2016 Thrift Store Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

was looking at some of the retro game hunting videos on youtube from like 2010-2012...man I had forgotten how amazing thrift store prices were before the retro game explosion...I remember back then EVERY SINGLE GAME was between .99 and 3.99...sigh...

13887136_10209176772149086_2459065099855706906_n.jpg

Found this for $3 at a local thrift. Box is beat up and missing manual. 

Not a thrift store find, but when dropped off a bunch of clutter at goodwill I saw someone had donated a sega game gear in a carry case. I didn't open it up, but it made me disappointed because I know that it will just end up on shopgoodwill. Good thing it wasn't something more rare/valuable or I would have had trouble keeping my mouth shut.

Thanks for the kind words, and the video, guys.  I was mostly dealing with anxiety attacks, but the meds they put me on and took me off of messed with me a bit.  I went about a week with barely an hour of sleep each night.  Depression and insomnia, a bad combo.  My doc gave me something new last night and I finally slept a full night last night!   :D

I finally got out a bit more today and while I didn't ht any thrifts, I stopped by my local CD Warehouse and hit gold.  The store occasionally puts their imperfect (small scratch discs, disc only) games on clearance for 1.99-4.99.  I ended up with disc only copies of Black Ops 3 :xb1: for 4.99 and NBA 2K16 :xb1: for 1.99, and in-case copies of Spider-man Shattered Dimensions for 1.99 and NBA Ballers Chosen One for free (B3G1Free).  

Both XB1 games work just fine, I was afraid that maybe they didn't work and that's why they were so cheap.

Not a bad return to CAGing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, they're still doing pretty well around pittsburgh. I don't think they're connected with the other franchises though.

A few posts back now in the conversation, but has anyone tried the Bic pen casing + heat trick to make a custom bit screw driver? I did that for game boy carts, only got a good working one after about three tries, but the end result was good enough for me to keep it around.
I tried a few times, but the plastic kept stripping when I tried using on an SNES. I ended up just ordering these instead: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013HI35WG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should be picking up some Xbox/360 stuff tomorrow for like $3 apiece at the place that took my number. I got all this while I was on vacation in TN/GA region.

Fleamarket- Super Smash Bros Brawl and RE4 Wii Edition both complete for $3 apiece. Wii Sports, no booklet- $0.25

Thrifts- SSX On Tour, complete- $2. Brain Age, complete- $1.50. Syphon Filter 2, complete- $4. Dick Tracy, ripped top of label- $5 (marked $18!)

Picked up:

A mint copy of Conker, MegaMan X Command Commissions, and .Hack mutation for $8 each.
Watchdogs PS4 for $5
2x Gamecube Controllers for $6 each

Other stuffs I saw:
Raiden II PC $3
Opened box PS4 Dualshock4 Controller $25
New/Sealed DeathStroke Book and Mask Set for $8
Lots of Sega Gamegear Catridges $3 each
New/SEALED PS4 Turtlebeach Headset $10
Samurai Showdown $6 (This game brought a lot of memories)
Mario Kart DoubleDash, Mario Party 6, Pikmin 2, Luigi's Mansion $5 each, but no game discs :(

4q4mjHy.jpg

eOkZX2L.jpg

7JaISRH.jpg

thdnvHQ.jpg

ycWY3Rg.jpg
PSBWfRK.jpg
NiVEXSx.jpg
Rgb9UdA.jpg
xHaCwDO.jpg

Picked up:

A mint copy of Conker, MegaMan X Command Commissions, and .Hack mutation for $8 each.
Watchdogs PS4 for $5
2x Gamecube Controllers for $6 each

Other stuffs I saw:
Raiden II PC $3
Opened box PS4 Dualshock4 Controller $25
New/Sealed DeathStroke Book and Mask Set for $8
Lots of Sega Gamegear Catridges $3 each
New/SEALED PS4 Turtlebeach Headset $10
Samurai Showdown $6 (This game brought a lot of memories)
Mario Kart DoubleDash, Mario Party 6, Pikmin 2, Luigi's Mansion $5 each, but no game discs :(

