2014 Yardsale thread

I have Finally found some boxed video game stuff! They're all complete and all of them have their maps and posters. Paid $45 for the whole bundle at the yardsale. The lady was holding a Boxed Link to past and some star wars game for someone else. Those were the ones that I missed out on. I'm going to look for some box protectors now. My game collection is going to look so cool now! Pretty good day lol!
Nice pickup. I regret trading in my snes. Best game was Mario RPG and secret of mana. (and final fantasy 2,3)

I would like to announce that much like a pokemon, I have evolved...Wait do pokemen evolve or is that a yu-gi-oh? IDK because I am too old to know what they are. That's not the point. The point is, I've started to talk to people in public about games and tried to network through word of mouth.

I've had some decent results. However, today I had a deal that fell trough that I am bummed about. I was working on buying some games from a person for nearly a week. I had told her that I know the pokemon had high resale value and that she could research a little and get back to me on pricing. Finally today she came back with $6 per game, except pokemon rev (wii) and mario kart (wii) were $15 each. She had mario sunshine and mario kart on GC as $6 games. I asked if she would take $20 for the 2 GC games and the pokemon and if not, that I would still be interested in the 2 gamecube games for the $12 she asked. Well she apparently didn't tell her daughter that she was selling her games and when she did, her daughter started crying. She said that she will hold onto the games for now and let me know if her daughter changes her mind. I thanked her and told her I understand.

----

Story over. On to a few finds:

Got these for free. Boxes. Figured they are good to have if there is a crazy tiv on amazon or if I find a loose system. There was an unused club Nintendo code for Mario kart wii. BONUS!!

Paid $5 for this one - like new (surprised it is in this good of shape actually). It also had an unused club Nintendo code. BONUS AGAIN!!

Paid $10 for this lot. Cherry picked from a larger lot. The OG xbox memory card is still sealed.

And I got this one for $2. Complete and in decent shape:

:bouncy:

More to come...
Slowdrive, I really like reading your posts on amazing finds. I wish I can find stuff like that, but in my area its difficult. Keep up the great work.

Kind of a disappointing weekend, but then again the rain kept a lot of people inside. I managed to pick up some 360 games for MAGFest (shooter bro games, I don't remember which) for $20, The Graveyard Book for $2, and Arcanum and Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller for $2. Almost netted a copy of Smash Bros Melee at school market, but I was 30 seconds too late.

Well the new season has kinda started even though it is cold.

4-4-14 (trying to keep my dates consistent)

So I may have gotten a bad deal here...

I traded an ACIV PS4 used for this stuff:

Nier is complete and in decent shape, FFVII was supposed to be complete, but it is missing the manuals, and the Anime could be in better shape. I used a b-day coupon for AC, so I paid $40 GS credit for this stuff. I also got a gamecube that looked like it was picked out of the trash and a nintendo GC memory card. That have been sitting in a bag in the bottom of my car.

This lot I paid $35. Again more than I like to pay for stuff, but the games are pristine.

More to come...

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar thing happen to me as Slowdive21. I was talking to this one lady that had posted a collection of wii games online with pics. Had pretty much every Wii Mario game that came out, Kirby Return to Dreamland and 20th Collection, Zelda etc. for 5 bucks a game. After basically wanting it all and agreeing on a price, she comes back to me like an hour or 2 later, says she didn't tell her son she was selling the games, he got upset and cried, so she then pulled out of the whole deal. I couldn't believe it....

I had a similar thing happen to me as Slowdive21. I was talking to this one lady that had posted a collection of wii games online with pics. Had pretty much every Wii Mario game that came out, Kirby Return to Dreamland and 20th Collection, Zelda etc. for 5 bucks a game. After basically wanting it all and agreeing on a price, she comes back to me like an hour or 2 later, says she didn't tell her son she was selling the games, he got upset and cried, so she then pulled out of the whole deal. I couldn't believe it....
More than likely, someone offered her more money.

I guess I'll have to start looking at these. I just use CL and the local paper. I'm still not going to use a GPS, because it would be too much of an unfair advantage.
I have to use a gps, too new to the area to know where any streets are. Not to mention with work I get all of 3 hours a week to hit sales.

You're braver than me on going out so far. I see almost no sales advertised and weather is awful. I'll wait 2 or 3 weeks to start going out.

Today is the annual Cuba, MO City Wide Yard Sale!!! Given my success in recent years, this should be good!

