2016 Thrift Store Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

Goodwill's such a piece of shit now. Those games could have all easily been $20 and they would still have made money. But now those motherfuckers who run the stores can find out the price of any game with the touch of a button. I would have not bought any of them just out of spite, value and rarity be damned.

$150!? Shit, it's like they forgot they were GOODWILL. I wouldn't have bought Shining Force III for that price regardless, but come the hell on!

Goodwill's such a piece of shit now. Those games could have all easily been $20 and they would still have made money. But now those motherfuckers who run the stores can find out the price of any game with the touch of a button. I would have not bought any of them just out of spite, value and rarity be damned.
The only person that loses there is you, though. Someone else will pay it and Goodwill still gets the sale, so your spite unfortunately does nothing to them. It sucks that we live in a time where any dope with a smart phone can place a value on something (often an inflated one). My Goodwill is awful, whomever their pricer is now puts all video games starting at $6.97 and then goes higher as they see fit. Some stuff sits there for months and a good bit of it moves. Stupid people paying $6.97 for Madden 10 and the like. No wonder they price like that, people pay it. I regularly see Goodwill stuff priced higher than the Target clearance prices...and I just think, "You got this stuff for free." I mean, I get that they create jobs for disadvantaged people but do they really need to price that way? Wouldn't they get more customers if they actually had bargains? Most thrift shops I see are just retail stores for the most part.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only person that loses there is you, though. Someone else will pay it and Goodwill still gets the sale, so your spite unfortunately does nothing to them. It sucks that we live in a time where any dope with a smart phone can place a value on something (often an inflated one). My Goodwill is awful, whomever their pricer is now puts all video games starting at $6.97 and then goes higher as they see fit. Some stuff sits there for months and a good bit of it moves. Stupid people paying $6.97 for Madden 10 and the like. No wonder they price like that, people pay it. I regularly see Goodwill stuff priced higher than the Target clearance prices...and I just think, "You got this stuff for free." I mean, I get that they create jobs for disadvantaged people but do they really need to price that way? Wouldn't they get more customers if they actually had bargains? Most thrift shops I see are just retail stores for the most part.
one of the main problems is, as you mention, you have some regular soccer moms and resellers who don't know what they are doing that buy the over priced games like madden 2007 for 5.99, and unfortunately all this does is encourage the thrift shops to keep pricing that stuff high.

Picked these up for $4/$5 apiece at some store that calls itself "Flea Market". Its pretty much a small thrift store that rents sections to people and those people can decorate/sell stuff in that area. One booth had some Mario KNEX sets, other games, and about 40 Xbox/PS/PS2/Gamecube/DS/PC games. $5 is pretty much what each goes for so no hidden treasures. Everything is complete except the disc only WaveRace Blue Storm.

Found a store I've never been to on the way home from a meeting today. Was going to just keep driving but glad I went in.
Console games are $4.99 and pc/cd games are $0.10
Ended up with
Doom 2 pc
Half life pc
Deadly creatures wii
Legend of Spyro the eternal night wii
Ultra bust a move xbox
Metroid prime 3 wii
Dragon quest swords wii
Halo 4 steel book
Halo reach
And a Lego set my son apparently has been desperate for. It's a complete original mindstorms set in original box. Everything except the original cd was there

Didn't buy anything that I want the last couple days thrfiting, but here is some things that I saw:

Dance Dance Revolution Bundle PS3 w/ Mat & Game Inside ($15)
Life is Strange Xbox One $15
Wii U & Wii Games $10-$40 each (Wanted Mario Kart 8 Wii U, but it was marked @ $40)
Complete Wii System w/ Accessories & Box (Why is it price at $200?)
GTA 5 360 $6
Fat PS3 w/ 2 Controllers $75
PS3 Super Slim w/ No Controllers $50

eX4BHQv.jpg

elRMyoy.jpg
tQageiJ.jpg
4eKErcg.jpg
Cy7WJKB.jpg
kjCJADg.jpg

Stopped by my local goodwill and found a brand new sealed copy of megaman starforce pegasus for the ds. Paid $5 for it. Pretty happy with the find as I never got around to playing this when it was new. Any idea why the price is so high for new copies of this on amazon or ebay?

