2014 Thrift Store Thread - Post your finds here!

I used to make battlefields for one of my roommates in college that was into warhammer. I made a pretty cool destroyed city using cardboard and spraypaint, gravel, etc. He told me I could probably make them and sell them...I should have taken a picture. "cool story slow". My older brother still has his pewter D&D figures. sorry rambling.

Just picked up some genesis game called Elemental Master with case and somewhat beat up manual for $5 at GW.

Seems to be somewhat rare so I figured why not.

Got this for $27. 22in 1680x1050 vga/dvi/composite/component/svideo, no audio inputs sadly. Pretty nice except for the little blue line running down the right side. Has picture in picture so I was surfing CAG and testing yesterdays NES at the same time! Looks great in person, blurry pics are blurry. 

Had jury duty stuff today and yesterday so I hit up 3 GWs since theyre on the way home. $15, system only. Bought it because I have extra parts and its really clean besides the sticker. Cables were $0.50 apiece.

Then I was driving away and saw this. "When this baby hits 88 mph, youre gonna see some serious shit!"

A guy at my YMCA drives a Delorean. It's a complete piece of shit, and he won't let me drive it, but I admire it. He said the parking brake broke about 20 years ago, so he has to put blocks behind the wheels everywhere he goes.

I want one.

I have been going to a mom and pop thrift store for six months now and until today the best things I've found there have been a $1 copy of Tony Hawk Pro Skater mixed in with the CDs and a $20 sealed copy of the two Star Wars trilogies on BluRay. Today though I found a stash of decent SNES games (carts only) for $30, which I talked down from $60 (which was crazy):

Super Mario World

Zelda: Link to the Past

Mario Kart

Donkey Kong Country 1,2, & 3

Not a super deal but fantastic considering the store's history.
$10 a game doesn't seem crazy to me - I would have happily paid $10 each for a few of those. I'd be lucky to find them in my area for $20, let alone $10.

There is a guy here who had one for years. I tried to buy it several times, but he always wanted too much for it. He finally sold it last year, since BTTF is popular again.

Was bored, went thrift shopping, had an oddly successful day. Got all this.

A64Nb5F.jpg

Was bored, went thrift shopping, had an oddly successful day. Got all this.
Wow $5 NES?! Did all the stuff in the bag come with it? With the prices Ive been seeing lately I think my $5 complete system days are LONG GONE! "We're a thrift store and someone just dropped this off here bbbbbbut we saw this price on Ebay........we cant figure out why it sits in the glasscase for weeks!"

Yeah $5 for a complete NES is an excellent deal (if it is for everything), one that would never happen at my local thrifts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow $5 NES?! Did all the stuff in the bag come with it? With the prices Ive been seeing lately I think my $5 complete system days are LONG GONE! "We're a thrift store and someone just dropped this off here bbbbbbut we saw this price on Ebay........we cant figure out why it sits in the glasscase for weeks!"
I got lucky and walked in as they were stocking the shelves and yes everything in the bag came with it. It was a shame there weren't any NES games around but took the decent N64 stuff.

I gotta check out a Savers. I didnt know theres one only 33 miles away from me.......Its only a few blocks from a Goodwill too!

I gotta check out a Savers. I didnt know theres one only 33 miles away from me.......Its only a few blocks from a Goodwill too!
Savers generally isn't always the cheapest but I will give them an A+ for quality of items. I have found most of my good items at Savers, for example last year I got a set of Boston Acoustics HD7 speakers for $5 for the pair which is a steal although the speakers themselves are from the 90's. I've got a few Goodwills and Amvet thrift stores I hit in my area as well. The Goodwills at least by me are very poor and the Amvets vary week to week. I can go from nothing to a set of rare C64 games in no time at the one Amvets. I try to get out there once a week wish I lived a bit closer but it's usually about 30-35 miles to get out to them from where I live.

The local GW are shit.  My sister works at one and says the manager talks about "$100,000 Beanie Babies" and checks the online price of everything.  Anything decent is shipped off to the online store, leaving the locals overpriced clothes and broken printers.  I haven't seen anything other than sports games for a few years.  I used to see lots of good stuff like games and vintage cameras.

The local GW are shit. My sister works at one and says the manager talks about "$100,000 Beanie Babies" and checks the online price of everything. Anything decent is shipped off to the online store, leaving the locals overpriced clothes and broken printers. I haven't seen anything other than sports games for a few years. I used to see lots of good stuff like games and vintage cameras.
Sounds like my goodwill and Salvation Army

I went to Goodwill this evening and it was not a bad day...

