2017 Thrift Store Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

RockBand Wii bundle-$25 @ Goodwill. Probably wouldve been cheaper had they not bundled it all together (assuming game, drums, guitar wouldve been $4 apiece separate). Oh well, everything is very clean and works great. Plus I got the wireless dongle which is $15+ by itself on Ebay and for once the drumsticks were included!

Saw this sitting by the furniture stuff, walked around the store, then came back to it. For $10 it was coming home with me! Its a Vendstar 3000. I took it all apart and cleaned everything (there was melted gumballs clogging up one canister). Everything works great! Only downside is there are no locks for the top lid and back door but thats okay if its just sitting in the mancave. The damn candy actually cost more than the machine!

Not exactly a thrift store find but this guy needed some money to pay for bills and I went ahead and got these for $385

Yfj1UPW.jpg

TtW9yUq.jpg

JGhHr8L.jpg

nglxYeA.jpg

Opd5JvU.jpg

Parappa is shrinkwrapped and I'm planning on selling that but I'm not sure if I should open it or not.

Do not open parappa. Everything is worth more sealed. You can pick up a used copy much cheaper. I don't have my parappas listed right now, but the prices are still pretty high on amazon. Here are some of my sealed PS1 games. I wish I didn't sell my other FFVII (15 copies I bought for $5 each) and SOTN (9 copies I bought for $10 each) games, but oh well. I did get another sealed SOTN for free a year or two ago from a FB listing with a ps1 lot, so I can't complain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thr thing is, is that its not factory sealed. Just shrinkwrapped.  It doesn't have the white strip on the top. I want to sell it to get my money back so what condition would I list it in?

Do not open parappa. Everything is worth more sealed. You can pick up a used copy much cheaper. I don't have my parappas listed right now, but the prices are still pretty high on amazon. Here are some of my sealed PS1 games. I wish I didn't sell my other FFVII (15 copies I bought for $5 each) and SOTN (9 copies I bought for $10 each) games, but oh well. I did get another sealed SOTN for free a year or two ago from a FB listing with a ps1 lot, so I can't complain.

WOW! I remembered I found a box of Sonic Adventure Dreamcast Games (all factory sealed. Half of them had cracked case) at Goodwill. There was 22 of them in total. I only bought 3 copies for $5.99 each, but now I wished I bought all of them.

Found me several PS2 JRPG games today for $5.99 each. All complete. Discs are near perfect.

d53798275f.jpg

Thr thing is, is that its not factory sealed. Just shrinkwrapped. It doesn't have the white strip on the top. I want to sell it to get my money back so what condition would I list it in?
I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I know there are people that would try to sell that as new, but I would sell it as used to avoid problems. There is a "scanner" guy around here that re-shrinks everything he sells. I'm not sure is amazon is still plagued with people listing opened items as new, but for years there would be at least 5 listings under the new section that said "new, opened" or something like that.

I think spooge reads this thread, he may have a better and more current opinion. :)

WOW! I remembered I found a box of Sonic Adventure Dreamcast Games (all factory sealed. Half of them had cracked case) at Goodwill. There was 22 of them in total. I only bought 3 copies for $5.99 each, but now I wished I bought all of them.
I had a moment like that too. Target had a coupon that was $5/$25 toys, but it also worked on video games. Instead of buying 11 copies of paper mario on GC, I bought 11 copies of GTA liberty city stories on ps2 as filler. DOH!

I was buying the Order 66 target exclusive star wars guys and I think $5 of every transaction I did a video game to keep it as close to $25 as possible. I think there were target exclusive HISS tanks at that time too that I was buying.

As far as those sealed ps1 games go. I was a SONY card holder way way back in the day. I thought the FFVII were an off listing, so I ordered one for 500 points and once it arrived, I cashed out the rest of my points! The same thing happened with parappa and medevil, but they may have been 1000 points ($10) each. The SOTN were from a grocery store that was closing. They had Ps1 games in a square blister pack with a green background. Normally you would see things like die hard trilogy and other greatest hits, but this store had SOTN. I think they were 10.19 or something like that on clearance.

