2014 Thrift Store Thread - Post your finds here!

After striking out at Goodwill and Salvation Army, I thought I'd stop at Ohio Thrift while I waited for my pizza to be ready.  Went to the area they usually keep the games and I saw several N64 titles buried under a bunch of old PC games.  I saw a little gold tinge from the bottom of the stack...  

Best find I've ever had.  Got these for $1.99 apiece.  I left the price tag on one of them as proof.  $9.87 total.  And they're all in beautiful shape and the price stickers came off easily.  These are ALL going in my collection and will not be re-sold.

[attachment=3052:photo (3).JPG]

[attachment=3053:photo (5).JPG]

Last edited by a moderator:
5mbkep.jpg

I rarely ever find anything interesting at the thrift store and don't even find much in the way of meh parting gifts even so it was a rather pleasent surprise finding these games at 2.50 each. Before this I want to say the last time I had a good find at the thrift store was about 3 years ago. Parasite Eve is the only game missing it's manual and all of the disks are in mint to near mint condition.

Do you want the good news or the bad news first?

The good news:
I randomly looked inside a Wii Sonic Colors box and found Mario Kart Wii.

The bad news:
It was pretty scratched.

It's been pretty quiet over here lately, aside from the few decent plush finds (2x NWT Kohls Pout-Pout Fish for .50/ea and both sold in days for $50/ea).

Today I ran through the G'burg GW and found a few more plush and a sealed copy of :ps3: Fit in Six for $3.  I'm shocked that it's going for $35 on Amazon, despite being a 3 year old fitness title.

The other thrift over here has bags of MLP dolls (mid 2000, possibly earlier) that I was going to grab, but ultimately passed on.  I know someone on CAG used to resell them, but I didn't have time to sit and look them up.  Unfortunately, this thrift is All Sales Final, No Returns/Exchanges, and I just couldn't risk blowing 40+ on them.

I have a GW right down the street from me, and every so often I pop in to check out if they have anything.  Yesterday I saw a boxed copy of Pagan: Ultima 8, but it was taped (not original) shut.  It didn't look right, so I left it alone.  I'll see if it's still there tomorrow, but something didn't smell right about it.

So I decided to go out of town to some thrift stores yesterday. Only thing I found was games is overpriced systems and sports games. OMG so many sports games.

I have a GW right down the street from me, and every so often I pop in to check out if they have anything. Yesterday I saw a boxed copy of Pagan: Ultima 8, but it was taped (not original) shut. It didn't look right, so I left it alone. I'll see if it's still there tomorrow, but something didn't smell right about it.
You mean like it was empty or something?

Just ask to check it before buying.

Also, even if it's empty or the game is missing but it has some books, it's likely worth picking up.

Oh man, that's a great haul of JRPGs, Shadow Hearts is something I've been wanting to add to my collection for some time now. I never find anything like that at the Goodwill near me, pretty sure there's someone that's got an inside track there.

I picked up a mini ps1 with hookups and 2 standard controllers for $13 yesterday. Not really the greatest deal but I've been needing to add an OG PS 1 to the collection.

Excellent finds on the PS1 lot, I'd been happy just finding the original Silent Hill at that price.

Today I ran through the G'burg GW and found a few more plush and a sealed copy of :ps3: Fit in Six for $3. I'm shocked that it's going for $35 on Amazon, despite being a 3 year old fitness title.

The other thrift over here has bags of MLP dolls (mid 2000, possibly earlier) that I was going to grab, but ultimately passed on. I know someone on CAG used to resell them, but I didn't have time to sit and look them up. Unfortunately, this thrift is All Sales Final, No Returns/Exchanges, and I just couldn't risk blowing 40+ on them.
Yeah, fitness games always sell well right around January / February (for obvious reasons), I remember selling games like :wii: My Fitness Coach and :wii: Walk it Out for a premium during those months.

And for the MLPs, only the older vintage ones (80's dates) and the newer FIM ones are really worth anything, and this is assuming you can get them for dirt cheap (like around a quarter each), but I stopped seeing that trend from local thrifts.

Strike out again today.

