2014 Thrift Store Thread - Post your finds here!

11lttut.jpg

Picked this up today at my local Goodwill today. Couldn't believe it when I saw it.

Feel I did pretty well today.

The first stop was technically a game store, but with the prices I got what I got at, it might as well have been a thrift.

Tempest 2000 (Jaguar): $12.99

Defender 2000 (Jaguar): $11.99

Beauty and the Beast (Intellivision): $1.99

For anyone who knows what Defender goes for, you know I got a crazy steal.

After that hit a few thrifts with little luck until I stopped into one and found:

Flicky (Genesis, cart only): $00.99

Valkyrie Profile Covenant of the Plume (DS): $4.99

Blinx the Time Sweeper (Xbox): $1.99

After that I hit Savers and found:

Shinobi III Return of the Ninja Master (Genesis, CIB): $3.99

Spider Man X-Men Arcade's Revenge (Genesis, CB, no manual): $3.99

Simon game from 1978, in the box with instructions: $4.99

Considering Simon is from the father of video games, Ralph Baer, I figured it was worth grabbing. Especially since there is an ad for a Microvision on the back and I already have a boxed Microvision in my game room, ha ha.

Goodwill has come up empty for me for the past couple of weeks, got this from the local church thrift for $5. More quantity than quality, but I bought it mainly for MK Wii, going to flip Wii Sports to pay for the lot.  Interesting to have the Netflix disc as well, not sure why though...

med_gallery_350075_7875_87044.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Goodwill has come up empty for me for the past couple of weeks, got this from the local church thrift for $5. More quantity than quality, but I bought it mainly for MK Wii, going to flip Wii Sports to pay for the lot. Interesting to have the Netflix disc as well, not sure why though...
I remember when you had to use the disc for Netflix. That takes me back! Lol. Nice pickup.

Welp thats a first for me @ Goodwill! PS3 80GB CECHK01 with composite cable and power cable- $64 and change. Im running the system restore right now, its been on 35 mins and hasnt YLOD'd and its actually pretty clean looking. There was a user name on it but no games or anything. Will run my disc drive cleaner disk before trying games and movies. Fingers crossed.

Had an above average day today.

Super Mario 64 DS and Mario Kart DS  -  $8 ($4 a piece)

Half Life 2 GOTY edition PC  -  $1

Tomb Raider PS1 -  $2

Gran Turismo Greatest Hits PS1 - $1

Road Rash 64, Mortal Kombat Trilogy (PS1), Mortal Kombat Deception (PS2), Offical N64 AV and Power Brick  -  All for $3!

I picked up a console only SNES for $5 at goodwill today, but when I turn it on it boots up but shows like all red and yellow.  Sound is fine and the game plays but its almost all red and yellow.  When a game boots it's a red screen with white writing instead of black with white writing.  Anyone come across this problem with one of these?  I cant find anything on the internet about it.

I picked up a console only SNES for $5 at goodwill today, but when I turn it on it boots up but shows like all red and yellow. Sound is fine and the game plays but its almost all red and yellow. When a game boots it's a red screen with white writing instead of black with white writing. Anyone come across this problem with one of these? I cant find anything on the internet about it.
It sounds like the display output is hosed. Are you using RF or the A/V out? Test each one and I'd bet you'll find your answer.

Took about an hour of inserting and ejecting discs into that PS3 but I finally got it to read my laser cleaning disc.....I also hit it a few times, not sure if that helped or not. I ran that cleaner disc 5 times and its loaded any disc since. Ive played Uncharted 2, Madden 13, and a few BluRays on it so far. 

Went back to the same GW yesterday and got these for $3 apiece, all complete. 

Found this lot of Atari 2600/7800 games at one of my thrift stores today marked .49 each on the box. Don't normally buy Atari stuff but haven't found a lot the last few weeks so I took them up to the counter and they gave me the entire lot for $6.98. Don't mind the 5200/Jag games on the shelve, just already placed these all on my shelve before I took a picture.

yjXjAvI.jpg

Most GWs around here keep the discs in a binder behind the counter. Went to a few places today. 

GW1- nothing!

Salvation Army- closed on Sundays (probably shouldve checked that online before driving there durrr)

GW2- this one does leave discs in the cases, everything was all messed up! They wanted $25 for a system only NES and $15 for a dirty Atari Flashback. The guy behind me I thought was looking it up on Ebay....he was actually waiting for a NES behind the counter that had all the cables and 2 controllers, $30. Shouldve went to this store first I guess! I ended up getting a complete copy of Resident Evil 3 PC for $1. 

