2014 Yardsale thread

Pickups today for a total of $15:

-Ratchet Deadlocked (PS2)

-Resident Evil 5 (PS3)

-Mario Hoops 3 on 3 (DS)

-Monopoly .com edition

Also got four tins for another dollar. They're unused and have Batman, Halo 4, Assassin's Creed, and CoD decorations.

13177276385_332e3dd159_z.jpg

Found magic at a sale today. Walked up and immediately saw the guitar and picked it up after I saw the $10 price on it. Then I asked if they had any music or games items and brought out a binder of about 50 CDs. Offered $15 for the lot and was able to pick it all up.

This past Saturday was lovely here in Baltimore (though it sucks right now), so I got the chance to go out to a few sales! Unfortunately, I busted my phone last week so I don't have pics , but here's the run-down:

At the first sale I picked up Die Hard Trilogy (PS1), House of the Dead 2 (DC), and Project Overkill (PS1) for $3 to go to the MAGFest inventory. The family was super nice and I got to talking to them about games, turns out they still have and play all their old stuff. They also let me walk away with some old monitors (for MAGFest) and the Miami Vice board game for my goofy friends.

At the second, I picked up a couple of Dreamcast controllers and some random Dreamcast games for $5. Noteworthy games include Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure, and Marvel vs. Capcom 2. All this is going to MAGFest.

Third yardsale had a bunch of PS1 and PS2 games. I picked up Kinetica, Mercenaries, Tony Hawk's Underground 2, Digimon World 1-4, Kingsley's Adventure, and a few others for $14. I checked the prices on the Digimon Worlds and realized they're probably worth a good bit, so I think I'm gonna to put them up eBay in order to afford a copy of Demon's Crest someone local is selling.

I thought the fourth yardsale was going to be big score, but it turned out to be a bust. An $80 Wii, some Guitar Hero games, and some sports games. To top it all off, there was apparently a yard sale going on right near my house that had old Sega, Nintendo, and 3DO stuff that I completely missed due to my broken phone. Le sigh.

Does that fisher price player work?
Yes! I was really happy to find it considering it is older than most CAGs. ;) I think it is 1978 copyright

Slowdive, I would seriously buy that Mr. Men record off you. Let me know if your interested.
I'm going to hold onto it. I am a hoarder and I keep a lot of stuff, but I do like oddball stuff like that. I still have some Mr Men PVC figures from the 80s somewhere around here from when I was young (I think they were form arby's) I know I have Mr Bump and Mr Tickle and a few others.

I'm going to hold onto it. I am a hoarder and I keep a lot of stuff, but I do like oddball stuff like that. I still have some Mr Men PVC figures from the 80s somewhere around here from when I was young (I think they were form arby's) I know I have Mr Bump and Mr Tickle and a few others.
No worries! If you decide though to sell or trade let me know.

3DO lot 3-21-14 wanted $100, paid $75

Mainly bought it for Strahl and "D"

:bouncy:
I have never even seen one of these in the wild, guess that's what I get for living in BFE. You said you only got it for "D" and Strahl, do you already own the system?

First yard sale of the year happened a few blocks from my house. Guy had a shitton of NASCAR races he recorded on VHS, roughly 10 paper ream boxes full. Says he converted all of them to DVD. I asked about his DVD recorder and he goes inside and brings out a Magnavox DVD/RW that he sells to me for $15. Maybe now I will convert all those 1990's Bulls games that I recorded on VHS.

Yeah I already have that same model with a box in similar condition that I bought a few? years ago at a garage sale.  I should be able to find the pics when I am home, but I think I paid $25 for my other one and it game with just as many games.

Here is my old 3DO lot...It must have been 2009 according to the photo's timestamp. I think I paid $25. I paid $10 Funny thing is I could drive right to the guy's house I bought it at, but I don't recall what I paid for it.

Now that I look at it, my original lot was a steal. ;)

EDIT: I paid $10 for this lot!! but I don't think they system was working properly.

OP: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/179050-official-2009-yard-sale-thread/?p=5767833

I forgot about this lot ;)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/179050-official-2009-yard-sale-thread/?p=6029272

EDIT: I had an awesome year in 2009. I didn't know what I had gotten at the time, but my old finds were crazy good!

Last edited by a moderator:
^ It's strange how that is, I can remember the places I find good deals and even go back to those areas thinking other sales nearby will net similar results.

Also, looking back at the threads from years past I realized just how difficult it has become to find a good deal.  I'm glad I got back into retro gaming in 08-09 before the market became ridiculous.

I did pretty well today... I happened upon a really funny coincidence, too.