Im not much of an anime guy, but I LOVED DBZ as a kid so when I saw all 8 seasons for $43 total I had to get them all...

In terms of games...they had just put out a BUNCH of collectors editions of ps3/360 gen games...it was really weird -- it looked like someone donated their entire collection...

I picked up:

Fable 3 CE 5.99

Space Marine PS3 CE 8.99 (sealed)

Kingdom of Amalur Special Edition 5.99 (sealed)

Soul Calibur 4 PS3 for 4.99 (this one didnt have the game...)

the bummer is that apparently one guy beat me to 5 of them just an hour before i got there...I wonder what he got, and I wonder why he didnt get them all...

either way it was one of the most interesting finds at GW for me...

Yeah, GWs are weird like that. I've found CIB SNES, NES and genesis games recently. I think it really depends on the staff. If they skew younger 20s-30s and can recognize games theyll get shipped off to the online store, but some stuff manages to slip through. I've found Aladdin Genesis CIB, and Disney Adventures in the magic kingdom, so I'm guess they look at it quick and assume its a disney VHS or DVD. My hunch on the CEs is that they either didn't know what they were or decided it was too much hassle to ship them to the online store. 

Finally had a few finds after a dry spell.  Picked up a CIB copy of Star Trek Elite Force 2 for $3 and a TI-89 graphing calculator (with cover) for $1.99.

Same GW had (in the case) World of Warcraft and The Burning Crusade (both opened/used/most likely 100% unusable) for $21.99 EACH.  I had a good laugh about that one.

I had a fun week of thrifting, though nothing really valuable, I was able to get most of these for pretty cheap on the half off Saturday.

med_gallery_350075_7875_255154.jpg

PS1 games and Area 51 were $1.50 each

Another Electronic Uno (though not as good as the last one I found) for $1

:360: Marvel Ultimate Alliance / Forza 2 combo for $2.50

Star Wars CCG Two Player Set for $1

Sequence Deluxe (sealed) for $4

I bought the Star Wars CCG since I was once addicted to that game, spent way too much money on those cards.  I had to bring out my old sets from the attic to wax over in nostalgia.

Wish my GW did half off Saturday. Got a CIB Wario Ware Inc for Gamecube for 2.99. Found Resident Evil 2. But each disc was marked 4.99. >.> 

Seems like someone bought all the Vita Starter Kits at the Target and donated it all to Goodwill. Now they're marked 14.99. If it was 50% off, I would've picked one up. Messed my screen protector. :lol:

yea that store sucks goat sack. I stopped by on the way home from Seton Hill when I had an interview there last year, and it was a disaster.

Today. happened to have a minute before class so I ran into the GW by campus. They had just set out a cart of items, which contained 3 Warhammer boxed figure sets! I lost my mind because I am a nerd. Conveniently, there was a pool table next to the cart where I checked the contents of each. Sadly, 2 out of 3 where horribly lacking pieces, but the other was complete and 95% unassembled.

What a strange find for a thrift store. I am shocked as to why such a thing ended up donated.
Just going to say. I love Warhammer 40k.

I found an Xbox 360 Beatles Hofner bass yesterday for $7, it's in great shape, not sure if I'll flip it or keep it, this thing's pretty cool

Disappointing overall for me today. My brother fared a bit better though with a $12 DSI with no memory card or charger.

I got a few things though:

Hexen  (PC-CD) $4

Sim City 3000 $4

Star Wars: Dark Forces (PC-CD) $4

Sim City 2000 box with the Sim City 3000 manual in it and the 2000 manual and whatnot $4

Clue (DVD) $3

The Office DVD Board Game $6

I'm pretty stoked after today's Savers trip. I picked up a copy of Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines for $3.99. I have it on steam and remember hearing that it was rare. Figured it would be a nice flip for maybe $20 or so. After taking it out of the plastic it turns out that the plastic seals are still intact. Factory Sealed! Only other listing on Amazon for a sealed copy is $175. Crazy! Oh and I picked up a copy of Blue Stinger for DC.

gFper4Ul.jpg

I'm pretty stoked after today's Savers trip. I picked up a copy of Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines for $3.99. I have it on steam and remember hearing that it was rare. Figured it would be a nice flip for maybe $20 or so. After taking it out of the plastic it turns out that the plastic seals are still intact. Factory Sealed! Only other listing on Amazon for a sealed copy is $175. Crazy! Oh and I picked up a copy of Blue Stinger for DC.

gFper4Ul.jpg
That's awesome, I remember being super excited about blue stinger before it came out.

You guys ever find anything worthwhile at the Salvation Army stores?
I once found an Omnichord OM-300 for $12 in a carrying case. I also found a complete copy of Final Fantasy VII for PC for $5. Nothing else of note, but those two things were pretty great finds.

