2014 Dumpster Dive Thread

Could someone do me a favor?

I'm all set on the gaming front but if anyone finds a half eaten sandwich or a used rubber or two could you send them my way?

Thanks
Ya, no problem mines still got your moms pussy juices on it. Free shipping if you give me your address? lol

Last edited by a moderator:
That painting was found at a flea market, not in a dumpster. If you guys like salmonella, e coli, and listeria go ahead and keep on doing it, a dumpster is just a breeding ground for these things. To have the OP state that it's legal is pretty damn stupid, but.... If you want to take a 17 year old word for it go ahead, especially when it's a big huge grey area.

I could also tell you that it's legal to masturbate in public as long as your local and state laws don't say otherwise or don't have it posted. I don't know why you guys get so butt hurt when someone says it's disgusting to jump in the garbage can.
because this thread is for dumpster divers not for people to come in and complain that dumpster divers are gross. Think things threw before you post them, duh! lol

because this thread is for dumpster divers not for people to come in and complain that dumpster divers are gross. Think things threw before you post them, duh! lol
Someones going to get shot.. or at least arrested. If I was a business owner I would make sure anyone I encountered got served a CT (Criminal Trespass form) therefore banning them from the premises. In an era where we are seeing all kinds of identity theft the last thing I would want is someone rummaging through the trash.

A responsible business owner wouldn't even put personal information into a dumpster in the first place. You and others seem to like to go the extremes. What about if someone needs boxes? There are plenty of places that separate that stuff. Have you seen the markup on buying new boxes for moving? 

For people saying that its a breeding ground for bacteria, show they don't know the difference between a general dumpster (say an apartment complex) from a retail store dumpster.  I am pretty sure the majority of them are also looking in before they "dive", to see if there is any point. Yes there is always a chance to get dirty and sick, but thats with anything. I can paint an extreme scenario and point out if any fast food worker sneezes/coughs/farts, there germs are in the air and contaminate everything.  

I don't do this myself, but I have seen people pull out gems. Good for them. Just don't come here and start with all your disapproval. I'm sure each of those who did have or are doing something illegal themselves, because we all live within the "grey area".

Someones going to get shot.. or at least arrested. If I was a business owner I would make sure anyone I encountered got served a CT (Criminal Trespass form) therefore banning them from the premises. In an era where we are seeing all kinds of identity theft the last thing I would want is someone rummaging through the trash.
If your getting your identity stolen through your garbage, then you need to purchase a shredder, not my fault people keep their important things viewable to the world. lol

First Dumpster Dive Was Today! :) lol

Nothing to good but found a broken iphone and a bk happy meal toy for Jake off of Adventure Time on Cartoon Network! :) lol

A responsible business owner wouldn't even put personal information into a dumpster in the first place. You and others seem to like to go the extremes. What about if someone needs boxes? There are plenty of places that separate that stuff. Have you seen the markup on buying new boxes for moving?
Exactly. I work for a document destruction company and businesses face huge fines for just throwing away anything with even the slightest bit of personal info on it.

Exactly. I work for a document destruction company and businesses face huge fines for just throwing away anything with even the slightest bit of personal info on it.
I work for BestBuy and we have a company come here and park their truck outside the store and they shred everything on site.

With that at my store if we have to throw something out such as speakers we are told to smash them...we once had to break a really costly system because the company that made the system told us to.

This is the shopping discussion board, it's for having a discussion.
stupidity makes me laugh!!! hahaha :) Why discuss that its gross, move on with your life. lol If you really have time to jump into a thread to post that that is gross and illegal, then you honestly have nothing better to do with your life. lol

[quote name="GBAstar" post="11456286" timestamp="1390120156"]Could someone do me a favor?

I'm all set on the gaming front but if anyone finds a half eaten sandwich or a used rubber or two could you send them my way?

Thanks[/quote]
Sure, anything for a fellow CAG!

What's your address, and will you cover the shipping fees?

That painting was found at a flea market, not in a dumpster. If you guys like salmonella, e coli, and listeria go ahead and keep on doing it, a dumpster is just a breeding ground for these things. To have the OP state that it's legal is pretty damn stupid, but.... If you want to take a 17 year old word for it go ahead, especially when it's a big huge grey area.

