2013 Thrift Store Thread

I was about to start kicking myself. Then by some stroke of luck, he put everything back into the box and walked away. Without hesitation, I swept in and snatched it up. Here's what it had in it, for $30 (actually $24 after 20% discount):
The same thing happened with my gamecube find last weekend, a guy was looking at it and then wandered off to look on his phone. I grabbed it when he walked off. Then he sort of followed me around the store which was creepy as hell, guess he was hoping I'd set it down.

Goodwill rules of shopping, you want something, you hold onto it. If I want to look something up, I will hold onto said item and look it up.
It's not even safe in your cart. One time I was picking out books for my kids and some lady started rifling through my cart, lmao.

As long as that wasn't the Robinson goodwill, I'm cool with that... But why did the guy put it back...
Nah, it was the North Huntingdon Goodwill. I don't like the one in Robinson; they always seem to overprice. Aside from that one lucky bastard that got the dirt cheap iPad the weekend they opened.

Anyways, some of the other stuff I picked up (prices before the 20% discount):

Pokemon the First Movie DVD - $1

Ted Blu/DVD (No UV code) - $2

Gilmore Girls Seasons 1-7 (the fiance wanted this one- $10 for all

1996 Hasbro Star Wars Storm Trooper black blaster - $1

Spyro :ps1: complete - $1

6" Koopa Troopa plush - $.50

Talking Sid the Science Kid plush - $.50 (I'm torn on this because my kids love the show, but it's going for $40+ on Amazon right now)

Picked up Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country II, Super Mario All-Stars, Tecmo Bowl, and Robert Clemente Baseball for $14.99. 3/5 looked to be pretty good, and they all test well. 

The Goodwill also had a Model 2 SNES with all the cords for $29.99, but it was too much for me at the moment. I wish Blue Tag was 50% off, would've bought it at that price. 

The Goodwill store here in Silverdale, WA is pretty good. It's in a nice part of town (across the street is a Best Buy) and the store is pretty large. Has decent prices. I see flippers like me always browsing the electronics section with hawk eyes. I haven't really scored much, but recently, I found a Xbox 360 power brick for .99c and a power brick for a MacBook Pro for $1.99 and flipped em both on ebay.

But they also have some dumb prices. $99.99 for a boxed nes where the box was in shambles. 

However I did see a pair of Dr. Dre headphones w/ the box for 69.99. Damn I wish I had the $$ at the time to snag it!

Thx to this thread because I never even thought of Thrift hunting until I read some of the finds in here!

nice haul sp00ge! everytime i walk in a GW i hope to find just one worthwhile genesis CIB game.

note taken- robinson gw is not my turf, and never should be lol. just stay out of the east end/ north hills!!

nice haul sp00ge! everytime i walk in a GW i hope to find just one worthwhile genesis CIB game.

note taken- robinson gw is not my turf, and never should be lol. just stay out of the east end/ north hills!!
Is that tiny GW in Wexford still there? I used to drop in whenever I was up that way and usually came away with a small find or two.

^
well, they kind of moved next door and expanded it, but yea its still there. one of those GW thats charging more for a game because its any game. i stop by there frequently though because its right by my office.

my (new) favorite is the one in cranberry. its waaaaayy out there, but they always have some cheap games that arent sports titles. only go there if i have time between clients and i might be in the top part of the county.

todays finds - N64 game shark $2.70 after discount
persona 2 disc soundtrack-$1

my (new) favorite is the one in cranberry. its waaaaayy out there, but they always have some cheap games that arent sports titles. only go there if i have time between clients and i might be in the top part of the county.
I've gone there a few times, as it's a bit further than I'd usually like to go, but almost never find anything. I've been having horrible luck recently though.

Found this for $2 at Goodwill still factory sealed.

UlnzxZ0l.jpg

There were also a couple of Police Quest games, But i skipped on them because A) They were open and B) I don't have a working Floppy Drive in the house.

Last edited by a moderator:
....I :censored: up didn't i?
I don't know... I think they're worth something, not sure how much...

I just love the art on old boxed PC games especially the art on the Police Quest games and would love to find them for a few bucks each... hell, I love finding any old boxed PC games for a few bucks each. I'm always envious when people find them.

^
well, they kind of moved next door and expanded it, but yea its still there. one of those GW thats charging more for a game because its any game. i stop by there frequently though because its right by my office.

todays finds - N64 game shark $2.70 after discount
persona 2 disc soundtrack-$1
If that's Persona "Be Your True Mind" you've got one of the best VG soundtracks out there.

Went today...nothing to speak of. Saw a stand-a-lone PS2 phat for 5 bux. Passed because it was clogged with yellow dirt/dust.

