2017 Thrift Store Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

Hey something Nintendo related thats not overpriced or Wii-current stuff. $2 E-reader with DK Jr on it. Works great....well I dont have any cards to swipe but it boots that game up just fine. Ive been checking almost everyday to see if anything shows up, doubt it.

Dualshock 2- $3, cant pass those up. Always seems to need one for a bundle. Monster Power HTS 3600- $15. I havent tried all the ports yet but it seems good so far.

Non pickup that my mom was mad I didnt buy because, "well just look at it....its so ugly its perfect" Edit- showed the picture to my sisters boyfriend.....turns out his mom dropped that off at GW and it was in their basement for like 30 years!  "I knew noone else had the same clown in this town!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I only wanted the SNES games but they wouldn't part it out so I bought an SNES system with 2 games (Super Mario Kart & Super Mario World) for $25. I have 7 days to return it if it doesn't work for store credit.

af33ba4b63.jpg

You can get $22 cash or $27.50 store credit at game stop for just the system.

I only wanted the SNES games but they wouldn't part it out so I bought an SNES system with 2 games (Super Mario Kart & Super Mario World) for $25. I have 7 days to return it if it doesn't work for store credit.

af33ba4b63.jpg

You can get $22 cash or $27.50 store credit at game stop for just the system.
I can walk into ANY GAMESTOP STORE and trade my SNES system (with a/v & rf cable and 1 controller) for cash or credit? If yeah gonna trade it for credit and use it on a pre-owned copy of Marvel and Capcom 3 PS4.

Slim pickings today thrifting I did get 3 games though at Goodwills so not a total waste of time.

[attachment=26258:20170409_231944.jpg]

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WII U)  $29.99

NBA Jam Tournament Edition (PS1) 1.99

Nascar Racing 2003 Season (PC) .99

NBA Jam is just disc only but atleast it's the tournament edition. Nascar 2003 Season goes for a bunch on Ebay like over $75 or so.

I can walk into ANY GAMESTOP STORE and trade my SNES system (with a/v & rf cable and 1 controller) for cash or credit? If yeah gonna trade it for credit and use it on a pre-owned copy of Marvel and Capcom 3 PS4.
Yes they started taking retro trades at all stores last fall.

Gaming stuff has been crap lately, but last night I stopped at a GW that wasn't in my usual area. Found a Strider Ultralight balance bike for my nephew for $5. It's in nearly perfect condition and he's just getting to that age, so I couldn't pass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

slow's journal entry 1347:

Now that gamestop takes retro stuff, I can't use my favorite line anymore at garage sales: "I like the stuff gamestop doesn't take anymore..."

I will not lie to people. Pros don't need to.

Old me wouldn't have left Goodwill without that. Current me says, meh. Still, found Master Blaster Still Blasting and Qix Neo PSX $2 each that were complete and hadn't been turned into hockey pucks so that was alright.

How much was the PS display? I tried to buy the one at my BB when it closed, but employees took the tv and system. I did buy the PS3 light up sign part from it though for $5 or $10 (I can't remember). I plan to wall mount it once I have more space. It does have a circuit board about half way down that is exposed, but I am happy with it.

How much was the PS display? I tried to buy the one at my BB when it closed, but employees took the tv and system. I did buy the PS3 light up sign part from it though for $5 or $10 (I can't remember). I plan to wall mount it once I have more space. It does have a circuit board about half way down that is exposed, but I am happy with it.
$60. Tag was missing though, so someone else may have snagged it. One of the many reasons I let it go.

For $60? i would have bought it if it includes the PS3 slim. I remembered my Goodwill had the original Xbox kiosk display with joystick and 27" CRT TV attached but they wanted $99 for it. I was gonna buy it but it didn't fit in my car (I had a 1997 Honda Prelude Coupe SH).

