2014 Thrift Store Thread - Post your finds here!

That's Sonic & Knuckles. The game is standalone, plus if you plug in Sonic 2 or 3, it changes/combines elements of the games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_%26_Knuckles
I remember that Christmas, where I had to choose between S&K and Sonic 3, ended up going with S&K. Sure it's fun for about 30 minutes with Knuckles in Sonic 2 (which I had already), when you can fly over most of the first few stages, but that was about it for me. Didn't realize how much better this was with Sonic 3 until later on.

Oh. That's pretty nifty. I never had a Genesis as a kid, but I just bought a Retron 5. I'll have to keep a look-out at the yard sales and thrift shops for the others.
Lock-On technology, taller meant better in Sega's world.

VdTB9.jpg

I remember that Christmas, where I had to choose between S&K and Sonic 3, ended up going with S&K. Sure it's fun for about 30 minutes with Knuckles in Sonic 2 (which I had already), when you can fly over most of the first few stages, but that was about it for me. Didn't realize how much better this was with Sonic 3 until later on.

Lock-On technology, taller meant better in Sega's world.

VdTB9.jpg
:lol: I didn't scorll the whole way down that pic, and the first thing I thought was "The only thing that would make that even better is the first Sega CD." I scrolled the rest of the way down and laughed pretty hard.

I went to Goodwill today and bought this, but what is it? The top flips up and the Jurassic Park for Sega Genesis cart that I bought along with it fits onto it, but for what purpose?
futurama-fry-not-sure-if-just-getting-older-and-bitter-or-if-this-generation-is-really-as-dumb-as-it-seems.jpg

no offense, but you just killed part of my soul.

in all seriousness, to find one with the flip top on it is a good score. and once you find a copy of sonic 3, you are going to be in good shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
futurama-fry-not-sure-if-just-getting-older-and-bitter-or-if-this-generation-is-really-as-dumb-as-it-seems.jpg

in all seriousness, to find one with the flip top on it is a good score. and once you find a copy of sonic 3, you are going to be in good shape.
Spoiler'd the huge pic,and yes. Not nearly as good as the time I was in the library, with the girl yelling "the only thing I know about Japan, is that's where Hong Kong is." and everyone laughing at her.

EDIT: forgot to post my find!

Game of thrones (Book 1) $0.50 :hot:

I'm 35. My parents wouldn't let me have any video game systems when I was little, they wouldn't let me watch much television either. They wanted me to study and get good grades. My first system was the original Playstation when I was a teenager.

I'm 35. My parents wouldn't let me have any video game systems when I was little, they wouldn't let me watch much television either. They wanted me to study and get good grades. My first system was the original Playstation when I was a teenager.
well I hope that your good grades made up for your childhood being destroyed lol.

I am just busting your chops. I am 32 and now I totally feel like a jerk. It is really a good find, and a good game. Finding one in that condition is something I wish I could pick up cheap (or any genesis game for that matter). As far as games for your retron 5 go, that is definitely a good start. Some games however do not work in other systems like that (eternal champions is on that had a message saying the game needed to be NTSC format), but maybe they fixed that. Hopefully your luck continues!!!

Bought these Legos for my daughter and I to add to our brick tub. Don't know anything about the value of this stuff. Any of you Lego guys have any idea on value?
No idea about value, but it looks like you've got stuff from 1996 - 2001. I see some Spyrius guys, a bunch of Lego Ninja guys (which I think have good resell value, as the sets were popular), and a few Pirate guys. The Islander fig makes me believe the pirates you have are from the 2001 re-launch of the Pirates line - no idea what that means for value.

Oh. That's pretty nifty. I never had a Genesis as a kid, but I just bought a Retron 5. I'll have to keep a look-out at the yard sales and thrift shops for the others.
Sadly, I've heard the Retron 5 does not play nicely with Sonic 2/3 combined with Sonic & Knuckles.