I can't even find a damn CD that is worth picking up right now.
ditto. went to 2 GWs one had cleaned out the shelves with the games/cds/dvds and it looked sad (had to take back the dreamcast I bought there last week because it wouldn't read any disc). second one had some junk PS2 games that I had no interest in.

there is always Wednesday, when I will have time to stop again. May just stop by one tomorrow night that is by a clients house, but not sure I want to make the drive.

thriftstore21714.jpg

So since it's presidents day today, one of my local goodwills had 35% off everything in the store, so picked up a few things

I probably wouldn't have otherwise. Anyway, here's the gaming stuff

3ds Disney Infinity starter pack (originally 37.99, got them to give it to my for 24.99 plus 35% off)

Xbox One wireless controller with play and charge kit (34.99 plus 35% off)

Afterglow motion controller plus for wii, also works with wiiu(19.99 plus 35% off)

Maisto Harley bike is in that little box on top was 1.99 but that color sticker is 50% off this week so it was .99 cents

So was originally just gonna get the xbox one controller(don't have a system yet, but figure with the discount, to good to pass up) and the wii controller for my daughters wiiu. I told the lady to put the 3ds infinity set back, so the manager looks at it, says "oh you don't want this too", and I say not at that price(37.99), she says I can have it for 24.99 plus the 35% off, making it 16 and change, i said sure for that price.

Total for everything in the picture picture(with a 10 dollar rewards coupon I had) was $47.53

I have a GW right down the street from me, and every so often I pop in to check out if they have anything. Yesterday I saw a boxed copy of Pagan: Ultima 8, but it was taped (not original) shut. It didn't look right, so I left it alone. I'll see if it's still there tomorrow, but something didn't smell right about it.
Update: Had to drop off some stuff to donate at this GW, so I checked to see if Pagan was still there. It was. Paid $1. Got it home and sure enough, not only was it complete, it was in pretty great condition. Even had the coin!

http://imageshack.com/a/img577/8545/1qld.jpg

Great haul of DVDs from a thrift store I never have any luck at:

The Office seasons 1-5 $3 apiece

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest two disc collectors edition $3

Lost In Translation $3

Australia on Blu-Ray unopened for $3

Black DC, matching controller, blue controller, blue vmu, power cable, burnt copy of Crazy Taxi 2- $20

Managed to snag a few killer things at the Goodwill by my office:

Eternal Darkness (Complete) - $1.98
Phantasy Star Online Ep. I & II (Complete) - $1.98
Clowns in the Sky MST3K CD - $0.99

lovely stuff. Would be very happy with the MST3K Cd!
Yeah, I've never actually seen it before and picked it up for my brother who loves MST3K. I didn't know it was worth $40+ - I should have figured since a lot of MST3K DVDs are worth an arm and a leg.

Nice finds! I have some Ultima game on the commodore with a coin...It came in a lot that I paid $2 for (commodore 128 and monitor boxed with some games) at a garage sale.

Stopped at goodwill yesterday around five not really expecting to find anything and came out with Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix for $5.38. Stoked because it's complete with the dance pad and everything and I only had the game itself until now. Stopped at the same one today after work and found an Xbox 360 wireless controller for $1.38, which is a crazy price and the first time I've seen any Xbox 360 stuff outside of a few random sports games.

saw a boxed Original Xbox today, for 15.99. decided against it since there is no way I would use it. Still, to find one with the box was kind of neat.

saw a boxed Original Xbox today, for 15.99. decided against it since there is no way I would use it. Still, to find one with the box was kind of neat.
I still have the box to mine with manual. Though its missing the styrofoam inserts. I never really thought of it as collectible though.

Its not that old.

I still have the box to mine with manual. Though its missing the styrofoam inserts. I never really thought of it as collectible though.

Its not that old.
I agree, hence why I really didn't think twice about not buying it. This one didn't have the Styrofoam insertws either

Picked up PS1 Marvel Vs Capcom for 1.99 today complete and :ps2: Xenosaga 1 black label complete for $3.99.

Same place had an OG Xbox and Ps1 in the case at 24.99 a piece lol.

@Masa and @sp00ge and other Pittsburgh area CAGs...

I saw this on reddit.

Take note of the store (North Versailles) and the description (you're gonna have to click through for that gem).

I paid $7.50 for a cart only copy so anyone who gets that isn´t getting a deal just because its cheaper then ebay imo. You´re still paying $30 plus dollars more then me for the box and manual with expansión pak. Its also not surprsing one bit that store employess opened it. Ya know they dont sit on ideo game fórums 24/7 to know that it was a collectors ítem. Nor do most of them care because the money goes to the corporation not a employees pocket.

I remember when I was a kid and getting this Brand new at a department store

What, they opened it? Well, there goes most of the value. *cringe*
I got a $2 cart-only copy a little while ago. Luckily that store doesn't send good stuff to shop goodwill.

I paid $7.50 for a cart only copy so anyone who gets that isn´t getting a deal just because its cheaper then ebay imo. You´re still paying $30 plus dollars more then me for the box and manual with expansión pak. Its also not surprsing one bit that store employess opened it. Ya know they dont sit on ideo game fórums 24/7 to know that it was a collectors ítem. Nor do most of them care because the money goes to the corporation not a employees pocket.