As aside note, I hit up the Rolla Clean Up day yesterday where people put their trash on the curb and scored a 360, 3 PC monitors, a nice pc tower, a Gamecube controller, and... 30 GOOSE DECOYS!!! Such a random thing to toss but they are worth it for sure.

748946183_o.jpg

There's a story that goes with this pick up. I'll try and be short. Essentially today, there were a metric fuck ton of a community sales this week... but there was also this one post on craigslist about this dude that said he had all kinds of games and other collectibles (like legos and toys.)

Anyway, he listed that he had PS2, PS1, SNES, N64, Gamecube, 3DS, Game Gear, Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360 and XBOX ONE games and consoles. This along with several other collectible things made the post seem almost like bullshit. I mean, who has Xbox One games at a yard sale?

Anyway, I figured that even if it was real... it would be flooded by resellers camping out 2-3 hours before the sale opened. There were tons of community sales to go to, so I figured I'd just skip it. Well I changed my mind last moment and went there. Glad I did. Surprisingly, I was the only one there early morning. He had all the shit he listed (minus the Xbox One games, lol). But yea, his prices weren't like yard sale amazing, but they were very good. If I had more money to blow, I would have bought many more games. I bought some at first, then came back later and he sold me some more at half price. Here's the haul and what I payed:

Final Fantasy 7 (GH) - $3.50

Final Fantasy 8 SEALED (GH) - $7

Resident Evil 4 - $3

Donkey Kong Country 3 CIB - $15

Zelda: Collector's Edition - $17.50

Megaman X4 - $3

Megaman X6 - $3

Powerstone - $4

Mischief Makers - $2.50

Silver Wavebird Controller & Receiver - $5

Spent a little money, but I'm happy with what I got. Adding several of these to my collection.

Went out for my first run of the season. It was fairly unsuccessful.

I found a dirty-ass PS2 with Assassin's Creed 3 (seriously) for $25.

A dirty-ass Wii for $15, but was missing power brick and sensor bar. I thought about getting it for an emulator system, but I can get one at a pawn shop that is complete for $30, maybe get a game or 2.

Saw another PS2, but it was close to $100.

Hope it's going to be a good season, can't wait until my local community sales start.

Some recent finds:

BF3 Xbox 360 Premium edition with case, opened, but code was unused, so I got premium(maybe they didn't know how to put in the code) for 5 bucks - today

Gameboy Advance no battery cover (solid blue) for 50 cents - today

Gameboy advance bag with 2 gameboy advance systems (one clear blue, one clear pink), pokemon silver, pokemon crystal, pokemon red, super mario bros for gameboy, kirby dreamland for gameboy, wario land, 102 dalmations, the little light attachment for the advance, a trading cord - all for just 10 bucks (a counter offer to their original 25).

(dad also found and bought me two original gameboys, one green, one grey, for about 5 bucks when I was sick and couldn't go)

Working Nintendo DS with cracked hinge (still playable, just didn't stay up by itself, but I got used to holding it), did have to buy a charger though, but only paid 5 bucks for one online - the system itself only cost 4 bucks, it also came with a nerf case protector but it was a bit broken and kind of useless to me as I'm not a 3 year old. Got it about 12 months ago.

A backup nintendo 64 (already bought one from a garage sale a long time ago for another 5 bucks) with red expansion pack, all the cords, and donkey kong 64 - 5 bucks

Pokemon Soul Silver - 4 bucks, yeah 4 BUCKS :) .  Had this one for like a year or two before I even had a system I could play it on, until I got that DS up above I was talking about 12 months ago.  Best 13 bucks I've ever spent (system4/charger5/game4), it got me back into pokemon games and I put like 230 hours into just that one game.

Action replay for ds - 4 bucks

A playstation move wand for 25 cents.

A working, fully functional xbox 360 controller (no battery cover, but already had like 5 of them from when I bought replacements for my 360 gears special controller, got the battery covers for like 3 bucks on ebay) - one dollar.

Bad Company 2 Ultimate with case (dlc used though, didn't matter cus I already had it from when I bought bc2 and then sold it, got it back at the garage sale) for 4 bucks.

2 broken (but potentially fixable) PS3 phats to practice on (I have a 60gb in my closet about to die from overheating, need practice with disassembly and reassembly and applying thermal paste), plus a tube of arctic silver 5 (plenty of it in the tube), 2 tubes of thermal compound remover, a really good screwdriver, and a ton of good screwdriver bits (like the heads you replace on it) with a gamebit piece as well, so Now I can open up n64 cartridges to clean them.  And a physical copy of crysis warhead.  Got that all in a box for 8 bucks.