I could also tell you that it's legal to masturbate in public as long as your local and state laws don't say otherwise or don't have it posted. I don't know why you guys get so butt hurt when someone says it's disgusting to jump in the garbage can.
Im assuming most game stores have their own dumpster, which only they use. Nobody is going to get salmonella, e. coli and listeria from a dumpster filled with game cases and guide books.

Im assuming most game stores have their own dumpster, which only they use. Nobody is going to get salmonella, e. coli and listeria from a dumpster filled with game cases and guide books.
They often don't have their own dumpster, especially if they are in a shopping mall or plaza. Also, the dumpster itself is frequently changed out by Waste Management or whoever operates it, it's not always the same dumpster, so today's Gamestop dumpster may very well have been yesterdays Sun Moon Kitchen dumpster.

They often don't have their own dumpster, especially if they are in a shopping mall or plaza. Also, the dumpster itself is frequently changed out by Waste Management or whoever operates it, it's not always the same dumpster, so today's Gamestop dumpster may very well have been yesterdays Sun Moon Kitchen dumpster.
Good point. Aren't the dumpsters cleaned out and disinfected when changed to different locations, though? I don't live in the US so im not sure what is the standard procedure.

But yeah, if that's the case, then yeah, I would recommend people to stay away from them.

I really highly doubt they get cleaned, I have no proof of one or vs the other, the only thing I can go by is that they all smell like piss.

The business I work at has dumpsters and I've never seen them get changed out. They get lifted up, dumped and then set back down. I'm not sure why they would be getting changed around unless they were damaged.

all you critics of dumpster diving... this isnt affecting your lives in any way... if someone wants to do it knowing in his area that there IS a risk, let him face the consequences... this holier than thou attitude and subsequent arguing back and forth is the reasons these threads like this get closed

Generally dumpster diving is frowned upon because of return fraud. When I worked at RadioShack, we had to break everything (defective or not) that needed to be junked out. The reason? People in the area would dumpster dive and then try to return the item without a receipt or say it's defective and want to exchange it for a brand new one.

DealSeeker4U is more in line with people who look through items that couldn't be sold or shipped back to the manufacturer. Someone might as well use it instead of it going to waste. However, from time to time you'll have the really grimy fucks that will pick food out of the trash and then bring it to the drive-through window saying they got the wrong order. There's nothing legal or even beneficial about that.

all you critics of dumpster diving... this isnt affecting your lives in any way... if someone wants to do it knowing in his area that there IS a risk, let him face the consequences... this holier than thou attitude and subsequent arguing back and forth is the reasons these threads like this get closed
No, the fact that the dumpster divers are unwilling to debate and discuss the morals and ethics of what they are doing without getting hyper defensive and resorting to name calling and personal insults, is why threads like this get closed. That and the fact that's it's not legal and shouldn't be discussed to begin with, but I digress.

Anything thrown in a dumpster was obviously unwanted by the previous owner, so it should be up for grabs if an individual wants to save said item from going to a landfill. I don't understand the problems people have with saving something for themselves from going to a landfill.

I am the dumpster police and I have come to this thread to lay down the law. If my years of training from Oscar the Grouch have taught me anything, it's that there are a lot of nice things being thrown out all the time, and as long as you are obeying your local laws then there is nothing wrong with taking it. And also, if someone is crapping on your thread the ignore feature works really great.

I've personally never done the dumpster diving due to living in a small town with no game stores to look through, but I have been to other towns with game stores, and it never hurts to ask them if they have anything they're throwing out soon. As long as you ask pleasantly enough, you're almost certainly going to get something. I have an old box just filled with different promotional items.

No, the fact that the dumpster divers are unwilling to debate and discuss the morals and ethics of what they are doing without getting hyper defensive and resorting to name calling and personal insults, is why threads like this get closed. That and the fact that's it's not legal and shouldn't be discussed to begin with, but I digress.
It is legal depending on where you are as stated in the OP.

no, you have the attitude that if everyone doesnt agree with you, they are wrong... I can see both sides of the argument, though without calling anyone names or try to shame anyone about what they might or might not do. I read through this thread and only saw one instance of someone calling you anything derogatory. Most are of the opinion of if you dont like the subject matter you dont have to come one here, you've said your piece...

the thread was approved by Cheapy, and you were the first person to post on it... negativity...

I myself never did it regularly, but from time to time on the way to work would check out one on the way to work behind a GS, most of the times I would be done within a minute if there loked to be just trash or empty cases etc... the few times there was more was pretty cool... boxes of guides mainly, easy to retrieve without jumping in a dumpster... I dont do it anymore, but will not shame someone if they do...

