2014 Dumpster Dive Thread

Showing off my dumpster finds, and read some Gamestop Poetry that I found  too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXgnV9x9CCA

Showing off my dumpster finds, and read some Gamestop Poetry that I found too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXgnV9x9CCA
You are correct that

1. The Hamster cover art is the best cover art ever

2. The second disc for Batman is the DLC disc. Pass it around to all you friends!

That poetry is just amazing.

Nice finds!!!

New video of my weekly dumpster diving finds. This week I find a Mario Kart 8 promo item and moar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ_RHymfzjU

found a 360 controller at mine without the battery pack. The bottom is a little cracked so batteries dont make the best contact. Luckily I had a spare battery pack and some super glue, and presto, works great.

This may not be in spirit of the thread but I saved these games from a local BestBuy from being thrown away.

A lady walked in with all these and wanted to recycle them. I got in touch with the manager in the store and instead of more or less throwing them away I was allowed to take them. They were already in the recycle bin the store had in the back so it's possible I missed some but I got all the ones I could find.

The list is

Gameboy Color *some of the batteries are dead and games cant be saved*

Pokemon Gold x2

Pokemon Blue

Pokemon Red

Star Wars Obi-Wan's Adventures

Nintendo 64(I don't have a N64 to see if these work)

Mischief Makers

Knockout Kings 2000

Aerofighters Assault

Superman 64

Mario Party 2

Donkey King 64

Super Mario 64

WCW/NWO Revenge

Glover

Pokemon Stadium 2

Wrestlemania 2000

WCW VS NWO World Tour

Ready 2 Rumble Boxing

Wave Race

Pokemon Stadium

Starfox 64

MegaMan 64

Nintendo 64 Jumperpak

All the N64 games could be broken but they all seem to be in great condition

All games are only the games with no boxes or manuals

Last edited by a moderator:
This may not be in spirit of the thread but I saved these games from a local BestBuy from being thrown away.

A lady walked in with all these and wanted to recycle them. I got in touch with the manager in the store and instead of more or less throwing them away I was allowed to take them. They were already in the recycle bin the store had in the back so it's possible I missed some but I got all the ones I could find.

The list is

Pokemon Gold x2

Pokemon Blue

Pokemon Red

Mischief Makers

Knockout Kings 2000

Aerofighters Assault

Superman 64

Mario Party 2

Donkey King 64

Super Mario 64

WCW/NWO Revenge

Glover

Pokemon Stadium 2

Wrestlemania 2000

WCW VS NWO World Tour

Ready 2 Rumble Boxing

Wave Race

Pokemon Stadium

Starfox 64

MegaMan 64

Nintendo 64 Jumperpak

That's an awesome catch. Saves some of this stuff from getting essentially thrown away. I had a similar, though not anywhere as good, find at gamestop a while back. Someone tried to trade in a bunch of GB/GBA/Game Gear games to Gamestop and I saw them sitting on the back counter, the employees let me have them instead of chucking them. Got a free Pokemon Blue and Pokemon Sapphire (? I think?) and some neat Game Gear games.

If you aren't interested in the 64 games I'd take some of them off your hands, or alternatively if you want to play them I've got a spare system. Let me know.

I found this in a gamestop dumpster a while back. Had to find a new way to affix the shelves, and it's missing two of the magnetic Starcraft 2 signs (which, if you have one, let me know! I need the one on the front and the one that matches the one you can see in the pic to go on the other side.) but it's an awesome heavy duty metal shelving unit.

Cb9C901.jpg

The list is

Pokemon Gold x2

Pokemon Blue

Pokemon Red

Mischief Makers

Knockout Kings 2000

Aerofighters Assault

Superman 64

Mario Party 2

Donkey King 64

Super Mario 64

WCW/NWO Revenge

Glover

Pokemon Stadium 2

Wrestlemania 2000

WCW VS NWO World Tour

Ready 2 Rumble Boxing

Wave Race

Pokemon Stadium

Starfox 64

MegaMan 64

Nintendo 64 Jumperpak

Saw a copy of this at Pittsburgh Comic Con over the weekend...for 35 bucks! Nice find!

The list is

Pokemon Gold x2

Pokemon Blue

Pokemon Red

Mischief Makers

Knockout Kings 2000

Aerofighters Assault

Superman 64

Mario Party 2

Donkey King 64

Super Mario 64

WCW/NWO Revenge

Glover

Pokemon Stadium 2

Wrestlemania 2000

WCW VS NWO World Tour

Ready 2 Rumble Boxing

Wave Race

Pokemon Stadium

Starfox 64

MegaMan 64

Nintendo 64 Jumperpak

EPIC!