For $60? i would have bought it if it includes the PS3 slim. I remembered my Goodwill had the original Xbox kiosk display with joystick and 27" CRT TV attached but they wanted $99 for it. I was gonna buy it but it didn't fit in my car (I had a 1997 Honda Prelude Coupe SH).
I was working at Toys R Us when ours was removed from the planogram. I pleaded with my boss to let me take it, but no luck. TRU is very strict on making sure things are destroyed, and it went right into the compactor that afternoon, still with the xbox in it (TV was removed, IIRC). It was a sad day.

I'm 99% sure it was a dummy PS3. That's another reason I left it. (Also, I have a Chevy Trax, I was on my lunch break, I don't really collect PS3, etc.)

I was working at Toys R Us when ours was removed from the planogram. I pleaded with my boss to let me take it, but no luck. TRU is very strict on making sure things are destroyed, and it went right into the compactor that afternoon, still with the xbox in it (TV was removed, IIRC). It was a sad day.
Yeah, TRU is probably the strictest retailer on that stuff in my experience. I've never gotten a complete kiosk, but I try to buy displays for various things. LEGO are also near impossible to get. I still have a batman forever standee I got when I worked at wal mart. Target is hit or miss for display things, but I have a pokemon Black 2 and White 2 3d sign from target.

Most of you have probably seen this in other threads, but I was happy to get this from my BB. I was able to fill it with Borderlands related stuff.

Just say no, and sell it for $60 on eBay, probably $100+ with those two games.

Slim pickings today thrifting I did get 3 games though at Goodwills so not a total waste of time.

20170409_231944.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WII U) $29.99
NBA Jam Tournament Edition (PS1) 1.99
Nascar Racing 2003 Season (PC) .99

NBA Jam is just disc only but atleast it's the tournament edition. Nascar 2003 Season goes for a bunch on Ebay like over $75 or so.
What the heck? Why is NASCAR worth so much, usually annualized sports franchises aren't worth squat.

Just say no, and sell it for $60 on eBay, probably $100+ with those two games.
I sold the snes system for $30 on craigslist. Just wanted to get rid of it since I have a Hyperkin Retron. I was quite surprised how much responses I got after I posted it.

Glad the GW by my work has had some decent stuff recently because I havent been hitting up my other thrifts since getting the full time position at work in November. Im gonna pick up on that and yardsales pretty soon, wanting to get out again!

Grabbed these after work, $2 for the N64 card and $3 for the PS1 card. Havent checked the saves yet

These were from the other day. Game.Com in a nice box with Batman&Robin and Lightsout from $3 and a CIB Hatchimal (unhatched) for $25

Why would you buy playstation memory cards? Are the saves worth something? I'm just curious as I have a large amount of them. I just put them in an empty baby wipe box when I buy systems.

That is a slowdive protip: Buy two boxes of baby wipes. Use one up and transfer the wipes from box 2 to box 1 (so box 2 is never near any poo). Use box 2 for memory cards, GB games, etc.

I thought you were gonna suggest using the wipes to clean your hands or maybe things you found at the sales. (Sorry, no kids.)

Why would you buy playstation memory cards? Are the saves worth something? I'm just curious as I have a large amount of them. I just put them in an empty baby wipe box when I buy systems.

That is a slowdive protip: Buy two boxes of baby wipes. Use one up and transfer the wipes from box 2 to box 1 (so box 2 is never near any poo). Use box 2 for memory cards, GB games, etc.
I doubt the saves would make it worth any more than a blank card, it was more of I hadnt checked to see if they still load/hold a save. And its always nice to have a memory card around to add to a system bundle Im trying to sell/trade. (the card did have a 40hr FF7 save on it, if anyone was wondering!)

I thought you were gonna suggest using the wipes to clean your hands or maybe things you found at the sales. (Sorry, no kids.)
I do that too. The point being the empty container has a use. I like the huggies ones because they have a little rubber-like slot, so you can just drop them in.

You could also buy a box of wipes instead of 2 tubs. Some of the Huggies boxes come with 2 resealable bags of wipes and a brand new tub.

Bluuuggghh, got super excited the other day at Goodwill when I spied Tomba behind the counter, but it turned out to be the back case only. Suuuuuuuper disappointing.