Didn't buy anything that I want the last couple days thrfiting, but here is some things that I saw:

Dance Dance Revolution Bundle PS3 w/ Mat & Game Inside ($15)
Life is Strange Xbox One $15
Wii U & Wii Games $10-$40 each (Wanted Mario Kart 8 Wii U, but it was marked @ $40)
Complete Wii System w/ Accessories & Box (Why is it price at $200?)
GTA 5 360 $6
Fat PS3 w/ 2 Controllers $75
PS3 Super Slim w/ No Controllers $50

eX4BHQv.jpg

elRMyoy.jpg
tQageiJ.jpg
4eKErcg.jpg
Cy7WJKB.jpg
kjCJADg.jpg
lol. $200 for a wii? This sounds like what my GW does. The only thing good I found so far was a Game of Thrones Season 1 Blu Ray for $5.

Stopped by my local goodwill and found a brand new sealed copy of megaman starforce pegasus for the ds. Paid $5 for it. Pretty happy with the find as I never got around to playing this when it was new. Any idea why the price is so high for new copies of this on amazon or ebay?
Not sure. Maybe because Megaman or overpriced like most games. I recall getting some cheap games like 2 years ago $.99-$.2.99 and now they asking for $10.

Yep. They're trying to screw people over. Wii's aren't worth anywhere near that now.
Yea, I got mine at Half Price Books for $44.95 which was mint and came with Wii Sports which I already had a copy of so I sold that one for $17 on Ebay so for basically a Brand New Wii I ended up paying about $27.

Needed a break from work, so I visited the local GW during my lunch break. Picked up Kidz Bop 3-6 and Kidz Bop Classics for my 8-year old for $1.31 total. They're in surprisingly good condition for 10+ year old children's CDs.

For some reason, they price media at 4/$0.99 -- not like I'm complaining. Lol. He is going to go nuts when he sees them.

Blue Wii with cords (no wiimote) - $16.99  at the Goodwill Outlet. Works great, can't believe it was priced at 16.99. They usually over price the lock case items at the outlet.

over the last week:

a Genesis model 1 with Master System Power Base Converter, 4 player adapter, 2 controllers and cords $40

Master System: 

Shinobi 7.50 (complete)

Transbot 2.99 (complete)

Ninja 4.99 (complete)

Marksman Combo Cart 3.99 (complete)

NES:

a 10 game official nintendo leather cart holder (free/included)

Strider 6.99

Back to the Future 2+3 4.99

3d Worldrunner? (never heard of it) 3.99

Ducktales 17.99 (why did I buy at this price...I blacked out...)

GBA / GB:

Pokemon Ruby 2.99

Kwirk 1.99

Advance Wars 1.99

King of Fighters EX 1.99

Alice in wonderland 1.99

n64:

razer blockbuster exclusive 4.99 (idk...)

Ridge Racer 64 1.99

re-volt 1.99

WWF No mercy .49 (recently heard this was good!)

Been meaning to post this for a couple months now.  Went to goodwill on my lunch and found all these behind the glass.  Since I was on my lunch I didnt have much time to decide so I bought pretty much everything there(somehow zoop got in my stack...ugh).  All the PS2/PSX Genesis games are complete except a couple have the cover of the manual torn off because they were rentals at blockbuster. 

This goodwill always way over prices games(or anything behind the glass for that matter) so I dont know what got into them this day.  This goodwill closed last month so no hope for a repeat :whistle2:(

[attachment=23750:IMG_2688.JPG][attachment=23751:IMG_2689.JPG][attachment=23752:IMG_2690.JPG][attachment=23753:IMG_2691.JPG][attachment=23754:IMG_2692.JPG]

Every game was $3.  I was most excited about that stupid McDonalds game that I wanted in my collection but would never pay for it.

..........nothing like that will probably ever be put out around here again sadly. The local stores are so into ShopGoodwill now its almost not worth going for game stuff. Theyll have open Target returned 360-current gen games in the case and maybe some PS1,PS2, Wii, PC games in the media section but thats it! 2 GWs even bumped up controllers to $6 apiece from $3 if theyre official brands.