Gran Turismo 5 disc, 5 bucks (kinda regret that one, dlc was NOT on the disc)

Also these aren't garage sale deals, but deals at a tiny little shop no bigger than an average bedroom (not even a master bedroom) called mcmullens this and that..  Got 2 copies of majoras mask for n64, both holographic, kept one, sold the other for 23 bucks on ebay(only paid 5 bucks for each of them), ocarina of time for 5 bucks (though that took a bit of cleaning to make it work, and the sticker is really worn out to the point where you can barely tell what it is, the two majoras masks were in perfect condition though.

I stupidly passed on pokemon black for 6 bucks (passed on it because I didn't know the rarity of ds pokemon games, and because it was bundled with another one, I should have asked if I could have bought it separately, but even if I couldn't, it still would have been worth it).

I'm sure theres more I can't think of at the moment, but those are just some of the things I've found within the past 1 and a half to 2 years of garage sailing, only on saturdays (me and my dad hang out this way).  Garage sales are pretty awesome.

I have Finally found some boxed video game stuff! They're all complete and all of them have their maps and posters. Paid $45 for the whole bundle at the yardsale. The lady was holding a Boxed Link to past and some star wars game for someone else. Those were the ones that I missed out on. I'm going to look for some box protectors now. My game collection is going to look so cool now! Pretty good day lol!
If I found this I would hang up my garage saling hat and retire for the season very very happy. Congratulations! Best find I have seen on this site.

I need to keep posting. I am already falling behind and I am still not completely caught up yet from the past couple years...

2012 MISC

Cherry picked this stuff from a sale. Paid $2 total

Paid $5 total for the N64 lot

Asked about games and she came out with this in a bag. She wanted $10, didn't have the av cord, so she took $5

more to come...

Had another good week this last Saturday. A guy had a bunch of RPGs in a box that his roommate had left behind. All the cases were really dusty but the disks were all good.

For $75: FF IX, Legend of Dragoon, Fear Effect, green gameboy color (sound doesn't work), Xenosaga III, Valkyrie Profile 2, Magna Carta, Kya, Galerians: Ash, Shadow Hearts Covenant/New World, Dirge of Cerberus, Suikoden 3 4 5 and Tactics, DQ 8, Monster Hunter, Phantasy Star, Unlimited Saga, Legaia 2, Champions of Norrath, Shining Tears and Tales of Legendia.

Xenosaga, Valkyrie Profile 2 and Magna Carta are doubles so hopefully I can make some of my money back there. 

I dropped a lot of money this month, but got a lot of deals. It will take me a while to clean/take pics of everything. By my standards I overpaid for some of the stuff, but in terms of retail value, everything was still a deal.

I'll just say today I had a SUPER find. ;)

Forgot to add Final Fantasy 1, 2, Dissidia and Crisis Core for the PSP. Too bad I don't own a PSP.
I can help you solve that problem, for real.

I dropped a lot of money this month, but got a lot of deals. It will take me a while to clean/take pics of everything. By my standards I overpaid for some of the stuff, but in terms of retail value, everything was still a deal.

I'll just say today I had a SUPER find. ;)

Looks like my first real yard sale action is going to happen out of state this year.  I'm in the Raleigh-Durham area of NC and I've seen several listings for community sales.  It will have to be quality because my bag was almost packed to the gills when I flew out and it seems you can never pack as well on the return trip.

Also, anyone from the area have any recommendations for local game stores, thrifts or flea markets to check out?  I fly back home Saturday just before noon.

IT'S OFFICIALLY YARD SALE SEASON!!!! (here)

-Tritton Xbox 360 headset. Don't know what model or if it works. It may be missing a mic part. $1.

-Burnout Paradise Xbox 360- $5

-Seagate 500GB hard drive- $5

-Intec Wireless Action Board for Wii- $1

-Xbox 360 power cord- $1

yzDIYpq.jpg

And the best part......

A workingjjjj Digimon Pinball Machine for $15. Only problem is that sometimes you can't pull the release all the way.*EDIT: fixed* The plastic cover is pretty yellow :/

BoOlScF.jpg

Cool stuff.

I'm finally going out for the first time this year tomorrow. Last year was pretty rough but I'm still excited to get back into it. And hopefully some of the competition will have found some other activity to occupy their time on Saturday mornings. :lol:

I can't post the SUPER find yet, I'm still cleaning them. I bought over 60 games the other day, and one of the lots was filthy. The super lot is pretty clean, but I cleaned the other stuff first.