I usually check my GS after I get out of work at 7am, found a few posters here and there. The last two weeks I found some sweet stuff.

20140819_072229_zpse42b8068.jpg
20140817_153632_zps7e003356.jpg
20140817_200229_zps8656fc02.jpg
20140817_193857_zpsed339434.jpg

Another week of finds. @DealSeeker4U. I sold that Xbox 1 Day One box on Ebay for $55.

I also got another giant GTAV Display Box.

20140903_093351_zpsff537852.jpg

20140903_093435_zpse77b3750.jpg

20140903_093911_zpsb6d18085.jpg

20140903_094556_zps8537f23d.jpg

20140903_094611_zps90fba2a6.jpg

20140903_094152_zps9993e641.jpg

I need to find someplace new to do this. I havent in years or thought about till I ran into this thread.

Last time I did was when hero clix were still made by wiz kids and they had a distribution center near me I went to every Thursday evening. I found like a dozen cthulu clix in there I sold for 85 each on ebay and kept one and assorted boosters I kept cause the box was a little mashed and sold the dupes of rares I got and some other assorted stuff.

You guys gave me the drive to stop by my local Gamestop dumpster myself. I'm out at midnight 4 days a week, and the gamestop is on the way home, so I guess I will be making more stops in the future.

Snagged a few items:

-Call of Duty Ghosts Strategy Guide

-Fable 3 for 360 complete with game

-Kinect Adventures for 360 complete with game

-NBA 2k12 for PS3 generic case with game

-Lego Starwars for Xbox complete with game

-Twilight Scene-it for Wii complete with game.

First dumpster dive of my life, not to shabby... I actually haven't played Fable 3, so that alone made it worth it.... going to hit it up tomorrow and see if there's anything new. Thanks for the motivation guys!

I found 2 more Day One boxes, its like finding $100 bill in the trash.

I also found a ton more posters/game boxes, finally got an Sunset Overdrive poster.

10 Lego Batman 3 posters in the roll, other 5 is Ninjago. I am still looking for anything LBP3.

20140910_112655_zps9fa1f7a3.jpg

I found more GS finds, finally a LBP box. A nice Drive club display. Almost Plat status via Nintendo points thanks to GS throwing out DS cases and DS boxes.

Got the other stuff next to GS.

20141012_084911_zps4f424a04.jpg

20141007_120009_zps01e145ad.jpg

20141011_090123_zpsb8e35844.jpg

I found 2 more Day One boxes, its like finding $100 bill in the trash.

I also found a ton more posters/game boxes, finally got an Sunset Overdrive poster.
Exaggeration FTW.

Maybe you found that stuff... maybe you didn't. But Xbox One "Day One" boxes are selling for like $30-$40 on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xbox-One-Day-One-Edition-Box-only-and-Day-one-achievement-No-Console-/181491176021?pt=Video_Games&hash=item2a41b79255

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xbox-One-Day-One-Edition-and-Regular-Edition-BOXES-ONLY-no-consoles-included-/221513845956?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3393410cc4

Finding a $100 bill in the trash is like finding $100 bill in the trash.

Since he says "Got the other stuff next to GS.", I'm assuming he means a pawn shop or something next door. You can see price tags on the stuff.

Its one of those big used videogame/dvd stores. Went back a few days later and the dumpster was locked this time. That's not a Blu ray player but a Wii U and those are Iphone 4.

Its one of those big used videogame/dvd stores. Went back a few days later and the dumpster was locked this time. That's not a Blu ray player but a Wii U and those are Iphone 4.
but they Wiiu PS3 etc (last pic) were not from a dumpster right? you actually bought those right?

I hit my GS dumpster today for the first time in months.

Got an N64 AV cable

Mario Party 4 CIB

Mario Party 5 disc only which was also inside the mario party 4 box

There is a well known used videogame store that's right next to Gamestop, I check both dumpsters when I go there. All those systems were in the their dumpster. All seemed to have something wrong with them though.

There is a well known used videogame store that's right next to Gamestop, I check both dumpsters when I go there. All those systems were in the their dumpster. All seemed to have something wrong with them though.
:shock: :shock: even still...thats crazy...the iphones should be repairable no? used parts at the least on those. Very Very good find.

Stuff found in the dumpster next to Gamestop dumpster. Ton PS1 squaresoft rpg's

20141025_082520_zpsdc76af9e.jpg

Stuff found at Gamestop

New GTA V Display and new box of GTA V cubes.

20141026_091055_zpsb9082dab.jpg

Hard Plastic Mario Kart 8 sign, MK10 Promo posters

20141113_131913_zps05d23208.jpg

World of Warcraft Warlords of Draenor Standee, thrown out Brand New in Box a day before the game releases.