..........nothing like that will probably ever be put out around here again sadly. The local stores are so into ShopGoodwill now its almost not worth going for game stuff. Theyll have open Target returned 360-current gen games in the case and maybe some PS1,PS2, Wii, PC games in the media section but thats it! 2 GWs even bumped up controllers to $6 apiece from $3 if theyre official brands.
That sucks. Especially if the controllers don't work.

That sucks. Especially if the controllers don't work.
I usually pay $5 for each of my controllers unless they are current gen but the store i get them from will let me return them if they don't

work.

Here are my crappy pick ups for the last week and 1/2 or so. Yard sales are a waste of time this late it seems. No games or much of anything to be found unless you want women's and girls clothes. Well I hit up a few Goodwills and 1/2 Price Books and got a couple of ok deals. Most of the stickers are still on them but I will give a rundown of them anyways.The Knight Rider and Bo Jackson games are complete and whoever had them either didn't play them or really took care of them as the labels are perfect and the cartridges are really nice and the game boards are both a nice pearly white. I left behind complete in box Bases Loaded I and II for 5.99 each. I know alot of people don't care about retro pc gaming but for .99 a pop I am building a huge library and alot of the stuff I buy can resell for a nice hefty profit.

[attachment=23785:20160928_191129.jpg [attachment=23786:20160928_191322.jpg]

[attachment=23787:20160928_191412.jpg]

Street 3 PS2 $2.00

Olympic Summer Games PS1 .99

Wii Sports Wii $2.00

GTA Collector's Edition PS1 $9.99

Knight Rider NES $7.99 CIB

Bo Jackson Baseball NES $5.99 CIB

Command & Conquer: The Covert Ops PC .99

Hitman Codename 47 PC .99

Wolfenstein 3d PC .99

Final Doom PC .99

Tron 2.0 PC 2.99

Heroes of Might and Magic IV PC .99

CivCity Rome (Sealed) PC .99

Dune 2000 PC .99

Red Ace Squadron PC .99

Need for Speed: High Stakes PC .99

Lucked out yesterday at Salvation Army and picked up Flight Simulator X Gold Edition with discs, paperwork, and keys for $3. I called Microsoft to verify the keys and they told me that since I didn't originally purchase it, they could not verify the keys. I'll call back tonight and see if I get someone who can verify them for me.

Hello student loan payment :)

Wasn't looking for anything of the sort today, but I ended up lugging this out of the local Goodwill.

w5tDfV1.jpg

Box was beat to shit and water-damaged, and tagged as 'Final' and 'May be missing pieces', but I figured at $5 it was worth the risk. The good news is that green-tagged furniture was apparently 25% off, so I walked out at under $4, even with tax. The bad news is that all the parts are included and in good condition - except for the bag of screws, which is completely missing. Of the three types I need (plus some nuts), the instruction sheet only lists dimensions for one, and according to both Google and Walmart this desk never existed in the first place. Looking forward to a fun trip to the hardware store this weekend...

Found this at goodwill =) i had a feeling i would find something so went to look again and behold this beauty. Everyone is wanting games ill take anything especially book holders and frame posters

c0b07111440f2259459f8689841c65ae.jpg

$32, not amazing but everything was very clean and Wii Sports was inside. No Virtual Console games save to it though. Ive been wanting a red one.

Bought:
Metal Gear Solid Tshirt - $3
Kingdom Hearts 2 - $3
Xbox 360 PC Wired Controller - $5 (Works on a Windows 7, but having issues getting it to work on a Windows 10)
Like New Sony Playstation 2 Logitech Driving Force Pro - $15 (Just tested it and works great for PC Dirt 3/Grid. Just had to download/install the Windows 10 driver. I'm going to test it for PC Forza Horizon 3 later tonight.)

