$3.99 Anime DVDs @ Big Lots

stinkycat

CAG Veteran
I visited my local Big Lots today, and there were lots of anime titles for $3.99. These were mainly Pioneer/Geneon titles.

I remember seeing:

Ai Yori Aoshi
A Little Snow Fairy Sugar
Sherlock Hound
Soul Taker
Lupin
Zoids
Mao-Chan
Hamtaro
Sol Bianca
Captain Herlock
Magical Project S
El Hazzard, the Wanderers
Heat Guy J

Unfortunately, I already had quite a few of these titles. But for anyone that doesn't own these titles and has these stocked at Big Lots near them, this is a really good deal!

Was it the entire series or most of the DVDs of the series or just one or two? Also, Ai Yori Aoshi wasn't bad and Zoids I really like. Which zoids series was it though, Zoids: Chaotic Century or the other Zoids series that its name alludes me now?

Heat Guy J is also a great series.

I think Mao chan and Soultaker were complete. The others were not.
They also had Gad Guard 1-2
Other Big Lots stores may have had other parts of the series, I only visited one store.

The Lupin DVD were The "Mystery of Mamo" movie and 1 of the series.

Gonna check Big Lots tomorrow since I haven't been there in a while along with a couple more K-Marts.

Wouldn't mind some Zoids, Ai Yori, and some Heat Guy J.

dude your big lots selection was SO mcuh better than mine. Corrector Yui volume 4, hamtaro and beyblade vol. 1 ain't exactly something worth talking about and certaintly not buying...

One of the Big Lots near me has had a few scattered anime titles for $3.99. I remember getting a Ranma 1/2 DVD there for that price several months ago.

Well checked one BL before it closed. Only anime I saw was some DBZ Video Tapes and CCG cards packaged together for about about 7 bucks. All the BL's shut down around 6 PM here I'll try hitting some more tommarow. Did get Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven Special Edition and Heroes Chronicles: Masters of the Elements for 3.99 each.

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']Once again Ill say it, what the fucks a big lot?[/QUOTE]

Trust me, you're better off now knowing. I feel filthy just driving past their parking lot.

I'll have to make a trip to mine. Need Hamtaro! And Sherlock Hound, Lupin, Mao-Chan, Captain Herlock, Magical Project S, and El Hazard.

There should be a MAJOR YMMV warning for this thread... would love Magical Project S and El-Hazard if anyone would like to share. Stupid Henderson... grumble grumble...

[quote name='Sailorneorune']There should be a MAJOR YMMV warning for this thread... would love Magical Project S and El-Hazard if anyone would like to share. Stupid Henderson... grumble grumble...[/QUOTE]

What do you mean "stupid Henderson"?

I live in Henderson, KY. Anime is a treasured commodity here, as what anime is here is edited kids' stuff and the stuff in Evansville is overpriced.

[quote name='Sailorneorune']There should be a MAJOR YMMV warning for this thread... would love Magical Project S and El-Hazard if anyone would like to share. Stupid Henderson... grumble grumble...[/QUOTE]

This is a little of topic but i went to kb toys today and they had vol. 2 of magical project s for $6. So i guess if you want you can check if you have any near you. Good luck

[quote name='Sailorneorune']I live in Henderson, KY. Anime is a treasured commodity here, as what anime is here is edited kids' stuff and the stuff in Evansville is overpriced.[/QUOTE]

Oh I thought you were talking about here.

Bah, I visited the Big Lots in the Great Western Shopping Center, Columbus, OH... No luck. Not even a very good DVD display to begin with, and I didn't see anything that looked like a bin or a display with anime DVDs.

Mine had all the volumes of Zoids. Big Lots sucks ass though, and I don't like Zoids. Half of the shit in there, they couldn't pay me to take home.

[quote name='red flare graf']Mine had all the volumes of Zoids. Big Lots sucks ass though, and I don't like Zoids. Half of the shit in there, they couldn't pay me to take home.[/QUOTE]

I rather liked Zoids(Chaotic Century was a lot better though) I don't like the fact they realesed it as Dub only I mean what a freakin waste of raw materials. But there where none with Anime DVD's in my area so it doesn't matter.