EDIT: Great PS2 RPG finds!

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I know there are people that would try to sell that as new, but I would sell it as used to avoid problems. There is a "scanner" guy around here that re-shrinks everything he sells. I'm not sure is amazon is still plagued with people listing opened items as new, but for years there would be at least 5 listings under the new section that said "new, opened" or something like that.

I think spooge reads this thread, he may have a better and more current opinion. :)

I had a moment like that too. Target had a coupon that was $5/$25 toys, but it also worked on video games. Instead of buying 11 copies of paper mario on GC, I bought 11 copies of GTA liberty city stories on ps2 as filler. DOH!

I was buying the Order 66 target exclusive star wars guys and I think $5 of every transaction I did a video game to keep it as close to $25 as possible. I think there were target exclusive HISS tanks at that time too that I was buying.

As far as those sealed ps1 games go. I was a SONY card holder way way back in the day. I thought the FFVII were an off listing, so I ordered one for 500 points and once it arrived, I cashed out the rest of my points! The same thing happened with parappa and medevil, but they may have been 1000 points ($10) each. The SOTN were from a grocery store that was closing. They had Ps1 games in a square blister pack with a green background. Normally you would see things like die hard trilogy and other greatest hits, but this store had SOTN. I think they were 10.19 or something like that on clearance.

EDIT: Great PS2 RPG finds!
Ahem, those are zeros in my name, I'm not some sort of freak, ya know. ;)

But yeah, I'd tread carefully with that one. If Parappa is clearly a reseal, then yes, I would just open it to verify that the disc is actually in there. If you sell it sealed and it turns out to be empty (or the buyer claims it is), then the blame and responsibility falls on you, since you have no proof otherwise.

I really don't sell on Amazon anymore and actually went back to working full-time. I have a few hundred listings (down from the thousands I used to have), and something usually sells every few days. It just got to be too competitive, with other sellers driving prices down and local people becoming competition (along with Goodwill getting greedy and raising prices and cherry picking anything good for shopgoodwill)

Not candy machine cool but $8 for a perfectly working wireless 360 guitar and a DualShock 2 that looks like it was never used is fine with me.

Not exactly a thrift store find but this guy needed some money to pay for bills and I went ahead and got these for $385

Yfj1UPW.jpg

TtW9yUq.jpg

JGhHr8L.jpg

nglxYeA.jpg

Opd5JvU.jpg

Parappa is shrinkwrapped and I'm planning on selling that but I'm not sure if I should open it or not.
Nice finds! :)

Found me several PS2 JRPG games today for $5.99 each. All complete. Discs are near perfect.

d53798275f.jpg
Nice! Good deal on Dark Cloud (if that's what it is).

New finds from the last few weeks:

• :gc: Kirby Air Ride (complete but very scratched) - $5
  • :wii: Super Smash Bros Brawl (missing manual) - $6
  • :ps2: Shifters (complete but beat up) - $3
  • :gc: Metroid Prime (complete) - $8
  • (PC) Baldur's Gate II Shadows of Amn (complete) - $2
Also saw sealed copies of Mario Party DS and Mario vs Donkey Kong for $20 each but passed on them.

yesterday checked out savers / half price books

half price books:
- mario maker 3ds 19.99 (its not a thrift store price, but thats because half price books isn't technically a thrift store.) dont think this has reached this price point, so snagged it.

savers:

- Hot Shots Golf Out of Bounds ps3 2.99

- Lego Batman Ps3 2.99

- Grand Theft Auto 2 PSX 2.99

- a Playstation 1 (gray original version) 5.99

now then the cool bonus:

The PS1 had an US copy of Brave Fencer Musashi in it. (man this game is up to 40 bucks now...) BUT it was a Japanese model. Thought that was strange as normally it couldnt play other regions. Also noticed a strange sticker over one of the screws. I had my suspicions over why things were this way, so I bought it, took it home and yup! Its modded. Tried a burned copy of Parasite Eve 2 and it booted up no prob. Im not really into burned games / piracy (especially since I have pretty much every PSX game I would ever want to play) but I thought this was a neat little bonus since I never owned a modded PS1 before. Also MAN would I have loved to have one of these things when I was a kid with no money hahaha. 