20141112_233145_zps97871e24.jpg

Do you guys ever get stopped by someone when you are going behind a strip mall or anything? I feel like the cops could see it and it would look suspicious. I remember getting stopped when parking with a girl when I was like 17 behind a strip mall. This would be even worse since I'm in my late 20's and would be by myself. I'd think people would think you are trying to break in or something.

I have never been stopped by anyone of authority. I go when their closed at 11pm or at 7am. It is legal to dumpster dive in my state.

WTF man, you are one of the luckiest guys ever to have that go-to store lol. Square RPGs??? do they work or were they tossed cause they were too scratched? I see Final Fantasy VII and Tactics; what other ones were there?

20141025_123024_zpsc327339f.jpg

Most of them were in working condition, lightly scratched . Disc 2 of Xenogears was mint. As well as FFVII 2nd and 3rd dics. All Fear Effect discs were near mint.

I costs money to ship these adverts, it cost money to print these posters. It might not cost GS nothing, but the publishers of the game would not appreciate to see an advert never opened and displayed, just to be tossed out in the trash.

Not sure how throwing out trash is wasteful?
I'm not just talking about the useless shit - look at some of the games being thrown out. I don't see the point of throwing out games like Final Fantasy VII and Xenogears in playable condition when they could be sold. That is wasteful.

Just came into this thread for some stories. How in the world is this troll Spmahn not banned yet?
Can you explain this post, Spmahn?

Ok, let me settle some things. (Not sure if someone else covered this but here goes)

1. Marketing(Adverts)

*Most of the time these are sent to all stores regardless of the size of the store or if they even have anywhere to display it.

*Some of them were probably used, however Gamestop changes marketing 1-4 weeks at a time depending on the time of year.

*Standees are the worst, Gamestop has no floor space yet they want you to cram a standee on the floor. I always threw mine away right away if I had no where to place it.

*If you want the marketing its best to check sunday nights, as they are required to setup the new marketing after close on sunday.

2.Merchandise

*The Policy for anything thrown away must be destroyed. Knowing this I personally wouldnt waste my time checking the dumpsters. However it seems some people have been lucky and found good stuff.

*Any actual item that is marked for field destroy(thrown away), must be verified by the District Manager, destroyed by said DM, and then discarded into the dumpster. (So you must have a shitty DM looking over your Gamestop if you find something of value)

*Occasionally items get pennyed out($0.01), when this happens the Store Manager is required to remove the item immediatly, destroy and thrown away. A common item here is Strategy Guides, the SM is supposed to rip off the cover.

Gamestop has deals with their vendors, which is why this happens. Basically a customer returns a controller for whatever reason claiming it is defective. The agreement that Gamestop has is instead of shipping back the controller to the vendor they mark the item as field destroy, and then the District Manager is to verify the item is broken, if it isnt it gets moved back to inventory marked shopworn 10% off or is moved to used. Once the field destroy report is cleared, any items that are "destroyed" and thrown away the vendor then pays Gamestop X amount per item to compensate Gamestop for selling them defective merchandise.

As for the games, Gamestop will also field destroy games on their own accord. This typically happens if a game looses its value and their is a huge surplus. For example Sports Champions for the PS3, this game is worthless now and each Gamestop has probably 50 or more copies. So they will decide to keep X% of them, destroy the rest. and then usually will stop taking it in. Sometimes they will continue to take the game in trade however they will only give you a small amount for it ie.. $0.02, to help compensate for their losses as some of the discs Gamestop paid for originaly could be upwards of $30.00 and the disc just sat in the draw because the game sucked or so many people trade the game in.

Hopefuly this clears up some questions.

Do some Gamestop stores trash the extremely old 360 games that no one wants anymore, whether they have a large amount in stock or not? I noticed that none of my local stores have any of the really cheap old ass sports games like NBA Live 06 in stock whereas further away stores often have a surplus of copies. I couldn't imagine them wasting money and effort shipping them out to other stores.

Last edited:
I'm not just talking about the useless shit - look at some of the games being thrown out. I don't see the point of throwing out games like Final Fantasy VII and Xenogears in playable condition when they could be sold. That is wasteful.

Can you explain this post, Spmahn?
1. There is no way those PS1 games were thrown away by Gamestop. No Gamestop has carried any PS1 items in at least 10 years. They were most likely tossed by someone who thought they could trade them in and found out they can't.

2. I'm not a troll. Why is that word thrown about so liberally these days? The word has a very specific meaning, and just because a person is saying something you may not agree with does not make them a troll. When a person has to resort to argumentum ad hominem in order to continue a debate, then the debate is over.