4q4mjHy.jpg

eOkZX2L.jpg

7JaISRH.jpg

thdnvHQ.jpg

ycWY3Rg.jpg
PSBWfRK.jpg
NiVEXSx.jpg
Rgb9UdA.jpg
xHaCwDO.jpg
who would take the games when they were only $5? did you see if they had them up at the counter? i would of asked for the cases since they look clean.

who would take the games when they were only $5? did you see if they had them up at the counter? i would of asked for the cases since they look clean.
Yeah I did ask an employee working there, but I was told the discs were stolen this morning or last night. They wanted $2.50 each for the game manual and case.

Yeah I did ask an employee working there, but I was told the discs were stolen this morning or last night. They wanted $2.50 each for the game manual and case.
I would have bought those 1st party Gamecube cases/manuals at that price, mainly for the manuals. Because I'm too lazy to figure out how to print them out myself at my local Office Max. I also don't know how to remove a watermark from replacementdocs website.

More on topic, went to my local Savers. Saw a baggie of DS game cartridges for $9 passed on it since I was on a budget. May have had less than 10 games in it. It had Big Brain Academy, one of the Brain Age games, My Chinese Coach, and some other girly themed probably shovelware games.

Metal Arms is one of the best games ever.

Edit: havent gone thrifting since May. Been busy with my job. Finally decided to go out and see if I can find anything. Gotta say. Was pleasantly surprised.

Went to two of my local Thrift Stores since Goodwill sucks, usually. And Salvation Army is way overpriced in my.

One store had the entire store 50% off.
Picked up Dragonballfor $1.
Hit and Run for 3.50. Looked inside and it had the Simpsons Game too. Yay.

The other store always has a 50%off special on most things.

Got the FMA movie for 2.15. And as I was leaving, noticed a Vita game at the corner of my eye. No price, but the lady matched the gba games that were next to it. $5. And with the 50%off bonus, I got MMA vita for 2.50.

i got these for $1 each

these were $10 each. contra 4 was about $30 but i had $20 in credit from a return so i just count it as $10. i already have chibi robo but my other copy is sealed so now i can finally play the game.

Stuff that was on hold for me at a smaller thrift- games were $3 apiece, everything is complete except Ultimate Spiderman which is missing the booklet. Skylanders base and figures were $6

Went to GW on my lunch break today, someone obviously just dropped off a bunch of PS1 games. Sadly most were sports. I picked these up for $3 apiece, all complete.

Edit 8/15/16- after numerous deep buffs on my works cd buffer and some cleaning I got everything to work except Ford Racing 3. Winback skipped and the OG Xbox games wouldnt rip nicely to my modded Xbox so I took all the discs to work and cleaned them at least twice. They play fine now except the Xbox reads FR3 as an audio cd, it looks like the data layer is messed up in a few spots.

Stuff like this just pisses me off...really goodwill??? $2.50 for a case and manual? YOU ARE THROWING THEM AWAY ANYWAY. just give them out for free or charge a quarter or something...

Goodwill had 2 Wii U Pro Controllers CIB from Target for $25 each. I bought one, regretting not buying the 2nd one now. Might have to go back tomorrow. 

Thursday was really bad rummage wise so I hit up some goodwills.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic .99 PC

Age of Empires II Gold Edition 1.99 PC

WCW Nitro .99 PC

Age of Empires II The Conquerors Expansion .99 PC (it had a copy of Loopy Landscapes inside also)

Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 .99 PC

American Farmer .99 PC

Frogger 2 .99 PS1

[attachment=23345:20160820_185440.jpg]

A different Thrift Store I found these 3 Harry Potter Games. I know The Sorcerer's Stone is worth a bit so I grabbed all 3 as they were 1.89 each.

I did get 3 games at one rummage.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Xbox 1.00

Atari Anthology Xbox 1.00

Blitz The League 1.00

Also not game related, I grabbed these 2 at Half Price Books.

