30 in Widescreen HDTV - $320-$388 shipped, Philips Outlet

dafoomie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_r.../41907ABB9A6F008D00000000828BD472&shop=OUTLET
http://www.electronicsnation.com/en/products/show_product/category/2131

Electronics Nation will pricematch the Philips Outlet (they're an affiliate, or an authorized reseller, or something, and are reputable), and they offer extended warranties for extra cash.

Before you make a major purchase on an HDTV, do your research at:
http://www.avsforum.com/

Here are the pros and cons on the 3 major models usually found at Philips Outlet:

30PW850H: $359
0003784993574_215X215.jpg

Pros:
Fewer problems overall, more likely to get a working unit without any problems
2 component inputs
Has both the 3D comb filter and 'eye fidelity' (480i to 480p upscaling)

Cons:
No HDMI
Can not adjust aspect ratio except on 480i, non widescreen will be stretched.

Avsforum thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=366742&page=1&pp=30

30PW8420: $388
43361EBF325F00D700000000828BD472.jpg

Pros:
HDMI port
3D comb filter

Cons:
Somewhat more prone to certain issues, minor hum, geometry, and broken units
Only 1 component input
No 'eye fidelity' (480i to 480p upscaling)

30PW8402: $320-$350
118246-2212p147-4b.jpg

Pros:
HDMI port
2 component inputs
'Eye fidelity'

Cons:
Least reliable, most prone to problems, such as speaker interference with the screen, geometry, and DOA
No 3D comb filter

Other models:
30PW8520 - Picture in picture, 2 component inputs, no HDMI. Not often available
30PW9xxxD - Built in OTA tuner, but analog signals look like crap, often more expensive.

Don't take my word for it, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY! I will not be responsible if you are unhappy with your purchase, and neither will Philips Outlet. Their return policy on refurbs is 30 days, on site repair, shipping back to them at their expense if required, but no refunds, exchange for identical item only. They will only refund your money if they no longer have your model in stock.

[quote name='dafoomie']I don't really care if you said it already.[/QUOTE]
Then what is the point of your post the guy already responded to my post before you posted and your post even had incorrect infromation.

[quote name='BULL_Ship']Then what is the point of your post the guy already responded to my post before you posted and your post even had incorrect infromation.[/QUOTE]
Why do you care so much? You answered his question while I was still typing, do you want a gold star on your forehead?

[quote name='dafoomie']Would you like a cookie?[/QUOTE]

I will give you all cookies if you tell me how the Green machine/Xbox will perform with this tv? I need the truth!!! You can't handle the truth!!! Sorry, got off topic a bit. lol

[quote name='Pratt75']I will give you all cookies if you tell me how the Green machine/Xbox will perform with this tv? I need the truth!!! You can't handle the truth!!! Sorry, got off topic a bit. lol[/QUOTE]
Should work fine, as long as you have the High Def AV pack. You won't be able to use 720p, but you can use 480p and 1080i. I bought one, and I mostly use my Xbox right now. It'll work great, widescreen is great for Xbox.

Sweet!!! Thanks for the info dafoomie.
What kind of cookies do you want??? Soft batch, big sixty, oreo's???
Just playing man. Thank you.

Do you use the Microsoft High def AV pack?

[quote name='Pratt75']Sweet!!! Thanks for the info dafoomie.
What kind of cookies do you want??? Soft batch, big sixty, oreo's???
Just playing man. Thank you.

Do you use the Microsoft High def AV pack?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, thats what I use. Its cheap enough ($20) that its not worth bothering with 3rd party stuff. If you can find it used at EB, its only $10 before coupons.

[quote name='dafoomie']Why do you care so much? You answered his question while I was still typing, do you want a gold star on your forehead?[/QUOTE]

PWNED.

Just remember that this TV is 30 inches from corner to corner, so anything that isn't WS will have black bars on each side. This will effectively make whatever you're watching look like it's being displayed on a 24 inch Standard Def TV, or thereabouts.

If you do some searching around, you'll find that alot of people have trouble with the philips outlet store.

Here are the main problems with this tv.

1. You can't return it if it doesn't work. You can only exchange it (not likely they will do it) or wait for a repair shop to repair it. shttp://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_r...port.do?CustAnchor=POLICY#generalreturnpolicy

2. philips outlet is notorious for bad packaging. Alot of people who have bought this tv in the past have said that it came damaged and then they had to wait for repair for 2+ months.

3. There seems to be alot of returns on this tv. They have had this tv in the philips outlet for a long time.

[quote name='acer']If you do some searching around, you'll find that alot of people have trouble with the philips outlet store.

Here are the main problems with this tv.