Same GW had (in the case) World of Warcraft and The Burning Crusade (both opened/used/most likely 100% unusable) for $21.99 EACH. I had a good laugh about that one.
Regular edition or CE?

The CEs hold some value even used.

But yeah, I always laugh when I see MMOs in thrift stores. There's a few copies of ESO on the shopgoodwill site right now. :lol:

You guys ever find anything worthwhile at the Salvation Army stores?
I've found lots of things. Tons of books, tons of games, etc. It's just like any other thrift store. Sometimes they have things and sometimes they don't.

Im not much of an anime guy, but I LOVED DBZ as a kid so when I saw all 8 seasons for $43 total I had to get them all...

In terms of games...they had just put out a BUNCH of collectors editions of ps3/360 gen games...it was really weird -- it looked like someone donated their entire collection...

I picked up:
Fable 3 CE 5.99

the bummer is that apparently one guy beat me to 5 of them just an hour before i got there...I wonder what he got, and I wonder why he didnt get them all...

Could you post a pic of the Amalur? All the CE versions of Amalur were exclusive to the 38 Studios website and are worth some money.

The other day I had quite an experience. Between cashing my check and going to my last client, I stopped by a GW.

710QTXFibES._SL1500_.jpg

This is, you may or may not know, a Capcom Girls Collection Poison 1/6 scale statue from Yamato. It was in the box, in the glass case for 99.99. that is a decent price considering the cost for one elsewhere. I made a comment to some guy whom was checking Lego set prices on ebay on his phone. Then the manager came up and was saying "you can get that here without shipping for cheaper than (the ebay) price"

Now, as I left the store I felt 2 things- first was "who is going to bring 100 bucks into a gw and buy something like that for themselves?" the second was "god, I hate the goodwill". I was so mad, what a scuzzy company. Someone drops of a donation, the store then proceeds to check ebay prices and mark it accordingly knowing that someone will come in just to buy and flip it themselves.

I just felt sleezy after the whole situation. what a weird find for a thrift store.

Disclaimer- Yes I am familiar with the nature of capitalism, and yes I understand that other people don't feel that way. However, it was just such a weird experience that I though I would share, cognition and all.

As long as we can all acknowledge that Goodwill is greedy for checking eBay prices to flip donations. Only CAGs are allowed to do that.

Picked this up at Goodwill yesterday. Nothing special, but it's the first decent thing I've found at a Goodwill in months.

OcszbX8.jpg

My question is..... do people fap to that?

Edit:

Was referring to the Capcom statue, not Judge Dredd.

While I was getting my car inspected the other day , my friend went around the thrift stores in the area and got some good stuff.

At the Goodwill Outlet:

- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 

- Final Fantasy VIII (2 out of 4 discs)

Goodwill:

- Starblade (Japanese Import PS1)

- Tekken 3 (Japanese Import PS1)

- Tobal No. 1 (Japanese Import PS1)

- Rockman X3 (Japanese Import PS1)

Best Thrift:

- Shadow the Hedgehog (Xbox)

- Ghost in the Shell (PS2)

DAV:

- Cardinal Syn

- Jersey Devil

- Intelligent Qube

So, beside failing my inspection and having to pay $140 to fix the problem, it was overall a great day!

I picked up:

Fable 3 CE 5.99

or someone died and you got there collection after there family donated it hey thats life

My last big snes find came at a Salvation Army.

I stopped back today and they had nothing interesting at all.
well i went to salvation army once and it was overpriced ill be hitting the store up this upcoming friday but poeple stealing from goodwill is getting bad smh and you can who they are they come on the weekends it seems

My question is..... do people fap to that?

Edit:

Was referring to the Capcom statue, not Judge Dredd.
Yes to both.

If we're talking Dredd, only Karl Urban's Dredd, not Stallone's.
Yes to both...Wait no, only to Stallone to show dominance. It isn't a gay thing, it is an alpha dog thing. But do I also have to do it to Karl Urban? No, but I will.

(For the record, I am not gay - "Not that there's anything wrong with that")

I gotta weigh in on this, Dredd was terrible. Judge Dredd, while campy, was much more enjoyable.
I wasn't comparing the movies, but the actors. But my joke is so far off the rails now, I'll just refrain. :lol:

Yes to both.
When it comes to Poison Ivy: no dong, no wrong.

Back on topic:

I picked up a Star Trek TNG Tiger Handheld for .99. Nothing to spectacular. Also found a bag containing few Word World plush for 1.99.

bread's done
Back