2014 Thrift Store Thread - Post your finds here!

I got a yellow Game Boy (the first yellow Game Boy I've ever seen) with six games for $20. The games were Donkey Kong Land, Kirby's Dream Land 2, Milon's Secret Castle, Animaniacs, Skate or Die Bad N Rad, and Ultra Motocross. 

Been a while since I had a goodwill find, but got a good one today.

6z3fZNV.jpg

Transparent Red Dualshock 2, never seen this one in person before, this is my 7th variation of the DS2, in awesome shape apart from a heavily worn square button.

Went to goodwill and found a copy of Conker:Live & Reloaded for $2.99. Only thing missing is the instruction booklet. I also picked up Mortal Kombat:Complete Edition for $2.99 for the X360 complete.

Had to take back the JBL speaker set, got an ac adapter from Ebay (which is also on its way back) and the speakers stopped working after 10 mins. Gave the Super Mario Galaxy 2 puzzle to my friend and her daughter because it was her bday and they will actually put it together whereas it would sit on a table here! Today was 50% Media, which there is never really anything when I go! Got all this stuff for about $23. Wireless PS3 guitar/dongle, hacky sack, Croc complete, Eye Toy Play complete, Sorcery sealed, and RB came from Gamestop for a whopping $2.

Last edited by a moderator:
20140903_172829.jpg

Got out of work alittle early today(a few days ago), so took a trip to one of the local goodwills. Walked in, and saw the Sega Game Gear just sitting on the glass counter. Not sure if it was just brought out, or someone looked at it, and didn't want it. Had no price, so one of the girl's that know me there, says hold on a sec and takes it to the back. She comes back out and says it's $4.99. I search the store for Game Gear games, and find this one NES game, just sitting by itself, Infiltrator for $1.99, and was priced today. So check the whole store over but find nothing else. Total was $7.58, and with a 5 dollar credit, total comes out to $2.58. Now I just need some batteries to test out the Game Gear...

Nothing that I want at this goodwill today but by far the most cleanest and organized goodwill store I've have ever been to. I gotta say the workers at this goodwill know which is $$$ and which is not and price it according to the resale market. For example there was a complete copy of Conker xbox for $25, New/Sealed copy of Madden 09 Xbox for $30, complete copy of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze Wii U for $25, New/Sealed copy of Elder Scrolls Online $25, etc. 

VQHPX02.jpg

Wouldve seen that wall and been like  :drool: but then see those prices and been like  :wall:  fuck !! 

Some really great deals today......a beat to shit Legend Of Zelda cartridge for $12 and a Tony Hawks Ride bundle for $70!...........morons

Not a video game find, but found a size 60(!!!! someone fatter than I am!?!?!?) 1980 Earl Campbell Mitchell and Ness Houston Oilers Jersey for 4.25.  It looks NWOT.

Well shit.  I had a non-gaming find of a more comical value, but after getting home and looking it up just for shits and giggles, I'm kicking myself.

At the local GW, they had a CIB Flowbee system for $4 that looked unused.  Funny stuff, right?  But they are selling between 50-100 on eBay. SELLING.  I am heading back in the morning to hopefully pick it up.

On the gaming side, I did pick up Inuyasha: The Secret of the Cursed Mask :ps2: for $3.  Near complete, but the manual is MANGLED.

Got these for $5.99 each.
I loved World of Illusion (moreso than Castle), the co-op was the major selling point to me.

Well shit. I had a non-gaming find of a more comical value, but after getting home and looking it up just for shits and giggles, I'm kicking myself.

At the local GW, they had a CIB Flowbee system for $4 that looked unused. Funny stuff, right? But they are selling between 50-100 on eBay. SELLING. I am heading back in the morning to hopefully pick it up.
Flowbee had the distinction of being equal parts absurd and dangerous looking. I'm guessing nostalgia is the reason for such a price jack...

At my first job as a teen (~20 years ago), I worked with a guy that said he used a flowbee and loved it. This guy also had the most impressive mullet I have ever seen to this day and drove a beat up iroc camaro, so you can draw your own conclusion there. :lol:

As someone who has had my hair cut by a flowbee (when I was younger and kept my hair long), they actually work really well.

I went to the annual used book sale a local church holds, hoping I would find something that trumps last year's Earthbound strategy guide find and this has got to be the top find I have EVER found thrifting.
IMG_20140911_144321_997.jpg

This was $3 and is complete, aside from missing the mousepad. the Teen rating is a sticker.

I went to the annual used book sale a local church holds, hoping I would find something that trumps last year's Earthbound strategy guide find and this has got to be the top find I have EVER found thrifting.

This was $3 and is complete, aside from missing the mousepad. the Teen rating is a sticker.
I had to eBay search it first (shame on me), but excellent find!

I had to eBay search it first (shame on me), but excellent find!
I almost didnt recognize the box at first (I had only seen it in a Lazy Game Reviews video) because I saw it from the side but then I looked at it and I couldn't contain my excitement. I think a five minute bike ride turned into a minute and I was beaming the entire time. I still cant believe I found it lol

PSOqKnN.jpg

Toy story game worked, just needed new batteries and I've been looking for a replacement cover for Races, Rescues, and Runaways.

