2021 Thrift Store AND Yard Sale Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

How did Turtles in Time not end up on ShopGoodwill?

Only thing the local stores stock these days are broken alarm clocks, books and used clothes priced the same as new stuff at the store.
A few years back I always found good stuffs on ShopGoodwill at a reasonable price. Now everything on there I have to pay double the price. Best purchase I bought was a lot of used Sony digital cameras with lens (A5000, Nex-3, A200) for $140 shipped. I ended up flipping Nex-3 and A200 locally for $220 total and kept the A5000.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goodwill was slow this week. Edit- I just forgot to take a pic of my GW pickup! Original Xbox with cables, 1 controller S, 2 Dukes, and Super Monkey Ball Deluxe inside for $25. The lady at the small thrift store found the game she had for me last weekend but misplaced........yeah I paid $4 for Pikmin 2 and a sealed bottle of rubbing alcohol!

9XASMth.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Found the 4 disc Blue Seed DVD set (1995 Production IG anime series) at Sally's for $2 a disc. One of the first anime series I watched from beginning to end. Still have my old VHS copies.

Anyway, I bring it up to the counter and say "It was nice to find the entire series on the shelf." He replies "You should have been here earlier this week. Someone dropped off about 100 of them."

Dammit.

on another note, all the goodwills in my area have closed.

I called that this was going to happen when they switched to putting all their good stuff on shopgoodwill.com. Had they continued to actually have worthwhile things, I think they would have had a greater net profit at the store, and thus stayed open.

How ironic that Goodwill, which is supposed to be offering jobs, is now shutting down stores and laying people off, just because they are getting greedier with the things they sell via online fronts.
In my area they closed the "Job Connection Center" staffing agency that they had in all of the stores and fired all of those people, and have further reduced the number of employees that run the actual stores. Mind I am by no means a fan of Goodwill as a company, they transitioned away from being a charitable organization and became a for profit corporation just over two decades ago. They have a lot of their shoppers convinced that they're still a charity, even though they no longer make any such claim, and to keep up their image of being a charity they eat the sales taxes, as legally they're required to collect and pay them just like any other for-profit retail business. They've been caught doing quite a lot of shady stuff over the years since transitioning into a corporation as well, like bulk selling off donated computers with original owner's data still intact to used electronics vendors in Africa (you can't make this stuff up).

Forgot to post this, but is was my best thrift find in the past year (probably my 2nd all time best thrift find).

attachicon.gif
PXL_20201106_012835470.jpg
WOW! I have yet to see a Laser Active in person in my nearly 25 years collecting, awesome find!

Catch up post! Note cards and TI83 from GW for $5. Storage bins were $6 apiece from the small thrift, was able to fit all my SNES and PS1 games in them! McDonalds Disney glasses were $1 apiece at GW. Polaroid was $6 at GW. The rest was around $20 from both places. Little tricky getting that PC game to play on my modern rig.

xgh4i2o.jpeg
vefZi3w.jpeg
Vp3cPRc.jpeg
z5WYrhA.jpeg
Fcn65wq.jpeg
pelgp6y.jpeg

Glasses were $2 apiece, 2x every other glass they have. CD was 50 cents. Official Gameboy Pocket ac adapter was $1. DVD was $2. Games were $3 apiece. Xbox360s were $20 apiece, ones got the RROD so its going back tomorrow. 3rd party X1 and Switch controllers were $3 apiece. Xbox360 composite cable was $1.

IUo1CBM.jpeg
lfKx0qx.jpeg
hmnxyLR.jpeg

Found 3 sealed copies of Splatoon 2 today at the local thrift store. They were a bit sun damaged but for $3 apiece no way I was going to pass them up. Going to stop by tomorrow to see if they put any more Switch games out or if this was a one time only thing.

Excellent GW day yesterday. $74.42- Gund Littlefoot plush, Coleco ALF plush, Applause Snuffleupagos plushes, Polaroid Sun600, bag of usb cables, bag of Artefice Ottanta dalmatian figures, Logitech Trackman mouse, new Adidas St Louis Blues beanie, sealed 8 pack of Sony MD discs, sealed mattress protector, and an Xbox360 E with cables and controller. FYI, the plushes are worth around $30 apiece! An ALF sold for $50 on Ebay less than a month ago. And Ive been getting around $35 shipped for them Polaroids without film. The beanie will be worn by me and Im thinking about holding onto the Xbox360 e. I think it would sit nicely on my computer desk under the Playstation 3d monitor.