I remember when I was a kid and getting this Brand new at a department store
This particular GW (which is also a bulk outlet) looks up and lists almost anything of value. When they first opened, you could always find awesome things, but in the past year, all they put out on the tables is dirty, broken junk, which is why I stopped going to that one.

The best thing I ever have found was Jurassic Park operation genesis for the PC. (This was last year) Paid $2.50, I sold it for about $60.

Yeah it doesn't make much sense why they would open it up, I mean do they even offer returns on items they sell on shopgoodwill.com?  Why would they even need to check the contents? I know most people don't realize the value of a thin layer of plastic around a game, so I can't be too critical, but it's painful information for collectors.

I've been having a bad streak of luck lately, only found Metal Gear Solid VR missions for $3 and a disc only copy of Spyro Year of the Dragon for $4 in the past couple of weeks.  Well I did pick up another :ps3: Sunburst Fender RB guitar for $3, but without the dongle, which I pledged I'd stop buying these things last year (sign of desperation).

"Description:  Nintendo 64 Donkey Kong 64 Collector's Edition Yellow game cartridge in plastic bag in original box. Box was sealed but opened to inspect game. Includes instructions booklet and expansion pak."

WAT DA fuck WHO DA fuck IS IN CHARGE STEP INTO MY OFFICE 'CAUSE YER fuck EN FIRED

that is the dumbest thing I read all week. :wall:  :shame:  :twoguns:  :twoguns:  :nottalking:  :no:  :censored:  :dunce:  :bomb:  Thanks for that post, mguiddy.

in other news, I stopped by this crappy "Community Thrift" shop in the North Hills before a client today, and found the Lost Odyssey guide. It was $1 and was really surprised because this store never ever ever has anything worth a purchase, and when they do it is jacked up in price (example- Halo 3 guide @4.99). It is in pretty good shape too. Also, Raffi Christmas cd for my girlfriend was a buck too.

after a massive session of school work at a local library, I stopped at a GW on the way home. Found these two gems

Kinect Adventures- $6.99 lol

Scene It! w/ 4 controllers- $3.99, which incidentally did not have the game. so it is worthless.

oh GW you suck so bad sometimes

actually, it is kind of surprising considering that most GWs in the area would just use a simple ebay search to determine so kind of value on an item. I have seen (and posted about it about 3 months ago) when I saw a GI JOE Terrordrome w/ the box that had a printout of the most expensive ebay listing for that item. The manager sets the price, and the manager would want to get the most out of the item. Besides the sheer stupidity of opening a sealed item to "check the contents" is asinine in its own right.

on second thought, it shouldn't surprise me at all. most people do inherently stupid things because they themselves are inherently dumb. I mean, Christ on a crutch the pictures they took are of it still sealed

"Description: Nintendo 64 Donkey Kong 64 Collector's Edition Yellow game cartridge in plastic bag in original box. Box was sealed but opened to inspect game. Includes instructions booklet and expansion pak."

WAT DA fuck WHO DA fuck IS IN CHARGE STEP INTO MY OFFICE 'CAUSE YER fuck EN FIRED

that is the dumbest thing I read all week. :wall: :shame: :twoguns: :twoguns: :nottalking: :no: :censored: :dunce: :bomb: Thanks for that post, mguiddy.

in other news, I stopped by this crappy "Community Thrift" shop in the North Hills before a client today, and found the Lost Odyssey guide. It was $1 and was really surprised because this store never ever ever has anything worth a purchase, and when they do it is jacked up in price (example- Halo 3 guide @4.99). It is in pretty good shape too. Also, Raffi Christmas cd for my girlfriend was a buck too.

after a massive session of school work at a local library, I stopped at a GW on the way home. Found these two gems

Kinect Adventures- $6.99 lol

Scene It! w/ 4 controllers- $3.99, which incidentally did not have the game. so it is worthless.

oh GW you suck so bad sometimes
Which GW? I have all of the Scene-it games, but no controllers and have been looking for a set.

So a fun (and informative) find yesterday, I picked this up for $1.50 off pure nostalgia's sake, as I had this same 1982 edition when I was a kid, played all the time with my siblings.  Turns out they can actually be somewhat valuable, but even more shocking was that the new cheap Hasbro version (ones that I used to see routinely at 99 Cents stores) have shot up in price to around $30-$50 each.

According to Camelcamelcamel, this increase happened around Sept of last year (click 3rd party new), it can't just be nostalgia for that kind of bump in price.

med_gallery_350075_7875_157013.jpg

I went to SAVERS for the first time in a long time and the store looked even more junky. Now they have a hipster working there, so the SNES I saw was priced at 69.99.

bread's done
Back