This was fun!

colecovision%202017_zpsu9pr1mrz.png

I found this bad boy at a thrift/pawn in Huachuca City. It was just sitting out in plain sight, waiting for the first person through the door to snatch it up (that's me!). The people running the store didn't seem terribly happy about it, though...

Me: "So, I didn't notice a price on this..."

Manager: "Uh, did he just drop this off without pricing this?"

Assistant: "Are you kidding me? This was supposed to go in the auction room to sell on eBay!"

Manager: "I hate when he does this! We could have gotten a lot more for this if he had been paying attention!"

Me, getting a little nervous: "So, did you have a price in mind? I couldn't find the power supply..."

Manager: "Mmph. How about twenty bucks?"

Me, not wanting to press my luck: "Yeah, that'll work."

As I walked out the door, the assistant, who walked out to have a stress cigarette, called out to me. "You should be happy. You got a steal today..." You know what? I think I am!

Had a pretty neat find tonight. Decided to drop in at GW at the last minute as I was driving past and I'm glad I did. Not game stuff, but came away with a Bose SoundDock Series II (in box with remote) for 14.99.

Brought it home and this thing is amazing, well worth the price. It's the 30 pin version, but fortunately I have my iPod nano that I got at a yard sale for $1.

8755c94798b9c5d5151a522b0a59b9ab.jpg

Star Wars The Complete Saga Bluray 9-Disc Set for $15 and Dino Defender Jurassic Park III Big Box for $3 today.

cff92b1931.jpg

Another score from a new thrift in the area. Got all this for $2.25 total.

[attachment=25808:IMG_6879.JPG]

All four are complete, but the PS1 games have broken cases.

Had a pretty neat find tonight. Decided to drop in at GW at the last minute as I was driving past and I'm glad I did. Not game stuff, but came away with a Bose SoundDock Series II (in box with remote) for 14.99.

Brought it home and this thing is amazing, well worth the price. It's the 30 pin version, but fortunately I have my iPod nano that I got at a yard sale for $1.

8755c94798b9c5d5151a522b0a59b9ab.jpg
This brought painful memories. Back in my college days (2007), I would buy several of these up (same brand) at Target on clearance for $150 with tax (retail for $300) and flip these on craigslist for $250 cash. It was easy and quick profit for me which went toward my books. One day I had a college professor from my school emailed me (He was using an .edu email) about the speakers and looking to buy two of them (one for his office and home) for $460 cash. Long story short. I got burnt (my fault for not counting the money). He only gave me $360.

This brought painful memories. Back in my college days (2007), I would buy several of these up (same brand) at Target on clearance for $150 with tax (retail for $300) and flip these on craigslist for $250 cash. It was easy and quick profit for me which went toward my books. One day I had a college professor from my school emailed me (He was using an .edu email) about the speakers and looking to buy two of them (one for his office and home) for $460 cash. Long story short. I got burnt (my fault for not counting the money). He only gave me $360.
Did you bring it up to him that he shorted you?

Did he respond: "I just gave you a free class on economics son!"

But yeah that sucks. My dad had a similar situation. He arranged a comic book deal on CL with some dude. Didn't tell anyone, went to pick up the comics about 30 minutes away, came home and the 10 (marvel and DC Silver age) books he was buying the lot for weren't in there. He emailed the guy and the guy actually responded and said, he took the comics out of the lot because he found out they are worth something. I think my dad emailed him again and surprise surprise no response. After that I gave him some CL pointers eventhough I try to avoid it like the plague.

Did you bring it up to him that he shorted you?

Did he respond: "I just gave you a free class on economics son!"