If somebody out there could possibly snag me a copy of El Hazard: The Wanderers volume 1, I would be eternally grateful. I found the other three at my local Big Lots, and would love to complete the set. Same goes for Captain Herlock volume 4 or Magical Project S volume 1, but mostly I'm dying for the El Hazard. Thanks much!

Dared to enter my local Big Lots. Poorest dvd selection ever. Regarding this sale, literally 1 copy of Zoids (didn't see what volume). Worth a shot, though.

I also saw Project Arms there. If anybody was looking for that, let me know. I was looking for Heat Guy J among others.

Hey, there's one a full three hours away. ;)

Boy, it sure would be something to pay more for gas than for the movies.

I just bought a lot of anime, and two non-anime movies:
Magical Project S - Volume 1 (Episodes 1-13)
Magical Project S - Volume 2 (Episodes 14-26
Hamtaro - Hamtaro and the Ham Hams
Hamtaro - A Surprise Party!
Lupin the Movie
Lain - Deus
Lain - Navi
Haibane Renmei - New Feathers
Haibane Renmei - Day of Flight
Soul taker - blood betrayal
Soul taker - Flickering Faith
Soul taker - The Truth
Gad Guard - Volume 1
Gad Guard - Volume 2
Zoids - Volume 1
Zoids - Volume 2
Zoids - Volume 3
Heat Guy J - Super Android
Heat Guy J - Hidden Fangs
Mao Chan - Volume 1
Mao Chan - Volume 2
Ai Yori Aoshi - Volume 4
Ai Yori Aoshi - Volume 5

Non-Anime
Air America
Gumby's Greatest Adventures (my mom told me to get it, it was a dollar, so I didn't care)

Magical Project S is a complete series, but it is only in japanese w/ english subtitles. Thats the way I like it, so it isn't bad. Haibane Renmei is a VERY good series, and Serial Experiments Lain (both are made by the same people) is also a VERY good series. Hamtaro is cute, so I just went ahead and got two of them.
They had Zoids Volume 6, but I didn't get it because the first three were good enough for now. I bought Air America b/c I remember seeing it as a kid and I loved the plane crashes. BTW, most are fullscreen, but I really don't care. Haibane Renmei is Widescreen 16:9 ratio.
The only dvd cheaper than $3.99 is gumby, which was like $1.50 or something.
I just about cleared out the store on South Cobb Drive, Smyrna, Georgia. There are only like 3 or 4 anime dvds left there now.

**They will NOT LET YOU RETURN ANY OF THEM!!!! If there is something wrong with one (I will find out sooner or later), you can't go back to the store and complain.**

EDIT: Btw, how many volumes in Zoids are there? I wouldn't mind completing the set now that I already have Volumes 1-3.

I just went to the Akron, OH one (on Market...I might try to hit Tallmadge Ave. tomorrow).

But anyway, I didn't see any Anime DVDs :whistle2:( I was looking forward to getting a Soul Taker one.

SadieDee, I am going to biglots tomorrow and I remember seeing a Soul Taker. Unsure of which one, but if you send me a .jpg of the cover I would gladly pick it up. I would need to be paid through Paypal if you're interested.

happy gaming

[quote name='Soujiro_Seta']This is a little of topic but i went to kb toys today and they had vol. 2 of magical project s for $6. So i guess if you want you can check if you have any near you. Good luck[/QUOTE]
apparently Magical Project S vol.2 is ALL they sell at KB. i've gone to several and that's all i've seen. =\ for $6 i definitely couldn't pass it up since this was also a series i tried to collect when it was released years and years ago.

i just gotta try to find the time to check out the one in Carl Place.

I went to my Big Lots here and got all the anime they had except Dbz. I got El Hazard, Magical Project S and Trouble Chocolate. I want to know f anybody else has bought Magical Project S and has had trouble with the second disk of volume 1? When I play it I get episodes 21-26 not 7-13 like I am suppsed to. The front of the dvd pretty sammy debut disk 2 like it should. My Big Lots didn't have any more and I wonder if I could contact Geneon for a replacement since its the dvd thats messed up.

[quote name='_heretic']Were the Lupin DVDs the movies, or the TV sets?[/QUOTE]

They had both the series and a movie at mine, I scored 2 lupin and 2 Armitage.

Struck out at a Big Lots, and gave up at first, but later hit another one, and was quite lucky. (Enough that I made a go along with my sis to a third one a few days ago, but it was just like the first.)