FF7 greatest hits label for the low price of 14.99. Case cracked on front.

Also saw FF9 good condition case but disk 1+2 were pretty bad looking. 14.99 again.

And a  boxed Sega Genesis 16bit for $49.99. passed as well.

Been kind of a lull with GW recently, only picked up the following from a donated PS2 stash for $3 each, all complete in great shape:

:ps2: Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel

:ps2: R&C: UYA

:ps2: R: Deadlocked

Now I know that Brotherhood was recently flamed in this thread, but I bought it on the pretense to flip it to pay for the other games.  The Ratchet games I bought just to fill out the PS2 quartet (not counting the PSP ports), of which I never played Deadlocked.  If I had a PS3 I'd be getting the HD ports, but this will suffice for nostalgia's sake.

First GW- saw a stack of PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, and Saturn games.......all mehh except for Ecco and Timestalkers. Girl couldnt find TS which was disappointing! No systems to be found sadly.

Picked up Ecco and 2 DC controllers for $9.62. Can test my DC now.

GW2- saw a 32X game (starwars) and some mehhh PS2 games. Once again no systems to be found.

I couldve had a nice Sega/Playstation day! Wonder if I missed out or if there never was anything.....

So I saw a Rockband Xbox 360 Wireless Hofner Bass controller yesterday at GW for only $8, but since I don't have a 360 to test it with, I'm curious about a couple things:

Do these ones have a dongle (like the PS3), or is it just the controller?

Are the strum bars supposed to be very squishy, with no click or stiff feedback to let you know its strumming properly?

I told myself I'd stop buying these guitars for flipping, but the hiatus on deals is making me rethink that.  Thanks in advance to anyone that answers.

So I saw a Rockband Xbox 360 Wireless Hofner Bass controller yesterday at GW for only $8, but since I don't have a 360 to test it with, I'm curious about a couple things:

Do these ones have a dongle (like the PS3), or is it just the controller?

Are the strum bars supposed to be very squishy, with no click or stiff feedback to let you know its strumming properly?

I told myself I'd stop buying these guitars for flipping, but the hiatus on deals is making me rethink that. Thanks in advance to anyone that answers.
360 guitars connect wirelessly directly to the 360, no dongles.

I know it's true for the regular Rockband guitars, but they are typically squishy unlike the clicking like the GH ones. I'd assume the Beatles are the same way.

I found a RB Hoffner a few months back, but it look like someone went on a smashing spree with it, so I passed. Then a found an actual Rogue Hoffner replica at a pawn shop two weeks ago that I wanted to buy, but the guy wanted double the price of one of them new. :/

I think there might be 360 wired guitars too, I saw some guitars for about $2 each but I couldn't figure out which system they were for the trouble is they had 4 batteries each in them and I don't think they make the white explorer guitar in a wireless version for the 360 so they were either wired with batteries and missing the wires or they were PS3 missing the dongle. Maybe some guitars have wires that can be removed from the guitar itself.

Thanks sp00ge, it was in good cosmetic shape, so if it's still around later today, I'll go ahead and grab it.
No prob.

I think there might be 360 wired guitars too, I saw some guitars for about $2 each but I couldn't figure out which system they were for the trouble is they had 4 batteries each in them and I don't think they make the white explorer guitar in a wireless version for the 360 so they were either wired with batteries and missing the wires or they were PS3 missing the dongle. Maybe some guitars have wires that can be removed from the guitar itself.
Yeah, the Explorers only came wired for the 360. The first wireless one for the 360 is the black Gibson that came with GH3 and GH: Aerosmith.

Sounds like you just found the cheapo PS2 wirless guitars.

Yeah I didn't get those 2, but I got the sunburst guitar for $2 however it has a crack in the back of the neck which makes it worthless for selling but it works fine for playing.

I recently sold 4 wireless guitars for 360 on eBay (2 les Paul, 1 Aerosmith and 1 sunburst) and had 2 people ask for a refund because they didn't work. I tested them right before I listed and they worked fine, so I don't know what happened but it really irritated me, so I think my guitar buying/selling days are over lol.

Anyway, small pickup today. I've been making a ton of various pickups lately but just too lazy to list and/or take pics. Got these:

- Super Mario All-Stars and Tetris/Dr. Mario for snes
- Banjo Kazooie VHS tape - it's some promo tape that talks about the game and gives tips. I never saw it before and thought it could be a cool collectors item. Plus it was only $1
- Max Payne 3 for X360

Paid $10 for everything. I usually don't buy modern games from thrifts, but got the Max Payne for my brother.