But yeah that sucks. My dad had a similar situation. He arranged a comic book deal on CL with some dude. Didn't tell anyone, went to pick up the comics about 30 minutes away, came home and the 10 (marvel and DC Silver age) books he was buying the lot for weren't in there. He emailed the guy and the guy actually responded and said, he took the comics out of the lot because he found out they are worth something. I think my dad emailed him again and surprise surprise no response. After that I gave him some CL pointers eventhough I try to avoid it like the plague.
Yeah I did. If I recalled his response was something like I gave you 1x $100 dollar bill and 18x $20 dollar bills or something like that. He then emailed back with stupid questions like "Why are you selling these for cheap? where did you get the speakers from? Did you steal them?"

I found a Logitech Driving Force GT [Complete] this evening for $25. I have the Driving Force Pro that I bought last year at GW for $15. I just tested the GT with Dirt Rally PC. The GT is a little better than the PRO. GT feels much more responsive force feedback and quieter than the PRO. Here is hoping I find a G25, G27 or G29 this year.

385546ebc2.jpg

Bought this at GW on Friday for $10. Just the Mac nothing else. Cleaned it up yesterday (packed with dust!) and ordered a power cable off Amazon which came today....seems to work great.....well for an old iMac G4 that is!

got some nice finds today. Less than $50 for all these and they are sealed. they were all different prices and i couldn't resist buying them. think custom robo arena was $2.50.

Found me more PS2 games (silent hill games, shadow hearts, yakuza - all complete/discs are in very good shape) today for $5 each. You guys gonna called me out for not buying Silent Hill 3, but I have like 3 copies of it. I thought I leave it for the next shopper.

613f7b5d8e.jpg
613f847dab.jpg
613f90a7e3.jpg

I've had a lot of good luck at my local GW recently. I keep finding Target salvage copies of FIFA 16 on PS3 and Just Dance 2016 for 360. I've picked up a couple of each to get some mega trade credit towards my Switch and a couple games for it.

Ahem, those are zeros in my name, I'm not some sort of freak, ya know. ;)

But yeah, I'd tread carefully with that one. If Parappa is clearly a reseal, then yes, I would just open it to verify that the disc is actually in there. If you sell it sealed and it turns out to be empty (or the buyer claims it is), then the blame and responsibility falls on you, since you have no proof otherwise.

I really don't sell on Amazon anymore and actually went back to working full-time. I have a few hundred listings (down from the thousands I used to have), and something usually sells every few days. It just got to be too competitive, with other sellers driving prices down and local people becoming competition (along with Goodwill getting greedy and raising prices and cherry picking anything good for shopgoodwill)
It's been awhile. Been working a lot, but still enjoy seeing everyone picks. The only good thing I found at Gw was a Alexander Mcqueen scarf (with the skulls), a Rockband 3 ps3, a dobbs fedora. It's getting harder since everyone grabs almost anything.

Still looking for a ps3 guitar with the wireless piece.

Why is Parappa so costly?

I'm so envious of the stories where less than 5 bucks scores you a ton of stuff. My local GW has actually raised the gaming prices from 2.99 to 5.99 recently.

Plus, my conspiracy theory is that my local GW conveniently removes consoles from glass case if color matches that Sunday. Saw a Sega Genesis Saturday before closing and not there on Sunday upon opening.

Found me more PS2 games (silent hill games, shadow hearts, yakuza - all complete/discs are in very good shape) today for $5 each. You guys gonna called me out for not buying Silent Hill 3, but I have like 3 copies of it. I thought I leave it for the next shopper.

613f7b5d8e.jpg
613f847dab.jpg
613f90a7e3.jpg
Did you go after StarOcean? I have that game and it's well worth getting. It's very fun.

I'm so envious of the stories where less than 5 bucks scores you a ton of stuff. My local GW has actually raised the gaming prices from 2.99 to 5.99 recently.