Between my sister and I, we picked up:

Gad Guard Vol 1, 2
Sol Bianca The Legacy "Going Home"
Captain Herlock Vol 1, 3
Haibane-Renmei Vol 1, 4
Lain Vol 1, 3
The Soultaker Vol 3, 4
Wanderers (El-Hazard) Vol 2, 4
Sherlock Hound Vol 1, 4
Lupin the 3rd The Movie: The Secret of Mamo
Lupin the 3rd, Love Heist
Magical Project S, both collections ($8 for a 26 ep series is pretty darned good!)
Heat Guy J Vol 1, 4 (I think)

There was also a Widescreen copy of Dog Soldiers, a good action/horror werewolf film we saw at a Sci-Fi Marathon. Wish there had been two, because she called dibs on it, but eh. Same price as the anime.

Pretty good finds, a lot of Volume 1s, so we can figure out if we like the series much easier, and if we do, we have a later disc to help fill out the collection. It's just a shame that one Big Lots had a ton of it, and the other two we tried had literally nothing. (Hardly even movie DVDs, which I figured a place like Big Lots would have a ton of.)

[quote name='MissDrummer28']I went to my Big Lots here and got all the anime they had except Dbz. I got El Hazard, Magical Project S and Trouble Chocolate. I want to know f anybody else has bought Magical Project S and has had trouble with the second disk of volume 1? When I play it I get episodes 21-26 not 7-13 like I am suppsed to. The front of the dvd pretty sammy debut disk 2 like it should. My Big Lots didn't have any more and I wonder if I could contact Geneon for a replacement since its the dvd thats messed up.[/QUOTE]

I just cracked mine open to check, my second disc had episodes 8-13, so it sounds like a mislabeled disc got put into your case by mistake. Best to contact them. (And hooray for a Slayers avatar! ;D)

[quote name='MissDrummer28']I went to my Big Lots here and got all the anime they had except Dbz. I got El Hazard, Magical Project S and Trouble Chocolate. I want to know f anybody else has bought Magical Project S and has had trouble with the second disk of volume 1? When I play it I get episodes 21-26 not 7-13 like I am suppsed to. The front of the dvd pretty sammy debut disk 2 like it should. My Big Lots didn't have any more and I wonder if I could contact Geneon for a replacement since its the dvd thats messed up.[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't matter if they still had any, because they don't allow returns or anything of the such.

EDIT: I just checked mine, and all four dvds (got both volumes) have the episodes they are supposed to.

The Big Lots in Dallas, GA does fairly well on regular shipments of anime dvds. Last week in particular, there was a pretty decent selection.

After having to go to Rome later in the week, I stopped at the Big Lots there, to see what they had. Absolutely zilch. I was talking with one of the managers (was pleasantly surprized to find he's also an anime fan) who reported that his store usually gets VHS only, and he's never seen an anime come into the store. Apparantly the Big Lots distribution center is quirky in how they divide stock among stores.

Busy weekend, but I did manage to make it to Big Lots somehow with all of my CC going, etc. My Big Lots still had plenty of titles, but they were all random. they had Chobits 2, 5, and 7 but I didn't buy them since I didn't want to start show with odd number volumes and wanted at least the first disc of the series. Saw some others like this like Sherlock Hound Volume 4 and 5.

The following list is the titles that I saw at my Big Lots:

Adventures of Mini Goddess: 3
Chobits: 2, 5, 7
Gad Guard: 2
Gungrave: 1
Hyper Dolls
L/R: 1, 4
Mahoromatic: Automatic Maiden: 3
Mahoromatic: Automatic Maiden, Something More Beautiful: 1, 3
Master Keaton: 1, 2, 4
Nazca: 2
Niea Under 7: 3
Patlabor WXIII: The Movie (Standard Edition) (really had to think about getting this one, but the disc was loose inside and it sounded like something was broken, so I passed.}
Sol Bianca: 3
Trigun
Vandread: 4

The only DVD I ended up getting was Gungrave Volume One since I wouldn't mind starting that series/watching some of it and then deciding on it. Besides, it was only $3.99.

Was hoping for some of the Lupin the 3rd that I've been hearing about, but I couldn't find any. Maybe I'll hit up another Big Lots.

bread's done
Back