2014 Dumpster Dive Thread

That is what I read as well in regards to this... spmahn is just a troll who gets worked up over something that doesnt affect him... if someone actually does risk actual trouble in an area where this is wrong, then so be it... it isn't going to affect his life either way... I occasionally see people digging through my work's dumpster looking for scrap metal, now if I was spmahn, I would have had the cops out front of the building beating him and putting cuffs on him... myself, I let him be...

my point exactly. why even care? If my neighbor wants to take a bedframe from my trash pile, so be it. The trash collectors here purposely sit aside scrap metal and come back later to pick it up in their own trucks. If someone wants to go dig in a dumpster, and there is not a sign, then that is their legal defense to the cops (if they would even need it). I am pretty damn sure that the Pittsburgh City Police have much better things to do than interrogate someone digging in a dumpster. They would do the same thing that I have been told about skateboarding on "private property" for the past 24 years- "you can't do that here, so get out". The reasons, when asked in a civil and polite manner, are always the same- potential property damage and liability issues if I got hurt and wanted to sue (dumbest thing I ever heard. why would I sue if I put myself at risk?). Mind you, this has happened thousands of times in places where a sign was posted "no skateboarding" or "no trespassing" in various cities, towns and states.

point being (and everyone diving should consider this is you are found by the police)- being civil, polite and respectful goes a long way with police officers, especially if you are not committing a felony or violent crime. even if they say you are wrong and there isn't a sign, just apologize be respectful and you will most likely get off without any trouble. I have got out of many traffic tickets using the same method (not to mention the "trespassing" while skateboarding situations).

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone thinking of asking employees at Gamestops if they can have the stuff for free here's my advice to you:

Pay attention to the gamestop itself.  If they have a camera system most will be reluctant to give you the stuff even if it's just going to be tossed out, particularly if they stick to the policies or have a manager above them that does.  No one wants to risk their job to give someone some stuff.

Otherwise most wouldn't care.  I see so much stuff get thrown out that is in perfect condition.  If I had intention of staying in this state for longer than 2 years at max I'd go out to dumpsters too.  Perfect places for craft items too. 

Keep the cool finds up! Just ignore the people who want to talk about the legality of it because it's been BEATEN TO DEATH ALREADY. 

There's a half price books near me, perhaps I should swing by their dumpster sometime.

Sorry to burst your bubble pal but the Supreme Court ruled in '88 that the trash inside your trash can or dumpsters is in fact public domain.

Also, stopped by a dumpster yesterday and found a Sports Champions and Battlefield Bad Company 2. Both discs were in really good condition.
Sorry to burst your bubble pal, but items within a privately owned dumpster or any other storage device is still private property. It doesn't matter what the intent of the property is. It is still a storage container. Unless the owner states that the items within the container are unwanted you can be charged with trespassing and theft. You can not deem an item unwanted at your own will just as I can't go onto your property and take what I want because I feel that it is unwanted. PUBLIC trash cans and/or dumpsters are public domain though.

If you fall and/or hurt yourself while in a private trash container, who's responsible? The owner is. If you unlawfully went into his property, he could have you charged with trespassing so that he would be clear of any wrong doing.

It is great that you have a general understanding on how laws work, but please read the laws thoroughly before you try and use them as evidence in your favor.

I went dumpster diving in a couple of the Gamestop's dumpsters around me. I found disc 1 of the ORIGINAL Syphon Filter. I put it in my PS3 and it works fine. I also found a couple of posters for Madden '13 for PS Vita, a bunch of PS2 cases and games, as well as DS cases and games. It's truly amazing what they'll throw away.

We also found a Wii stand.

Stopped by the dumpster after I left work this morning. Only found a couple things. The trash truck comes on different days now so it's hard to determine when it will be full. However, I did find a FF Lightning Returns/Thief Standee unassembled in it's original box. I can't figure out how to upload photos anymore so I'll just link a similar standee.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Lightning-Returns-and-Thief-Standee-/111260188029?nma=true&si=mEf72phMjNvrJKlgLaQwGD9M9vw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Hearing you mispronounce almost every band/artists name in that video made it well worth watching.
Same here. On that note to be fair a number of those CDs that were in that video are ones that I call "trendy releases." In other words they sell huge for 1-2 specific songs that within a year or two people will dump out of their collections at places like HPB because they no longer desire to keep that CD in their collection. The only CD that shocked me being in that box to be honest was The Police one since to be honest the early CD pressings are bit harder to find now since audiophiles are clinging onto those big time.

Stopped by the dumpster after I left work this morning. Only found a couple things. The trash truck comes on different days now so it's hard to determine when it will be full. However, I did find a FF Lightning Returns/Thief Standee unassembled in it's original box. I can't figure out how to upload photos anymore so I'll just link a similar standee.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Lightning-Returns-and-Thief-Standee-/111260188029?nma=true&si=mEf72phMjNvrJKlgLaQwGD9M9vw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
I've been looking for that standee for awhile, a lot of people have found that one!

S&M is great. There's plenty of good cd's in that haul... I never thought of dumpster diving, and I wouldn't mind it for the game guides at the least...