Plus, my conspiracy theory is that my local GW conveniently removes consoles from glass case if color matches that Sunday. Saw a Sega Genesis Saturday before closing and not there on Sunday upon opening.
Word. My area one has been doing that for awhile. At least with anything new. It costs around $7.99 and up now. Used still goes around $3, but a lot of times the games are in bad shape.

This was kind of a delayed reaction find. I purchased a 42" television set (Vizio VW42L) from a thrift in Huachuca City about a month ago. It cost ten dollars, but that was because the set wouldn't turn on at all. I wasn't sure if I would ever get it back on its feet, but it just needed a new power board to replace the old one. I ordered that part a week ago, installed it myself Thursday, and now the set works like a charm! Kind of nice to be able to play something like Final Fantasy XV without bleeding from your eye sockets. The whole shebang (the TV and a fresh power board) cost $52, which is a lot less than a 42" set would cost you at a pawn shop. Hell, the 26" set I was using before cost more than that!

Saw this and the blue inner box for what I assumed was a 2nd headset in the glasscase as I first walked in. This one marked $15.99, the other $39.99. I walk around the store and come back.....the other one is gone, noone in line appeared to have it. I asked to look at this one and its missing the USB wireless adapter but appears to work great with the 3.5mm cable. I assume the $40 one had an adapter. Dat nostalgic PS grey!

Did you go after StarOcean? I have that game and it's well worth getting. It's very fun.

Word. My area one has been doing that for awhile. At least with anything new. It costs around $7.99 and up now. Used still goes around $3, but a lot of times the games are in bad shape.
Nope I didn't get it since I have two copies of it.

First time in awhile I found some decent games thrifting. All are complete with manuals. All are from Goodwill except Frogger and Star Wars Dark Forces. Nothing really great but decent deals.

[attachment=26047:20170323_211746.jpg]

Rig Racer 2 Wii 2.99

Super Mario Galaxy Wii 2.99

Sims:Castaway Wii 2.99

Boogie PS2 2.99 ( I just grabbed this because it was sealed and I collect sealed games)

Cooking Mama 4 3DS 2.99

Rayman PS1 2.99

Contra: Legacy of War PS1 .99

[attachment=26048:20170323_211232.jpg]

Jumbo Jet 2.0 PC 2.99 ( I also collect Big Box PC games)

Sportware Golf Win/Mac 2.99 (Brand New/Sealed)

Frogger PC .99

Star Wars: Dark Forces PC .99

[attachment=26049:20170323_211416.jpg]

2 copies of the South Park movie on Blu-Ray for 2.99 each (Brand New/Sealed)

Saw this and the blue inner box for what I assumed was a 2nd headset in the glasscase as I first walked in. This one marked $15.99, the other $39.99. I walk around the store and come back.....the other one is gone, noone in line appeared to have it. I asked to look at this one and its missing the USB wireless adapter but appears to work great with the 3.5mm cable. I assume the $40 one had an adapter. Dat nostalgic PS grey!

Nice find.

[attachment=26084:IMG_6967.JPG]

One of the thrift stores near my house is feast or famine when it comes to games. Cherry-picked this from a cart full of stuff after seeing nothing worth buying for about six months.

$5 for Zelda, $2 for Wii Sports, $3 each for the others.

Its been awhile since i had good goodwill score. it happend last night.  each game was 2.99 complete and mint..  rare the only game this collection did not have was smash.  but still a good find.

a7dae1fd34.jpg

a7de580ccd.jpg

a7e1007334.jpg

^ Nice!

Got excited when I saw an Xbox 360/PC Hori Real Arcade Pro Ex-SE fighting stick in the display window but I found out it was marked at $79.99. I offered $40, but they insisted that $80 is a fair price. Oh well. I also saw a PS2/GameCube/Xbox Real Arcade Universal Stick (this thing is huge) for $25 a few nights ago, but I passed on it.

b6a4190e6f.jpg

b6a426dc25.jpg

^ Nice!