1. There is no way those PS1 games were thrown away by Gamestop. No Gamestop has carried any PS1 items in at least 10 years. They were most likely tossed by someone who thought they could trade them in and found out they can't.

2. I'm not a troll. Why is that word thrown about so liberally these days? The word has a very specific meaning, and just because a person is saying something you may not agree with does not make them a troll. When a person has to resort to argumentum ad hominem in order to continue a debate, then the debate is over.
1, Ok, but this isn't just a Gametop dumpster diving thread and there's been other good things thrown out by other stores (not just outdated marketing materials or copies of Madden 08 that no one wants).

P.S. I bought PSX games from Gamestop in 2007.

2. I looked up the definition of troll and got this:

"a mythical, cave-dwelling being depicted in folklore as either a giant or a dwarf, typically having a very ugly appearance."

So I was wondering as to why you were called that since that is the specific meaning.

Last edited:

"a mythical, cave-dwelling being depicted in folklore as either a giant or a dwarf, typically having a very ugly appearance."

So I was wondering as to why you were called that since that is the specific meaning.
Yeah, I dunno, I don't get it either.

1, Ok, but this isn't just a Gametop dumpster diving thread and there's been other good things thrown out by other stores (not just outdated marketing materials or copies of Madden 08 that no one wants).

P.S. I bought PSX games from Gamestop in 2007.

Yeah, I dunno, I don't get it either.
Ahem, from Urban Dictionary:

Urban Dictionary said:
troll

One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument
In case you two are not being silly and don't know what term is being thrown around. :D

Two angry camels in a tiny car!

Do some Gamestop stores trash the extremely old 360 games that no one wants anymore, whether they have a large amount in stock or not? I noticed that none of my local stores have any of the really cheap old ass sports games like NBA Live 06 in stock whereas further away stores often have a surplus of copies. I couldn't imagine them wasting money and effort shipping them out to other stores.
Yes, they will trash those games. However it is only when there is a large quantity and it is usually a one time deal for the stores. It is possible for copies to be redistributed as they have an internal system that determines stock balancing.

Ok, let me settle some things. (Not sure if someone else covered this but here goes)

1. Marketing(Adverts)

*Most of the time these are sent to all stores regardless of the size of the store or if they even have anywhere to display it.

*Some of them were probably used, however Gamestop changes marketing 1-4 weeks at a time depending on the time of year.

*Standees are the worst, Gamestop has no floor space yet they want you to cram a standee on the floor. I always threw mine away right away if I had no where to place it.

*If you want the marketing its best to check sunday nights, as they are required to setup the new marketing after close on sunday.

2.Merchandise

*The Policy for anything thrown away must be destroyed. Knowing this I personally wouldnt waste my time checking the dumpsters. However it seems some people have been lucky and found good stuff.

*Any actual item that is marked for field destroy(thrown away), must be verified by the District Manager, destroyed by said DM, and then discarded into the dumpster. (So you must have a shitty DM looking over your Gamestop if you find something of value)

*Occasionally items get pennyed out($0.01), when this happens the Store Manager is required to remove the item immediatly, destroy and thrown away. A common item here is Strategy Guides, the SM is supposed to rip off the cover.

Gamestop has deals with their vendors, which is why this happens. Basically a customer returns a controller for whatever reason claiming it is defective. The agreement that Gamestop has is instead of shipping back the controller to the vendor they mark the item as field destroy, and then the District Manager is to verify the item is broken, if it isnt it gets moved back to inventory marked shopworn 10% off or is moved to used. Once the field destroy report is cleared, any items that are "destroyed" and thrown away the vendor then pays Gamestop X amount per item to compensate Gamestop for selling them defective merchandise.

As for the games, Gamestop will also field destroy games on their own accord. This typically happens if a game looses its value and their is a huge surplus. For example Sports Champions for the PS3, this game is worthless now and each Gamestop has probably 50 or more copies. So they will decide to keep X% of them, destroy the rest. and then usually will stop taking it in. Sometimes they will continue to take the game in trade however they will only give you a small amount for it ie.. $0.02, to help compensate for their losses as some of the discs Gamestop paid for originaly could be upwards of $30.00 and the disc just sat in the draw because the game sucked or so many people trade the game in.

Hopefuly this clears up some questions.
Great post, I'm going to use it in the OP!

Last weeks GS finds

Thick plastic Amiibo Sign

4 hard plastic signs MK8 /Murder /Watch Dogs /Sunset

Roll of Witcher 3 posters/MK 8 banner sign

Game Informers

Giant Far Cry 4 poster

20141130_153829_zpsc8260742.jpg

2 sets of (25) GTA V Posters

20141130_153316_zpse31f280b.jpg

bread's done
Back