Has anyone checked Barnes and Noble? We don't have any half priced books here in El Paso, nor much of any book stores for that matter... But there's a strip mall that just opened up with GameStop, BestBuy, Dick's Sporting Goods, and Barnes and Noble all lined up. I may have to go over there and give it a try.

I definitely agree with what others have posted: perhaps some tips for newbies! (or more tips/tips in op)
Just made a bunch of tips in the OP for you!

Why is is that you have posted that dumpster diving is totally legal but yet in your tips you have posted to go at night so employees don't see you? Kind of an oxymoron don't you think? Also, your just setting yourself up for is spmahn to call every Gamestop in the greater Detroit area and notifying them of your actions.

Have you ever thought about using the blog section of the site? This thread has always seamed like a mediation towards your YouTube channel than anything else. Nobody ever contributes and people just go back and fourth about the issue.

Why is is that you have posted that dumpster diving is totally legal but yet in your tips you have posted to go at night so employees don't see you? Kind of an oxymoron don't you think? Also, your just setting yourself up for is spmahn to call every Gamestop in the greater Detroit area and notifying them of your actions.

Have you ever thought about using the blog section of the site? This thread has always seamed like a mediation towards your YouTube channel than anything else. Nobody ever contributes and people just go back and fourth about the issue.
Going at night is better because if employees see you, the odds of them continuing to throw out anything good/ not destroying their field destroy will greatly decrease. As for the thread, it it here for people to post their finds, is their a lot going on no, but it is here when people do find something good, and honestly if people want to discuss their beliefs on dumpster diving, they can do so. As for spmahn calling every Detroit area, he can go for it, because I haven't found anything interesting in like 4 months

Went to walmart to get my meds filled, went to the side where the drive thru is. While waiting I looked over and could see the dumpsters behind the shopping center. I could see in the first dumpster and peeking over was a big cutout box of destiny. As far as I could tell it was in good shape. If I didn't have family with me I would went over for a closer look.

i got a haul of over 60 working games... mostly madden but hey who cares lol there were some ps2 games to

im gonna donate some to each of the local thrift shops

I found a bunch of guides last week, unfortunately most of them were cut but there were four untouched sealed GTA V Special Edition guides. And two days ago I found a PS4 box with with the codes for PS+, Music Unlimited, and $10 PSN all unused. Not bad for my first time going in months. Hopefully they don't catch on to people diving with that IGN article.

was just going to post that! good looking out

I have an assumption that there will be a crackdown on usable items going in the trash now. thanks ign for blowing up the spot!
I just noticed that the OP of this topic is the guy they interviewed on IGN lol. So if they do catch on and crack down harder we know who to blame :whistle2: :-({|= :grouphug:

i got a haul of over 60 working games... mostly madden but hey who cares lol there were some ps2 games to

Please, for the love of god, the Thrift Stores are already overrun with junk, please keep your copies of Madden away from Savers and Goodwill and back in the trash.

you should check with local afterschool programs/boys and girls club type organizations and see if they would like the donation of some of the games. that way, you are putting them to some good use!

lol yea after that IGN article I also think there will be a HUGE crackdown from GS on this. i mean...Ign didnt only point out that its possible to do this and find some stuff, but they made it look like you could make a HEFTY profit and find stacks of things every time...

lol yea after that IGN article I also think there will be a HUGE crackdown from GS on this. i mean...Ign didnt only point out that its possible to do this and find some stuff, but they made it look like you could make a HEFTY profit and find stacks of things every time...
And in the idiot OP's bid to earn even the tiniest bit of internet fame, he even contributed to the article. He'll regret it when he can no longer find anything at any Gamestop.

The only gamestop here in town closed Friday. I went around back to see if they had anything but the dumpsters was cleaned out. Now if I want to do this it's going be a 40 mile drive one way to the next gamestop.

And in the idiot OP's bid to earn even the tiniest bit of internet fame, he even contributed to the article. He'll regret it when he can no longer find anything at any Gamestop.
The reason I did it is because I have bandits by all my local Gamestops, so it doesn't matter to me at this point. I'll continue to look every now and then, but I got a fair share of my good finds from the Gamestop dumpster. My main goal was to some how get Gamestop to donate all the usable stuff they throw out, rather then putting it in a landfill. I feel like the IGN article will (most likely) have Gamestop make sure they throw out everything, or B (unlikely) they donate a lot. Either way, dumpster diving has been fun for me, and as a HOBBY, thats all that matters!

The reason I did it is because I have bandits by all my local Gamestops, so it doesn't matter to me at this point. I'll continue to look every now and then, but I got a fair share of my good finds from the Gamestop dumpster. My main goal was to some how get Gamestop to donate all the usable stuff they throw out, rather then putting it in a landfill. I feel like the IGN article will (most likely) have Gamestop make sure they throw out everything, or B (unlikely) they donate a lot. Either way, dumpster diving has been fun for me, and as a HOBBY, thats all that matters!
It may not matter to you but it does to other people, including myself. You did a fantastic job of throwing everybody else under the bus.