Id equate to maybe not agreeing with the way people may take care of themselves physically, but I am not going to shame them into changing their lifestyles because I keep myself in shape. They are their own person, and if they want to live their life a way, regardless of the consequences, so be it. I will not lose any sleep over it... same applies to dumpster divers, if you are doing this in an area where it is illegal, good luck not getting caught...

But I have been to other towns with game stores, and it never hurts to ask them if they have anything they're throwing out soon. As long as you ask pleasantly enough, you're almost certainly going to get something. I have an old box just filled with different promotional items.
Do this if you're don't wanna be around a dumpster. I've asked before, and they didn't have any problem giving anything away because it was going to be thrown out regardless if it was new or old, usually on Sundays. The people who worked at that particular gamestore may change though, and throw it out anyways/won't give you anything.

But honestly, people's problem with it is more based on their own phobia/assumptions. Most assume everyone here is literally "diving" in the dumpster, when in actuality a quick glance over is all that is needed. A friend of mine found a sealed box of those BF4 Promo Tags or whatever they were? I guess based on those troubled opinions here, he should have just left in there because the box touched the dumpster, so everything inside a sealed box must be contaminated. Glad he took it.

no, you have the attitude that if everyone doesnt agree with you, they are wrong... I can see both sides of the argument, though without calling anyone names or try to shame anyone about what they might or might not do. I read through this thread and only saw one instance of someone calling you anything derogatory. Most are of the opinion of if you dont like the subject matter you dont have to come one here, you've said your piece...

the thread was approved by Cheapy, and you were the first person to post on it... negativity...

I myself never did it regularly, but from time to time on the way to work would check out one on the way to work behind a GS, most of the times I would be done within a minute if there loked to be just trash or empty cases etc... the few times there was more was pretty cool... boxes of guides mainly, easy to retrieve without jumping in a dumpster... I dont do it anymore, but will not shame someone if they do...

Id equate to maybe not agreeing with the way people may take care of themselves physically, but I am not going to shame them into changing their lifestyles because I keep myself in shape. They are their own person, and if they want to live their life a way, regardless of the consequences, so be it. I will not lose any sleep over it... same applies to dumpster divers, if you are doing this in an area where it is illegal, good luck not getting caught...
just a bit of advice- don't argue with the troll. he just wants to argue with people because he feels the need to express his "superiority" and ride his "moral high-horse". if a half twit who needs to brush up on reading comprehension skills extremely well educated gentleman who is absolutely rational about his arguing over an approved topic where said argument could be debated in a more relevant thread :bs: feels the need to "discuss the morals and ethics" of a topic, then they should visit the "shopping morals and etiquette" thread and post there, as this is not the place for it. Going back and forth with a person of this nature will not change their mind, in fact it will get them what they want which is this thread to close (for whatever moralistic reason that would be possessing them).

Heres an idea- you don't like this topic and still feel the need to impulsively post in it? just type +1 and stop shiiting in the thread. It would be nice to click on it and actually read something that someone found rather than some needless argumentive post.

just a bit of advice- don't argue with the troll. he just wants to argue with people because he feels the need to express his "superiority" and ride his "moral high-horse". if a half twit who needs to brush up on reading comprehension skills feels the need to "discuss the morals and ethics" of a topic, then they should visit the "shopping morals and etiquette" thread and post there, as this is not the place for it. Going back and forth with a person of this nature will not change their mind, in fact it will get them what they want which is this thread to close (for whatever moralistic reason that would be possessing them).

Heres an idea- you don't like this topic and still feel the need to impulsively post in it? just type +1 and stop shiiting in the thread. It would be nice to click on it and actually read something that someone found rather than some needless argumentive post.
lol, half twit who needs to brush up on ready comprehension skills? Remember what I said about ad hominem attacks and name calling? THIS is why these threads are locked, because of all the name calling and arguments that certain people can't help but initiate.

lol, half twit who needs to brush up on ready comprehension skills? Remember what I said about ad hominem attacks and name calling? THIS is why these threads are locked, because of all the name calling and arguments that certain people can't help but initiate.
You're absolutely right, I completely agree.

I think the title of the thread should be changed to reflect this is a discussion about dumpster finds and how to do so, in a way that would block out certain members from chiming in with their own agendas...