Saw:
Mario Kart 64 = $50
Super Smash Bros = $50
Super Mario 64 = $50

ZESEAUr.jpg

NXHScOJ.jpg
5RqO7lo.jpg

JsPn6r8.jpg

Bought:
Metal Gear Solid Tshirt - $3
Kingdom Hearts 2 - $3
Xbox 360 PC Wired Controller - $5 (Works on a Windows 7, but having issues getting it to work on a Windows 10)
Like New Sony Playstation 2 Logitech Driving Force Pro - $15 (Just tested it and works great for PC Dirt 3/Grid. Just had to download/install the Windows 10 driver. I'm going to test it for PC Forza Horizon 3 later tonight.)

Saw:
Mario Kart 64 = $50
Super Smash Bros = $50
Super Mario 64 = $50

ZESEAUr.jpg

NXHScOJ.jpg
5RqO7lo.jpg

JsPn6r8.jpg
Does the racing wheel work on all pc racing games?

Wasn't looking for anything of the sort today, but I ended up lugging this out of the local Goodwill.

w5tDfV1.jpg

Box was beat to shit and water-damaged, and tagged as 'Final' and 'May be missing pieces', but I figured at $5 it was worth the risk. The good news is that green-tagged furniture was apparently 25% off, so I walked out at under $4, even with tax. The bad news is that all the parts are included and in good condition - except for the bag of screws, which is completely missing. Of the three types I need (plus some nuts), the instruction sheet only lists dimensions for one, and according to both Google and Walmart this desk never existed in the first place. Looking forward to a fun trip to the hardware store this weekend...
I think that was target or kmart brand back then? Just got a Good to Go cherry desk for $20 at Kmart with 20% off coupon. Both priced at $24.99 (Sauder sold out and they both look the same. Both made in the USA. The Good to Go brand is made by Ameriwood, Inc.)

Also pick up a Chockin art japanese vase, a Its a small world music box, and a CN Sound leather case with a TI-85. All about $10.

Not sure why a TI-85 was in that CN sound case. The CN sound case had a new hearing aid battery?

Does the racing wheel work on all pc racing games?
Here is a list of video games compatible with Logitech's: GT Force, Driving Force, Driving Force Pro, Driving Force GT, G29, G25, G27.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Logitech_Racing_Wheels_compatible_games

Just tested with Horizon 3 and it doesn't work. Looks like Turn10 didn't add support for this wheel :(

At the moment, the list of currently supported PC wheels for Forza Horizon 3:

Thrustmaster T150
Thrustmaster T500 RS
Thrustmaster TMX V1
Thrustmaster TMX V2
Thrustmaster T300RS
Thrustmaster TX
Thrustmaster RGT
Logitech MOMO Force Feedback Racing Wheel
Logitech G920
Logitech G929
Logitech G25
Logitech G27

i finally got some video games its been a while since i picked anything up. i got these for $5 each donkey konga is nib. platypus is a claymation shooter. had no idea this existed.

these were a dollar each. metal gear acid 2 is nib but it has a small tear on the seal on the back.

dont know where a good place to put this is so i'll just post it here. went out yesterday and i found nothing to buy. one of the last stops was this bookoff. i know they tend to price stuff at ebay prices but they are getting ridiculous with these prices. these are all used copies i could go on ebay and get nib copies for the same or for less

I traded some Dreamcast, DS and PS2 games for these.

[attachment=23868:20161002_184656.jpg]

RE2 and RE3 for PS1

Hexen and Legend of Dragoon (Both Sealed)

I got these for $3 apiece.

[attachment=23869:20161002_183408.jpg]

Tiger Woods 14 Xbox 360

Mario Party 8 Wii

Xenoblade Chronicles Wii

And these for $30 total

[attachment=23870:20161002_183024.jpg][attachment=23871:20161002_183212.jpg]

Dig Dug, Pole Position and Q*Bert Atari 5200

Mutant League Hockey

[attachment=23872:20161002_183500.jpg][attachment=23873:20160930_153849.jpg]

Oblivion Collector's Edition PC 2.99

A weird Etch A Sketch thing 1.99

An even weirder Sega thing $1

Super Monkey Ball Jr Free

dont know where a good place to put this is so i'll just post it here. went out yesterday and i found nothing to buy. one of the last stops was this bookoff. i know they tend to price stuff at ebay prices but they are getting ridiculous with these prices. these are all used copies i could go on ebay and get nib copies for the same or for less
Are those the prices on the sticker? Like $115 for LA Noire and then 100 for Fear Effect and Jet Set Radio? How does that make any sense.

