate Challenge

All together came out to $12

8841137162_fdaf12cc92_z.jpg

Went to a thrift shop for this deal. Walked in and asked how much games were. I picked up the following for $2:

Heavy Rain (PS3)
Uncharted 3 PS3)
Tony Hawks American Wasteland (360)

$6 for all of them!

8841160402_7eeb290193_z.jpg

This was a Goodwill pickup. Ended up paying $4 for Star Wars Rebel Strike Rouge Squadron III.

8841199028_2165bbe2e9_z.jpg

Found this at Goodwill. I haven't seen this game before but I know that the publisher Victory Games is decent. I ended up with $3 in it and walked out with Across 5 Aprils.

Found a Sony Hi-8 camcorder at GW today for $7. Took it home, charged it, everything works. Should flip for $100 or so...which I'll probably go back and spend there again. :D

NOTHING gaming-wise worth buying at my Goodwill, it would seem. Saw a GBA once with two games for $30, and I see a bunch of ps2 sports games, but nothing worth picking up. Tons of clothes, though. It's where I buy a lot of my work clothes. Within the last year, I've picked up an Armani dress shirt there for $7, a pair of Allen Edmonds shoes for $20, and a Gucci tie for $24. All nice deals.

My GW tapes their cases shut. So today I found a stack of DS Pokemon games for 5 each. Score. I made the rookie mistake of not checking inside. Got 5 empty cases for $25.

But, I did get:

Ps2

Kingdom Hearts GH
Kingdom Hearts 2 Black
Time Crisis 2

GameCube

Sonic Adventure DX
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Mega Collection
Harvest Moon
Yu-Gi-Oh
Mario Party 7
Megaman Network Transmission

All for $2 each so not a total loss :)

[quote name='Sivarticus']My GW tapes their cases shut. So today I found a stack of DS Pokemon games for 5 each. Score. I made the rookie mistake of not checking inside. Got 5 empty cases for $25.

But, I did get:

Ps2

Kingdom Hearts GH
Kingdom Hearts 2 Black
Time Crisis 2

GameCube

Sonic Adventure DX
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Mega Collection
Harvest Moon
Yu-Gi-Oh
Mario Party 7
Megaman Network Transmission

All for $2 each so not a total loss :)[/QUOTE]

I'd go in and complain about that. If they tape the cases then the should be sure the game is in there.

Nice finds all around, Mirpkered! I rarely find any good board games in my locals (other than the very common ones), so I'd say that was probably the best of the lot (especially if complete).

Stopped at goodwill today and found a gameboy color for 5.38- It's yellow and says Tommy Hilfiger on it. I think it's a limited edition. It was with two games for .88 each, Wario Land and Super Mario Bros. Deluxe. Non gaming related, found the first nine volumes of Negima for .88 each.

[quote name='kewlrabbit']Stopped at goodwill today and found a gameboy color for 5.38- It's yellow and says Tommy Hilfiger on it. I think it's a limited edition. It was with two games for .88 each, Wario Land and Super Mario Bros. Deluxe. Non gaming related, found the first nine volumes of Negima for .88 each.[/QUOTE]

Not quite as valuable as Id of thought. But really not bad. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

I went to a goodwill today that I never go to because they have ridiculous prices on all game stuff, I found a wavebird without the receiver for $4, i thought maybe i'd gotten lucky and something got through with a decent price. I go to the checkout and decide to open the battery compartment and it's totally covered in battery acid and is a complete mess, not worth the time. It was a good reminder to always check the battery compartment in used items before buying.

[quote name='wheels']I went to a goodwill today that I never go to because they have ridiculous prices on all game stuff, I found a wavebird without the receiver for $4, i thought maybe i'd gotten lucky and something got through with a decent price. I go to the checkout and decide to open the battery compartment and it's totally covered in battery acid and is a complete mess, not worth the time. It was a good reminder to always check the battery compartment in used items before buying.[/QUOTE]

That's why I try to remember to keep a mini screwdriver in my pocket when I go out thrifting.

Went to a bunch of Goodwills today with the wife(she was hunting for crafting stuff) and found a chipped psx for $5(it had a burned game in the cd drive so I assumed it was chipped) it it is chipped and actually played the burned game.

And probably my best find ever at a goodwill a Gamecube Component Cable for $2; it was attached to a gamecube, but the cable itself was marked for 2 so i just bought that since the cube had cheese on it.

Made another small, local pickup today. For $18 I got:

- Metroid, Kid Icarus & Castlevania (NES, carts only)

Not a huge steal or anything, but a good enough deal for me.

Funny how I picked up the Metroid Prime Echoes bonus disc recently, and then yesterday I ended up finding a complete great shape copy of
icongamecube.gif
Metroid Prime with the bonus disc for $4. Guess its time to sell my vanilla copy of MP now.

Today I picked up:

PS2

Red Dead Revolver
Hitman 2
Gran Turismo 4

Xbox

Doom 3
Chronicles of Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay
Enter the Matrix
Fallout Brotherhood of Steal
House of the Dead III

$18 after tax. What do you think? I was all excited but my friend ruined my high when he guessed the price and said $5.

[quote name='gpgorbosjr']Today I picked up:

PS2

Red Dead Revolver
Hitman 2
Gran Turismo 4

Xbox

Doom 3
Enter the Matrix
House of the Dead III

$18 after tax. What do you think? I was all excited but my friend ruined my high when he guessed the price and said $5.[/QUOTE]

Lol, hate that >< Nice pick up though, been wanting to play red dead revolver.

[quote name='gpgorbosjr']Today I picked up:

PS2

Red Dead Revolver
Hitman 2
Gran Turismo 4

Xbox

Doom 3
Enter the Matrix
House of the Dead III

$18 after tax. What do you think? I was all excited but my friend ruined my high when he guessed the price and said $5.[/QUOTE]

If you paid for Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, you got ripped off. Ditch that and your haul will be worth more.

[quote name='ZombieToast']If you paid for Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, you got ripped off. Ditch that and your haul will be worth more.[/QUOTE]

All the games were $1.91 or $2.92. I think that one was $2.92....I bought it with selling it to a Fallout lover friend of mine for about $5......I personally don't like Fallout.

Picked up 3 TI-83 plus graphing calculators- 2 for $8 apiece and 1 for $5. Ive always had good luck flipping these when I find them!

bread's done
Back