I recently sold 4 wireless guitars for 360 on eBay (2 les Paul, 1 Aerosmith and 1 sunburst) and had 2 people ask for a refund because they didn't work. I tested them right before I listed and they worked fine, so I don't know what happened but it really irritated me, so I think my guitar buying/selling days are over lol.
I haven't had any complaints yet for mine (knock on wood), but I test the hell out of mine. I'll put a good 30-45 minutes of straight play into each one, on Expert, to make sure there aren't any problems even under the most extreme conditions. Even before testing them, I remove the necks from the ones that come off and shine the hell out of the connectors.

Spooge - maybe I should've tried them a little longer. I only plugged them in, played about 30 seconds of a song on expert to make sure all the buttons worked and figured they were ok. Who knows. One person returned one, so I'll eventually try it out again. Haven't opened it yet, still too disgusted over it lol. The other person wanted me to send them a pre-paid shipping label to return, but I've yet to do so and don't know if I will. Probably not, it's done and over with now so screw it.

Tiki - lol I thought that too, but the strange thing was both people had almost the same complaint, that the red button wasn't working properly. That it would only register sometimes. But one did say they had trouble syncing it.

Spooge - maybe I should've tried them a little longer. I only plugged them in, played about 30 seconds of a song on expert to make sure all the buttons worked and figured they were ok. Who knows. One person returned one, so I'll eventually try it out again. Haven't opened it yet, still too disgusted over it lol. The other person wanted me to send them a pre-paid shipping label to return, but I've yet to do so and don't know if I will. Probably not, it's done and over with now so screw it.

Tiki - lol I thought that too, but the strange thing was both people had almost the same complaint, that the red button wasn't working properly. That it would only register sometimes. But one did say they had trouble syncing it.
Where they the black Gibsons? Those pin connectors (before they revised them with the slide style connectors) can become finicky and troublesome after time and will result in the frets not registering properly.

Thanks to this i started selling the 360 guitars.  I think i sold about 15-20 or so this past month.  Someone one must of heard about selling these or something because I cant find 360 controllers easily anymore.(gh ones)   I might go a week before i find one. I go to  3-5 thrift stores daily to let you know how hard to they are to come by up here now. Same thing with fat ps2 i have not found one in 2 weeks.  i was able to find at least 2 a week, that is down to zero...

Fat PS2s sell well then? I always avoid them because of the disc read error issues.

I have sold 3 guitars this week, but it seems to be slowing down for me. I really don't seem to find them around anymore either.

Anyone have any luck selling 360 drum sets? Is it even worth it?

Fat PS2s sell well then? I always avoid them because of the disc read error issues.

I have sold 3 guitars this week, but it seems to be slowing down for me. I really don't seem to find them around anymore either.

Anyone have any luck selling 360 drum sets? Is it even worth it?
The last drumset I sold took me bout a month and a half to sell. Had to keep lowering it till 60 with free ship. Only paid 5 for it so I'm not complaining.

My local Salvation Army had a Grand Re-Opening yesterday and everything in store except Red Tags and New Mattresses were 50% off. 

Sadly, the store opened at 8am and I came by at 9:45ish. Meaning I potentially missed out on a lot of neat stuff. (Darn you Family for taking their sweet time getting ready)

But with slim pickings, I managed to pick up Mr Bones Complete for Sega Saturn for $2.50, KOTOR II CIB for Xbox for $2.50, a Skylanders Giants Figure for $2, Transformers the Movie: 25th Anniversary Album for $1. My bro picked up Justice League Origin Vol. 1 for $7.50 (Red Tag).

Where they the black Gibsons? Those pin connectors (before they revised them with the slide style connectors) can become finicky and troublesome after time and will result in the frets not registering properly.
Yup, they were both those ones. That's probably what happened then. Thanks for the info. If I clean them really good, do you think that'll work, or are they pretty much shot?

After a few months of nothing great. I found this lot at Savers around 5pm on a Saturday.  I couldnt take them off the rack fast enough.  I asked one of the workers if they had the system in the back or any other games.  He said they have the system CIB, but it doesnt work and they want $120 for it.  He also said they put the games out in the morning and they had twice as many.  He said Mega Man, Turtles all the Super Mario ETC.  The boxes are in excellent shape and the games/booklets are excellent as well.  Also got Death and Return of Superman for Sega Gen and Manhunt for $3.99 also. 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After a few months of nothing great. I found this lot at Savers around 5pm on a Saturday. I couldnt take them off the rack fast enough. I asked one of the workers if they had the system in the back or any other games. He said they have the system CIB, but it doesnt work and they want $120 for it. He also said they put the games out in the morning and they had twice as many. He said Mega Man, Turtles all the Super Mario ETC. The boxes are in excellent shape and the games/booklets are excellent as well. Also got Death and Return of Superman for Sega Gen and Manhunt for $3.99 also.