Here is the pinball machine I bought in the past. IDK if I ever posted it though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wED99rJblc

EDIT: ahh crap. I did post it in 2010.

Its official... I'm going out next week, ha ha. I still haven't seen a lot of sales but hopefully next week there will be enough to at least go out for a few hours.

Probably will be less sales next week due to Easter.

Today's Finds
GH Ape Escape PS1
GH Crash Team Racing PS1
The Grinch PS1

Seller was asking $2 each. CIF'ed $5 and he took it.

Rogue Squadron 2 & 3 GameCube

Seller was asking $3 each. Offered $4 and he took it.

All games today we're minty fresh.

I can't post the SUPER find yet, I'm still cleaning them. I bought over 60 games the other day, and one of the lots was filthy. The super lot is pretty clean, but I cleaned the other stuff first.

Here is the pinball machine I bought in the past. IDK if I ever posted it though:

I doubt Olegie was interested in it just because it's a pinball machine, like me. It's because it's specifically a Digimon machine.

Not an amazing day for me, but okay. 

Got 2 playstation move wands, one nav controller and a Nyko quad charging dock all for 5 bucks.

Unfortunately, didn't notice until I got home that the dock used a power outlet charger rather than usb, and it didn't come with a cord, so does anyone know if there might be any common cords that might work with it?

It's a DC 5.5 volt.  Maybe a PSP charger will work? Idk.

edit: PSP charger didn't work, though I don't know if it's because the item is defective or if a psp charger simply doesn't work.

Had a yard sale across the street from me

Got excited til I realized it was all trash/junk and that the people don't even live there :/

Found a beat up box of Genesis games today. Had about twenty games in it. Figured I might get it for $20 or less. Definitely a smokers house as the cases were sticky and smelled like an ashtray. Passed up the deal at $5 each. Didn't even feel like bargaining since she already looked like she thought she was giving me a great deal.

Found a beat up box of Genesis games today. Had about twenty games in it. Figured I might get it for $20 or less. Definitely a smokers house as the cases were sticky and smelled like an ashtray. Passed up the deal at $5 each. Didn't even feel like bargaining since she already looked like she thought she was giving me a great deal.
Were there any good games in the box or were they all Madden and NBA Showtime?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wED99rJblc

I am excited to see that lot! I really appreciate seeing what everyone finds at yardsales, as where I live is like the wasteland in Fist of the North Star- all these crazy people upselling games and people waiting outside at 6:30 for the sale to start. I have neither the time nor the patience to deal with that.

I love pinball machines. Someday, when I am able to afford/justify/have room for it, I am going to purchase the X-Files machine. It is actually a great table, but I have some nostalgia for that particular table. It is a life goal for me to own that, and sit it between a Magic Sword cabinet and an SNK Neo Geo 4 slot machine.

This, right here. If there was a copy of M.U.S.H.A. in there, then ya passed on some good shit.

Just a bunch of sports games, 3 copies of Sonic 2. Best things in the box were a copy of sewer shark, forgotten world's and Shaq fu
Couple games I might have considered, but they were really sticky with tobacco smoke and I really hate bringing stuff into my house that smells like cigarettes

Had a pretty good Saturday morning of yardsaling! Here's the rundown:

-Hit up a multi-family yard sale early on expecting to find a lot, but the only thing I picked up there was Rhythm Fever Heaven for the DS for $5.

-Picked up a Wii w/o cords but with extra controllers and a charging station for MAGFest, an original XBox for parts also for MAGFest, Sonic 3, Soul Calibur Legends, Kingdom Hearts, the WWF board game, and a bunch of random controllers for $30. Luckily I was the first one there, as the place was soon swarming with people, including a couple just a running a barcode scanner over everything with a UPC code. Those people are the worst.

-Stopped by a nearby yard sale and mentioned video games, the woman says her son has a bunch he doesn't play anymore and she's going to dig them out for her next sale in a couple of weeks. I leave my card and make a note stop by.

-Check out another sale about 20 minutes away and pick up Mario Party 8 for $10 and Strangers with Candy season 1+2 and the movie for $1.50.

-Stop at random sale near the interstate and find an original Xbox with cords plus 2 controllers for $10 for MAGFest.