Pretty decent haul today

Glacier GBA (Original model), GBA Gameshark, GBA backlight dongle thingy, GBA SP power cord:  $6.25

Pokemon Snap (N64):  $1.90

Frog Bog (Intellivision):  $1

Metroid 2 (Game Boy): $2.70

Pretty decent haul today

Glacier GBA (Original model), GBA Gameshark, GBA backlight dongle thingy, GBA SP power cord: $6.25
Nice find on the Gameshark, never knew how valuable those things were until I found one myself a couple of years ago and checked. The fact it was in a good priced bundle to begin with is just gravy.

I bought 2 wireless guitar hero guitars(one had a korn faceplate) at a goodwill a couple days ago, and just noticed that the korn guitar is autographed by 3 members of korn. So that was a nice surprise. 

Nice find on the Gameshark, never knew how valuable those things were until I found one myself a couple of years ago and checked. The fact it was in a good priced bundle to begin with is just gravy.
Yeah, I sold a sealed GBA Code Breaker for $130 a few months ago. I'm sure I could have gotten even more for it, but I priced it for a quick sale.

Found these for $3 each 

PS1

Medal of Honor (sealed)

Labonte Racing

Fighting Force 

Speedball 2100

N64 

Pokemon Snap

All PS1 games were complete except Fighting Force. The connectors on Pokemon Snap looked a bit rusted and that's probably why a reseller before me passed on it but at $3 you can't lose much from that. 

Found a ps1 4 memory card holder (jewel case) sadly did not include the memory card that came with it, but for $1 can't pass.

pics

P6190041_zpsd2e07693.jpg

P6190043_zpse48ace5a.jpg

P6190042_zps1dbb3eb8.jpg

How am I supposed to fit my Tomb Raider memory card in that?

$_35.JPG

Her
gun and head
are too big.
Yea, that is whats too big.

Somedays it is worth the trouble to travel to the other side of town. Picked up

FIFA 13 360 Sealed

GZA (can't remember the name, but it is solid) CD

She Wants Revenge CD

Evil Dead DVD

Prince of Persia Warrior Within PS2

Pacman Rally World (with Power Rangers game inside) GC

Motostorm PS3

For roughly 9 bucks total. FIFA was the most expensive item at 3.95. I almost picked up a copy of Beyond Two Souls, but for 20 bucks (!) I figured I could wait.

There was all types of stuff- FF XIII-2, Assassins Creed Somethingorother, Burnout Paradise, FIFA 10 all for ps3. But they were all more expensive than the sealed FIFA game. They also had a 360, it was missing the disc drive and that it the one part I may need to replace at some point. Oh well, not complaining!

Didn't find much when I went today(mostly old sports games).  Although I did manage to find a copy of Final Fantasy VII buried under a bunch of PC games.  Discs seem in great shape(no scratches or fingerprints), although it is missing the manual.  It was tagged $1.99, but they were having a 50% sale today, so I got it for $1.

Pic

[attachment=5983:20140620_192421.jpg]

They also had a copy of Final Fantasy X for $2.99, but the disc was scratched up, so I passed on it.

The last bin I looked in I found this..........then I made sure to recheck every shelf again! No system in site though. I know this controller didnt just show up by itself!

I went to my local thrift store today. As I was browsing around I was thinking to myself how I needed a A/V cable for the n64 I bought last week so it could be complete. I look on a shelf and right there is an n64 A/V cable wrapped in a mini usb cord. I actually lost my cord a couple of days ago so I couldn't charge my nexus. What are the chances

The last bin I looked in I found this..........then I made sure to recheck every shelf again! No system in site though. I know this controller didnt just show up by itself!

I wouldn't be overly surprised, actually. Over half of the N64s I've run across on the second hand market were being sold with no controllers. Then again, I've never run across a spare official controller for them alone, outside of third party (and overpriced at flea markets). I've heard the analog sticks were easy to break as was the plastic itself, but I never had any issues and I played the hell out of No Mercy and Tony Hawk 2.