Temple of Elemental Evil 20.00

Basic Set Manual 5.00

[attachment=23346:20160820_185727.jpg][attachment=23347:20160820_185832.jpg]

Saturday was much better. I got this at Goodwill.

Age of Empires III 1.99 Mac (In perfect condition, complete and never used)

[attachment=23348:20160820_190303.jpg][attachment=23349:20160820_190114.jpg]

And my best pickup of the year so far.

Lord of the Rings Battle For Middle Earth II and The Rise of the Witch-King Expansion.

PC (Both Brand New, Sealed) Got them for free in a free box at a garage sale.

[attachment=23350:20160820_192158.jpg]

Thursday was really bad rummage wise so I hit up some goodwills.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic .99 PC

Age of Empires II Gold Edition 1.99 PC

WCW Nitro .99 PC

Age of Empires II The Conquerors Expansion .99 PC (it had a copy of Loopy Landscapes inside also)

Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 .99 PC

American Farmer .99 PC

Frogger 2 .99 PS1

20160820_185440.jpg

A different Thrift Store I found these 3 Harry Potter Games. I know The Sorcerer's Stone is worth a bit so I grabbed all 3 as they were 1.89 each.

I did get 3 games at one rummage.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Xbox 1.00

Atari Anthology Xbox 1.00

Blitz The League 1.00

Also not game related, I grabbed these 2 at Half Price Books.

Temple of Elemental Evil 20.00

Basic Set Manual 5.00

20160820_185727.jpg 20160820_185832.jpg

Saturday was much better. I got this at Goodwill.

Age of Empires III 1.99 Mac (In perfect condition, complete and never used)

20160820_190303.jpg 20160820_190114.jpg

And my best pickup of the year so far.

Lord of the Rings Battle For Middle Earth II and The Rise of the Witch-King Expansion.

PC (Both Brand New, Sealed) Got them for free in a free box at a garage sale.

20160820_192158.jpg
Those Lord of the Rings games are worth a ton...nice finds! Ironically I found Battle for Middle Earth II CE last year at a yard sale? Missing one disc, bought the missing disc off ebay for pretty cheap

Those Lord of the Rings games are worth a ton...nice finds! Ironically I found Battle for Middle Earth II CE last year at a yard sale? Missing one disc, bought the missing disc off ebay for pretty cheap
Yea, I was quite surprised that they fetch so much. The Age of Empires III Mac edition is pretty pricey as well.

Can anyone explain why some pc games pricey and how can u tell?
No idea...it seems some of the stuff in big box or stuff from a few years ago is worth some cash. Usually have to check ebay, sometimes check VGPC. $5 or less I usually take a chance if its complete. Burned me a few times though

They had a beatup asis RBI arcade game for $50 that im still kicking myself for leaving. Of course it was gone next day! I grabbed the Xbox with cables and controller for $25 since I have a stack of games that are copied to my modded Xbox. Had to to open everything up for a thorough cleaning. Analog sticks are still a little loose and I have to tap the Xbox for the drive to open but its really clean and seems to read games well.

Found this at GW for 2.50 just in time for boys night with my kids
3a77bd30ed6de97942d53c9792690543.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a few more PC games for cheap. Not worth a whole lot but I am probably keeping them for my collection anyways. This is the 1st Baldur's Gate game I have run into for the Mac. I will be selling that one probably because I don't have a Mac.

Dungeon Siege II PC 2.99

Baldur's Gate II Mac 3.99

Prisoner Of Ice PC .99

Oregon Trail 2 PC 1.99

Beyond Atlantis PC 1.99

[attachment=23458:20160827_224624.jpg]

Not video game related but I found this at a Salvation Army. It's never been played. It's nice and minty.

[attachment=23459:20160827_224742.jpg]

well I decided to swallow my pride and buy the inflated prices at my local thrift.