1. You can't return it if it doesn't work. You can only exchange it (not likely they will do it) or wait for a repair shop to repair it. shttp://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_r...port.do?CustAnchor=POLICY#generalreturnpolicy

2. philips outlet is notorious for bad packaging. Alot of people who have bought this tv in the past have said that it came damaged and then they had to wait for repair for 2+ months.

3. There seems to be alot of returns on this tv. They have had this tv in the philips outlet for a long time.[/QUOTE]
Why do you say its "not likely" that they will accept an exchange? Everything else is true to a degree, but they've been good about exchanging defective products and paying for return shipping. If somethings wrong with it, get an RMA and return it at their cost, don't even bother with repair shops.

They might try and talk you into it, but demand an RMA if its under warranty.

One of my friends bought one about 1½ years ago. It was on sale at Good Guys for $899.99. He plays his Xbox on there, and while playing Widescreen mode for games that don't support HDTV, un-supported games like Kung Fu Chaos became blurry, so he switched the settings to Normal in the Xbox settings, and it became fine. I don't know how it does with other "un-supportive" games, but games like Halo 2 and Unreal Championship look good. The TV is great, and stuff.. At this price, I might get one too.

dang, I was hoping it was instore. If it was, I buy it at a heartbeat. I need a damn TV. I don't like playing games on a 19 inch monitor.

Does anyone know how the return process works exactly? Is there a certain shipping method you would need to use when sending it back?

So..I'm about to pull the trigger on this one. Anybody know how delivery works? I've never ordered anything this big or heavy. Are we talking UPS, freight? I'm clueless. Any info would be great.

I took the dive today, this is the best deal I've seen on an HDTV, let alone a widescreen one and greater than 27 inches. I can easily justify 2 weeks pay to replace my decade old 21 inch color blotching Panasonic. It's gonna be tough getting it in my room though, 140 lbs is a beast. I'll let you all know how it turns out when it (hopefully) comes next week.

[quote name='russtophiles']I took the dive today, this is the best deal I've seen on an HDTV, let alone a widescreen one and greater than 27 inches. I can easily justify 2 weeks pay to replace my decade old 21 inch color blotching Panasonic. It's gonna be tough getting it in my room though, 140 lbs is a beast. I'll let you all know how it turns out when it (hopefully) comes next week.[/QUOTE]
I'm replacing either a 1982 Zenith or a 1984 RCA with this, both 19 inches.

Now, the Philips site says on larger TV's they do freight, and others they do ground shipping. Not sure what this falls under, but I'm sure I'll find out as soon as it ships.

As for the return process, they arrange shipping and a pickup for you, and they pay. But it has to be within the warranty, its only 90 days, so don't hesitate about even the most minor problem.

wow now thats what I call a deal!!! BTW they say its factory renewed does this mean it has been used in anyway????

I almost bought one, I need to think if I'll have room since i have an entertainment center in my room that houses my 27" Zenith and my systems and Kenwood system, I might need to buy another center for this TV...Hmmmm I'll wait for impressions from people that already ordered. Please post when you have TV setup and playing videogames.

[quote name='modium']So..I'm about to pull the trigger on this one. Anybody know how delivery works? I've never ordered anything this big or heavy. Are we talking UPS, freight? I'm clueless. Any info would be great.[/QUOTE]

When I ordered from them they used FedEX. The package was about 50 pounds or so. I felt bad for the guy having to carry it up the stairs. :(

[quote name='Pratt75']How long do they take to ship?[/QUOTE]

I put it in my order on a weekend and had my stuff on Friday. I wasn't even expecting it until that next Monday.

So I'd say 4-5 days.

woooooooo!!!! Thanks for the info mmn. I think by tomorrow I will be purchasing. Are you happy with the product mmn??

[quote name='Pratt75']woooooooo!!!! Thanks for the info mmn. I think by tomorrow I will be purchasing. Are you happy with the product mmn??[/QUOTE]

Very. I ordered a Magnavox home theater that does Dolby Digital and all that fun stuff for $100 shipped. Its been fantastic. Doesn't do Pro Logic II, but it does DTS and Dolby Digital and pretty much everything else I need it to do for gaming and TV.

Best $100 I've ever spent.

Awesome, that sounds great. I think I'll be ordering tomorrow. How do the games look on the TV?(Edited for the a$$hat)

[quote name='Pratt75']Awesome, that sounds great. I think I'll be ordering tomorrow. How do the games look on it?[/QUOTE]

I imagine as good as games could look, on a home theater system...

[quote name='defiance_17']I imagine as good as games could look, on a home theater system...[/QUOTE]

On the tv a$$hat.

This is an old deal, and it's not that "great" of a deal....as it is a lower-end HDTV. But alas, if this is all that you can afford...

Although we are all CAG here, I tend to believe that there are still somethings that are well worth the extra expense. Video games are a different story.