First sale I went too was a bunch of junk. However, I did find a lone Wii console buried under some nicknacks in a box. This was the console only... no cords... nothing. It was also missing the top cover that goes over the Gamecube ports. Anyway, I payed $1 for it, not knowing if it worked or not.

Anyway, about 2 and a half hours later, I came across a different sale, where I saw a Wii box marked at $4. When I inquired about it, the lady informed me that it was just the box and all the cables... everything except the Wii system itself. The planets fucking aligned on this one here.

So anyway, I got a nearly complete Wii console for a total of $5. Only things it's missing is the top flap and the plastic base... that was missing from the box. I hooked up the Wii and it plays perfectly!

Rest of today's finds:

[360] Call of Duty 4 (missing manual) - $0.50

[360] The Orange Box (complete) - $0.50

[360] Portal 2 (complete) - $0.50

[360] Mass Effect (complete) - $0.50

[Wii] Endless Ocean (complete) - $0.50

PS2 Fatty Console with Cables and Controllers - $5

I'll post pics later.

slowdive the fact that you found not one but TWO FZ-10s CIB is amazing and jealousy inducing.

I am embarrassed to say that after 5 months of no yard sales and flea markets, my sleep schedule has shifted so much that I slept through my alarm and missed a 7am church sale this morning. I got there at 9 and only poor leftovers remained. Though it is not the end of the world, in my area these church sales are the first action for yard salers in the year and when I went last time they were only letting so many people in at a time and it took almost an hour for me to get inside so even if I had woken up with my alarm I likely wouldn't have gotten in there in time.

^ It's strange how that is, I can remember the places I find good deals and even go back to those areas thinking other sales nearby will net similar results.

Also, looking back at the threads from years past I realized just how difficult it has become to find a good deal. I'm glad I got back into retro gaming in 08-09 before the market became ridiculous.
I am the same way. It drives my girlfriend crazy but we'll be driving around and I'll go "I bought Earthbound there 3 years ago" or "I bought a handheld lot with 6 Pokemon games there".

And it is not just retro gaming, thanks to Storage Wars and the like yard sales have become so crazily competitive it takes a lot of the fun out of it.

picked up super mario world and super mario all stars cart only for $5 a piece. Not a great deal but it will be a good way to test the Retron5 when it shows up

Would have gone to more sales but Im on call for work and got several phones calls

Well, I had a decent weekend so take a look!

13317767544_89d42df917_z.jpg

Went to this sale after I pulled an all nighter at work so I was not 100% conherent at this sale. But I got a pretty sweet deal. Ended up with 5 hardback guides!

Dragon Age Origins
Skyrim
Ni No Kuni
Fallout New Vegas
Zelda Wind Waker HD (Sealed)

Ended up making the deal of $12 for all 5 which was a good price.

13341905883_6652e0d41b_z.jpg

Second week in a row getting Music CDs! This whole lot was $4 but there were some really good CDs in this pile. A lot of Led Zeppelin and Ozzy Osborne as well as some Moody Blues and Joe Walsh. Also there were a lot of compilation albums which were surprisingly good as well!

13342154974_35b66033c2_z.jpg

13342161494_d77e232b93_z.jpg

I headed back to the same sale that I got the game guides at previously and figured I would try to offer an amount for the whole lot. After looking through, they still had a few guides left. I offered $20 and they too it! Here's what I got:

Metal Gear Solid: The art of HD (hardback)
Red Dead Redemption
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm (Hardback)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Tomb Raider (hardback)
XCOM Enemy Unknown
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Warcraft III Reign of Chaos
Civilization IV
Fable III
Grand Thefdt Auto San Andreas
World of Warcraft Dungeon Companion III
Saints Row the Third
Bioshock Infinite
The Orange Box
Fallout 3
Grand Theft Auto IV
Star Wars Galaxies
Perfect Dark: Janus Tears

Nice finds on the guides! Note: Those 3DOs were 6 years apart from each other. ;)

3-20-14

$20 DS and DS lite lot

"rare" games

Big Brain SEALED $5, Let's Draw opened $4

As always more to come...

Hey Slowdive, did you ever finish your posts from last year?

Also, how do you guys generally get rid of cigarette odors on items you pick up?  Usually I'll hit them with a damp cloth if I can, maybe some disinfectant.  That doesn't work well with manuals or slip covers.  I was thinking of doing the damp cloth, then getting a plastic tub I can put them in along with a box of baking soda to hopefully absorb most of the odor.  I have a CL pickup from a week ago that absolutely reeks of cigarettes.