Got excited when I saw an Xbox 360/PC Hori Real Arcade Pro Ex-SE fighting stick in the display window but I found out it was marked at $79.99. I offered $40, but they insisted that $80 is a fair price. Oh well. I also saw a PS2/GameCube/Xbox Real Arcade Universal Stick (this thing is huge) for $25 a few nights ago, but I passed on it.

b6a4190e6f.jpg

b6a426dc25.jpg
Urf. I had one of those; it burned out the rumble technology in my PS2. My Dual Shock controllers still had their motors in them, of course, but the PS2 could no longer make them shake.

Right now, though, I'm pretty desperate for a fight stick. I'd almost buy one of those again just to plug it into an adapter and play Neo-Geo games on my Android TV.

I offered $40, but they insisted that $80 is a fair price.
Does anybody actually have any luck haggling with GW? I've tried a few times only for them to always tell me their prices are 100% non-negotiable no matter the circumstances. Sure, they lower the prices on items that have been sitting for a while sometimes, but whenever I ask, it's always a no.

Geeez, I thought the days of finding quality Nintendo games for cheap at GW were long gone! Thats a tough post to follow but a find is a find. $1 apiece for the books (why do I not look at that section more often?!), $1 for the Razer mousepad, and $3 for the cd case which is perfect for my non multi disc PS1 games.

Does anybody actually have any luck haggling with GW? I've tried a few times only for them to always tell me their prices are 100% non-negotiable no matter the circumstances. Sure, they lower the prices on items that have been sitting for a while sometimes, but whenever I ask, it's always a no.
For me it depends on the item and if the manager is present to allow it. I have negotiable on electronic/furniture/any large items in the past and they have offer me up to 50% off what they originally price at. Video games = NOPE! Price is pretty much set at $5.99 or whatever it's marked at. A month ago, they had a 1970s Mercier Road Bike marked at $80. I offered $40 cash, letting them know the chain/frame is rusted, not rideable and that I'm planning to convert it to a fixy and they took my offer after the manager was okay with it.

Geeez, I thought the days of finding quality Nintendo games for cheap at GW were long gone! Thats a tough post to follow but a find is a find. $1 apiece for the books (why do I not look at that section more often?!), $1 for the Razer mousepad, and $3 for the cd case which is perfect for my non multi disc PS1 games.

Man I'd love the Zelda guide and Mass Effect art book...LUCKY

Very happy with my finds at Sally's and GW today. GTA dvd was $2. Books are $1 each. The CD collections were $1 each. Lol. Are are complete and minty. Black one is Aretha Franklin: Queen of Soul - The Atlantic Sessions.
b29c76bf8aeddbdae84dedda04fb2b63.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got that Pokemon guide when it pennied out at GS. Had to go through hell for it because the manager was being a little bitch who wouldn't sell it to me, but I got it and a stack of other pennied guides in the end.

Urf. I had one of those; it burned out the rumble technology in my PS2. My Dual Shock controllers still had their motors in them, of course, but the PS2 could no longer make them shake.

Right now, though, I'm pretty desperate for a fight stick. I'd almost buy one of those again just to plug it into an adapter and play Neo-Geo games on my Android TV.
Same. I'm looking for a PS4/PC Hori fighting stick for Street Fighter V/Tekken 7. I'd glady pay up to $50 for one. I'd have done $80 if it was a Hori Real Arcade Pro Hayabusa V fighting stick.

I don't really NEED one, but I've got a helluva craving for a fight stick. I just wish I had more options for my Playstation TV. It's a good system once it's been hacked, but the number of controllers it will work with can be counted on one hand. Annoying.

Anyway! My last trip to Sierra Vista yielded copies of Ocarina of Time (GameCube), Resident Evil 4 (Wii), an Xbox 360 Kinect, and a monitor with an HDMI port. Man, do you KNOW how hard it is to find a monitor at a thrift with an HDMI port? I've seen dozens of displays at Goodwill, Salvation Army, et al, and this is the first that supports HDMI.

bread's done
Back