No like from me out of bitterness.

Had a Solid day today for the little amount of shopping I did.

Earthworm Jim VHS Volume #2 - 1$

Soul Calibur 2 GC Complete - 5$

Top Angler PS2 Complete - 3$

Halo 2 Map Pack - 5$

Skate on 360 - 7$

Really wish I'd have kept my copies of Arena and Daggerfall I got at a yard sale a few years ago for $2 a piece. They've gone up quite a bit from what I sold them for. Plus I wouldn't mind just having them now.

PSOqKnN.jpg

Toy story game worked, just needed new batteries and I've been looking for a replacement cover for Races, Rescues, and Runaways.
Is the Thomas video for someone else, or are you a brocomotive (an adult Thomas fan)? I recently discovered that there are literally thousands of videos of people on Youtube that film themselves making Thomas toys crash - all these videos have MILLIONS of views each. I've been wondering why these videos are popular - I can't comprehend how a video of a grown man crashing a Thomas toy can garner more views than some famous musicians. Maybe you can shed some light?

My kids watch Thomas all of the time and I am starting to despise that show.  I would enjoy watching some wanton destruction on the Island of Sodor. 

... unless the trains crashing is some sort of gay fetish thing. :lol:

Alright I got so excited from my first trip to the used book sale I forgot to add a couple things:

Essential Spider-Man (early printings vols 1 and 2)

Runaways vol. 1 (digest)

Then this was from today's half off day:

IMG_20140913_182721_808.jpg

Also I got a bunch of other things:

Diablo 2 and Lord of Destruction

and some movies:

Death to Smoochy

Peggy Sue got Married

Jerry Maguire

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

Twilight 1,2 and 3

Romeo and Juliet (DiCaprio version)

Ghosts of Mars

Hollow Man

All for $7.50

Weird that in both years I have gone to this used book sale I have gotten more media than used books lol.

Finally bought a ps1, 10$ with 2 controllers, memory card and cords in great shape.

Also got a Target salvage afterglow 360 controller for my brother to use on his pc, for 10$

Is the Thomas video for someone else, or are you a brocomotive (an adult Thomas fan)? I recently discovered that there are literally thousands of videos of people on Youtube that film themselves making Thomas toys crash - all these videos have MILLIONS of views each. I've been wondering why these videos are popular - I can't comprehend how a video of a grown man crashing a Thomas toy can garner more views than some famous musicians. Maybe you can shed some light?
I've never heard of people posting videos on youtube doing that until now, nor why people enjoy that, sorry can't help you there.

But I do enjoy the show, excluding the newer seasons, so I guess I'm a brocomotive? (Never actually heard of the term)

I've never heard of people posting videos on youtube doing that until now, nor why people enjoy that, sorry can't help you there.

But I do enjoy the show, excluding the newer seasons, so I guess I'm a brocomotive? (Never actually heard of the term)
Ah, maybe one day I'll find someone who can explain those videos to me.

Man the Goodwills sucked today- $25 Genesis's, $20 system only Xbox, $3 sports games but $6+ on higher "quality" carts (Jungle Strike, Excitebike, that beat up Zelda, a few others), or just nothing at all. I passed on a $25 "asis" white DS Lite with charger and a $20 Wii with just the stand. (im suprised GW even marked them that cheap as is!)

I finally got around to cleaning and testing this stuff I got after failing at yardsales on Saturday. This is from some little store that Ive never seen anyone else in at the same time as me. Ive passed on most of this before but was on a mission to make a bundle. I pretty much took apart and cleaned everything here that could be taken apart, it was all pretty dirty! Paid $17 for everything. 

Spiderman Gamecube- no booklet

Tak Gamecube- Blockbuster case, no booklet

N64 games- Mission Impossible, A Bugs Life, Toy Story 2, Tony Hawks Pro Skater

Black Gamecube with power adapter (took an hr of tweaking to get it to read games)

PS1 with 2 rf adapters that dont even work with this model, power cable, and 3rd party controller (doesnt power on, I think bad power supply)

3 little glass squares with what look like decals on them (2 Simpsons, 1 TMNT)

And yes thats an Aura Interactor. Came with the base, power cord, and connector cord. No system adapters though. I tested it with an audio cable plugged into my phone and Into The Dead. Seems to work just fine.

Did pretty well today. This was a mix of Thrift Stores, Pawn Shops and Half Price Books but I'm just going to put it all in one.