I used to find a lot of N64 controlers at SAVERS. I just ran across these as I was reworking my storage:

I would only buy the ones with tight analog sticks.

The stick was the first thing I checked. Its perfect! Then I noticed it was only a little dusty, almost new looking. I usually open up stuff I buy and give them a good cleaning but that controller didnt have any gunk in the creases like most controllers I find. Still makes me gag when I can run a toothpick down the crease of a controller and a strand of dirt and gross falls out  

After a frustrating past few days or so I finally found something I had been looking for.

Legend of Zelda Collectors Edition (Gamecube) - $25

Not an amazing deal but it was CIB and in great shape so I grabbed it.  They also had a grey cart copy of OOT for $15 but I passed.

Went to the local Goodwill today just to see if they added anything.

Saw a stack of old Atari 2600 games(including Pac-Man & E.T.) they wanted $2 a piece for.  Which I can get at another Goodwill store about a mile away for $.25 each.  So really seems it's up to each store on how they price stuff.

But found a complete Xbox version of Black for $2.  Had to grab it for that price and since I have never played it before.

Yardsales were a bust, all of them were basically "naw we dont have that kinda stuff". So I went thrifting too.I guess Ill just stick with the N64 theme, hoping the system and more games show up.

Too lazy to post a pic, but the only things I picked up this week was a cart only Donkey Kong Country for GBA for $2, and this Mattel Classic Basketball game for a buck.  The thing looks old, but its a repro from 2003, and is actually fun for such a simple game.

41422B4PTML._SY300_.jpg

Also surprised I even found the DKC game, it was camouflaged pretty well with a ton of kitschy knick knacks behind the jewelry counter.

Did a little thrifting today didnt find anything. Besides a AV cord for a 360 for $1.99 which I do need since im staying at my dads dinosaur home with no HD. I did buy a multi cord component for 360, wii and ps3 at meijer for $20 to hold me for the while im being here planning on returning it. Hopefully dont have issues with that tomorrow. It was open when I bought it which was weird.

Here's the finds from the last couple months, I don't go out methodically to the thrift stores and pawn shops, but I try to stop at them while I'm in town for other things.

These are all of the controllers I've picked up, they are definitely my favorite thing to find.

Nf8cYRF.jpg

Lkwhpt8.jpg

2x Black Gamecube

1x Purple Gamecube

2x Blue Xbox S

1x Green Xbox S

2x Black Xbox S

1x Black Dualshock 2 (Have passed up like 20 of these in mint condition)

2x Smoke Black Dualshock 2

1x Platinum Dualshock 2

1x Blue Dualshock 1

2x Red Dualshock 1

1x Clear Dualshock 1

And a goofy agetec fishing reel controller

all either 4 or 5$ a piece

Here's the games I found.

Goodwill First

qHwHKq7.jpg

PS1

Ridge Racer Type 4

Need for Speed High Stakes

Wipeout

Jetmoto 2

Namco Museum 3 (not pictured)

Xbox

Call of Cthulhu

PS2

NFS: Most Wanted

WWE: Crush Hour

SnoCross 2

Freekstyle

Simpson's Road Rage (not pictured)

PS3

LittleBigPlanet GOTY Edition

all 3-5$ a piece.

Also got these 2 from a little tiny thrift store

mPReITv.jpg

Blitz the League 2 and Test Drive Unlimited 2

Marked 10$ a piece but they were buy one get one, not bad for 5$ each.

Had a pretty good day today.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 (Xbox):  $3

Game Boy Camera:  $1

First Party GameCube/N64/SNES AV cable: $1

All Complete, $2 each

:ps2: Star Trek Encounters

Wild Speed for Dreamcast 

I found a :360: World at War inside a COD4 case for $2 but the disc was super scuffed. 

bread's done
Back