I got Chrono Trigger (SNES) for 41.99 and Secret of Mana (SNES) for 38.99. Neither are the 2.99 thrift prices I usually gobble up, but they are below Ebay/Craigslist etc. In fact, I believe Chrono Trigger is way below what it is going for now.

But man was it hard...

Went up to a local thrift store awhile back and got this (I might have mentioned about it before, but I've never posted a pic of the game itself):

[attachment=23485:tonyhawk.png]

Planning on selling it though as I don't have a Dreamcast, but it was a pretty nice find.

well I decided to swallow my pride and buy the inflated prices at my local thrift.

I got Chrono Trigger (SNES) for 41.99 and Secret of Mana (SNES) for 38.99. Neither are the 2.99 thrift prices I usually gobble up, but they are below Ebay/Craigslist etc. In fact, I believe Chrono Trigger is way below what it is going for now.

But man was it hard...
Damn, you got suckered. Why bother? I saw stuff like a $53 Super Mario 7 Stars SNES game, a $30 Harvest Moon Wonderful Life GBA game, a $50 Pokken Tournament game. If I cared enough, I'd tell them all to fuck off, but it's not worth it. Somebody will buy it and keep the leeches afloat.

But man was it hard...
that is a great deal on chrono trigger. it usually sells for over $100. sucks you still had to pay so much at a thrift store but i would of brought it too. i got mine for $50 but it came with the box.

Can anyone explain why some pc games pricey and how can u tell?
It's the same way why some SNES games are pricey. You could easily emulate any old video game but people still want the real thing.

With some of the expensive PC games it also has to do with the extras. Sierra and LucasArts games came with lots of bonuses and real life items - decoders, maps, fake brochures or newspapers for the in game world, audio cassettes (for the talkies), etc.

Got a few more PC games for cheap. Not worth a whole lot but I am probably keeping them for my collection anyways. This is the 1st Baldur's Gate game I have run into for the Mac. I will be selling that one probably because I don't have a Mac.

Dungeon Siege II PC 2.99

Baldur's Gate II Mac 3.99

Prisoner Of Ice PC .99

Oregon Trail 2 PC 1.99

Beyond Atlantis PC 1.99

attachicon.gif
20160827_224624.jpg

Not video game related but I found this at a Salvation Army. It's never been played. It's nice and minty.

attachicon.gif
20160827_224742.jpg
Still dont understand why purchase old pc games? Games are on Steam, game for Windows, what if its missing the booklet with the CD key? Wouldnt it be useless?

Does anyone know if the PC game like THe Punisher have xbox 360 controller support?

I don't think any of those games require any form of activation.  I doubt any have CD keys, maybe Dungeon Siege II and Baulder's Gate II, but in those cases it would only be checked if attempting to play online.

Most of those are just install from CD and play. 

But man was it hard...
Good find. As much as I dislike the inflated prices at GW, at least you helping out with giving jobs to the disable.

I recall finding $50 cash on the floor and got Secret of Mana day 1. Great game. Didnt finish playing Secret of Evermore......

that reminds me of when i would find cash on the floor. i would find $20,50 and even a $100 once and i would go buy a video game i been wanting or a new release. i even got money off of winning scratchers i found on the floor too.

Still dont understand why purchase old pc games? Games are on Steam, game for Windows, what if its missing the booklet with the CD key? Wouldnt it be useless?

Does anyone know if the PC game like THe Punisher have xbox 360 controller support?
some games can't be found on steam, gog, and other digital platforms. For some, you actually need the hard copy.

Pretty much useless you can find the key online or something.

To answer your question, I am older so I am kind of an old school collector and I like visible hard copies of my games. It's the same with people that collect comics or retro games or buy cds. You can get all that digitally now or with emulators but they just like the hard copies. Plus the stuff I pick up is rare and OOP and collectible at usually really good prices. At this time it is a really cheap hobby as most people at garage sales and the thrift stores price PC games really cheap. I have a post on I think the garage sale thread where I found a copy of Battle for Middle Earth II and it's expansion Rise of the Witch-King on PC brand new still in plastic in a free box. Since I already have copies of them I sold them for $180 on Ebay this week. So basically it's a fun, cheap and fairly profitable hobby for me.