My first find of the day came at a Half Price Books I used to live near but which is now quite a long way from me. Was in the area though. They always used to have crap prices but good deals during sales of course, and sometimes they'd slip up on something. I was shocked to find most of their prices reasonable, it seems something has changed in pricing. Not much I needed but grabbed:

Mega Man X6 (PS1): $9.99

Justice League Chronicles (GBA): $1.00 (they had a bin of $1.00 GB/GBA/GBC/PSP games but most were just crap)

Yu Gi Oh GX Duel Academy (GBA) $1.00 (this is to flip, no interest in Yu Gi Oh but I saw it goes around 10.00)

Stopped at a small Pawn Shop I rarelyl find much at and was surprised to see a stack of Genesis and N64 games. Nothing I needed though. Still, all non marked PS3 games were $6.00 so I grabbed:

Metal Gear Rising Revegeance (PS3): $6.00

X-Com: Enemy Unknown (PS3): $6.00

Apparently I mislabeled X-Com on my list though and already had it which kind of sucks. Good news though is that mine is still sealed so I'll likely just do a no receipt return somewhere...

My next finds came at a Pawn Shop I used to go to a lot as it was literally a 2 minute drive from my house. I am friendly with the employees there and they used to set aside good stuff for me at times but since I literally only get in there 3-4 times a year now, they don't anymore. Still, we always chat when I'm in. I saw two Wii U games for good prices. I was only going to grab one but when I mentioned I thought about the other the girl asked if I'd do both if she made me a good deal. Was offered $10.00 extra off the second (which was already a good deal really) so I had to do it. Grabbed:

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U): $14.99

The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker HD (Wii U): $9.99

Stopped at a Goodwill down the road and they had a stack of GB games in the case. Saw the Yellow cart and knew I had to look, but this place while it used to be good has gone up in price in my experience in the last year and a half. Not with these. $2.99 each and I grabbed the good ones.

Pokemon Yellow (GBC): $2.99

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers the Movie (GB): $2.99

Batman the Animated Series (GB): $2.99

Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (GB): $2.99

Needed all but the Pokemon which will pay for a lot of this.

Hit up another Half Price Books and found a PS2 game for a good price I had heard good things about:

Mobile Suit Gundam Encounters in Space (PS2): $7.99

Last find of the day was at a Pawn Shop I go to sometimes, most of their prices suck but once in awhile I'll score. In their stack of crap PS2 games I found:

Disaster Report (PS2): $1.99

Needed that one. A bit scratched up but worst case I'll resurface it.

So I got 13 games, for just under 71 plus tax. Not bad. Some very good ones mixed in. Pokemon Yellow and the Yu Gi Oh will make me back a chunk of it though Yellow seems to have really fallen off in price from what I'm showing. Still a solid find for what I paid though.

For those who claim we get lucky when we find stuff also, there is some, but I went to a total of 16 places today and only found something at 6 of them. Its really just about hitting a lot of places and eventually the numbers will work out for you.

UGH im waiting for my mom and aunt to finish walking around the local GW (it only takes me about 15mins) and decide to check ShopGoodwill on my phone. That store has listed: Pokemon Silver and Yellow, a blue Gameboy Color with Super Mario Deluxe/Super Mario Land/Tetris/Wario Land/Donkey Kong Land/Paper Boy/Legend Of Zelda Oracle of Ages bundle, and a Wii with cables/controllers/stand/sensor/6 mehh games. "yeah we still put some games and systems on the shelf".........BS...just sports crap, shovelware, and overpriced Genesis's/Xbox's!!!

Unless a few employees get fired or quit from the 3 closest GWs I think my oldschool Nintendo finds are gonna be slim to none. Thank God the 2 old boys and one other guy who work at smaller thrifts around here remember what im looking for and cut me deals. 

Got Twilight Princess today at a local thrift store for $3. The rest of the NES and SNES Mortal Kombat I got at a pawn shop for $22 total.

These guys I got at another local place for $25 a piece. I actually am wondering what they are really worth? The only one I can find on ebay is $149. Does that sound right? lol

Edit: By the way, the Sega's are new in the box.

[quote name="Ironman8" post="12103455" timestamp="1411018084"]3 records and another insulator. Amazingly the insulator has no chips. First one I have seen without damage.

med_gallery_354731_8396_731059.jpg
[/quote]

What is it with you and the insulators? Do you just like the look of them?

[quote name="sp00ge" post="12105466" timestamp="1411081906"]IIRC, those things are collectible and some are worth money. Plus some look like they'd double as a butt plug in a pinch.[/quote]

Maybe for advanced users...

I know they're a little collectible, I was just surprised to see several of them from the same cag. When I looked them up before it seemed most were worth 6-8 bucks.

[quote name="sp00ge" post="12105466" timestamp="1411081906"]IIRC, those things are collectible and some are worth money. Plus some look like they'd double as a butt plug in a pinch.[/quote]

Maybe for advanced users...

I know they're a little collectible, I was just surprised to see several of them from the same cag. When I looked them up before it seemed most were worth 6-8 bucks.

Stopped by my local GW and picked up 20 copies of Kirby's Epic Yarn(brand new/sealed) for $4/each. I would have bought the remaining 4 copies but I didn't have enough cash on me.

Maybe for advanced users... I know they're a little collectible, I was just surprised to see several of them from the same cag. When I looked them up before it seemed most were worth 6-8 bucks.
My grandparents have land right next to a set of railroad tracks and I find a ton of them just sitting down by the tracks. Most are in pretty good shape. I've taken a couple over the years, they also double as decent bookends.

bread's done
Back