Book Off is better off not listing the Original Price when charging a stupid amount for the game in question. 

Ex. List Pice: 1.99

Our Price: 199.99

You'll be pretty much going  :wall:  :wall:

i should of taken a picture but i few months ago they put out a DVD with a price tag of $100000. i also have seen a ps1 final fantasy a while back i think it was IX for $999999. they were obvious mistakes but they still put them out. next time it happens i'll make sure to take a picture. i don't even tell them there prices are ridiculous for some items so that way other customers will see them and just walk the other way so i might find something they messed up on like that rule of rose i got for $20.

Book Off is better off not listing the Original Price when charging a stupid amount for the game in question.

Ex. List Pice: 1.99

Our Price: 199.99

You'll be pretty much going :wall: :wall:
bookoff is so odd they can have an item with a list price over $200 and sell it for $1. it is fun going into the store, half the time am in there i am just shaking my head laughing. they do have deals at times but you need to have a good idea of what the prices should be and be there at the right time.

Are those the prices on the sticker? Like $115 for LA Noire and then 100 for Fear Effect and Jet Set Radio? How does that make any sense.
it doesn't make sense. they try to be a retail store but they have no clue about video games or any of the other stuff they sell. their own employees are shocked at the prices at times but it is the employees who are pricing them. they use to have a set price of $5 for everything ps2 and older and i would go wipe them out any time they got new inventory.

Had a nice find at Salvation Army last week. Picked up Microsoft Flight Simulator X Gold Edition for $3. After review, it's worth quite a bit it seems.

My friend's younger brother used to work for Bookoff (Lakewood Mall). He told me back then they used GameStop to price all of their games. My biggest find at bookoff was a copy of Haunting Grounds and Jurassic Park Operation Genesis for $20 each and 3 copies of sealed GameCube Action Replay for $10 each. I stopped going every since they started selling baby strollers lol.

i think they are using eBay now but they are looking at the listings from high to low instead of what they actually sell for. i should ask next time what they would give for those games since i think they give about 40 percent of the value so if that's true they may be giving $40 for games worth only 30.

My friend's younger brother used to work for Bookoff (Lakewood Mall). He told me back then they used GameStop to price all of their games. My biggest find at bookoff was a copy of Haunting Grounds and Jurassic Park Operation Genesis for $20 each and 3 copies of sealed GameCube Action Replay for $10 each. I stopped going every since they started selling baby strollers lol.

I couldn't believe it, I never find anything good at goodwill but I got Super Smash Bros Melee, Mario Power Tennis, and Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix for $9. All complete and hardly any scratches.

I couldn't believe it, I never find anything good at goodwill but I got Super Smash Bros Melee, Mario Power Tennis, and Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix for $9. All complete and hardly any scratches.
That is awesome. I was at the point of just giving up going to Goodwill a few months back and then one day I was driving by one and said screw it, may as well go in and sitting on top of their DVD shelves are 7 complete Dreamcast games (Good stuff like Seaman and Crazy Taxi, no sports titles) and 2 Final Fantasy PS1 titles for $1.99 each. A few months before that I was ready to stop going in there and then I decide what the hell and find 7 CD-i titles all complete and mint. 6 commons and Hotel Mario for .99 each. It's like they know when I am fed up with their crappy PS2 sports titles for $2.99 each and overpriced crap in the cage, and decide to throw me a bone so I keep coming in.

That is awesome. I was at the point of just giving up going to Goodwill a few months back and then one day I was driving by one and said screw it, may as well go in and sitting on top of their DVD shelves are 7 complete Dreamcast games (Good stuff like Seaman and Crazy Taxi, no sports titles) and 2 Final Fantasy PS1 titles for $1.99 each. A few months before that I was ready to stop going in there and then I decide what the hell and find 7 CD-i titles all complete and mint. 6 commons and Hotel Mario for .99 each. It's like they know when I am fed up with their crappy PS2 sports titles for $2.99 each and overpriced crap in the cage, and decide to throw me a bone so I keep coming in.

bread's done
Back