-Lastly, I stop by a house that's been having ongoing sales. I went there last month and picked up a few games but passed on a Creepy Crawlers kit from the 90's and I've been kicking myself ever since (I loved those things). Anyway, they've got a box out this time with more games, so I snagged all of the following plus the Creepy Crawlers kit and additional mold packs for $19: Killer Instinct (SNES), KI Killer Cuts CD, Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition (GEN), F-Zero (SNES), X Zone (SNES), Rise of the Robots (SNES), Buster Busts Loose, TMNT Tournament Fighters (SNES), Sega Club Math Blaster (GEN), Space Megaforce (SNES), WCW vs NWO (N64), Loaded (PS1), and a couple other games that are eluding me at the moment. Some are for MAGFest and some are for me, but I was very pleased to learn that Space Megaforce is quite rare and fun! That's going in my personal collection.

Had a pretty good Saturday morning of yardsaling! Here's the rundown:

-Hit up a multi-family yard sale early on expecting to find a lot, but the only thing I picked up there was Rhythm Fever Heaven for the DS for $5.

-Picked up a Wii w/o cords but with extra controllers and a charging station for MAGFest, an original XBox for parts also for MAGFest, Sonic 3, Soul Calibur Legends, Kingdom Hearts, the WWF board game, and a bunch of random controllers for $30. Luckily I was the first one there, as the place was soon swarming with people, including a couple just a running a barcode scanner over everything with a UPC code. Those people are the worst.

-Stopped by a nearby yard sale and mentioned video games, the woman says her son has a bunch he doesn't play anymore and she's going to dig them out for her next sale in a couple of weeks. I leave my card and make a note stop by.

-Check out another sale about 20 minutes away and pick up Mario Party 8 for $10 and Strangers with Candy season 1+2 and the movie for $1.50.

-Stop at random sale near the interstate and find an original Xbox with cords plus 2 controllers for $10 for MAGFest.

-Lastly, I stop by a house that's been having ongoing sales. I went there last month and picked up a few games but passed on a Creepy Crawlers kit from the 90's and I've been kicking myself ever since (I loved those things). Anyway, they've got a box out this time with more games, so I snagged all of the following plus the Creepy Crawlers kit and additional mold packs for $19: Killer Instinct (SNES), KI Killer Cuts CD, Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition (GEN), F-Zero (SNES), X Zone (SNES), Rise of the Robots (SNES), Buster Busts Loose, TMNT Tournament Fighters (SNES), Sega Club Math Blaster (GEN), Space Megaforce (SNES), WCW vs NWO (N64), Loaded (PS1), and a couple other games that are eluding me at the moment. Some are for MAGFest and some are for me, but I was very pleased to learn that Space Megaforce is quite rare and fun! That's going in my personal collection.
I see people who scan upc codes at goodwills,thrift stores,swapmeets, they ruin chances of finding anything here in California

I see people who scan upc codes at goodwills,thrift stores,swapmeets, they ruin chances of finding anything here in California
Have you ever been to the mexican swap meets here? They think every used game they have for sale should sell for is $50-$100, and don't even get them started on Mario games

I need to keep posting. I am already falling behind and I am still not completely caught up yet from the past couple years...

2012 MISC

Cherry picked this stuff from a sale. Paid $2 total

Paid $5 total for the N64 lot

Asked about games and she came out with this in a bag. She wanted $10, didn't have the av cord, so she took $5

more to come...
I hate you.... lol. Been looking for Smash everywhere!

The only redeeming grace for the UPC scanners is that at least I can tell from a glance what's worth something or not and beat them to the punch if they're just scanning everything. They also don't show as much attention to carts, heh heh heh.

just wondering since Im not a yard sale guy but trying to become one...how early do you guys wake up on saturdays / sundays to go hunting?

This is another lot that I paid more for than I normally would. I didn't haggle too much because I wanted the lot, but after we negotiated, I told him that was more than I normally pay (which is true).

The guy I bought this from rehabs houses and he gets to keep whatever the previous owners left. He told me he gets games pretty regularly, but he tends to toss stuff since he doesn't have room to store it all. He will now contact me whenever he gets games to see if I want them. The ice has been broken, so hopefully he will come through.

Paid $40 total:

PSOne and misc stuff

N64 lot - I think that is an expansion pack, so I pulled off the cover to show it ;)

Surprisingly all 4 controllers had tight sticks. The darker ones don't seem like they were used much.

more to come...

just wondering since Im not a yard sale guy but trying to become one...how early do you guys wake up on saturdays / sundays to go hunting?
6-7 am. Depending on when my first target sale starts and how long it takes me to stop, grab a biscuit, and get there. I try to be early for community sales, and if I am freestyling, I try to get on the road by 7:30 at the latest.

I also drag my wife along, and it takes her 20-30 minutes to get ready.

bread's done
Back