Welp I had a working $10 fatty PS2 but of course I felt like I had to open it up and give it a decent cleaning............shouldve just opened it enough to spray some compressed air and call it a day! Ripped 2 ribbon cables trying to plug them back into the cd drive and power buttons. Just said  fuck and put it all back in the case and screwed it back together. Not even worth dicking around with further. Ill find another! :wall:

did the same thing when i got one that wasn't working turns out someone had opened it and took the laser for the dvd drive. at least i know how easy those ribbons break if i ever decide to open another one.

I have a complete set of this game but I bought it for co-op. It comes with box, led sensors, straps, guncon, and manuals. Just need the game (probably will get it at gamestop for $5) to complete it.

6abffe0c12.jpg

I have a complete set of this game but I bought it for co-op. It comes with box, led sensors, straps, guncon, and manuals. Just need the game (probably will get it at gamestop for $5) to complete it.

6abffe0c12.jpg
Think the ps move controllers work for this game too.

Wonder what other games work on the guncon?

It sucks but only Time Crisis 4/Time Crisis: Razing Storm/DeadStorm Pirates works with GunCon3. 

Bag of figures was $5, sadly nothing older than 2002. The 2 Pokemon toys still light up which is pretty cool. Really nice looking complete copy of Wii Sports for $3. Nonpickups- $15 for a Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles Wiimote gun attachment, it was in the box but I didnt see the faceplate or the Umbrella analog stick nub. They also had an Apple watch in the box for $250....its $270 at Target

Bag of figures was $5, sadly nothing older than 2002. The 2 Pokemon toys still light up which is pretty cool. Really nice looking complete copy of Wii Sports for $3. Nonpickups- $15 for a Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles Wiimote gun attachment, it was in the box but I didnt see the faceplate or the Umbrella analog stick nub. They also had an Apple watch in the box for $250....its $270 at Target

Been looking g or the old school Mikey with the spinning hand/arm. I think it was made around the 1990s.

I found at a salvation army operation genesis pc sim game, but no booklet and box. They had resident evil 10th anniversary music cda610-vsp along with transformers, but did not pickup due to wrong cds in them.
Pickup a Nerf star wars rogue one captain blaster for $3.99 new in box. Batteries still work and makes cool blaster sounds.

Harman Kardon Soundsticks and subwoofer, dusty and suppose to be used with a Mac since the only input is USB but they sound fine just using them with my phone and a USB OTG adapter- $10

Double checked the little furniture corner and I saw the red DS Lite sitting there. No dings, scratches, or any problems. Has the stylus and GBA cartridge. Clean AF!- $10

I went to return a ps2 to goodwill that was broken, only to find out that they no longer accept returns. They only do exchanges within 7 days now. I can rarely find any good deals there as it is, and no one ever mentioned it whenever I did buy something.

Picked up a couple gba games at a garage sale today. But my favorite find so far this summer was today.
Finally finished my halo steel book collection.
Went to a pawn shop that likes to wheel and deal on games and got
Halo 3 collectors edition complete xbox 360
Mech assault 2 xbox
Starsky and hutch xbox
For $10. Probably overpaid a little but I'm glad to finally have the steel book at a reasonable price. Didn't need the game as I already own it multiple other ways.

Interesting find today. About 5 minutes after walking in to my old regular GW, a cart came out with a bunch of anime looking and plain white boxes.

They were all Cardfight Vanguard cards, a ton of them. I know nothing about them, but for $30, I figured it was worth the chance.

Almost all cards are in protectors, duplicates bundled together. The person that owned this stuff easily spent 1000s of dollars on it.

The only things I passed on were a few boxes with empty protector cases. Those all got snatched up by a neckbeard about 10 minutes after I threw those back into a cart.

Now comes the fun of looking up each card type. Why do I do this to myself?
5d7b38b8ac706dc84db429e67bd76df5.jpg
9d12e245a4e6938e2da50200e0a31ebf.jpg
afd93ac443cf17f110680730a519f6fe.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

bread's done
Back