GW3- See a bag with a GameBoy Pocket and 8 games marked "$25 AS-IS". I was thinking "knowing this Goodwill its probably 8 shitty sports games and the GBP wont even work!". I asked to see it, the guy who always marks games stupid high brings over a couple batteries so I can test it, system works/screen has like no scratches/IT HAD THE BATTERY COVER FOR ONCE, then I flip through the games.....Bo Jackson Football/Baseball.....Quarterback Club.....Jordan Vs Bird One On One with peeling label, Play Action Football.... WWF RAW *this point im like "called it"*.....Tetris.....Zelda Link's Awakening *"here we go!"*........Mega Man IV!!!!

One of my better if not best days for thrifting.

Goodwill #1:

They had 3 n64 games in the glass case...I knew instantly I wanted one of them.

Gameshark 64 $3

Conkers Bad Fur Day!!! $3 (so stoked to finally get this...)

Goodwill #2:

2 Off brand PSP batteries $3 x 2

Sealed Dualshock 2 $6

ps2 games

Kingdom Hearts $2

Kingdom Hearts 2 $2

Final Fantasy X $2

Final Fantasy XII $2

Dark Cloud 2 $2

Shadow Hearts $2

Dragon Quest VIII w/ FFXII demo $2

Silent Hill 2 $2

ps1 games

Resident Evil 2 $2

Final Fantasy VII $2

Final Fantasy VIII $4

Parasite Eve 2 $2

Chrono Cross $2

Dino Crisis $2

Silent Hill (no game) free case

I hate that. Happens at Goodwill and the clearance section of HPB to me...If you can't afford to spend a dollar on a game why go into a store...Stealing a $1 game is pretty pathetic...:(
I agree with HPB but honestly I think a lot of the times the reason a case at goodwill doesnt have the disc, is because it was donated without the disc (case only). There definitely are people who steal them, but I think half the time they never had the disc to begin with.

Picked all this up recently while on vacation.  Spawn #1 and the other Spawn comics are all on my want list I carry in my wallet.  Never expected to find these at a Goodwill.  Spawn #4 and Punisher 2099 #2 not pictured.

gallery_354731_8396_1147106.jpg

Picked all this up recently while on vacation. Spawn #1 and the other Spawn comics are all on my want list I carry in my wallet. Never expected to find these at a Goodwill. Spawn #4 and Punisher 2099 #2 not pictured.

gallery_354731_8396_1147106.jpg
Dominion was at goodwill? Someone messed up on that donation. Such a good game

Picked all this up recently while on vacation. Spawn #1 and the other Spawn comics are all on my want list I carry in my wallet. Never expected to find these at a Goodwill. Spawn #4 and Punisher 2099 #2 not pictured.
How much did you pay for Dominion? Been wanting to pick that up some time down the road for my collection.

I've seen Twixt somewhat recently too at one of my locals, but didn't pick it up.

Dominion and Twixt both came from a humane society spay and neuter charity thrift.  Dominion card packs are still sealed.  Was going to leave it with my nephew but he doesn't take good care of his stuff.  I'll keep you in mind Billy if I decide to sell.

20140707_192734.jpg

http://youtu.be/5T73dUzNG9w

Not the greatest week, Had to work Saturday, and had a friends baby christening on Sunday, so no garage sailin for me. This is all

thrifts and some online deals. Check the video for details on the stuff. Comment, sub, like or anything else on the video....

Picked up

Elder Scrolls Oblivion Collectors Edition 360- $4.95

It is practically brand new. The coin is sealed, the map has never been unfolded, has all the inserts and the disc are flawless. Very stoked about the coin itself.

Really? Never had one not charge tax and I've been to them in at least 5 states
Well now you have a (very minor) reason to visit AZ goodwills then.

Actually doing a search in this thread I never really noticed people mentioning tax before, though most people don't mention it. I figured with GW being a non-profit organization (at least the overall company is), I assumed they had some form-fanangling way of tax-exempting their sales.

Of course that doesn't stop my locals from incessantly asking me to round up to the nearest dollar, which I haven't caved yet. I'm pretty sure my wife donates to them much more than I actually buy from them (especially nowadays).

Well now you have a (very minor) reason to visit AZ goodwills then.

Actually doing a search in this thread I never really noticed people mentioning tax before, though most people don't mention it. I figured with GW being a non-profit organization (at least the overall company is), I assumed they had some form-fanangling way of tax-exempting their sales.

Of course that doesn't stop my locals from incessantly asking me to round up to the nearest dollar, which I haven't caved yet. I'm pretty sure my wife donates to them much more than I actually buy from them (especially nowadays).
If you live in AZ, you should be hitting every "bookmans" you can find. Bookmans is my 2nd favorite chain. HPB is 3rd. Favorite doesn't exist anymore, but it was called Shinders.

If you live in AZ, you should be hitting every "bookmans" you can find. Bookmans is my 2nd favorite chain. HPB is 3rd. Favorite doesn't exist anymore, but it was called Shinders.
Yeah I used to stop by the Bookmans in Mesa, but I don't really go out that way very often. The other one is just too far out to consider going there regularly. HPB, GW, and other smaller thrifts I stop by more often because they are only a mile or two out of my way.