Also, how do you guys generally get rid of cigarette odors on items you pick up? Usually I'll hit them with a damp cloth if I can, maybe some disinfectant. That doesn't work well with manuals or slip covers. I was thinking of doing the damp cloth, then getting a plastic tub I can put them in along with a box of baking soda to hopefully absorb most of the odor. I have a CL pickup from a week ago that absolutely reeks of cigarettes.
No I am not caught up yet. I have some stuff that is a couple years old still...I tend to not post my best stuff until last (if I have 2 or 3 posts from the same weekend), but I noticed that I forgot a few lots by doing that. ;) Since the new season has basically started, I am going to be trying to post new and old until I am current. I have 1 current gen find, 1 retro find, and one oddball birth of video games find, amongst other stuff to post still.

In terms of smell. I would wash with soap and water first, then get a rubbermaid with a lid and put some type of rack (like a cookie cooling rack or a rack you would use in a cupboard) in it and set the item on the rack. Then use about a teaspoon of vanilla on a rag and set the rag at the bottom of the rubbermaid and close the top for a few days. That should mask some of the odor until they can properly air out.

Smoke is one of the most difficult things to get out of objects...It is the bane of comic book collectors and this advice came from one of the few licensed comic book restorers in the USA (not me BTW).

Also, how do you guys generally get rid of cigarette odors on items you pick up? Usually I'll hit them with a damp cloth if I can, maybe some disinfectant. That doesn't work well with manuals or slip covers. I was thinking of doing the damp cloth, then getting a plastic tub I can put them in along with a box of baking soda to hopefully absorb most of the odor. I have a CL pickup from a week ago that absolutely reeks of cigarettes.
I know most people frown on this but I would suggest spraying either #1) Neutra-Air or #2) Febreeze around the affected objects. I've had really good luck with this method. Also non-scented baby wipes work wonders.

I know most people frown on this but I would suggest spraying either #1) Neutra-Air or #2) Febreeze around the affected objects. I've had really good luck with this method. Also non-scented baby wipes work wonders.
I've done febreeze before and have had pretty good results. Luckily I've never had anything I really wanted to keep smell of smoke, but I've febreezed and drier sheeted things that I've ended up selling. Stuff usually ends up smelling just like febreeze.

9-12-12 lost finds

I actually kinda remember this day. Someone beat me to this sale and bought their NES. Talked to the owners for a while and they told me they did have a few games that they found after they sold the system. I believe I paid $2 total (possibly $1 total).

I was in a different area this day for some reason. I don't have GPS or a smart phone and I tend to get lost, so I also tend to stay in my hometown. :lol:  I talked to these people for a while and asked if they had any video games. They said they had a N64 and I told them I was interested. They pulled this lot out and they said $3 for the n64 and controller (the second controller was free because it didn't have a dongle), but the games are separate. I said how much for the games? They said 25 cents each.

:mrgreen:

More to come...

Wow, all of these great finds make me want to start going to tag/garage sales. Oddly enough I've never been to one!
Definitely have to check some out. Your not gonna score at everyone, and you might get discouraged sometimes, but when you get

a good sale, it makes it all worth it, at least for me

I have Finally found some boxed video game stuff! They're all complete and all of them have their maps and posters. Paid $45 for the whole bundle at the yardsale. The lady was holding a Boxed Link to past and some star wars game for someone else. Those were the ones that I missed out on. I'm going to look for some box protectors now. My game collection is going to look so cool now! Pretty good day lol!

I have Finally found some boxed video game stuff! They're all complete and all of them have their maps and posters. Paid $45 for the whole bundle at the yardsale. The lady was holding a Boxed Link to past and some star wars game for someone else. Those were the ones that I missed out on. I'm going to look for some box protectors now. My game collection is going to look so cool now! Pretty good day lol!
Early candidate for find of the year!

Oddly enough I had the same thing happen to me with NES games a few years back. Think I picked up 40 Boxed NES games and about 20 loose carts for $20. It happens for sure but it's all right place, right time.

Oddly enough I had the same thing happen to me with NES games a few years back. Think I picked up 40 Boxed NES games and about 20 loose carts for $20. It happens for sure but it's all right place, right time.
Those don't count! I found boxed NES games for $1 each a year or two ago. SNES are so much tougher :p

Well, I had a decent weekend so take a look!

13317767544_89d42df917_z.jpg

Went to this sale after I pulled an all nighter at work so I was not 100% conherent at this sale. But I got a pretty sweet deal. Ended up with 5 hardback guides!

Dragon Age Origins
Skyrim
Ni No Kuni
Fallout New Vegas
Zelda Wind Waker HD (Sealed)

Ended up making the deal of $12 for all 5 which was a good price.

13341905883_6652e0d41b_z.jpg

Second week in a row getting Music CDs! This whole lot was $4 but there were some really good CDs in this pile. A lot of Led Zeppelin and Ozzy Osborne as well as some Moody Blues and Joe Walsh. Also there were a lot of compilation albums which were surprisingly good as well!