Also the Cd keys are usually on the back of the jewel cases on older games or in the manuals in games like Neverwinter Nights. I have yet to buy a game without a Cd key but I know it's really easy to find them online if that would happen.

Hit up the Salvation Army today.

Picked up Midway Arcade Treasures Vol. 1 for $1.25 (after getting a new $4 yearly card which dropped it from $2.50 for the half off sale). Wasn't sure if I owned it or not, but after I saw the price I figured what the hell. Got home and it turned out I did ...I just had the original pressing with no mention of Vol. 1. My sister got Star Trek Encounters for the PS2 for $1.50 (wasn't part of the half price sale.)

...and an aside as it's not worth it's own thread, imo, as it's YMMV but I also stopped in at CVS and was browsing some 75% off end of summer stuff. They had two World of Nintendo figures (non-Amiibos, Series 1-4). Regularly $14.99 but on sale for $3.75. I got Tanooki Mario and my sister got Link. That's all they had but the back shows the rest of the series are Shy Guy, Fire Luigi and Gravity Suit Samus. Figured I'd share in case anyone wanted to try their luck.

My son did better than I did this morning at Sally's. Gun was $6. Refill bag was $0.50. He also found an extra disc on the shelf, so he threw it in the box.

[attachment=23547:image.jpeg]

Edit: Found Iceberg Slim's novel "Death Wish: A Story of the Mafia" for $1 at GW.

Picked up:
Time Crisis 3 (complete) $6
Zelda VHS Tape $1
PC LOTR The Battle for Middle-Earth Part 1 & 2 (Going to return them for store credit - Part 2 is missing CD key, and the discs for both games have a lot of light scratches) $2 each

Other stuffs that I did not buy:
Adanvced Dungeons & Dragons Eye of hte Beholder Trilogy $6
Wii U Pro Controller $15
Minecraft Wii U Game $15
Quake II Big Box (sealed on both ends, but missing plastic shrink wrapper) $6
Metal Gear Acid PSP $5
Fat PS3 (with wires/1 controller/tv remote) $50 

MAObiuh.jpg
'

8hnMCSf.jpg
mPbp4pU.jpg
7co0Uj5.jpg
VFw4NOS.jpg
rfogTnL.jpg
dgsfcjJ.jpg
V7KQ4ZE.jpg

I might be wrong, but that Quake II might not have had shrink wrap.

I have a lot of computer game boxes that were just sealed with those type of stickers.

Not much to report but I did pick up a heavy sixer for 18 bucks console only at my local goodwill.

I have never bought Atari stuff and passed on SO many lots, but it's the first time I found a heavy sixer so I decided to grab it.

Picked up:
Time Crisis 3 (complete) $6
Zelda VHS Tape $1
PC LOTR The Battle for Middle-Earth Part 1 & 2 (Going to return them for store credit - Part 2 is missing CD key, and the discs for both games have a lot of light scratches) $2 each

Other stuffs that I did not buy:
Adanvced Dungeons & Dragons Eye of hte Beholder Trilogy $6
Wii U Pro Controller $15
Minecraft Wii U Game $15
Quake II Big Box (sealed on both ends, but missing plastic shrink wrapper) $6
Metal Gear Acid PSP $5
Fat PS3 (with wires/1 controller/tv remote) $50

MAObiuh.jpg
'

8hnMCSf.jpg
mPbp4pU.jpg
7co0Uj5.jpg
VFw4NOS.jpg
rfogTnL.jpg
dgsfcjJ.jpg
V7KQ4ZE.jpg
Ill take minecraft wii u for 15 lol

$3 @ GW. Still had part of the seal label on it. Doesnt look like it was ever played. Knowing the local GW those idiots probably opened up a sealed game.