I think the title of the thread should be changed to reflect this is a discussion about dumpster finds and how to do so, in a way that would block out certain members from chiming in with their own agendas...
I tried to do that on the previous thread from last year, we still had problems, the best thing to do is post and share what you find, and ignore any negative comments, because some people may not have the same views on dumpster diving as others

I tried to do that on the previous thread from last year, we still had problems, the best thing to do is post and share what you find, and ignore any negative comments, because some people may not have the same views on dumpster diving as others
Pretty much. People should just not feed the trolls. All he does in come in here to argue over dumb shit he knows nothing about. Either just put him on ignore like so many of us have done already or don't respond.

When I owned a comic store, I was more pissed about people putting things in my dumpster than taking them out.  Dumpsters are expensive and it sucks to go out to empty the trash and find the thing full of someone else's garbage that they dumped in the middle of the night, so there's no more room for your trash.

When I use to work at a game store, I would usually put all the games and game cases in the black bins and pour water on them. The dumpster divers would get so mad. Lol good luck to all the dumpster divers on the this thread.

So basically this guy who dumpster dives at Half Priced Books said in one of his videos that he would leave CD's in there because he didn't need them/ had no use for them. I told him I'd pay shipping cost once he got a box full of them to ship them to me, and I couldn't believe how many good cd's were thrown out! Here is the link to the video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWHSUNDJ-Zg

S&M is great.  There's plenty of good cd's in that haul...  I never thought of dumpster diving, and I wouldn't mind it for the game guides at the least...

Has anyone checked Barnes and Noble?  We don't have any half priced books here in El Paso, nor much of any book stores for that matter... But there's a strip mall that just opened up with GameStop, BestBuy, Dick's Sporting Goods, and Barnes and Noble all lined up.  I may have to go over there and give it a try.

I definitely agree with what others have posted: perhaps some tips for newbies! (or more tips/tips in op)

Has anyone checked Barnes and Noble?
I'm too lazy to dive, but I was under the impression that most book stores will ship the books back to the publisher/distributor if they don't sell. I believe they get credit for unsold books.

The biggest exception are magazines, where it's just the cover that is sent back.

I may be wrong though.

So basically this guy who dumpster dives at Half Priced Books said in one of his videos that he would leave CD's in there because he didn't need them/ had no use for them. I told him I'd pay shipping cost once he got a box full of them to ship them to me, and I couldn't believe how many good cd's were thrown out! Here is the link to the video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWHSUNDJ-Zg
Hearing you mispronounce almost every band/artists name in that video made it well worth watching.

You may want to add to the org post -

Most dumpsters are private property.  Same goes for the enclosures surrounding them.  The owners of the dumpsters hold the same reasonable expectation of privacy as you would in your home.  All items within these dumpsters is considered private property.  So by "dumpster diving" and taking items without the owners consent can be constituted as theft as well as trespassing. 

****  EDIT  ****  Seems as if it has been already covered through out the thread.

S&M is great. There's plenty of good cd's in that haul... I never thought of dumpster diving, and I wouldn't mind it for the game guides at the least...

Has anyone checked Barnes and Noble? We don't have any half priced books here in El Paso, nor much of any book stores for that matter... But there's a strip mall that just opened up with GameStop, BestBuy, Dick's Sporting Goods, and Barnes and Noble all lined up. I may have to go over there and give it a try.

I definitely agree with what others have posted: perhaps some tips for newbies! (or more tips/tips in op)
I checked Barnes & Nobles one time in 2004 (I don't actively dumpster dive, my friends took me along cause they were participating in a Something Awful Dumpster Dive thread), and IIRC they tear all the covers off the books they trash. Also there's a guy at my local flea market who seems to get all the magazines/comics from them (with covers intact). I don't know how he pulls it off, but he gets thousands of magazines and then sells them a $1 a piece. Maybe a crooked employee is giving him the hookup for a cut? Maybe B&N doesn't actually rip the covers off magazines? I don't know. Probably worth a shot if you've got a B&N nearby.

You may want to add to the org post -

Most dumpsters are private property. Same goes for the enclosures surrounding them. The owners of the dumpsters hold the same reasonable expectation of privacy as you would in your home. All items within these dumpsters is considered private property. So by "dumpster diving" and taking items without the owners consent can be constituted as theft as well as trespassing.