13342154974_35b66033c2_z.jpg

13342161494_d77e232b93_z.jpg

I headed back to the same sale that I got the game guides at previously and figured I would try to offer an amount for the whole lot. After looking through, they still had a few guides left. I offered $20 and they too it! Here's what I got:

Metal Gear Solid: The art of HD (hardback)
Red Dead Redemption
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm (Hardback)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Tomb Raider (hardback)
XCOM Enemy Unknown
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Warcraft III Reign of Chaos
Civilization IV
Fable III
Grand Thefdt Auto San Andreas
World of Warcraft Dungeon Companion III
Saints Row the Third
Bioshock Infinite
The Orange Box
Fallout 3
Grand Theft Auto IV
Star Wars Galaxies
Perfect Dark: Janus Tears
Holy mother of guide finds. Quite a few of those guides are worth more than you paid for the whole lot. Would love to get my hands on a few of those for cheap. Great find.

Damn, and I thought I got a nice find of boxed SNES games from Savers this passed week, but the selection of games you got trump mine...

Had a pretty decent weekend!

13509430343_26ef7029e6_b.jpg

This was a nice score. went to this sale not expecting much but came away with a win! Avin first found that How to Train Your Dragon plush of a Gronkle. After that I found a brand new Cars 2 LEGO set that was marked $5. I offered $3.50 for the lot and he took it!

13509693444_45afacb82d_z.jpg

Pretty sweet find here. Pulled up as this sale advertised games and there were a lot of them but mostly junk 360/Wii games. However, skylanders were marked $3 each and I picked up a few I didn't have. Came away with: 

Chop Chop 
Jet Vac 
Chill 
Zook 
Shroom Boom 
Ignitor 
Dragonfire Cannon 

Ended up with $15 in them. She told me $18 but I said I couldn't do it and started walking away and she called out to me as I walked off saying she would take the $15

13509425503_cede6f9825_z.jpg

Another week of finding CDs! I picked up around 140 CDs for $7. They were being sold for $0.25 each and the guy told me he'd take $35 for all of them. I told him I paid 6 a couple weeks ago for a comparable pile and he said that he'd take the $7 I initially offered him. 

It's a decent mix of classic rock and country. But oddly enough there were about 50 karaoke CDs in the mix as well. After doing a little research, I also found that karaoke CDs are worth quite a bit. So I'll flip those. 

That SNES lot reminds me of a very similar lot I got for $45 a couple summers ago! But it looks like yours has less/no empty boxes! Congrats

I would like to announce that much like a pokemon, I have evolved...Wait do pokemen evolve or is that a yu-gi-oh? IDK because I am too old to know what they are. That's not the point. The point is, I've started to talk to people in public about games and tried to network through word of mouth.

I've had some decent results. However, today I had a deal that fell trough that I am bummed about. I was working on buying some games from a person for nearly a week. I had told her that I know the pokemon had high resale value and that she could research a little and get back to me on pricing. Finally today she came back with $6 per game, except pokemon rev (wii) and mario kart (wii) were $15 each. She had mario sunshine and mario kart on GC as $6 games. I asked if she would take $20 for the 2 GC games and the pokemon and if not, that I would still be interested in the 2 gamecube games for the $12 she asked. Well she apparently didn't tell her daughter that she was selling her games and when she did, her daughter started crying. She said that she will hold onto the games for now and let me know if her daughter changes her mind. I thanked her and told her I understand.

----

Story over. On to a few finds:

Got these for free. Boxes.  Figured they are good to have if there is a crazy tiv on amazon or if I find a loose system. There was an unused club Nintendo code for Mario kart wii. BONUS!!

Paid $5 for this one - like new (surprised it is in this good of shape actually). It also had an unused club Nintendo code. BONUS AGAIN!!

Paid $10 for this lot. Cherry picked from a larger lot. The OG xbox memory card is still sealed.

And I got this one for $2. Complete and in decent shape:

:bouncy:

More to come...

Slowdive, how did you score the Wii and PS3 those boxes? Someone just tossing them out?

Slowdive, how did you score the Wii and PS3 those boxes? Someone just tossing them out?
I tell people I am interested in anything to do with video games, even empty boxes and manuals. I was originally going to pay $5 for them, but they have some water damage and she was late, so she just gave them to me. I would like to think it was my charm, but more likely she was late to be somewhere. ;)

EDIT: Originally she said she had a playstation and a Nintendo box and one with an orange gun on it, so I figured they would be PS1 or PS2 and the original Nintendo with zapper boxes.

bread's done
Back