Holy Nachos look at those boxed NES Games nice find!

Had a so-so GW weekend, picked the following:

The Hofner Bass guitar I discussed last week (only $7, thought it was $8), the PSone was at a sweet spot pick up for $3 (I've seen these before, but usually priced at $10-15 at my GWs), and the Game Gear was $7.50, more than I wanted to spend.  I may end up returning this (as it needs a little work), but its the first GG I've seen in my various trips.  Fun fact:  Both the PSone and Game Gear can be powered up from a Genesis Model 2 AC/DC power converter, since these came loose without any accessories.

Also the AC power adapter pictured is the NES-002 OEM power supply for the NES, picked it up for a buck.  Even those go for $12-15 each on eBay, so it will be a mild flip.  I never noticed it, but apparently these are AC to AC adapter type instead of AC to DC, never paid attention to that before.

9296172210_6e1e893cb4.jpg

Picked up an NES with power cable and rf adapter as well as mario 3 and lemmings for $10 at GW.  Nes needs a new 72 pin adapter(expected that) but mario 3 and lemmings dont work(didn't expect that).  When I put the games in my working NES they don't go in snug, they just kinda fall in...anyone have any experience with that?  they look normal.

My local Salvation Army had a Grand Re-Opening yesterday and everything in store except Red Tags and New Mattresses were 50% off.

Sadly, the store opened at 8am and I came by at 9:45ish. Meaning I potentially missed out on a lot of neat stuff. (Darn you Family for taking their sweet time getting ready)

But with slim pickings, I managed to pick up Mr Bones Complete for Sega Saturn for $2.50, KOTOR II CIB for Xbox for $2.50, a Skylanders Giants Figure for $2, Transformers the Movie: 25th Anniversary Album for $1. My bro picked up Justice League Origin Vol. 1 for $7.50 (Red Tag).
Nice pick up on the Transformers album! The guy who did the music for it is an awesome person and a totally underappreciated composer.

Hopefully I have better luck tomorrow. Was gonna hit up 2 GWs yesterday, im driving along and hear a pop. Pull into a gas station, tires seem fine.....look around some more. A huge strip of tread had flown off my tire! Sat there for 15mins, still had air, went no faster than 20mph back to home. Last time I leave my spare in the garage! 

Since im here, heres a picture of the NES I got a few weeks ago and painted. 

After a few months of nothing great. I found this lot at Savers around 5pm on a Saturday. I couldnt take them off the rack fast enough. I asked one of the workers if they had the system in the back or any other games. He said they have the system CIB, but it doesnt work and they want $120 for it. He also said they put the games out in the morning and they had twice as many. He said Mega Man, Turtles all the Super Mario ETC. The boxes are in excellent shape and the games/booklets are excellent as well. Also got Death and Return of Superman for Sega Gen and Manhunt for $3.99 also.
As an avid NES Collector, your find is so beautiful that it almost brings a tear to my eye. It also saddens me to know that I would NEVER find these at my local Savers for any sort of reasonable price. I swear to god I once saw Savers keep a copy of Mario / Duck Hunt behind the jewelry counter for a $14.99 tag on it :bomb:

Not exactly video games, but had to share this one. I found a Core I-5 vPro Lenovo X220 Tablet laptop for 50 bucks at my local goodwill. probably my best ever thrift store find.

July 18

Went to the local GW here in Silverdale, WA and found a 1TB External hard drive! No power cord of course, but I can find easily on eBay.

$7.99! If it works I'd go nuts.

They had a phat PS3 in the glass counter for $20. The lady said it was broken for parts. Left it because I don't have the time to see what's wrong with it. Also saw a slim ps2 for $15 system only.

BTW, I've been seeing lots of phat PS2's lately for $4.99. I wonder if they are worth flipping on eBay. Because if I look hard enough I can get a power cord, av cord, and a controller for like $6 and have a complete ps2 system for $11-12. Any profit here?

BTW, I've been seeing lots of phat PS2's lately for $4.99. I wonder if they are worth flipping on eBay. Because if I look hard enough I can get a power cord, av cord, and a controller for like $6 and have a complete ps2 system for $11-12. Any profit here?
Yes, stand alone systems with no hook-ups are going for around $30-50 bucks plus shipping, and some of those aren't even working. I didn't realize that myself until someone took note of it earlier in this thread.

bread's done
Back