Found an awesome Bubba Ho-Tep book with the short story and screenplay for $1. Also picked up the Kate Nash Foundations EP CD for $0.50 and the John Denver/Muppets Christmas CD for $0.25.

Had some errands to run and one was close to half price books so I just grabbed 5 games out of the clearance section.

[attachment=23661:20160913_200330.jpg]

Breakout IV Atari 2600 $1

Superman Atari 2600 $1

Donkey Kong Jr. Atari 2600 $1

Frogger Atari 2600 $1

Super Action Football Colecovision $1

I hit a Goodwill by the other errand and I got 3 games in the regular game area.

[attachment=23662:20160913_200600.jpg]

My Fitness Coach Wii $2.99 (Brand New, Sealed)

The Oregon Trail PC .99

Harry Potter/ Azkaban PC 1.99

Then in the glass case I see 5 Sega Saturn games. They are pricey so I decide to buy 2 of them.

[attachment=23663:20160913_200821.jpg]

Nights Into Dreams Saturn $19.99

Shining Force III Saturn $150.00 (Brand New, Sealed)

After spending that much which is probably the most I have ever spent at Goodwill at one time I sat in my car thinking about my chances of ever running into the remaining games in the wild. I decided to go grab one more.

[attachment=23664:20160913_201147.jpg]

Albert Odyssey Saturn $99.99 (Complete, Mint Disc)

We have 1 retro gaming store that I know of in my city and the guy that runs it pulls up as I am leaving with Albert Odyssey (My second time going back in) and he says you grabbed Shining Force didn't you. I said yea. Someone called him and took pictures letting him know what was there but they didn't have the cash to grab them. He's cool so he was like I am glad you grabbed them. I told him I left him Dragon Force which he did indeed buy. It was $99.99 also. The last game was Sonic 3D Blast for $25 which we both passed on. 

Had some errands to run and one was close to half price books so I just grabbed 5 games out of the clearance section.

20160913_200330.jpg

Breakout IV Atari 2600 $1

Superman Atari 2600 $1

Donkey Kong Jr. Atari 2600 $1

Frogger Atari 2600 $1

Super Action Football Colecovision $1

I hit a Goodwill by the other errand and I got 3 games in the regular game area.

20160913_200600.jpg

My Fitness Coach Wii $2.99 (Brand New, Sealed)

The Oregon Trail PC .99

Harry Potter/ Azkaban PC 1.99

Then in the glass case I see 5 Sega Saturn games. They are pricey so I decide to buy 2 of them.

20160913_200821.jpg

Nights Into Dreams Saturn $19.99

Shining Force III Saturn $150.00 (Brand New, Sealed)

After spending that much which is probably the most I have ever spent at Goodwill at one time I sat in my car thinking about my chances of ever running into the remaining games in the wild. I decided to go grab one more.

20160913_201147.jpg

Albert Odyssey Saturn $99.99 (Complete, Mint Disc)

We have 1 retro gaming store that I know of in my city and the guy that runs it pulls up as I am leaving with Albert Odyssey (My second time going back in) and he says you grabbed Shining Force didn't you. I said yea. Someone called him and took pictures letting him know what was there but they didn't have the cash to grab them. He's cool so he was like I am glad you grabbed them. I told him I left him Dragon Force which he did indeed buy. It was $99.99 also. The last game was Sonic 3D Blast for $25 which we both passed on.
yeaaaa its stuff like this that is now the norm...I would have 100% for sure grabbed both (and probably have been tempted to grab dragon force too)...its just a bummer because you just know 4 years ago those would have all been 2.99 at the same store lol.

However, you did get a way better deal than ebay; especially on the SEALED shining force. Great score!

Similar situation yesterday...some guy at my local thrift grabbed a Sega Saturn with 2 controllers for 79.99 and a Sega Nomad for 49.99.

they arn't horrible prices, but ugh its just so hard to pay them. I passed on both at those prices.

bread's done
Back