[quote name='Pratt75']On the tv a$$hat.[/QUOTE]

How would he know? He ordered a theater system. And that question was asked (and answered) several times. Don't be lazy and ignorant and then hurl insults at me, you clown.

[quote name='Pratt75']Do you have any recommendations for the CAG's?[/QUOTE]

I am by no means an AV expert, but after spending some quality time in the AVforums, it seems as if it is agreed that the best bargain for HD cheapos are the Sanyo HD sets at Wal-mart. Most of y'all will be able to go there and pick it up, and save on the shipping.....the their Sanyo, I believe a 32" regular aspect ratio and 30" widescreen and other iterations all have integrated tuners and are exceptional sets. Plus Sanyo has a great warranty reputation with Wal-mart. These sell from anywhere from the high 500s to the high 600s. I've seen all types of prices listed, as there are different iterations and model.

I was looking for other peoples opinions on the subject before making a pricey purchase. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. If me asking for multiple opinions on a product bothers you defiance so be it. IHow is that lazy and ignorant? I'm not looking to make any enemies here at CAG so I aplogize for my statement to you but I was under the impression he had the tv and bought a home theater system to along with it. If I misread it excuse me for my terrible transgression.

First of all, MAJOR thanks to the original poster.

Second, Lurk... your comparing Sanyo and Philips? Wow, not sure I could do that with a straight face. EVEN on April Fools Day. No offense.

Third... WOW. I can't believe this deal! I just finished talking with a buddy who recently bought a 27" NON-widescreen set. In his case, he needed something to fit his wife's armoire, and a widescreen just wouldn't do. So he spent $100 more on a 4:3 set that doesn't have quite the features of this unit. I feel bad for him, because he's a GREAT guy and I think he'd LOVE this set.

Meanwhile, I've been considering getting a 23" widescreen LCD display for my PC. I figured I could use that for HDTV, gaming, you name it. But even a refurb was gonna be about $1500. This way, I've got a nice improvement on my many moon old Sony 27", HDTV compatible, and MCE will still work nicely with it. ;)

Please forgive me for running off at the fingers. WHAT A STEAL!!! :D

[quote name='merkman']First of all, MAJOR thanks to the original poster.

Second, Lurk... your comparing Sanyo and Philips? Wow, not sure I could do that with a straight face. EVEN on April Fools Day. No offense.

Third... WOW. I can't believe this deal! I just finished talking with a buddy who recently bought a 27" NON-widescreen set. In his case, he needed something to fit his wife's armoire, and a widescreen just wouldn't do. So he spent $100 more on a 4:3 set that doesn't have quite the features of this unit. I feel bad for him, because he's a GREAT guy and I think he'd LOVE this set.

Meanwhile, I've been considering getting a 23" widescreen LCD display for my PC. I figured I could use that for HDTV, gaming, you name it. But even a refurb was gonna be about $1500. This way, I've got a nice improvement on my many moon old Sony 27", HDTV compatible, and MCE will still work nicely with it. ;)

Please forgive me for running off at the fingers. WHAT A STEAL!!! :D[/QUOTE]

Before looking at the brand name alone...look at who specifically makes the television set. Most tvs nowadays are rebadged. If we went on name alone, everyone would own a a crappy Sony tv....and everyone knows that Sony no longer makes quality tvs, HD or not, high end and consumer level. I assure you that the Sanyo destroys the Philips. Take a look and see the quality.

People love those Sanyo TVs from Walmart but they seem to have geometry problems. My roommate has one and none of the lines are straight on it.

[quote name='lurknomore']This is an old deal, and it's not that "great" of a deal....as it is a lower-end HDTV. But alas, if this is all that you can afford...

Although we are all CAG here, I tend to believe that there are still somethings that are well worth the extra expense. Video games are a different story.[/QUOTE]
Its an old deal, but a new price. It wasn't this low until fairly recently, it was about $100 more not too long ago.

As for the Sanyo's at Walmart, the comperable Sanyo is $600, this is $359. There is no contest on price. The Sanyo does have an OTA tuner, but most people wouldn't use that. Sanyo's quality and reliability are probably a little better than Philips, but still not great.

Given the limited amount of money I had to spend on a TV, this is a better deal than something you'd find at a similar price. The only other HDTV in the pricerange, is a 27" Advent non-widescreen for $400, and I wouldn't expect any quality there. 32" regular TV's go in this pricerange.

If you've got the money to spend, then you could certainly do a lot better. But a lot of people don't have that kind of money, or don't have the inclination to spend that kind of money, and for them, this is a very good deal.

[quote name='mmn']People love those Sanyo TVs from Walmart but they seem to have geometry problems. My roommate has one and none of the lines are straight on it.[/QUOTE]
I've heard that a lot about Sanyo's, but I think some of those problems are fixable through the service menu.