**** EDIT **** Seems as if it has been already covered through out the thread.
Sorry to burst your bubble pal but the Supreme Court ruled in '88 that the trash inside your trash can or dumpsters is in fact public domain.

Also, stopped by a dumpster yesterday and found a Sports Champions and Battlefield Bad Company 2. Both discs were in really good condition.

Sorry to burst your bubble pal but the Supreme Court ruled in '88 that the trash inside your trash can or dumpsters is in fact public domain.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. California vs Greenwood ruled that you have no reasonable expectation of privacy when it comes to discarded materials, however there is a strict legal definition of what is considered to be discarded materials. Generally the trash has to be on the curb, or already removed from the home or place of business before it is considered discarded. How many dumpsters do you know of that are located on the curb?

Wrong, wrong, wrong. California vs Greenwood ruled that you have no reasonable expectation of privacy when it comes to discarded materials, however there is a strict legal definition of what is considered to be discarded materials. Generally the trash has to be on the curb, or already removed from the home or place of business before it is considered discarded. How many dumpsters do you know of that are located on the curb?
Not going to get into a debate here so last post. However, before going any further, I would encourage you to read these links. http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/California_v._Greenwood

http://www.phschool.com/atschool/ss_web_codes/supreme_court_cases/greenwood.html

If one didn't want their garbage looked through, one shouldn't leave their garbage where it's available to the animals, children, or other members of the public. Same would apply to any company. If that company didn't want their waste to be rummaged through they should place their dumpster behind a fence or lock their dumpster. Not doing so invites anyone who wants to go through the dumpster to do so. However, removing a lock or opening a fence to get the garbage inside would probably get you arrested. I couldn't find anywhere where the Supreme Court referred to the waste as discarded materials but rather garbage.

The trash has already been removed from the business seeing as how it was placed in the dumpster.

people, this is not up for debate- its a state/local issue, not a federal one. its not illegal everywhere either.

this fact is referenced in the OP. so please, keep the debate to a minimum. it just leads to bickering.

nice haul on the games btw dood. Battlefield for free = good deal

people, this is not up for debate- its a state/local issue, not a federal one. its not illegal everywhere either.

this fact is referenced in the OP. so please, keep the debate to a minimum. it just leads to bickering.

nice haul on the games btw dood. Battlefield for free = good deal
Who are you to tell anyone what they can or can not debate? This is the shopping discussion board, if you don't want a discussion, you are in the wrong place.

Not going to get into a debate here so last post. However, before going any further, I would encourage you to read these links. http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/California_v._Greenwood

http://www.phschool.com/atschool/ss_web_codes/supreme_court_cases/greenwood.html

If one didn't want their garbage looked through, one shouldn't leave their garbage where it's available to the animals, children, or other members of the public. Same would apply to any company. If that company didn't want their waste to be rummaged through they should place their dumpster behind a fence or lock their dumpster. Not doing so invites anyone who wants to go through the dumpster to do so. However, removing a lock or opening a fence to get the garbage inside would probably get you arrested. I couldn't find anywhere where the Supreme Court referred to the waste as discarded materials but rather garbage.

The trash has already been removed from the business seeing as how it was placed in the dumpster.
Unless it's on the curb, garbage is not available to children or members of the public, without those people also trespassing. The trash has not been removed from the business, seeing as the "business" isn't just the inside of the business, but the property on which it is located as well.

Who are you to tell anyone what they can or can not debate? This is the shopping discussion board, if you don't want a discussion, you are in the wrong place.

Unless it's on the curb, garbage is not available to children or members of the public, without those people also trespassing. The trash has not been removed from the business, seeing as the "business" isn't just the inside of the business, but the property on which it is located as well.
i am telling anyone who wants to make this a black and white issue that it is NOT one, because it is a state issue. get over yourself and find a new horse to beat to death. sheesh

i am telling anyone who wants to make this a black and white issue that it is NOT one, because it is a state issue. get over yourself and find a new horse to beat to death. sheesh
That is what I read as well in regards to this... spmahn is just a troll who gets worked up over something that doesnt affect him... if someone actually does risk actual trouble in an area where this is wrong, then so be it... it isn't going to affect his life either way... I occasionally see people digging through my work's dumpster looking for scrap metal, now if I was spmahn, I would have had the cops out front of the building beating him and putting cuffs on him... myself, I let him be...

bread's done
Back