It may not matter to you but it does to other people, including myself. You did a fantastic job of throwing everybody else under the bus.
The article was going to be published regardless, it just wouldn't have had my comments or video in it, there was nothing to do to stop it. Hopefully you still get some good finds though!

That's not how it works, they have agreements with their suppliers that they will get credit for unsold merchandise contingent upon them destroying said items and throwing them out. Also, the majority of the items being discarded, empty cases, broken accessories, disc only copies of Madden, etc. don't have any value to anyone, free or not free. Childrens Hospitals and most charities as a rule only accept new items, and any other organization that might be interested in donations wouldn't be interested in disc only copies of Madden. Goodwill doesn't accept disc only games, so trying to unload them at Goodwill, Savers, or Salvation Army will only result in the donation being refused, or the items being discarded anyways.

The reason I did it is because I have bandits by all my local Gamestops, so it doesn't matter to me at this point.
Someone please explain to me why Robin Hood and his merry men would be hanging out by a number of Gamestop stores? Those would be the only "bandits" I can think of. :whistle2:k

Just came into this thread for some stories. How in the world is this troll Spmahn not banned yet?
tumblr_inline_mp1zixZpKP1qz4rgp.jpg

I went to a few about an hour after close last night. Got a couple xbox 360 boxes. One being the halo reach one. A ps3 super slim box. A ps3 40gb Spider-Man 3 box. A ton of ds cases and random 360/ps3 cases. Also one store was throwing out about about 200 various sports games and such with the games still in the cases for ps3/360. Maddens, mlb the shows, sports champion guitar hero 3, kinect adventures and more. None of them were destroyed probably cause there was so many. I only took a couple dozen because I don't want to enter hoarder level. But honestly.... I probably already have.

Ahhhg, been wanting to go to some GS dumpsters for a long time. I did it once and found a PS2 that works, just doesn't read discs (lol) I also found some empty PS2 cases that I passed on.

I have held off because I don't want any legal trouble since I am not familiar with laws on it in my area

Ahhhg, been wanting to go to some GS dumpsters for a long time. I did it once and found a PS2 that works, just doesn't read discs (lol) I also found some empty PS2 cases that I passed on.

I have held off because I don't want any legal trouble since I am not familiar with laws on it in my area
just curious, I wonder what BB throws out (not going to go looking, but since you are a BB employee maybe you had some stories)

You can either look up the municipal codes for your city or you can just call the police department and ask them. They'll let you know if it is illegal or not.

just curious, I wonder what BB throws out (not going to go looking, but since you are a BB employee maybe you had some stories)
Most things are wrote off and sent back to the manufacturer. Sometimes guides have been known to have their cover ripped and thrown away. I dont think much actual "product" gets thrown away, being maybe because we have a huge recycling program.

Anything that did get thrown away you would probably be risking your life to get since we dont use dumpers but use a compactor.

Most things are wrote off and sent back to the manufacturer. Sometimes guides have been known to have their cover ripped and thrown away. I dont think much actual "product" gets thrown away, being maybe because we have a huge recycling program.

Anything that did get thrown away you would probably be risking your life to get since we dont use dumpers but use a compactor.
lol I forgot about the massive recycle op you all do. good point, figured I would throw it out there (but I guess you would have added anything about it if it was worth mentioning).

Don't go into the compactor- add that to the OP

Getting Your Dumpster On - Episode #2 (Free Games & 3DS Store Display)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWB1cz2Kaqc

What's strange is that my gamestop does not have a dumpster. It shares a dumpster with a plaza that has a nice cream shop in it. Also I asked the GS manager if she has people go through there trash but she said they wouldn't get anything. All the promo stuff get claimed by employees or other customers who just ask. I've got a couple awesome things from her as well like my giant project x zone poster and link between worlds 3DS standee.

from GS (I actually got these right before they were taking them to the dumpster):

COD World at War 360 (scratched but I THINK I can restore it

Rockband Kick Pedal 

2 Rockband ps3 drum / guitar receivers

Psp charger 

The person at the counter also let me have all the extras from the Shin Megami Tensei 4 1st run LE. Apparently someone just traded it in and they were gonna throw the extras away.

About a year ago I saw a Wii kiosk with the console still attached just thrown next to a GS dumpster. It was sticking out so I went to go take a look. Behind the dumpster was a long-box filled with PS2 games.  Also, if any one is wants posters or some of those promo boxes, just ask one of the managers, they'll just be glad to get it out of the store. Guess not everything sucks about GS...

About a year ago I saw a Wii kiosk with the console still attached just thrown next to a GS dumpster. It was sticking out so I went to go take a look. Behind the dumpster was a long-box filled with PS2 games. Also, if any one is wants posters or some of those promo boxes, just ask one of the managers, they'll just be glad to get it out of the store. Guess not everything sucks about GS...
Yeah, I got a Wii Fit board last week without having to go to the dumpster. The employee asked me if I wanted one and I said sure, and I got a free boxed Wii Fit board. Some idiot painted it black, and left it there when he was trading everything in, it works fine though, so that was a sweet pickup!

I found Arcania the Complete Tale (ps3) in my GS dumpster...Looking on GS.com it seems they dont even stock this game...why not??? was this something that was pennied??

bread's done
Back