iU21ilx.jpeg
DN2ULRC.jpeg

Excellent GW day yesterday. $74.42- Gund Littlefoot plush, Coleco ALF plush, Applause Snuffleupagos plushes, Polaroid Sun600, bag of usb cables, bag of Artefice Ottanta dalmatian figures, Logitech Trackman mouse, new Adidas St Louis Blues beanie, sealed 8 pack of Sony MD discs, sealed mattress protector, and an Xbox360 E with cables and controller. FYI, the plushes are worth around $30 apiece! An ALF sold for $50 on Ebay less than a month ago. And Ive been getting around $35 shipped for them Polaroids without film. The beanie will be worn by me and Im thinking about holding onto the Xbox360 e. I think it would sit nicely on my computer desk under the Playstation 3d monitor.

iU21ilx.jpeg
DN2ULRC.jpeg
I prefer my Alf to be back, in Pog form

Bought Minecraft Xbox 360 for $10 and it's still factory sealed. Employee said it just came this afternoon.

Why is this game fetching for a ridiculous amount on eBay? 

IMG-9987.jpg

Lantern was new in box, $6. Dvd is sealed, $2. All games are complete, $3 apiece. DDR Game is complete, $15. Little high for GW but it's like $45 on Ebay. Trays were $2 apiece.

hmHAxUi.jpeg
6pwvtxb.jpeg

No idea...maybe its not patched?
Because video game collecting has become very speculative of late. It's really getting a bit out of control and the insane prices for "classic" games will probably normalize in a few years. Now is a great time to be selling vintage games.

I keep reading that selling retro games is hot right now...  then I see the tons of stuff I've had listed on Ebay for months. I haven't really noticed any extra interest this year than I would normally honestly.

I keep reading that selling retro games is hot right now... then I see the tons of stuff I've had listed on Ebay for months. I haven't really noticed any extra interest this year than I would normally honestly.
It really depends on what you are selling I suppose. The majority of retro games are not in high demand. I have been collecting classic handheld games from the 70's and 80's since around 2003. I have seen prices fluctuate quite a bit on ebay over the years. The prices are definitely much more inflated the past few years in that area anyway. There is also a lot of the same stuff always being sold. I know from experience that those items will definitely take a long time to sell. Occasionally I will make an offer on items that have been listed for months. The seller almost always accepts. I used to enjoy using ebay back in the early days when you actually bid on items and buy it now was rare. I got some great deals bidding back in the day.

Welp I have that feeling like I missed something! I saw some new dvds and games that werent there Tuesday (the last day I went), even a couple SNES games....but they were all sports games. They were tagged on 12/23 which means they probably got set out this morning and were already picked through. Im sure since they were closed the past 2 days the regulars were lined up this morning!

Lucky for me the others dont really like buying the higher priced items so I did find some things. Little pricey at GW right before Xmas!! Sony CFD-G505 Xplod- $40, left grill is a little dented in and I need to open it to checkout the CD part that isn't spinning. Marantz 2235B receiver with booklets and paperwork- $50, seems to work just fine. Fujifilm instant camera-$12. And I bought an Atari Flashback 4 set all taped together for $20. System ended up frying because the ac adapter actually goes to an NES! But the paddle controllers, wireless controllers, and NES adapter are working fine. Guitars were $6 apiece.

DVPUEdP.jpeg
5dEgsn2.jpeg
L3svfOX.jpeg
DVfCzTX.jpeg

Welp I have that feeling like I missed something! I saw some new dvds and games that werent there Tuesday (the last day I went), even a couple SNES games....but they were all sports games. They were tagged on 12/23 which means they probably got set out this morning and were already picked through. Im sure since they were closed the past 2 days the regulars were lined up this morning!

Lucky for me the others dont really like buying the higher priced items so I did find some things. Little pricey at GW right before Xmas!! Sony CFD-G505 Xplod- $40, left grill is a little dented in and I need to open it to checkout the CD part that isn't spinning. Marantz 2235B receiver with booklets and paperwork- $50, seems to work just fine. Fujifilm instant camera-$12. And I bought an Atari Flashback 4 set all taped together for $20. System ended up frying because the ac adapter actually goes to an NES! But the paddle controllers, wireless controllers, and NES adapter are working fine. Guitars were $6 apiece.

DVPUEdP.jpeg
5dEgsn2.jpeg
L3svfOX.jpeg
DVfCzTX.jpeg
Nice pick up on the Marantz. I have a few old receivers I found earlier this year but I would love to find one of those locally.

bread's done
Back