I sometimes go to Zia Records, but they inflate the price too often on most things I find interesting.

Yeah I used to stop by the Bookmans in Mesa, but I don't really go out that way very often. The other one is just too far out to consider going there regularly. HPB, GW, and other smaller thrifts I stop by more often because they are only a mile or two out of my way.

I sometimes go to Zia Records, but they inflate the price too often on most things I find interesting.
Yeah I used to hit the Mesa one when I would visit my friend in AZ. I remember picking up CIB space invaders for $2 there. Not like that game is rare or something, but the price seemed reasonable. I know I bought some decent comics there and I was intrigued by their playing card credit system. (For those of you unfamiliar with bookmans, it is like HPB, but better IMO because they have vintage toys too.)

The thrift stores by me all, for lack of a better word, suck. To be fair, I haven't been to Book Off in awhile though, maybe I should go. For sure though, Goodwill and SA suck, last time I was in there they wanted like $30 for an old as dirt, grimy, shovel ware game  :wall:

Got a few things today after weeks of bad trips.

GBA SP AGS-101 - $5

Pokemon Red - $5

Spyro - $1

Spyro Riptos Rage - $1

Green PS1 controller - $1

Sonic the Hedgehog (PS3) - $1

If I remember correctly, that Sonic game is absolutely terrible  :lol:

Pokemon Red was in the glass case, I was expecting an ebay price but was pleasantly surprised by the $5 price tag. So much nostalgia with that cartridge, good stuff.

Went to my local Goodwill today, found some neat card games from Gamewright Inc. that looked geeky and/or possibly rare. Also picked up a Japanese copy of "Bushido Blade" for the Playstation and a Stevie Ray Vaughn DVD. 

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24337]

Got a few things today after weeks of bad trips.

GBA SP AGS-101 - $5

Pokemon Red - $5

Spyro - $1

Spyro Riptos Rage - $1

Green PS1 controller - $1

Sonic the Hedgehog (PS3) - $1

If I remember correctly, that Sonic game is absolutely terrible :lol:

Pokemon Red was in the glass case, I was expecting an ebay price but was pleasantly surprised by the $5 price tag. So much nostalgia with that cartridge, good stuff.
Lucky you with Pokemon Red. I bought it for like $15 a few years ago.

The thrift gods have been kind to me lately as I've mostly been striking out at yard sales (except for today but I'll post that in the Yard Sale thread).

My finds from the past 2 weeks.

7/5

Mario Kart Wii    $3

Goldeneye Wii   $3

Duke Nukem 3D (PC)   $1

Playstation 1 System (Original Model)  $6

Acclaim Double Player wireless NES controller   $0.50

7/12

Pokemon Silver Version (GB)  $5

Pokemon Pinball  (GB)   $1

Spider-Man (GB)   $1

Frogger (GB)   $1

Resident Evil Director's Cut (PS1)  $2

Mario Kart 7   $5

X-WIng Vs Tie Fighter + Balance of Power (PC)  $3

King's Quest V (PC)   $0.50

Rapala Tournament Fishing (Xbox 360) SEALED  $7

Hit up a HPB since the 40% started today. I saw a CIB (big box) copy of starfox 64 for 49.99. Someone bought it while I was there (I was there for about a hour). That is how crazy my area is for games. Even with the coupon we are talking $35. Hardly seems worth it to me. I don't know if it even had all of the paperwork or the rumble pack.

I settled on a complete copy of the bouncer for $4.25 after coupon. Seemed like a better deal to me.

I saw that Starfox too. They also had a boxed Goldeneye when I was there and a bunch of boxed Game Gear games. Star Fox CIB with the rumble pack though goes for like 45 online so if you really want it, $30.00 (plus tax obviously) isn't bad. The selection at that HPB stunk though, glad I saw some solid Genesis titles behind the counter they hadn't put out yet and grabbed Dragon's Fury.

I saw that Starfox too. They also had a boxed Goldeneye when I was there and a bunch of boxed Game Gear games. Star Fox CIB with the rumble pack though goes for like 45 online so if you really want it, $30.00 (plus tax obviously) isn't bad. The selection at that HPB stunk though, glad I saw some solid Genesis titles behind the counter they hadn't put out yet and grabbed Dragon's Fury.
Well I have two nice items on hold for the 50% day ;) Didn't see the genny games though. I also picked up a complete copy of gungrave overload (2nd one, I've bought at that store) for $1.80.

Yeah that stuff was still there when I showed up. Those gamegear games were in dollar stores years ago, so I still have most of them sealed. ;) I picked up some non game stuff that is of value, but I didn't have a lot of time to spend there. I think that manager tends to hold stuff back because he collects games.

bread's done
Back