[quote name='dafoomie']As for the Sanyo's at Walmart, the comperable Sanyo is $600, this is $359. There is no contest on price. The Sanyo does have an OTA tuner, but most people wouldn't use that. Sanyo's quality and reliability are probably a little better than Philips, but still not great.

Given the limited amount of money I had to spend on a TV, this is a better deal than something you'd find at a similar price. The only other HDTV in the pricerange, is a 27" Advent non-widescreen for $400, and I wouldn't expect any quality there. 32" regular TV's go in this pricerange.

If you've got the money to spend, then you could certainly do a lot better. But a lot of people don't have that kind of money, or don't have the inclination to spend that kind of money, and for them, this is a very good deal.[/QUOTE]

Well said dafoomie. thats the way i see it too.
I finally caved in, the idea of playing games on HDTV and watching my widescreen dvd collection on a widescreen tv is to hard to pass up for less than $400

Here's the bottom line : HDTV is not mainstream yet. Its going to be at LEAST a year or two before it becomes the standard. This is a great TV for someone who wants HDTV quality GAMING and the ability to watch DVDs in 1080i. It will definitely last you a year or two until HD is more common and would be a great "backup" set in the future for your bedroom.

Although honestly, if you can wait until November, they should have deals similar to this on new sets for Black Friday.

Sony's are crap? Now you're stepping on my toes. I've used Sony TV's, walkmen, Telephones, Speakers, and more for 20+ years. And there is no way Sanyo TV's can beat a Sony WEGA.

Personally, I hope you enjoy your TV. I intend to enjoy my new Philips widescreen. For the price, it should kick ass.

[quote name='merkman']Sony's are crap? Now you're stepping on my toes. I've used Sony TV's, walkmen, Telephones, Speakers, and more for 20+ years. And there is no way Sanyo TV's can beat a Sony WEGA.

Personally, I hope you enjoy your TV. I intend to enjoy my new Philips widescreen. For the price, it should kick ass.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Sony makes inferior products. Maybe 10+ years ago, Sony had some real quality consumer electronics, specifically with televisions and the like...but this is Sony's MO. Introduce great technology...sell at a premium, once a brand is established....bring out the crap and inferior product at the same selling points. No self-respecting AV person has a bit of Sony...no sensible consumer should look to Sony as a brand representing quality either. They are marketing wizzes, but their products are 9 times out of ten over-prices and of poorer quality.

The Sony WEGAs were only top of the line t.v.s, but they are no longer. I assure you of this. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Personally, I've found Panasonic products iffy over the years. Requiring replacement long before my Sony products do.

No self-respecting person has a bit of Sony? What kind of Shaq-fu'ing comment is that? Clearly your looking for a fight, or just an ass from time to time. Pretty rude IMHO.

Whatever your problem with Sony, why don't you just step off your soap box and chill. After all, my main reason for coming to this thread was to thank the original poster for the information, and explain how excited I am to get a new TV. Instead, I seem to be in a bitching war. And that certainly isn't what I come to CheapAssGamer for.

So pardon me while I go play Xbox or PS2 on my Sony TV. Or maybe I'll go play a game on my Sony PSP, if I don't feel like listening to music or watching a video. After all, Sony does make more products than many companies combined, and many of them ROCK!

not sure if this is the exact same set I have but i got a similar deal a while back on refurbed 30" philips HDTV. i've only had one gripe about it besides the weight (120 pounds). When using a 480p video source with this set, i can no longer control screen aspect ratio, ie the wide, full, and inbetween modes everything gets stretched to wide aspect ratio no matter what. this saved me some headache with halo2 but when watching 4:3 tv show dvds its a pain. I havent had the money to blow on an OTA tuner and dont subscribe to satelite or cable so I havent had a chance to test a 1080i source but I'm pretty sure the issue would be there too. Just a heads up, i still think its a good deal.

[quote name='merkman']Personally, I've found Panasonic products iffy over the years. Requiring replacement long before my Sony products do.

No self-respecting person has a bit of Sony? What kind of Shaq-fu'ing comment is that? Clearly your looking for a fight, or just an ass from time to time. Pretty rude IMHO.

Whatever your problem with Sony, why don't you just step off your soap box and chill. After all, my main reason for coming to this thread was to thank the original poster for the information, and explain how excited I am to get a new TV. Instead, I seem to be in a bitching war. And that certainly isn't what I come to CheapAssGamer for.

So pardon me while I go play Xbox or PS2 on my Sony TV. Or maybe I'll go play a game on my Sony PSP, if I don't feel like listening to music or watching a video. After all, Sony does make more products than many companies combined, and many of them ROCK![/QUOTE]

actually sanyo is a very decent company and i consider panasonic to be up there with toshiba and sony.

bread's done
Back